• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Also, I feel like I can't ever change my avatar based on the fact that everyone correlates Booker Dewitt and Scoliosis Jones now lol

Never change your avatar! KumaOso stopped having a red panda in his avatar and now he's dead to me.

I don't think anyone really wants Chrom to replace Ike, just that people think that it's likely to happen so might as well get behind it early so they can be right. Heck, in an ideal impossiSmash we'd have like seven FE characters as well as all the characters from other franchises we want... it's more a question as to what people think is possible and what we'd like to see given the limitations.

I wish the most logical FE representatives weren't so similar, though... I view this as a failing on IS's part.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Stop using that ****ing "need" word, it makes you look like an idiot.
I think we should just agree that we have differing opinions on Fire Emblem in general. Really nothing to get worked up about. I like Chrom as prospect for Smash, you don't. Not that big a deal.

My basis for Fire Emblem getting a third rep comes from the fact that the popularity of the series has skyrocketed. It definitely is becoming a stronger series, especially after Awakening. That's all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I strongly believe Fire Emblem should get 3 reps. Now who the 3rd one should be is up for debate (and I don't want to bring up that topic again for reasons everyone knows.)

nessokman

Smash Lord
Lucina won't be in it, he clothing is exactly the same as marth's, which would be confusing considering they use the same sword (Falchion/parallel falchion) it would be better for chrom due to his better physical appearance

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think we should just agree that we have differing opinions on Fire Emblem in general. Really nothing to get worked up about. I like Chrom as prospect for Smash, you don't. Not that big a deal.

My basis for Fire Emblem getting a third rep comes from the fact that the popularity of the series has skyrocketed. It definitely is becoming a stronger series, especially after Awakening. That's all.
But we don't need this character. You should say want instead of need, because the word need sounds like we're forced to get the character whether we want it or not, which is actually not the case. There is no character we absolutely need and it won't effect the quality regardless on what happens

Also what is with idiots harboring on the game Fire Emblem: Awakening being the reason why Chrom will be included? If the game is so good, throw in music, stages, stickers, and trophies. That should be enough to satisfy the sheep.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I would say Chrom due to how the series seems to be represented in smash agreed I also would love to have a 3rd character. Maybe the Shadow version of your character that you make considering that its everyone. and the final smash could be his dragon form. I mean think about it its also good because it could take the base attributes for tactician which also gives a huge moveset direction considering Tactican could use both Swords+Magic and also had Attributes. They could just use the hooded version so that way it could work as both the Male/Female representation.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Also what is with idiots harboring on the game Fire Emblem: Awakening being the reason why Chrom will be included? If the game is so good, throw in music, stages, stickers, and trophies. That should be enough to satisfy the sheep.
That's really not a stupid assumption to make. And it certainly doesn't make somebody an idiot for thinking that simply because its not consistent to your own outlook. Popular games generally get represented. Popular and recent games almost certainly will be represented in some way. A character is one way that will happen and the game itself is one of many reasons why sakurai might chose somebody like chrom. The times when games like awakening do not get a character is usually when the cannot get a character due to the nature of their potential representative. Chrom is fully capable of being in smash.
Please if your going to keep up with your shallow skepticism, keep it off the FE threads. We all get it now. You don't want a FE rep.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Please if your going to keep up with your shallow skepticism, keep it off the FE threads. We all get it now. You don't want a FE rep.
To be fair, I dont think he has anything against FE in general.. Just mostly Chrom because he's a little bland and he's kinda the flavor of the month, which is kinda true. If he doesn't get into Smash 4, I don't think we'd see many people clamoring for him if Smash 5 rolls around... And using the logic of most Chrom supporters, even if he got into Smash 4, he'd be replaced by the most recent lord in Smash 5. D:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To clarify, I'm not saying that Chrom needs to be the rep. I'm saying that Fire Emblem in my opinion needs another rep because it is a series on the rise.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nope, nothing against Fire Emblem in general. Big fan actually.

The problem lies in Chrom himself. He's one of those characters that is plagued with heavy amounts of skepticism and flimsy logic. It has nothing to do with spite towards to Fire Emblem series, because if that was the case you'd see me being far more hostile on a lot of these threads.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Because the game is incredibly popular and Smash has a history of promoting the most recent FE rep? It's rather rude of you to call people "idiots" when Awakening's popularity and recency are very legitimate arguments for the likelihood of Chrom's inclusion. To deny so is rather foolish given that Smash loves promoting the new FE hotness, and that we know for a fact Sakurai takes into consideration what character is "hot" now for at least one franchise when selecting the roster. Why don't you tone the hostility down?

FE:A certainly doesn't mean that we need Chrom, but it does mean that he is a very likely newcomer. "Flavor of the month" is hardly an argument against any character's inclusion given Smash's history of including "flavor of the month" characters. Popularity at the time of a Smash game's release absolutely does matter.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think if we get a FE:A character it should be the Avatar. He's just as important to Awakening as Chrom is and he can represent something different, that being his magic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Look, people should want Chrom for Chrom, not because of the game he originated from. Come on now, it should be common sense at this point to support a character for the character. If the game of origin is going to be the de facto reason to include a character, then it's going to age poorly once the next hot thing rolls around the corner.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Look, people should want Chrom for Chrom, not because of the game he originated from. Come on now, it should be common sense at this point to support a character for the character. If the game of origin is going to be the de facto reason to include a character, then it's going to age poorly once the next hot thing rolls around the corner.
I do want Chrom for Chrom, as I expect most other Chrom fans do. That's not the issue here. You called anybody who expects Chrom in SSB4 based on Awakening an "idiot". That's absurd. Regardless of whether or not you like the character, Chrom is certainly one of the more likely newcomers and it's hardly unreasonable to recognize him as such.

Yes, you don't like Chrom. We get it, and that's fine. However, you really need to tone down the baseless hostility here. Calling Awakening fans "idiots" and "sheep" is petulant and needlessly hostile.

I'd also point out that Roy was included based on his game and not any love for the character, and yet that turned out just fine. Unless you're saying that Melee's roster has "aged poorly"?

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. Lots of people love Chrom. o.o The relevance of the character and the popularity of his game is used as a supporting reasoning to believe he will appear, but I figured the appreciation for Chrom goes without saying. He is, after all, the most popular male character in a very high-selling game, and unlike the NA Facebook poll, that one had better feedback, no errors and included the children characters.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Chrom's honestly a really cool character. His criticisms don't actually don't actually say hes an inherently bad character. They just say hes similar to other lords and the lack of distinction is bad. Its only in situations where hes matched with these similar lords that people say hes a bad character. But put him alone and hes perfectly fine.

If Sakurai does keep Ike and add chrom, I trust that he'll be able to add some variety to the cast. (Marth = Noble, Quick, Fencer/ Ike - RD, brutal, strong/ Chrom= Regal, balanced) and robin tactical, magic.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Stop using that ****ing "need" word, it makes you look like an idiot.
I think smash needs a third fire emblem rep. I don't really care how idiotic it makes me sound. It's not that I'm saying there is absolutely no way to please fans without 3 fire emblem reps, I'm saying it because if we don't get three I could quite possibly to mentally insane. Sakurai wouldn't want that on his conscience would he?

Nope, nothing against Fire Emblem in general. Big fan actually.

The problem lies in Chrom himself. He's one of those characters that is plagued with heavy amounts of skepticism and flimsy logic. It has nothing to do with spite towards to Fire Emblem series, because if that was the case you'd see me being far more hostile on a lot of these threads.
I will admit, there are plenty of people who get on the Chrom bandwagon. But just because a character is getting bandwagoned does not make them a bad character for smash. I am 100 % sure that nearly as many people bandwagoned onto Ike, yet everyone admits that Ike was added due to his popularity and not his recentness. If you want to see some people who have solid logic to back Chrom up, read the logic in this thread. There are people with flimsy logic toward Chrom, but we aren't those people. I am sure there are plenty of people with horribly flimsy logic towards the likes of Ridley and king k and palutena and little Mac. Yet nobody says that they are unlikely due to these flimsy arguments. Also scoliosis isn't a ****ing idiot, he knows his ****.

Also, nice avatar :p to anyone who thinks habanero doesn't like fire emblem, check out his avatar.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In the process of creating a Chrom moveset. I will post it when I get the chance.

Also, thank you Noler_Mass for sticking up for me :awesome:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Anytime bro :D

Also sorry about never really working on this thread. Right after I got it is kind of when I just got bored with all this stuff since there haven't been any announcements in a while... What I need is a good announcement to hype me up to make this thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Have I already mentoined that I'll hate Chrom forever if he takes Ike's spot on the roster?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Have I already mentoined that I'll hate Chrom forever if he takes Ike's spot on the roster?
That's a grudge, not a very good reason to hate a character. The lack of Ike is in no way part of Chrom's character so he shouldn't be judged for it.

If it does happen (not saying it will) just give him a chance. Unnecessary spite wont make the game more enjoyable for you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucario never did it for me either in trade for Mewtwo. I won't expect any difference between Ike and Chrom.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Implying that Ike will get cut for Chrom? I seriously doubt that would happen. Would it have been safe to say that if Roy were brought into Brawl we would see something similar to Falco/Wolf and 'Luigi-fy' him? I believe that is entirely plausible, with that being said Ike would have brought in more to the table than Roy by bringing in a completely different, non-Lugified, heavy-weight moveset, something Roy would most likely would not have accomplished.

At the same time we could've seen a fire-brandishing, ranged sword fighter as well, but as to why that didn't happen is beyond me.

Ike and Marth are entirely unique between themselves so there is no need for playstyle improvement, what Chrom (Or any 3rd Fire Emblem representative for that matter) needs to do to be successful in Smash isn't to replace Ike as a heavy-weight character, but to bring in a playstyle that Ike and Marth cannot provide. As we've said before all three of them can coexist with each other, and all three can have unique movesets. (Chrom can be skill based, regal-middle weight, utilize spear and sword, low % combo maniac, etc., or he can an amalgamation of any of the aforementioned)

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
This was more directed at Habenero/ anyone who truly believes Chrom is going to replace Ike. (Assuming this is what Habenero was implying)
But I agree with you 100%, Chrom's character shouldn't be judged for the lack of Ike.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This was more directed at Habenero/ anyone who truly believes Chrom is going to replace Ike. (Assuming this is what Habenero was implying)
But I agree with you 100%, Chrom's character shouldn't be judged for the lack of Ike.
Never said Chrom was going to replace Ike, in fact I'm actually expecting the opposite. Ike stays and we don't get Chrom.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I would say Sakurai development team priorities in character creation:

The main veterans>Newcomers>Brawl veterans>Melee veterans....

Marth= Main Veteran

Chrom=New comer

Ike = Brawl veteran

Roy = Melee veteran

Marth prio>Chrom prio> Ike prio> Roy prio

Assuming Chrom was the newcomer.....

Ike might be a main veteran for the fact the he was a starter in SSBB, he is the first starter from the series too....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I would say Sakurai development team priorities in character creation:

The main veterans>Newcomers>Brawl veterans>Melee veterans....

Marth= Main Veteran

Chrom=New comer

Ike = Brawl veteran

Roy = Melee veteran

Marth prio>Chrom prio> Ike prio> Roy prio

Assuming Chrom was the newcomer.....

Ike might be a main veteran for the fact the he was a starter in SSBB, he is the first starter from the series too....
Why on earth are you saying things when you or (anyone, for that matter) have absolutely zero idea about Sakurai's thought process? (>_>)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if.....

Our roster was Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom?

Would you guys be satisfied with that?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure a lot of people will really hate Chrom if he's an inferior successor to Ike.
And a lot of people would have really hated Ike if he was an inferior successor to Roy, but he wasn't.

I find your lack of faith in Sakurai disturbing.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Why on earth are you saying things when you or (anyone, for that matter) have absolutely zero idea about Sakurai's thought process? (>_>)
It's the logical steps, that's how brawl was made...Newcomers were favored over Melee veterans.....you can say Lucario and Ike didn't replace Mew Two and Roy, but the thing is Ike and Lucario we programmed before Mewtwo and Roy because Sakurai prioritized the new comers ,in essence yes Lucario and Ike replaced them...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I've lost faith for everything a long time ago.
Fair enough, but Sakurai's track record is good enough that I fully trust him to be able to make any newcomer fun and appealing.

If Ike goes, which I think is a tossup, I fully expect his successor, whoever it is, to be a great replacement.

I'd much rather see the series bump to 3 slots with Marth, Ike and an Awakening rep, though, and I think that the chances of that happening are at least decent.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's the logical steps, that's how brawl was made...Newcomers were favored over Melee veterans.....you can say Lucario and Ike didn't replace Mew Two and Roy, but the thing is Ike and Lucario we programmed before Mewtwo and Roy because Sakurai prioritized the new comers ,in essence yes Lucario and Ike replaced them...
All we know is that newcomers got prioritized over veterans.

And the newcomer was not an ordinary one. :sonic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom