• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As an aside, I am quite curious as to how much influence Intelligent Systems has on who Sakurai picks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As an aside, I am quite curious as to how much influence Intelligent Systems has on who Sakurai picks.
He occasionally asks them for advice.

Other than that, they really don't affect much.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
All we know is that newcomers got prioritized over veterans.

And the newcomer was not an ordinary one. :sonic:
It doesn't take a genius to figure out the priorities, Sakurai latest statements showed that he doesn't see all the characters from SSB history to be included, I'm pretty sure Sakurai will priortize Brawl veterans over Melee veterans, because alot of the people got over the Melee veteran cuts.....he will try not to cut anyone from Brawl to avoid what happened with Melee...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think IntSys gets a say only if Sakurai goes to them for suggestions in case he can't decide on the Fire Emblem roster. And he went for suggestions for both Melee (IS apparently suggested Leif but Sakurai chose Roy, though I'm not fully sure) and Brawl (that's how Ike got in.)

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the priorities, Sakurai latest statements showed that he doesn't see all the characters from SSB history to be included, I'm pretty sure Sakurai will priortize Brawl veterans over Melee veterans, because alot of the people got over the Melee veteran cuts.....he will try not to cut anyone from Brawl to avoid what happened with Melee...
I get your point,but I really don't see Sakurai giving Chrom priority over Ike.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think IntSys gets a say only if Sakurai goes to them for suggestions in case he can't decide on the Fire Emblem roster. And he went for suggestions for both Melee (IS apparently suggested Leif but Sakurai chose Roy, though I'm not fully sure) and Brawl (that's how Ike got in.)
Actually Sakurai wanted Leif originally but IS gave him a sneak peak and Sakurai decided Roy was the best fit.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

I get your point,but I really don't see Sakurai giving Chrom priority over Ike.
I understand, Ike maybe maybe is considered a main veteran for the sole reason of being a starter in Brawl....

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
He occasionally asks them for advice.

Other than that, they really don't affect much.
Well considering the last two picks besides Marth were at Intelligent Systems' suggestion, they have a pretty big influence. Sakurai wouldn't even know Roy existed until IS showed him the character.

It's not Chrom has priority over Ike. FE already has it's priority character in Marth. Everything else is up to the developers I think.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Well considering the last two picks besides Marth were at Intelligent Systems' suggestion, they have a pretty big influence. Sakurai wouldn't even know Roy existed until IS showed him the character.

It's not Chrom has priority over Ike. FE already has it's priority character in Marth. Everything else is up to the developers I think.
Ike is actually second to Marth, they Opened the character DLCs with Marth and closed with Ike, and Ike is the only one with descendant in Awakening....

Everyone need to know this guy:

This is Priam (Paris) the descendant of Ike !

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here is my moveset for Chrom. He is fairly different from the other two, save for maybe a few moves. Otherwise I feel he is his own character.

Chrom Moveset:

Special Attacks:

B: Aether - Charged, if landed correctly, can become a Two-Hit attack

Side B: Sword Rush: Similar to Ike’s Side B in Brawl, but not charged. Chrom rushes with an upward strike. Can be used to recover.

Up B: Luna: Chrom summons Wind, which can do damage to the opponent and recover.

Down B: Rally: Chrom boosts his Attack strength for a limited time. The longer it charges, the longer it lasts. (can only be charged for 4 seconds, and will last for a max of 10 seconds)

Basic Attacks:

A: Basic Punch
A+A: Punch followed by strike with the hilt of the Falchion
A+A+A: Punch, hilt strike and then slash to end the combo

A Side Tilt: Upward Diagonal Slash
A Downward Tilt: Forward low stab
A Upward Tilt: Upward Slice

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: A charged leaping downward slice. Chrom leaps forward and brings the Falchion down upon his enemy. If the opponent is hit point blank with the initial leap, they can set into a combo with the end strike, dealing additional damage and knock back.

Downward Smash: Chrom spins the Falchion at his feet round him in a circular motion. About as fast as Wolf’s down smash in Brawl.

Upward Smash: Essentially Marth’s Up Smash.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Chrom curls into a circle and spins with the Falchion. Similar in appearance to Lloyd Irving’s (Tales of Symphonia) Tempest attack, without the horizontal movement.

Forward Air: Forward Swipe

Backward Air: Backward Slash

Downward Air: Chrom turns upside down and spins with the Falchion for a multi-hit attack. Similar to Meta Knight’s side special, without the delay and directional capabilities.

Upward Air: Chrom swats the Falchion above him back and forth for a Two-Hit combo.

Grabs:

Pummel: Chrom knees the grabbed opponent.

Forward throw: Chrom Slashes the opponent forward

Backward Throw: Chrom Slashes the opponent as he throws them behind him.

Upward Throw: Chrom strikes with a two handed upward slash of the Falchion, sending the opponent rocketing upward.

Downward throw: Chrom tosses the opponent to the ground and gives them The People’s Elbow (I had to throw this in here lol)

Final Smash:

Double Falchion (ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY :troll:) - Lucina appears on stage, and any opponent who is within range of Chrom activating the Final Smash will be caught, and struck by a dual attack by Chrom and Lucina. (I forget who came up with this, but this is not originally my idea, and I love it!)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Final Smash:

Double Falchion (ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY :troll:) - Lucina appears on stage, and any opponent who is within range of Chrom activating the Final Smash will be caught, and struck by a dual attack by Chrom and Lucina. (I forget who came up with this, but this is not originally my idea, and I love it!)
Nice moveset. I made up a Final Smash for Lucina like this, and I switched it around for Chrom on this thread.
Here's my original post:
Duel Awakening
Lucina is warped next to Chrom. Chrom attacks forward, hitting any in front, while Lucina attacks anyone behind. After a few strikes (in the same manner as a brave sword) , they switch, doing the same to anyone in front on the other side. Finally, they hit one blue flamed Aether on their respective sides to knock any opponents out of sight.
Regardless of which the Awakening reps get in, I hope they showcase the other lord somehow (should either of the lords get in).

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Here is my moveset for Chrom. He is fairly different from the other two, save for maybe a few moves. Otherwise I feel he is his own character.

Chrom Moveset:

Special Attacks:

B: Aether - Charged, if landed correctly, can become a Two-Hit attack

Side B: Sword Rush: Similar to Ike’s Side B in Brawl, but not charged. Chrom rushes with an upward strike. Can be used to recover.

Up B: Luna: Chrom summons Wind, which can do damage to the opponent and recover.

Down B: Rally: Chrom boosts his Attack strength for a limited time. The longer it charges, the longer it lasts. (can only be charged for 4 seconds, and will last for a max of 10 seconds)

Basic Attacks:

A: Basic Punch
A+A: Punch followed by strike with the hilt of the Falchion
A+A+A: Punch, hilt strike and then slash to end the combo

A Side Tilt: Upward Diagonal Slash
A Downward Tilt: Forward low stab
A Upward Tilt: Upward Slice

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: A charged leaping downward slice. Chrom leaps forward and brings the Falchion down upon his enemy. If the opponent is hit point blank with the initial leap, they can set into a combo with the end strike, dealing additional damage and knock back.

Downward Smash: Chrom spins the Falchion at his feet round him in a circular motion. About as fast as Wolf’s down smash in Brawl.

Upward Smash: Essentially Marth’s Up Smash.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Chrom curls into a circle and spins with the Falchion. Similar in appearance to Lloyd Irving’s (Tales of Symphonia) Tempest attack, without the horizontal movement.

Forward Air: Forward Swipe

Backward Air: Backward Slash

Downward Air: Chrom turns upside down and spins with the Falchion for a multi-hit attack. Similar to Meta Knight’s side special, without the delay and directional capabilities.

Upward Air: Chrom swats the Falchion above him back and forth for a Two-Hit combo.

Grabs:

Pummel: Chrom knees the grabbed opponent.

Forward throw: Chrom Slashes the opponent forward

Backward Throw: Chrom Slashes the opponent as he throws them behind him.

Upward Throw: Chrom strikes with a two handed upward slash of the Falchion, sending the opponent rocketing upward.

Downward throw: Chrom tosses the opponent to the ground and gives them The People’s Elbow (I had to throw this in here lol)

Final Smash:

What's that deal with Wind and Chrom ? because seriously it makes no sense and please don't use the Ike=Eruption argument, Eruption probably won't come back even though Ike has Earth Affinity in his game which might explain this...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Normal B :

Exalted Falchion:

Chrom Charges his Sword until it glows and becomes the exalted Falchion it will remain charged and you need to push B again to unleash the Power of Exalted Falchion it's not Ranged it's a Sword Slash but very powerful....it's as Powerful as Samus blaster and as fast....

This is the best thing for him I think...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
What's that deal with Wind and Chrom ? because seriously it makes no sense and please don't use the Ike=Eruption argument, Eruption probably won't come back even though Ike has Earth Affinity in his game which might explain this...

I don't why anyone else does, but it could because this quote:
"You are the wind at my back and the sword at my side. Together, my love, we shall build a peaceful world... just you and me." - Chrom's confession quote to a female Robin.
Having wind attacks means that Robin is always with him.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I don't why anyone else does, but it could because this quote:
"You are the wind at my back and the sword at my side. Together, my love, we shall build a peaceful world... just you and me." - Chrom's confession quote to a female Robin.
Having wind attacks means that Robin is always with him.
Not sufficient.....

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I know I've asked this before, but what archetype do you people feel Chrom would fit into? I know people have said "jack-of-all-trades" and "somewhere between Marth and Ike". But I'm just not too sure if being the middle road between Marth and Ike would interest me. I'm sure Chrom could be something more...

Well, here's how I'm envisioning Chrom (not that I'm expecting him to be like this if he were to get in): For some attacks Chrom does low slashes, as well as jumping slashes. Perhaps overextending himself for the jump slashes (maybe Smash attacks), making him more vulnerable. But these attacks would have high damage output and could lead into combos. Idk why, but I picture him playing more on the defensive side (maybe due to his bulky Ike look?).

Incorporating the Fire Emblem (Shield of Seals) would help play more emphasis the defensive playstyle I think. So maybe a special like...

B v - Shield Thrust: Chrom uses the Shield of Seals for an offensive attack (like a shield bash/charge/creating shock waves/whatever) upon release but it could also be used as a reflector (if B v is held). A reflector that could either reflect projectiles or absorb them depending on the button input (whatever that may be). If absorbed, the Falchion will start to glow bright. Chrom's next Smash attack will be more powerful + have more knockback (similar to Lucas' Offense Up in Project M).

Idk...

Hong

The Strongest
Going into Sm4sh, what we have seen so far is slow is a lot less slow. This would make sense; while there are occasional mind-games, traps and whatnot, clearly Sakurai has overdone it in the past and slow attacks do not get used often enough. When half of your attacks are slow, it kind of creates stagnation in play style. With Namco influence, slow characters will still be slow, but not quite as drastic. We have seen it in Bowser, Samus and Link so far.

If Chrom is to replace Ike, we will essentially have a faster more maneuvarable Ike. Sakurai has emphasized making more use of what each character can offer, that only they can do, so I hope we will see some Javelin or Levin Sword action. If Ike is still somehow still around and we get Chrom, it could be just about anything.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Going into Sm4sh, what we have seen so far is slow is a lot less slow. This would make sense; while there are occasional mind-games, traps and whatnot, clearly Sakurai has overdone it in the past and slow attacks do not get used often enough. When half of your attacks are slow, it kind of creates stagnation in play style. With Namco influence, slow characters will still be slow, but not quite as drastic. We have seen it in Bowser, Samus and Link so far.

If Chrom is to replace Ike, we will essentially have a faster more maneuvarable Ike. Sakurai has emphasized making more use of what each character can offer, that only they can do, so I hope we will see some Javelin or Levin Sword action. If Ike is still somehow still around and we get Chrom, it could be just about anything.
Ike in PoR and RD is quite the acrobatic, on the other hand Chrom the only Acrobatic thing about him is his cape he is quite the stiff guy...

Hong

The Strongest
Mostly.

Ike in Path of Radiance is a Mercenary in both occupation and form. As far as stats are concerned, overall hard-hitter, robust enough to fill in as a blocker, and actually pretty good speed.
Radiant Dawn Ike was more on the brute-side of mercenaries, being statistically relatively slow, but even stronger and tougher than he was before.
Of course in either game, in terms of animation and portrayal he is, as you said, very acrobatic and quick on his feet. Not sure if Brawl wanted to express his attributes in RD (even then, it is acrobatic), or it was just done for the sake of definition.
Chrom seems to be a bit more like RD Ike in that he is very tough. In terms of portrayal, he is not as fancy as Ike, though on the other hand he is nowhere near as buff as RD Ike.

What I am trying to arrive at is they could basically manifest things in any way they want in order to make the roster as diverse as possible. I mean gosh, as long as they don't have Chrom wielding staves and tomes, I am happy with whatever they come up with. I am okay with them bending things around for the sake of fun gameplay to some extent. Like, if Anna was a playable character, I am okay with her using any item in the series, because her line has spanned several millenia and the seven realms, and she is very much open to interpretation. On the other hand, lead characters like Chrom or Marth or Ike have limitations that shouldn't be breached. Many of us are at ease with what was done with the Mother characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Basically I used the idea presented in the one video and put them together. I don't think it's too bad of an idea. Exalted Falchion I feel should be saved as a Final Smash or something, as in Awakening it's like the "ultimate weapon" of the game. Just my opinion though.

Other thoughts on my moveset?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Basically I used the idea presented in the one video and put them together. I don't think it's too bad of an idea. Exalted Falchion I feel should be saved as a Final Smash or something, as in Awakening it's like the "ultimate weapon" of the game. Just my opinion though.

Other thoughts on my moveset?

Even though Chrom's Aether is different than Ike's, I sort of feel like he still shouldn't have it (if Ike's still in the game).
And I guess I wouldn't really want to see Chrom have a side B that has a similar function to Ike's, y'know? It's important to make him seem very different from both Marth and Ike.

I like the idea of the Exalted Falchion being incorporated in some way... probably Final Smash.

I still want to see someone giving Chrom a moveset that actually has him actually having the Shield of Seals equipped. It may not fully be how people imagine Chrom, but it is cannon and it'd go a long way in differentiating him from his other lordy brethren.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Even though Chrom's Aether is different than Ike's, I sort of feel like he still shouldn't have it (if Ike's still in the game).
And I guess I wouldn't really want to see Chrom have a side B that has a similar function to Ike's, y'know? It's important to make him seem very different from both Marth and Ike.

I like the idea of the Exalted Falchion being incorporated in some way... probably Final Smash.

I still want to see someone giving Chrom a moveset that actually has him actually having the Shield of Seals equipped. It may not fully be how people imagine Chrom, but it is cannon and it'd go a long way in differentiating him from his other lordy brethren.
I think they can just rename the Aether to differentiate them. Like aerial Aether for Ike and Blue Aether for Chrom. Or they could both just have an aeriel Aether named Aether. They could have the same attack like Mario and Luigi both have Super Jump Punch but different properties.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Aether is a skill that remains the same, the difference is that Awakening had lazy Animators... they didn't animate Aether what they did was put Sol and Luna together and you get Aether.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Fans don't need to know Chrom's aether is aether. Simply don't make him yell it out.
It would still be called Aether in their trophies and in their official booklets.
Aether is a skill that remains the same, the difference is that Awakening had lazy Animators... they didn't animate Aether what they did was put Sol and Luna together and you get Aether.
Aether comprises of the same effect quality in both games. Sol and Luna changed properties themselves in Radiant Dawn. And I don't think they're lazy. Using Ike's form of Aether is kind of his signature move, and it would look weird if the great Lords did that. So they gave them a very contrasting type of strike.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Plus mercenaries return in that game. And aether's animation is actually the mercenary/hero's signature move.

They don't throw their swords in awakening but they occasionally do do the spinny thing.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. GBA games were the best for animation IMO, but RD has my favourite animation for the 3d games.

I am sure Aether being the way it is has nothing to do with Chrom's ability or style and everything to do with the stiff animation.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
My point was that a very similar animation already existed in game. If they wanted to mimic aether they could have used that one.
But yes I agree, animations could have been much better. Perhaps it had something to do with them not being aware of the 3DS's hardware. It is the reason why they created models with less joins than what you may see in RD/PoR.

Hong

The Strongest
I do not think merely flipping and slashing constitutes as "similar" in relativity to the intricacies of swordplay.

Aether has two key details. One is the throwing of the sword into the air and catch it before the descent.
The second is that, after the sword has impaled the enemy, the user does a flipping slash for additional damage.

In any event, given the fact that Aether in Awakening is just outright reusing the same two animations you get in many of their attacks, it has nothing to do with character fighting style and everything to do with the fact none of the skills have unique character animations. It is probably because they didn't want to have to re-envision Aether for all the different possible weapons, and did not want to make exceptions for specific weapon-classes. The cutscene, "Two Falchions", implies that Chrom is definitely athletic enough.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No offense but..... Does anyone else find that moveset extremely bland and boring? ;_;

It's literally just a bunch of moves stripped right from Ike and Marth... Which would be perfectly fine if it was supposed to be a clone character, but if it's supposed to be for completely original newcomer.. Then that's just kinda sad. T_T

Sorry.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Might be bland to you. But I thought that was a decent effort to make him different. There aren't THAT many moves like the other two in there, save for a few.

To each his own.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I still would like some ideas on what fighting archetype Chrom could fit into (anything besides being the middle road between Marth and Ike: a jack-of-all-trades)... ho-hum... I like to visualize these things since I don't have that much Chrom knowledge.

Some one mentioned equipping the Shield of Seals in a moveset. Not sure if it could be tricky to implant in the context of Smash, though I'm sure it can be done right... Though I don't really know myself, here are some ideas:

- Have the shield work like Link's. Wherever the shield's static position is, it will have a hitbox. The shield will block most projectiles if hit. Perhaps Chrom can also block attacks when moving and in the air

- Have the ability to bring out the shield during any attack/combo/whatever without any lag to block incoming attacks. Don't know how that will turn out...

- Have the Shield of Seals literally be Chrom's Shield, similar to how Yoshi has his own special shield. Chrom will bring out the shield in front of him as it glows. The shield "bubble" will look more distinguished, and the shield itself will have higher defences, causing the shield to not shrink. This prevents shield stabbing/poking and the shield could also have a faster restore time. Perhaps Chrom won't get stunned when the shield happens to get shattered, but just being unable to shield until the normal duration of the stun time is over (a few seconds). Of course this needs to be balanced, though I'm really not fond of the idea of not being able to jump out of shielding...

Anyway, an attempt at a moveset:

Overview

Chrom is essentially a rush down fighter with speed faster than Ike. Chrom does well close range but also has some moves that could be used for zoning purposes, making him a versatile fighter. Because of this, Chrom can play "keep-away" very well: range attack to force opponents to approach you, force opponents to become vulnerable/make mistakes, and then strike and engage.

Moveset

B - Javelin Thrust: Quickly throws a javelin that could be aimed slightly up or down, though it will always travel in a slight arch (like Link's arrows, though non-chargeable but with more distance). With the right input, Chrom will do a low poke with the javelin instead. This has good range and will cause opponents to trip if they are hit with the tip of the javelin.

B > - Blade Barrage: Charges in the direction faced doing multiple sword slashes. Tapping B > will extend the move, making Chrom keep moving/attacking until the duration of the attack is over (similar to MK's Mach Tornado). At any time during Blade Barrage, Chrom will activate Luna and/or Sol depending on the input. Chrom could initiate either one of the two moves (immediately ending the duration of Blade Barrage), or quickly input one after the other (ending Blade Barrage after the last move but essentially making Chrom's Aether).

Luna: A horizontal low slash with good range. This move bypasses shields and causes upwards knockback if successfully hit
Sol: A slash with less range. If successful, the moves heals half the damage dealt

B ^ - Marvellous Flight: By using the power of his phenomenal wind, Chrom flies upwards with a sword strike (think Marth's recovery). This move has a bit of start-up lag, but it can be slightly aimed at any angle. Once initiated and in the air, with the right input during any time of the attack, Chrom will do a spinning sword strike, cutting through the air (see here). Opponents caught in the attack will receive multiple hits, though it's relatively easy to escape. The final blow of the attack will do more knockback + damage.

B v - Shield of Seals: Chrom pulls out the Shield of Seals (which enlarges and starts to glow) in the direction he's facing. The shield will stay out as long as B v is held or until the duration of the attack is over. Upon initial release, the shield produces two slow-moving shock waves that travel from each side of Chrom for a short distance (the shield will not produce new shockwaves if there's already previous ones already on the stage). The shock waves act as a weak projectile if hit, but they also can reflect any incoming projectiles as well. totally did not rip-off Hsien-Ko's Gong. The shield itself reflect projectiles and blocks physical attacks. However, since it faces the direction Chrom's facing, Chrom is vulnerable from the back. The shield, however, can be aimed in any direction, even above and below Chrom (if in the air).

The more I write this, the more I get Pit vibes for some reason...idk...

Final Smash - Shepherd Raid: Chrom summons various members from his army: Lucina (not a Shepherd but she randomly appears...), Robin, Frederick, Lissa, Sumia, etc, to attack or swoop down on opponents. Some members help Chrom, such as Lissa healing him during her presences. Sumia also throws down rhubarb pies that stun opponents if hit.

Alternatively - Exalted Falchion: Chrom's Falchion starts to glow orange and the centre blue. All damage Chrom previously had is healed, and the sword rapidly heals Chrom if damage is done to him. The sword itself has a bigger hitbox; all standard and smash attacks have huge range and do more damage. All specials are now a holy strike: a powerful sword slash with good range that produces an arch-shaped glowing projectile in the direction faced. The holy strike can be charged; the longer it's charged, the bigger projectile hitbox and more damage it deals. Chrom could also fly with the power of wind. The sword returns to normal after the duration of the FS.

That's...all I could think of for now I guess. Unless if you want to put more emphasis on the Shield of Seals from one of the ideas I've mentioned before or something new because I'm not too sure how to make the shield thing work lol.

D

Deleted member

That's actually a pretty interesting set.
All that needs to be made are the normal attacks.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, incorporating the Shield of Seals and potentially Pair Up stuff is definitely the best way to develop a more unique moveset for Chrom. Would certainly require some thought, of course.

Whoever the FE newcomer is, if we get any, I'll be disappointed if they reuse any moves from other Lords, even Counter. Complete originality is possible, so there is really no excuse for reusing moves.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I'll give this another shot now that I better understand where people are coming from when it comes to uniqueness and diversity. The new moveset will incorporate old ideas from the first moveset I posted as well as several ideas mentioned before such as the Shield of Seals.

B: Critical Hit. This will be a chargeable attack but can be used even with partial charge. This attack will cause Chrom to swiftly leap-strike to an enemy while dealing a great amount of damage and knockback. This will be a two-hit attack in that the first hit will be relatively weak but locks the opponent in hit-stun while the second attack will deal a significant amount of damage and knockback the enemy. The leap can be partially controlled by tilting the control stick in forwards and backwards tilt will control how far Chrom leaps while an upward and downward tilt controls how high Chrom leaps.

B^: Falchion Finality. Chrom leaps straight into the air and crashes down with the Falcion as seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5EQcLJ9C4&t=1m23s] in this video [/url]. Because Chrom does not have a dash available to him in midair, his B^ would allow for greater horizontal coverage to make up for it.

Bv: Draw/Withdraw. Chrom will either draw or withdraw the Shield of Seals. His standard A-attacks and aerials will change slightly depending on if he wields the Shield of Seals or not (So some of his standard attacks, aerials, and combo strings will utilize the shield itself, this will be an important concept later). His B> will also change depending on whether or not Chrom wields the Shield of Seals.

(Without Shield of Seals)

B>: Dual Support+. Upon activation an ally of Chrom will appear and block an incoming attack depending on the nature of said attack. (Dual Guard+) If the attack is a projectile Chrom will summon Robin, if the attack is melee then Lucina appears instead. (Masked/Unmasked, whatever your preference is) After the initial attack is blocked Chrom will quickly retaliate with a slash with his Falchion, during the hitstun of this attack the summoned ally will also retaliate, thus performing a two-hit combo. (Dual Strike+)

If Lucina counterattacks then she can either perform a dash attack, upwards slash, or downwards slash depending on the directional tilt of the attack upon activation. The dash will provide the most knockback and send the target flying diagonally, the upwards slash sends the target straight into the air, and the downwards slash will cause a ground bounce/meteor effect depending on what is beneath the target.

If Robin counterattacks then he will send a bolt of ethereal energy in the direction Chrom is facing. This attack will travel across the screen.

Edit: Essentially Robin or Lucina would quickly warp in to block the attack, while the attack is blocked Chrom will slash with the Falchion quickly followed by a counterattack from either Robin or Lucina. They will disappear afterwards. (So it is a combination of Counter and Reflect)

(With Shield of Seals)

B>: Awakening. Chrom will attempt to perform a chain attack similar to Marth's Dancing Blade. Instead this can only be activated three times in succession as opposed to four, and each successful activation will cause Chrom to attack twice in very rapid succession. Each successful hit will add one gem to the Shield of Seals. Upon the third successful activation (Chrom will have possession of four gems at this point since he has successfully performed the attack twice) Chrom will perform only one strike (Thus acquiring the final gem, possessing Argent, Azure, Vert, Sable, and Gules) quickly followed by a burst of blue flame that engulfs Chrom and hits targets on both sides of him.

After being baptized in Naga's flame, Chrom's Falchion is tempered and becomes the Exalted Falchion. The hilt will shine a brilliant blue while the blade itself emanates an orange glow. All attacks involving the Falchion will deal slightly more damage and knockback. Chrom will maintain the Exalted Falchion until he is KO-d, thus he will need to successfully perform the Awakening again.

Final Smash: Chrom's Shepherds. Chrom will summon his Shepherds to attack the enemies on screen. Each Shepherd will be able to perform a unique action. (Pretty similar to Crophyournameistoodamnlongandhardtospell's)

Lissa and Maribelle will both heal Chrom for a certain amount.
Avatar, Mirel, and Ricken will cast Elthunder, Elfire, and Elwind respectively.
Fredrick will gallop in on horseback and strike the enemy, occasionally yelling, 'My body is ready!' as his battle cry.
Sumia swoops in across the screen on a Pegasus dealing damage to all targets she hits.
Vaike will begin eviscerating anyone who is near him with his axe.
And Kellam will try to get noticed but ultimately fails.

With this I would like to have two play styles that Chrom players can enjoy, one of which is with the shield while the other is without. If Chrom successfully performs the Awakening I do not want the Shield to be useless so to remedy this I will make it so that in general Chrom's standard attacks, aerials, and combo strings are slightly more reliant/ favorable when wielding the Shield regardless if the Awakening was successfully performed.

However, the drawback to this is that he will not be able to strike with the new Exalted Falchion as often, nor will he be able to use Dual Guard+. He will still be able to perform the Awakening again, though he will not receive any further buffs. So now players must pick between a stronger, more defensive playstyle by choosing to rely solely on the Exalted Falchion or an aggressive, more combo reliant playstyle by wielding both the Shield of Seals and the Exalted Falchion. I'm hoping to achieve a balance here and may or may not buff/nerf aspects here and there until both methods are close to being balanced. (One idea right now is giving Shield Mode a meteor smash upon successful activation of Awakening)

I might add on to this later but for now I'm off.

Please provide criticisms and opinions, I would love to hear what everyone has to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom