• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yet for some unfathomable reason, Lyn was the only one among them to get a DLC redesign. Perhaps she is a main character from Intelligent Systems' point of view. :laugh:
A lot of the redesigning didnt make a lot of sense to me. How come alm and Celice got redesigns yet Sigurd did not and he is the character from one of the highest acclaimed fire emblems? Why did Paula catria and est get redesigns when they are pretty meaningless in general other than the fact that they are sisters? I just don't put a lot of stock into it.

Also personally I don't support lyn, partly for the reason that she isn't the main lord of the game. Wouldn't it be the shocker to end all shockers if Eliwood made it with Roy's moveset. I would literally love that more than anything just because of the rage :troll:

•Col•

Smash Champion
A lot of the redesigning didnt make a lot of sense to me. How come alm and Celice got redesigns yet Sigurd did not and he is the character from one of the highest acclaimed fire emblems? Why did Paula catria and est get redesigns when they are pretty meaningless in general other than the fact that they are sisters? I just don't put a lot of stock into it.

Also personally I don't support lyn, partly for the reason that she isn't the main lord of the game. Wouldn't it be the shocker to end all shockers if Eliwood made it with Roy's moveset. I would literally love that more than anything just because of the rage :troll:
I wouldn't hate that at all since Eliwood is pretty cool in his own right.

Really underated imo. :3c

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

I think Eliwood is pretty cool. But I have yet to see anyone add him to their wanted newcomer list.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eliwood is really underrated as a lord. I hope he gets in atleast as a Roy alt. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't really care for the idea of alternate costumes being completely different characters, but I wouldn't mind if he had an alternate where he was dressed like Eliwood.
Eh, that's what I meant, actually. I should have made it clearer. My bad.

•Col•

Smash Champion
What's the difference between having Eliwood as an alt. model or just having an alt. Eliwood outfit for Roy? :troll:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Seeing as so many people are accepting Chrom now, I've decided to jump ship to another FE contender.
SUMIA FOR SMASH

nessokman

Smash Lord
chrom is very likely, they typically have one new character and marth. Roy's game hadn't been released when melee came out apparently. Chrom is the best FE choice

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Hmmm it'd be interesting to see what they do. I honestly feel Lyn has a higher chance than Chrom, but I could be wrong. Sakurai does enjoy placing characters in the game relevant to the time period. Then he enjoys placing characters in the game from past periods.....who knows he is impossible to predict. >.<

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Excuse if somebody has already brought this up, but I didn't find it with a simple search.

Pair Up is a pretty big deal in FE:A, and what 2 characters are closely related and are pretty much the main characters?

Chrom and Lucina.

If they came in together as a single moving duo (move like 1 character, no Popo + Nana stuff), the potential for them would be quite high, since animations could make them extremely interesting (picture Lucina doing some quick sword work on the first 2 hits of a tripple A combo only to have the third hit be Chrom doing a hard hit that has higher knockback).

They share a spot in the artwork for a reason right?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I like lyn, but her chances from my perspective are terrible, definitely not higher than chrom. Shes one of the three lords in FE7 and is not even the main protagonist (Eliwood).

Tom Nook, who received more support than the villager, didn't get into smash (at least before the villager). I see this as evidence that sakurai won't likely take a side character before the main character. She may have been an assist trophy first, but I do not think the qualifications or competition is quite the same.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Chrom is considered to be one of the most likely reps, but even with these move suggestions, He has the same sword as Marth, looks like a heavier version of Marth, and is a descendant of Marth. If he was a semi-clone it'd be hard to make him unique and if he wasn't a semi-clone it'd be hard to make him unique. Roy had his own look and a sword of flames. Also his own style. The only good move I can think of for Chrom is a bow. But, I don't even know if he uses a bow in the game as I haven't bought it.....yet. I'm not sure how he'd work. Maybe if they gave him his own elemented sword power like Shadow or something. But, that doesn't make sense. :lol:

Here's a good idea for a Marth Semi-clone. Plus he'd have a light/electric elemented sword

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've already went on a rant, but i'll repeat it in a nutshell.

If the character from Fire Emblem is a side character from any installment of Fire Emblem, they WILL NOT get into Super Smash Bros. At least not before the main protagonist of their game. So this would mean Robin, Lucina and Tharja are unlikely unless Chrom gets in first. Lyn is unlikely as it is.

For Awakening, Chrom will be the first rep. There is no debating this. he is the main character and poster boy of the game. While Lucina is advertised with Chrom, she is far too similar to Marth and is not the main lord of the game, which can be said for Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom.

EDIT:@Noah, saying Chrom will instantly be a clone is getting ahead of yourself. He can play differently from the other two lords. There isn't much to change in a sword wielding moveset unless some other ability can be implemented, hence why Link is different from the Fire Emblem lords etc...

Also, proposing that they bypass Chrom in fear of him being a clone by taking a different Lord that isn't recent to make HIM a clone is asinine. It would make little sense to do that.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I've already went on a rant, but i'll repeat it in a nutshell.

If the character from Fire Emblem is a side character from any installment of Fire Emblem, they WILL NOT get into Super Smash Bros. At least not before the main protagonist of their game. So this would mean Robin, Lucina and Tharja are unlikely unless Chrom gets in first. Lyn is unlikely as it is.

For Awakening, Chrom will be the first rep. There is no debating this. he is the main character and poster boy of the game. While Lucina is advertised with Chrom, she is far too similar to Marth and is not the main lord of the game, which can be said for Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom.

EDIT:@Noah, saying Chrom will instantly be a clone is getting ahead of yourself. He can play differently from the other two lords. There isn't much to change in a sword wielding moveset unless some other ability can be implemented, hence why Link is different from the Fire Emblem lords etc...

Also, proposing that they bypass Chrom in fear of him being a clone by taking a different Lord that isn't recent to make HIM a clone is asinine. It would make little sense to do that.
1. I never proposed he be replaced for fear of being a clone. I said I fear he may be a clone or that they will have trouble coming up with unique or good moves.
2. I never instantly claimed he would be a clone. I said I fear he may be a clone.
3. The suggestion of Leif was off-subject and was not a suggestion as appose to Chrom. It was a suggestion for a character in general.

Please do not instantly jump to conclusions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You said in your post that Chrom would probably be a clone. Then showed Eliwood as a semi-clone option. It isn't that hard to believe that that is what you were proposing. But whatever, not a big deal, my point stands.

Chrom will likely be the new Fire Emblem rep, assuming we get one, which I am counting on quite honestly.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I question how people are so quick to proclaim Chrom wouldn't be similar to Marth or Ike, despite the character bluntly trying to copy both of their characteristics.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Excuse if somebody has already brought this up, but I didn't find it with a simple search.

Pair Up is a pretty big deal in FE:A, and what 2 characters are closely related and are pretty much the main characters?

Chrom and Lucina.

If they came in together as a single moving duo (move like 1 character, no Popo + Nana stuff), the potential for them would be quite high, since animations could make them extremely interesting (picture Lucina doing some quick sword work on the first 2 hits of a tripple A combo only to have the third hit be Chrom doing a hard hit that has higher knockback).

They share a spot in the artwork for a reason right?
One major thing I have against this is the fact that pairing Lucina and Chrom up ingame in fire emblem awakening makes absolutely no sense since one of the main factors in the game is marriage and most people pair up married couples for the massive stat bonuses, not doing so is rediculous. By the time you get Lucina in awakening Chrom will already be married and well he's not going to get married to his daughter. If they were going to implement the pair up system it would likely be Chrom and female robin, but that is highly unlikely.

@noah leaf isn't going to be in this game.

I question how people are so quick to proclaim Chrom wouldn't be similar to Marth or Ike, despite the character bluntly trying to copy both of their characteristics.
Just because they are similar doesnt mean that the smash team can't think of a good unique moveset for him. Just implement some of the abilities and such from his game, maybe a javelin of sorts would be cool too, and he can be completely unique. Also I don't agree that the character is trying to copy their characteristics, but you don't care because you really hate Chrom. Even though you hate him, can you at least admit he is the most likely FE newcomer? I hate the idea of having Dixie kong, but I still think she is more likely than king k (unless of course he ends up miraculously being featured in tropical freeze)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You said in your post that Chrom would probably be a clone. Then showed Eliwood as a semi-clone option. It isn't that hard to believe that that is what you were proposing. But whatever, not a big deal, my point stands.

Chrom will likely be the new Fire Emblem rep, assuming we get one, which I am counting on quite honestly.
1. That was Leif, not Eliwood. Eliwood is Roy's father from Sword of Flames on GBA & Leif is from Genealogy of The Holy War and Thracia 776 on Super Famicom.

2. To propose is to suggest, to predict is to assume. I said "Chrom will probably be a clone" not "Chrom should be a clone" So I wasn't proposing.

3. Again, Leif was an off-subject suggestion for a character that leaves Chrom unaffected.

I'm just clearing up the misunderstandings.

Also this is Eliwood:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
People criticize the thinking that Chrom MUST be a clone because of the similarities. Chrom has plenty of traits of his own and can easily be unique. To say that he can't be different is just dumb.

Though, its still possible that he becomes a clone. Heck you can say that about a lot of characters since Ganondorf and captain falcon became clones.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People criticize the thinking that Chrom MUST be a clone because of the similarities. Chrom has plenty of traits of his own and can easily be unique. To say that he can't be different is just dumb.

Though, its still possible that he becomes a clone. Heck you can say that about a lot of characters since Ganondorf and captain falcon became clones.
Does Chrom having moves from the game that are unique? I haven't played it yet.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
1. That was Leif, not Eliwood. Eliwood is Roy's father from Sword of Flames on GBA & Leif is from Genealogy of The Holy War and Thracia 776 on Super Famicom.

2. To propose is to suggest, to predict is to assume. I said "Chrom will probably be a clone" not "Chrom should be a clone" So I wasn't proposing.

3. Again, Leif was an off-subject suggestion for a character that leaves Chrom unaffected.

I'm just clearing up the misunderstandings.

Also this is Eliwood:

Propose, predict and suggest all have roughly the same definition, assume and predict have nothing to do with each other. I think he understood what you meant anyway though.

I don't see why you think Chrom is probably going to be a clone. It's probable that not only was he included, but that he was a high-priority character, similar to Ike's priority in brawl. High priority characters aren't clones.

Also even if Chrom is an Ike clone or whatever I don't see why people should care that much, seeing that they seem to want Roy back so much and I guarantee he will still at least be a Marth semi-clone.

Also Noah I'm kind of sorry about how I insulted you before you were banned. I got overly angry for some reason. I and most people are likely willing to give you a second chance if you are more mellow. But doing things like enlarging text and changing its color instigates people, so if you keep a common color and size to your text I'm sure people will get along with you a bit better than before. Just a friendly tip.

Well he can use a lance and can go on Horseback ( I think)
He can go on horse back if you reclassing him, but lets be honest who in their right mind reclassed Chrom. Also he has plenty of skills that can be used in his moveset as well as some unique features from the game such as pair up and defending or something like that. I'm not sure how that would be implemented, but it definetly can be put into consideration.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Nope.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html

Other than that, his attack animations in the game are very. . . RPG inspired, that is not easily translatable and somewhat bland.

If you want someone who is unique that I just wrote an essay on, check out Anna. I also encourage you to check out the rest of the thread, it had way more posts than the Chrom thread before E3 (but mostly about controversy and me arguing with people :p)

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Of course all of his animations are different from marth, ike, roy. Some of the more noticeable moves are aether that behaves completely differently (two strikes, long distance dash attack.. thing). The unnamed spin attack used in the "Two Falchions" cutscene. And his ability to use lances upon promotion.

Note that characters like Ike pull moves from things much more minor than what I just told you. Ike uses his critical for an over b (chrom's would be a leap forward with sword brought down, think ZSS's down b). He also uses a counter which is simply a play on FE game system. And his normal B came completely out of nowhere.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Nope.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html

Other than that, his attack animations in the game are very. . . RPG inspired, that is not easily translatable and somewhat bland.

If you want someone who is unique that I just wrote an essay on, check out Anna. I also encourage you to check out the rest of the thread, it had way more posts than the Chrom thread before E3 (but mostly about controversy and me arguing with people :p)
This is not allowed in this thread.:smash:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Maybe it is just me, but seeing Arena Ferox as a stage almost solidifies Chrom from my point of view. But again, that's just me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
But, are they that different? I feel if there is another FE rep they should have more moves besides just their sword swinging in a different direction.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
But, are they that different? I feel if there is another FE rep they should have more moves besides just their sword swinging in a different direction.
It really doesn't matter. Sakurai can make a unique moveset if he wants to or he can also make a clone if he wants to. How similar or different Chrom is in no way seals his fate as a clone or unique fighter.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Marth never parries in his game, neither does Ike. Marth never jumps up with his sword. Marth never charges up with blue energy, Ike never charges up with fire (actually he charges up with green energy with Ragnell, why this wasn't included in his moveset is beyond me), Marth also never combos like his forward B.

In other words, liberties can be made.

Maybe it is just me, but seeing Arena Ferox as a stage almost solidifies Chrom from my point of view. But again, that's just me.
I mean I had him in my list of "top 8 most likely characters" before (little Mac, king k, Ridley, Chrom, palutena, mewtwo, shulk, takamaru). But now I consider him to be an absolute shoo-in, along with only mewtwo, and little Mac and palutena to a lesser extent. All four others I'm starting to have major doubts for.

What I don't understand is why people think that awakening having a stage, especially one that specifically represents him, doesn't help his cause.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Well..........
If that's supposed to hint that what I said was not true, you'd be flat out wrong. Sakurai isn't incompetent. Hes an experienced and creative developer. If a bunch of random fans on these boards can make a unique moveset for chrom, so can sakurai.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If that's supposed to hint that what I said was not true, you'd be flat out wrong. Sakurai isn't incompetent. Hes an experienced and creative developer. If a bunch of random fans on these boards can make a unique moveset for chrom, so can sakurai.
I'm just saying being really similar to another character usually leads to them being a clone to said character. But, I don't think Sakurai does that with everyone. Like he probably wouldn't do it for like Dixie, Ninten, or Chrom. I just don't think the what the fans come up with as a moveset for Chrom is very unique or original. Most are actually kinda bad. But, Sakurai could do much better, so I'm very sure he will think of something for Chrom.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I'm just saying being really similar to another character usually leads to them being a clone to said character. But, I don't think Sakurai does that with everyone. Like he probably wouldn't do it for like Dixie, Ninten, or Chrom. I just don't think the what the fans come up with as a moveset for Chrom is very unique or original. Most are actually kinda bad. But, Sakurai could do much better, so I'm very sure he will think of something for Chrom.
When it comes to discerning who is going to be clones or not it really comes down to how prioritized a character is, though other factors do play some of a role. In Chroms case, he is the face of the latest game in the fire emblem series which saved the franchise from certain doom and was highly acclaimed, it's likely that he will be a high priority character, in which case he will likely have a unique moveset based on his skills and skills featured in fire emblem that are not present in the current movesets. In Dixie's case however, I believe that if she were included she would not be a high priority character, so instead would be a semi-clone of diddy with some of her feminine aspects included such as her hair twirl. If Ninten were to be included, I think he would be more unique than Lucas compared to ness. This is because they share similarities aesthetically, so to better differentiate the 2 characters, a unique moveset would be neccessary. I don't see Ninten as likely however.

But basically if Chrom is high priority I agree that sakurai will be able to make a unique moveset for him. As I said before, he took liberties with Marth and Ike, so he will certainly take liberties with Chrom too.

To be completely honest I don't see how he really compares to both Marth and Ike that much. I think he works as a medium weight sword fighter, while Ike is the heavy hitter and Marth is the light weight. He seems like he would be the Mario of sword fighters you could say(ish).

JPW

Smash Ace
I just realised this when Chrom is promoted to Great Lord he gets the ability to use Lances. What if they could incorporate this into his moveset with the sword, it would be quite interesting. And A Lance might even be fun, and it'll be a totally new weapon. They could even give it a Kilik feel.

Also I've recently got Ike from Renown in FE13, and what i've noticed is his Aether is still old school The Jump in the air and the land. So it looks like there are 2 types of aether now.
If Chrom and Ike were to make it along with Marth

We could see Ike keep his old Aether, and Chrom could still keep his where he does the strike through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom