• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Fire Emblem's icon is a sword to reference the fact that most of the protagonists are swordsmen.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Roy's design in Melee was pretty uninteresting... I didn't really like Marth's either. Roy was really generic and Marth was oddly girlish.

Roy's current design though is fine. The shoulder shield is interesting, and the black white and blue is classy.
Now that I have seen this picture......................

BRING BACK ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW! NOW! NOW! NOW! DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
For Brawl, Sakurai actually went to Intelligent Systems to ask them who should be put in Brawl. They recommended Ike. Now picture if he does the same thing for SSB4, and consider this: From Intelligent System's perspective, what would they be thinking? They will undoubtedly gravitate toward Awakening... why? Because Awakening is one of their most accomplished and praised games of all time. It is approaching 1 M units sold, has received positive critical reception, is open to a wider gaming audience then before (for many of my friends, and many people on SmashBoards, Awakening is the first FE game they ever played), and most importantly, it saved FE from the brink of extinction (Nintendo sent Intelligent Systems a mandate to discontinue the FE series if Awakening failed to sell a certain amount of units). Furthermore, when reading the Iwata Asks feature of FE Awakening, you can clearly tell that the team sees Awakening as a very accomplished game, and as a result, they seems extremely proud of their efforts. Given all this, to me it seems that they will undoubtedly recommend Sakurai to choose a character from Awakening, either Chrom or Lucina, to help promote Awakening and all it has to offer even more. Now, whether Sakurai decides to listen to Intelligent Systems or the Fans (who according to the polls want Roy more), I can't say. Ike and Marth are more deserving than Chrom/Roy, and as much as I want 4 FE character slots, I doubt that it will happen. I'm happy with whatever character (Roy or Chrom) Sakurai decides to put in, because I love them both. :)

Thoughts?

Awakening could have been FE's last game: http://gengame.net/2013/05/fire-emblem-awakening-could-have-been-the-series-final-game/
Iwata Asks: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/0

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
For Brawl, Sakurai actually went to Intelligent Systems to ask them who should be put in Brawl. They recommended Ike. Now picture if he does the same thing for SSB4, and consider this: From Intelligent System's perspective, what would they be thinking? They will undoubtedly gravitate toward Awakening... why? Because Awakening is one of their most accomplished and praised games of all time. It is approaching 1 M units sold, has received positive critical reception, is open to a wider gaming audience then before (for many of my friends, and many people on SmashBoards, Awakening is the first FE game they ever played), and most importantly, it saved FE from the brink of extinction (Nintendo sent Intelligent Systems a mandate to discontinue the FE series if Awakening failed to sell a certain amount of units). Furthermore, when reading the Iwata Asks feature of FE Awakening, you can clearly tell that the team sees Awakening as a very accomplished game, and as a result, they seems extremely proud of their efforts. Given all this, to me it seems that they will undoubtedly recommend Sakurai to choose a character from Awakening, either Chrom or Lucina, to help promote Awakening and all it has to offer even more. Now, whether Sakurai decides to listen to Intelligent Systems or the Fans (who according to the polls want Roy more), I can't say. Ike and Marth are more deserving than Chrom/Roy, and as much as I want 4 FE character slots, I doubt that it will happen. I'm happy with whatever character (Roy or Chrom) Sakurai decides to put in, because I love them both. :)

Thoughts?

Awakening could have been FE's last game: http://gengame.net/2013/05/fire-emblem-awakening-could-have-been-the-series-final-game/
Iwata Asks: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/fire-emblem/0/0
Definetly all true, well put. I would say at least Chrom deserves that spot just about as much as Ike. I know people don't like the idea of awakening just because of recentness and stuff, but recentness aside, awakening is still one of the greatest fire emblems. And while many people are of the belief that recentness should hurt a characters chances (which makes just about zero sense), I am of the belief that it helps quite a bit.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah from what I've heard Fire Emblem Awakening was certainly quite the accomplishment, I'm fairly certain we will be pretty likely of getting Chrom (and maybe Lucina) in smash 4. Intelligent Systems seemed to be pretty proud of the game. (Which they should be since it certainly was a really good game imo)

By the way, I seem to have noticed a number of people here haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening yet, so I was just wondering. How many here have actually played Fire Emblem Awakening? :/

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yeah from what I've heard Fire Emblem Awakening was certainly quite the accomplishment, I'm fairly certain we will be pretty likely of getting Chrom (and maybe Lucina) in smash 4. Intelligent Systems seemed to be pretty proud of the game. (Which they should be since it certainly was areally good game imo)

By the way, I seem to have noticed a number of people here haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening yet, so I was just wondering. How many here have actually played Fire Emblem Awakening?
Not only did I buy a hard copy of awakening when they were super hard to find, but I also sold my 360 so I could buy a 3ds just for awakening. Yes I've played awakening yes it was spectacular, no Chrom isn't bland, and yes I REALLY like fire emblem :)

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Chrom is awesome, and to those who say he is bland, my question is how? He has a nice personality, says awesome phrases, and is a complete boss. I find myself saying his battle phrases whenever I'm engaged in a game or sports. Another thing to point out is.... if people don't see Chrom as being worthy of SSB, then how can they choose Roy over Chrom? Roy's game was not even released in the West, so how can Western FE Smashboards Fans know what his personality is like? Sure, emulators exist but I'm willing to bet that the majority of FE fans have not played FE 6. So, why do FE fans think that Roy, whose personality is unknown to many, deserves to be in SSB more than Chrom? Now, understand that I have nothing against Roy, but in SSB, does the persoanlity of the character even matter much? Hell, look at Game and Watch.

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
Chrom is awesome, and to those who say he is bland, my question is how? He has a nice personality, says awesome phrases, and is a complete boss. I find myself saying his battle phrases whenever I'm engaged in a game or sports. Another thing to point out is.... if people don't see Chrom as being worthy of SSB, then how can they choose Roy over Chrom? Roy's game was not even released in the West, so how can Western FE Smashboards Fans know what his personality is like? Sure, emulators exist but I'm willing to bet that the majority of FE fans have not played FE 6. So, why do FE fans think that Roy, whose personality is unknown to many, deserves to be in SSB more than Chrom? Now, understand that I have nothing against Roy, but in SSB, does the persoanlity of the character even matter much? Hell, look at Game and Watch.
I think many of them DON'T think he's bland..... as a character. As a playable fighter on the other hand...

And for Roy, many want him because he has the whole fire sword thing going on, and the fact that they might like him from Melee.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing is though that we haven't seen Chrom as a playable character yet. How can you tell he will be bland if we haven't seen him in action yet in smash? :/ (assuming he'd be playable though)

And how does Roy having a "Fire Sword" make him any less bland? (Since I personally didn't really find him any more interesting than Marth with that "Fire Sword" in Melee. But I guess that's just me... :/)

I'm not hating on Roy, mind. I'm just wondering. :/

Honestly, we should just wait and see how these characters play out in smash 4 before we judge them right off the bat. (Assuming they would become playable of course)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
And how does Roy having a "Fire Sword" make him any less bland?
From what I remember about playing Melee, his fire sword was the foremost thing that caught my eye. Oh, and that insta-KO. :shades:

That fire sword makes him "stand out".

As for Chrom, from what I hear, apparently there is nothing he can do which Marth and Ike cannot. :ohwell:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
From what I remember about playing Melee, his fire sword was the foremost thing that caught my eye. Oh, and that insta-KO. :shades:

That fire sword makes him "stand out".

As for Chrom, from what I hear, apparently there is nothing he can do which Marth and Ike cannot. :ohwell:

Hmm... I guess it's all just a matter of opinion then. Can Roy even perform a Fire Sword attack with his main sword in Fire Emblem 6? Because if he can't and it was just a special gimmick for Roy in Melee then Chrom could also always use a sword attack with a special gimmick to it as well. Perhaps an Ice Sword based properties? Where he can freeze his opponents as he fights? :/

I still preferred Marth in Melee though. Roy was pretty useful in Cruel Melee and Home Run Contest though.

As for Chrom in Awakening, I think he does have a few moves that can differentiate him from Marth and Ike.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I have to admit. That new design of Roy is the only thing that tempts me to want him back. Pretty cool.
I won't lie; this. It's awesome.

Not only is FE6 one of the most disliked games from the FE community (asides from Shadow Dragon) but the only ones that usually even get pirated at 5/6. People then either play the GBA or the Console ones and now Awakening to a very heavy extent. (I've seen some people clock 200-500 hours. No joke. People don't clock nearly that much or even close to 50 hours on any 3DS game unless they're doing 100% Tales of The Abyss or Mario Kart 7)

Chrom for sure stands out more than people think. Sure, he's got his disadvantages from other lords, but he's in a game where pretty much all the cast can be customized and can play differently. Same with Lucina or My Avatar (My Avatar with Chrom would be awesome; they're practically a duo and in their duo attacks they're awesome)

Someone needs to play Awakening.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... I guess it's all just a matter of opinion then. Can Roy even perform a Fire Sword attack with his main sword in Fire Emblem 6? Because if he can't and it was just a special gimmick for Roy in Melee then Chrom could also always use a sword attack with a special gimmick to it as well. Perhaps an Ice Sword based properties? Where he can freeze his opponents as he fights? :/
Yes, he uses a fire sword in FE6. Infact, the animation of the One Hit KO move is based on his critical hit animation from FE6.

Someone needs to play Awakening.
Yeah, I need to. Shame that I don't have a 3DS yet, nor am I planning to get one soon. :ohwell:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah, I need to. Shame that I don't have a 3DS yet, nor am I planning to get one soon. :ohwell:
Get it as soon as you can. You won't regret it, XL or no XL. There's so many games. From Kid Icarus, to a few seldom RPG's, to Awakening, to all high quality Mario games. I got my 3DS and I thought it wouldn't live up to the DS and the PSP... I've been proven very wrong with 17 games and counting. I've already got my Dream Team and Project X Zone pre-orders down!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, he uses a fire sword in FE6. Infact, the animation of the One Hit KO move is based on his critical hit animation from FE6.
Ah well, if all else fails, Sakurai could always give Chrom some Ice based properties to differentiate him from the other lords. But I'm pretty sure Sakurai can do a good job in making him unique anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The thing is though that we haven't seen Chrom as a playable character yet. How can you tell he will be bland if we haven't seen him in action yet in smash? :/ (assuming he'd be playable though)
Because he tries way too hard to leech off the success of Marth and Ike, which does not scream out "original" in the slightest. If you're expecting a completely unique character out of a character that's clearly trying to emulate Ike and Marth, then I'd advise you to simply not think that way in order to avoid disappointment. It's common sense, really.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Because he tries way too hard to leech off the success of Marth and Ike, which does not scream out "original" in the slightest. If you're expecting a completely unique character out of a character that's clearly trying to emulate Ike and Marth, then I'd advise you to simply not think that way in order to avoid disappointment. It's common sense, really.
Except... he does actually add stuff. His character plotwise tries to leach off of basically what Ike/Marth were but he's not the worst.

Granted there's more original FE lord but those aren't happening.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Like what?
In his game (Be minded, I didn't explore his moveset 100% unlike many other characters) he has regular moves, magic, moves with others, changing class, and uses the Falchion in a different fighting style than Marth and Ike (Not that much different but...)

I felt he was pretty original. Not as much as Lucina or My Avatar (or My Avatar combined with Chrom), but it wasn't extremely bad as much as some of you exaggerate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not only is FE6 one of the most disliked games from the FE community (asides from Shadow Dragon) but the only ones that usually even get pirated at 5/6
I don't know where people keep getting this from. If anything its the most popular Japan-only FE game after FE4, and its usually the most pirated one in general alongside FE4 (due to its strong similarities to the other two GBA titles). I really hate how a lot of the false stuff about Roy and FE6 from the pre-Brawl days still survives to this day.

Did anyone else see the review aggregates I posted for nearly the entire FE series (with the exception of the Famicom titles) from a very popular Japanese review site?. FE6 and FE7 had the highest review aggregates of the entire series (though FE5 had a higher one, though it had less than five reviews).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Probably 4chan and people over there at the Fire Emblem General threads at /vg/. Over there, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is not liked that much.
That's weird. But then again that's 4chan for you. Its pretty much exclusive to them though.

Over at GameFAQs the review aggregate for FE6 is among the highest in the series as well.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't know where people keep getting this from.
I got it from various FE fans, but it might just be where I hang around. It always depends on where you hang around; I hear some of my friends at various places clamoring over Awakening as the best game and others saying it wasn't all that great. The only ones that I see that always get the praise are Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.

If anything its the most popular Japan-only FE game after FE4, and its usually the most pirated one in general alongside FE4 (due to its strong similarities to the other two GBA titles).
5. You missed that one brah.

Though it probably did have a fan-translation and that went over my head.

I really hate how a lot of the false stuff about Roy and FE6 from the pre-Brawl days still survives to this day.
It's not nearly as spot-off as everyone would think. Granted there's some stuff that is bull, but other stuff is pretty fine for people to say depending on where you hang around, especially since it's such a subjective series in a few ways. It's kinda like the Final Fantasy titles to an extent. A lot of rumors have died off as well from Anti-Roy stuff. Honestly, I see the support far stronger than ever for not only a remake but the rest even if his game isn't the most loved thing ever. (Oh heaven's forbid that)

Did anyone else see the review aggregates I posted for nearly the entire FE series (with the exception of the Famicom titles) from a very popular Japanese review site?. FE6 and FE7 had the highest review aggregates of the entire series (though FE5 had a higher one, though it had less than five reviews).
Oh that I already know.

That's weird. But then again that's 4chan for you. Its pretty much exclusive to them though.
While I'm not sure about Fire Emblem I wouldn't say that so soon. I've seen quite a few of the opinions spread outside to Reddit, Neogaf, various other smaller communities, and so on.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A lot less people pirate FE5 due to the extremely high difficulty and how the game was a sidestory basically. FE4 and FE6 are the most pirated FE games, but even then I would say less than 10% of the Western FE fanbase has even pirated a Japan-only FE game.

In general, I would look to what the Japanese fanbase thinks of the Japan-only games since a much larger proportion of their FE fanbase has actually played those games, as opposed to a super hardcore minority like it is in the West.

It's not nearly as spot-off as everyone would think. Granted there's some stuff that is bull
Nah. A LOT of it is bull.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
A lot less people pirate FE5 due to the extremely high difficulty and how the game was a sidestory basically. FE4 and FE6 are the most pirated FE games, but even then I would say less than 10% of the Western FE fanbase has even pirated a Japan-only FE game.
I would more-or-less say difficulty, but yeah, Fire Emblem didn't really peak off until 7.

In general, I would look to what the Japanese fanbase thinks of the Japan-only games since a much larger proportion of their FE fanbase has actually played those games, as opposed to a super hardcore minority like it is in the West.
I'll try that soon, but I'm a busy person.

Nah. A LOT of it is bull.
Do go on. You can feel free to list all the bull you've seen, because really, a lot of the pre-brawl stuff has died down, and some of the stuff is legitimate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would more-or-less say difficulty, but yeah, Fire Emblem didn't really peak off until 7.

I'll try that soon, but I'm a busy person
FE5 and FE6 are the hardest games in the series. Especially FE5, so I don't know where you get the series peaked at FE7 in difficulty. If anything FE7 was the beginning of where the series took a sharp turn in becoming much more easier (this became much more profound in FE8 and FE9).

As for Japanese reviews and opinion, I already have aggregates from two different sites on the entire series. They pretty much match up, though FE3 and FE4 are held higher on Amazon Japan than on the previous gaming exclusive website. Otherwise the opinions are pretty much the same in regards to the games.

The only two games in the series the Japanese FE fanbase does not seem keen on are FE8 and FE11.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
FE5 and FE6 are the hardest games in the series. Especially FE5, so I don't know where you get the series peaked at FE7 in difficulty. If anything FE7 was the beginning of where the series took a sharp turn in becoming much more easier (this became much more profound in FE8 and FE9)
Oh no I'm saying the series started to gain popularity during FE7. Bad worded post.

And yes, FE5 is a *****. I've only watched the others and have only played 5, 10, 11, and Awakening, but FE5 is probably the hardest game I've ever played asides from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

As for Japanese reviews and opinion, I already have aggregates from two different sites on the entire series. They pretty much match up, though FE3 and FE4 are held higher on Amazon Japan than on the previous gaming exclusive website. Otherwise the opinions are pretty much the same in regards to the games.
Yeah, cool.

The only two games in the series the Japanese FE fanbase does not seem keen on are FE8 and FE11.
...I don't think anyone likes Shadow Dragon. 8 I hear complaints of being forgettable but I don't know much about it myself unlike the others.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't know where people keep getting this from.
As best as I can tell it's because the hardcore western online fanbase is a vocal minority, and they dislike FE6 for various reasons, which gives the impression that FE6 is generally disliked.
...I don't think anyone likes Shadow Dragon. 8 I hear complaints of being forgettable but I don't know much about it myself unlike the others.
Biggest complaint I hear about FE8 is that it's really easy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In his game (Be minded, I didn't explore his moveset 100% unlike many other characters) he has regular moves, magic, moves with others, changing class, and uses the Falchion in a different fighting style than Marth and Ike (Not that much different but...)

I felt he was pretty original. Not as much as Lucina or My Avatar (or My Avatar combined with Chrom), but it wasn't extremely bad as much as some of you exaggerate.
Magic? Don't know what version of Fire Emblem: Awakening you were playing, but Chrom is incapable of using any form of magic. The closest thing to using magic would be the Exalted Falchion, and even then it's purely cosmetic.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Magic? Don't know what version of Fire Emblem: Awakening you were playing, but Chrom is incapable of using any form of magic. The closest thing to using magic would be the Exalted Falchion, and even then it's purely cosmetic.
Or I might just be confusing him with another character. Still, even with all I mentioned it's not that bad for a moveset, and a lot of the B attacks from Marth and Ike are made up anyways from what I've noticed (The rest doesn't really matter much asides from playstyle etc)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, that and a Levin Sword. But still, Chrom to my knowledge cannot use magic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
4chan is terrible. Don't go there in general.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
4chan is terrible. Don't go there in general.
Jokes on you, I go there all the time. Maybe that's where my grumpiness comes from, but I will say that it's not as bad as people think.

I mainly lurk around the Fire Emblem General threads at /vg/. Currently people are really attached to Fire Emblem: Awakening and typical waifu affair, but there's also playthroughs of Fire Emblem: The Sword of Flame, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, and Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. I do snatch some humorous imagery from those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom