• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Smashers in Cambridge?!

L-J

Smash Ace
Yeah guys I'm up for tomoro - any time is good, I'm free all day. Gimme a text yeah? Just to let y'all know, I'll be teaming with level 9 Ganon and beastin y'all; get at me.

EDIT: Tomoro technically being today i should say.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Yeah guys I'm up for tomoro - any time is good, I'm free all day. Gimme a text yeah? Just to let y'all know, I'll be teaming with level 9 Ganon and beastin y'all; get at me.

EDIT: Tomoro technically being today i should say.
LJ- don't forget to let me know when you're back in Bristol

MaSe

Smash Apprentice
ok im back in town now. if anybody is up for some matches the next days let me know

MDU

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm a Cambridge smasher as well. I'm currently in 6th form at The Perse School and we have a gamecube + melee there. The standard there is pretty poor so I wonder if I could perhaps play any of the smashers sometime. It would brilliant for me to get some real practice in as I don't actually have melee :).

I like playing Falco the most but I'm still sort of undecided on my main. At school, we mostly play free for all on neutral stages but sometimes we play 1v1. In school, I've yet to lose a 1v1 so hopefully, I won't be too bad. Many thanks.

L-J

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm a Cambridge smasher as well. I'm currently in 6th form at The Perse School and we have a gamecube + melee there. The standard there is pretty poor so I wonder if I could perhaps play any of the smashers sometime. It would brilliant for me to get some real practice in as I don't actually have melee :).

I like playing Falco the most but I'm still sort of undecided on my main. At school, we mostly play free for all on neutral stages but sometimes we play 1v1. In school, I've yet to lose a 1v1 so hopefully, I won't be too bad. Many thanks.
This makes me very happy - I still remember vividly the countless (and I mean countless) hours me and my friends played Melee in 6th form breaks/lunch/free periods/lessons even LOL. Our natural progression from 4v4 all items on on Hyrule to near competitive ruleset 1v1 and 2v2 without any knowledge of other smashers or tournaments still astounds me to this day. You deffo have to come along to one of our seshs! We usually do around one a week if we can. We'll hit you up with the details of the first one on this thread if you keep checking here. We usually do them at mine which is in Queens' College, so you'll only have a 20 min cycle or w/e to get there, from your school at least.

Btw guys I'm gonna be back on the 18th just so y'all know.

MDU

Smash Cadet
What time on Monday? Cos I have school and I can't go out in the evening.

Also, how good is everyone (in relation to the best uk smashers)? And what characters do you all use? It would be great seeing everyone (Cambridge students no less), hopefully I can be there.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Ummm, guess you could head over as soon as school finishes? I'll pm you my number and address :S

As to how good we all are, we're pretty varied; Jack and MaSe are pretty scrubby (;P), I'm just one of the multitude of nameless players in the mid-tier, and L-J is arguably within the top 10 of active players. in the UK (or at least the top 15).

Oh, and me and MaSe main Marth, Jack mains Sheik, and L-J Fox.

MDU

Smash Cadet
Excellent. For next Monday, I can leave school right after lunch (around 1pm) so that would be convenient. I think I'll have to start practicing in school a lot haha. Those 4 player free for alls are gonna make the difference :)

@L-J: Thanks man. I haven't properly decided on a main just yet, as I pretty much use Marth, Sheik, Falco, Fox and Jigglypuff the same, although I find Falco the easiest and Fox the hardest. Since I only have emulator (keyboard) to practice on since my melee is at school, I haven't found who my best character is.

L-J

Smash Ace
Holy ****balls! Playing Melee on a keyboard sounds crazy hard! Honestly you probably won't learn a lot about which characters you like without playing with a normal controller + tv/cube setup. Some of the stuff especially for Fox and Falco requires muscle memory input sequences specific to a GC controller once you start to implement advanced techniques, so I'd just focus on trying the different characters in school and maybe start narrowing it down to the 2/3 you think you like best.

Out of interest what's your knowledge if so called advanced techniques? Like say if you watch all the way through this video, how many of these are you aware of/able to do (not necessarily consistently, but attempting to master at least)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

There are 3 parts in total btw. I only ask because it'll give me a rough idea of where you're at as a player.

Oh and also if you can persuade your friends at school, try and get them to start doing 2v2 teams with teams attack on, items off (if they aren't already) and some of the more wacky stages like hyrule off the random select. You'll learn a lot more playing this way than 4v4, plus it's way more fun because of the teamwork and the fact that it promotes attacking rather than just avoiding dying and waiting for a 1v1 at the end (many memories of that from my early smash days in 6th form lmao).

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeah I was definitely the samus just charging the laser and downsmashing anything that tried to punish me in my glory days

aah memories :)

I can't even do SSB on a keyboard never mind melee :o

Also rich I wanna try double fox next time we team, been practicing tonnes and got awesome games with george the other day so it should hopefully be up to speed soon. Just think in general that fox fox is a lot better than jiggs fox unless the jiggs is crazy lol

L-J

Smash Ace
Aw but I like playing with Jiggs :(

Double Fox team is the best in principle but it's crazy hard unless both players are crazy good. We can give it a go though sure. I did get the feeling doing double fox with George last tourney that we'd both need to be really on point to be getting to top 3 as we should be aiming for. Can see how it goes I guess.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I'm not back until the 15th. Definitely up for some games over that weekend/later in the week when my mocks are done.

And Hugo sucks. Just don't run at him stupidly and he's dead because he can't approach at all.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeh would at least like to give it a go, probs not gonna be an actual doubles tournament at a monthly so will be mostly friendlies. My fox is so much better in teams than in singles though so I've got high hopes :)

In reality, I don't think my jiggs is that good in teams which is why I wanna try something fresh, and so I'll give a mix of fox and falco a go as they're my next best chars atm.

And hugo does suck indeed, I had to suicide last monthly so that he wouldn't /wrists or something
I at least didn't have to suicide against jack :p step it up Mr. rustediron

MDU

Smash Cadet
Holy ****balls! Playing Melee on a keyboard sounds crazy hard! Honestly you probably won't learn a lot about which characters you like without playing with a normal controller + tv/cube setup. Some of the stuff especially for Fox and Falco requires muscle memory input sequences specific to a GC controller once you start to implement advanced techniques, so I'd just focus on trying the different characters in school and maybe start narrowing it down to the 2/3 you think you like best.

Out of interest what's your knowledge if so called advanced techniques? Like say if you watch all the way through this video, how many of these are you aware of/able to do (not necessarily consistently, but attempting to master at least)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

There are 3 parts in total btw. I only ask because it'll give me a rough idea of where you're at as a player.

Oh and also if you can persuade your friends at school, try and get them to start doing 2v2 teams with teams attack on, items off (if they aren't already) and some of the more wacky stages like hyrule off the random select. You'll learn a lot more playing this way than 4v4, plus it's way more fun because of the teamwork and the fact that it promotes attacking rather than just avoiding dying and waiting for a 1v1 at the end (many memories of that from my early smash days in 6th form lmao).
Believe it or not, on a keyboard, I can wavedash/waveshine, shffl, do needle cancels with sheik do shine combos with falco and short hop double lasers with fox. In fact, lots of stuff on keyboard I find much easier than on controller (shdl). The hard things to do on keyboard sound dumb but they are true. Maintaining horizontal momentum is really hard, doing smash attacks is really hard. Walking and tilts cannot be done from a stand still position. But technical stuff is easy. I can waveshine better on keyboard than controller.

L-J

Smash Ace
And Hugo sucks. Just don't run at him stupidly and he's dead because he can't approach at all.
Lol

Yeh would at least like to give it a go, probs not gonna be an actual doubles tournament at a monthly so will be mostly friendlies. My fox is so much better in teams than in singles though so I've got high hopes :)

In reality, I don't think my jiggs is that good in teams which is why I wanna try something fresh, and so I'll give a mix of fox and falco a go as they're my next best chars atm.
I'm very happy to give it a go - I also don't mind going Falco in teams so we can do some Falco Fox/Fox Falco as well as double fox to mix it up. Have to say though with practice you can have a very good puff in teams - Hbox went from being pretty bad at teams compared to singles to **** in teams, so no reason why you can't do the same :) Fox Jiggs is in my mind the best team in practice, while double fox is the best in theory.

Believe it or not, on a keyboard, I can wavedash/waveshine, shffl, do needle cancels with sheik do shine combos with falco and short hop double lasers with fox. In fact, lots of stuff on keyboard I find much easier than on controller (shdl). The hard things to do on keyboard sound dumb but they are true. Maintaining horizontal momentum is really hard, doing smash attacks is really hard. Walking and tilts cannot be done from a stand still position. But technical stuff is easy. I can waveshine better on keyboard than controller.
:O I'm impressed with your keyboard prowess lol. Also definitely glad you already know/can do advanced tech stuff cus teaching that is always a pain. Just get your friends doing proper 2v2 and 1v1 in school and you'll start to get a feel of how competitive matches flow.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Screw switching to controllers lol, definitely mod your keyboard to work with a GC jack (most controller jacks tend to simply be modded USB, shouldn't be too hard) ;D

Yup, definitely don't approach, just spam SHL at me instead, will work you wonders ;)

EDIT: Alex - that's such a ****ty move to spam lmao

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
needles can still be avoided pretty easily though. ~~ theoretically camping vs them is useless but in practice it's annoying and can cause people with poor patience to screw up lol

MaSe

Smash Apprentice
Hugo, I could make it from 5 onwards on Monday. Is that cool?

rustediron

Smash Lord
Do you want to try coming for 3/3.30 then? Then we'll see if MaSe makes it before 5, and even if he doesn't then I can still have some games with MaSe without playing smash for 5+ hours lol

Oh, and if you find the gate unlocked and I'm not answering my phone (seems to have bad signal these days :(), just come up to the first floor corridor and ring my bell on Flat 22.

sinai420

Smash Cadet
hi, i'm also from cambridge university, and would like to get afew melee games in at some point, i'm not sure how regularly i would be able to turn up, but i'd like to give it a try!

Top Bottom