• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any ideas on how to deal with G@W?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Ugh that Game @ Watch is annoying as ever. He spams that back air and he keeps jumping around so my bananas are usless most of the time. Diddys aerials do no good since G@W's aerials outrange his and outprioitzie Diddys. I have also trouble getting back on the stage and I dont know what to do against a G@W that edgeguards me by spaming the down smash.

Dekar173

Justice Man
GnW has a pretty long trip, as well as some really slow siderolls, abuse this by techchasing. SHIELD the turtle. That thing is disgustingly powerful. Also, his upsmash while fresh WILL kill you at 83% so at ALL costs avoid that thing (if he uses his dthrow on you, TECH it and roll AWAY from him, he can't catch you if you tech it and roll, if you tech and don't do anything else, that is punishable by usmash).

Also remember his upB has invincibility frames (so play against him kind of like you would against MK, don't go above him).

Good luck!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Just jump too and throw the bananas in the air to him.
Throwing bananas up also help to keep him away a bit.

GaW has really good priority, but bananas > all. They have more priority than anything. Try to hit him and use them well to win the match, and watch out for GaWs smashes, they can kill you really early.

I think you should keep a little distance to him unless you see an opening or you hit him with a banana.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Just jump too and throw the bananas in the air to him.
Throwing bananas up also help to keep him away a bit.

GaW has really good priority, but bananas > all. They have more priority than anything. Try to hit him and use them well to win the match, and watch out for GaWs smashes, they can kill you really early.

I think you should keep a little distance to him unless you see an opening or you hit him with a banana.
This guys pinned it .. BANANAS just use them ALOT

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
I'm going to have to disagree with Dekar. Don't shield his turtle. An experienced G&W will position himself so that the turtle will land the hits on you, but you won't be able to grab through them during the attack. (If they are low enough, you can) This means that your shield will take a beating over and over. Eventually the turtle will eat right throuh and hit you, I've even seen the shield break a couple times. Just keep popping out them naners. I've found that glide toss backwards + throw down is effective, since the trajectory G&W uses w/ turtle places him almost on top of the banana.

As for the edge guard, just keep practicing and get a feel for when g&w is vulnerable after the down smash. When the hammers come down, he won't be able to re-spam for a while, and thats your chance to drop->jump->f-air. If all else fails, you can jump away from the edge and side b back on, and throw your foot out. Diddy's foot has amazing priority, and will either cancel the gg hammers, or go right through them. (I'm not sure which, whether it cancels or out-prioritizes, there's always the added chance that the hammers aren't out and you hit him normally)

ADHD

Smash Hero
diddy pwns gnw, I agree with atomsk on this one that diddy is a counter for him. Just totally spam him with peanuts charged/uncharged and try to be accurate and you can space away from everything he has with a single glide toss backwards. Beastleh. I haven't lost to a gnw ever since I've learned the matchup, never....

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think it's 60:40 in GnW's favor at best, but the minimum, I think, is 50:50.

GnW has a huge glide toss range and he can take possession of the bananas fairly easily. If you throw a banana, a well timed bair or nair will catch it and most of the time the GaW player won't even do it on purpose, it's just that GaW players use their aerials very often and they have little lag. You have to be very patient with bair or dair spamming GnW. Sometimes you can single dribble backwards a few times while he's bairing and then glide toss forward, but sometimes the bair will reach over the banana. Up glide tossing messes with his dairs and you can up glide toss and then come up beside him in the air and fair or bair him.

DUB

Smash Lord
I play defensive against G&W's. The turtle+key arent too hard to punish at all. You can roll under a G&W who's approaching with turtles but you need to be careful doing so and not spam it. He's a tough one to gimp too. Stay away, don't walk into smashes.....be very defensive.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Hmm do you guys think that single dribbling back and forth would be an effective getaway move if Game and Watch tries to use the down A key move? The smoke pipe is really annoying and somehow I seem to get hit by his Upsmash or Dsmash when im about to land. Any ideas on how to escape the smoke pipe?

I tried the monkey kick and for some reason all of G@Ws aerails just outprioritize Diddy's monkey flip move.

SSBKNIGHT

Smash Cadet
Well since his moves like the down smash is laggy I do a short hop attack to set him up for a combo which knocks him off the stage. He tries recover but G@W's recover leaves him immobilized in air. So that leaves in a opening attack. Sry if I sound coufusing.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Punish his attacks from most of his aeriel. Turtle loves shield. for this matchup, you just have to watch out because most of his aeriel will out prioritize(sp) Diddys aeriel game. dodge the Dair, and punish as much as you can. I think nowadays, most GaW will use key to stop the momentum or use the bucket Brake to cancel momentum again. For his Nair, Have a banana out since it can pop out of your hand and interrupt the Nair and you can Fair/Bair him after that....Thats all i can think of atm...sleepy lol
Learn the matchup if you can..... i dont help T_T

ADHD

Smash Hero
There's no secret to it, chompy just play more gnw's lol, the matchup gets really easy and enjoyable after a while.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Who the **** is Game at Watch??
Diddy does like 55-45 Diddy against G&W, but I don't know who this G@W character is. Maybe I havent unlocked him yet??

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Who the **** is Game at Watch??
Diddy does like 55-45 Diddy against G&W, but I don't know who this G@W character is. Maybe I havent unlocked him yet??
XD lolz

serious guy here XD

but anywho G&W is kinda difficult but his fair is kinda slow...
So catching nanners might be difficult for him.

thats all I got i think thats correct...

IDK

Smash Lord
don't shield the turtle lol... it'll always hit you through the openings. just like with peach, i still use bananas when people are floating around in the air the whole time. just use them differently. i guess kinda like falco's lasers? except more lagless, and lets you move. they still stun them, and you can get in free hits/combos afterward.

pastaboy

Smash Champion
diddy pwns gnw, I agree with atomsk on this one that diddy is a counter for him. Just totally spam him with peanuts charged/uncharged and try to be accurate and you can space away from everything he has with a single glide toss backwards. Beastleh. I haven't lost to a gnw ever since I've learned the matchup, never....
i remember like a month ago, you were complaining how hard g&w is, lol.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
Once you learn the matchup, G&W loses his edge. To address what someone else said before, yes, he has a decent glide toss, but it's not that easy for him to get the bananas. A good diddy won't let him get them easily, and his dash attack sucks + is easily punished. Id say its 60-40 in Diddy's favor.

Also, usually Diddy is an offensive characters, like search and destroy-esque. But with G&W Diddy can be defensive due to superior projectile pressure, and G+W's limited approaches. (Pretty much he has to get in the air) And if the G&W stays back, diddy can just pull out his bananas, space them, and **** him a new one.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Once you learn the matchup, G&W loses his edge. To address what someone else said before, yes, he has a decent glide toss, but it's not that easy for him to get the bananas. A good diddy won't let him get them easily, and his dash attack sucks + is easily punished. Id say its 60-40 in Diddy's favor.

Also, usually Diddy is an offensive characters, like search and destroy-esque. But with G&W Diddy can be defensive due to superior projectile pressure, and G+W's limited approaches. (Pretty much he has to get in the air) And if the G&W stays back, diddy can just pull out his bananas, space them, and **** him a new one.
Him not getting bananas is not true. It's fairly easy to get the bananas when you're game and watch when you spam your bair. Kinda like when you verse Marths, they get your bananas quite often because of his fair.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Him not getting bananas is not true. It's fairly easy to get the bananas when you're game and watch when you spam your bair. Kinda like when you verse Marths, they get your bananas quite often because of his fair.
So..., he'll want to get it out of his hands so he can spam some more bair XD

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This isn't true at all. Gw doesn't grab nanas out of his bair lol. It has a lingering hitbox. All diddy has to do to beat bair is dribble backwards then throw the nana forward. Boom, no more bair. Gw's dash attack is very slow. If anything the GW should be spamming nair to keep away from nana's not bair lol. This match-up is 60-40 in diddys favor.

Edit: Also glidetossing is useless if there is a nana in between you and your opponent as GW lmao. GW isn't magically going to magnet towards diddy every time he glidetoss's.

Count

Smash Champion
I have this matchup at even really now, it's a fun matchup where you have to think a lot. I've never really faced a great gnw before so I can't really evaluate anything :(.

Top Bottom