• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Entire Thread in Defense of Corrin

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It really frustrates me seeing all the hate towards Corrin, and Bayonetta to a lesser extent. People really don't fully appreciate all the effort it takes to develop characters for games like Smash. What I have to say is this: if you don't like Corrin or Bayonetta, don't buy them. They're optional DLC, meaning you don't have to buy them if you don't want them. I personally will be buying both, because both Corrin and Bayonetta look incredibly cool moveset wise. Can't wait for their release,
Because it's not like competitive players might need to lab these characters, right? Or that TOs need people to bring setups with every character available, right?

casuls pls go.

1. He's a billboard for an upcoming game, similar to Our Boy. Why is Roy our boy but Corrin is indefensible?
Jun Fukuyama.

Last edited:

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

"Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter."

Basing my logic off of this paragraph, Inklings or Elma from Xenoblade X should have had significantly more priority than Corrin. Before I move on, let me get something out of the way:

I am so friggin' hype for Corrin. Ecstatic. I love Fire Emblem and I welcome another FE rep, but that moves me to my next point.

I wasn't even excited at the reveal because I was so baffled that there was another FE character. We don't need any more FE characters, we need more reps from other series.

Considering the "Spot for Corrin" was designated to "a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release", the Inklings make the most sense. Fire Emblem has plenty of representation, Splatoon is a new IP, and Splatoon has way more momentum than FE does. Splatoon came out less than 1 month before FE did in Japan. Even Elma fits better than Corrin. Xenoblade is under-represented and deserves some more recognition. Elma's inclusion would have easily boosted sales of XCX.

Regardless, Inklings (or any other character that fits Corrin's criteria) should have been where Corrin is no matter what angle you look at it. And this is coming from a huge FE fan.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
people defending corrin with the "unique moveset" argument don't realise that at this stage of development, that's not a selling point - that should be a requirement.

as it stands now, one of the few (if any tbh) defensible arguments for corrin is being an advertisement for an upcoming game, and even that's not a good one.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
people defending corrin with the "unique moveset" argument don't realise that at this stage of development, that's not a selling point - that should be a requirement.
Considering the other viable options, though, it's a legitimate argument. The most likely character to get in not considering Corrin probably would be Wolf, since the other characters cut from Brawl have their own problems and Melee only has Pichu left. Compared to him, Corrin has a much more unique moveset. Sure, when looking at completely new characters it's less effective of an argument, but when considering that a large part of the fanbase would have preferred Wolf, it works.
(And no, I'm not picking Wolf just because of your sig. Many, many people would hav preferred Wolf to Corrin)
(Also, there's still the dragon with a chainsaw argument)

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Sakurai wrote in Famitsu that Corrin was chosen because they wanted to add a recent character from a recent game, more than simply adding a FE:Fates character.

Sakurai was even afraid of FE over representation, but thought that he could be a fun character.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/#more-4626

Knowing that, I think that I'm kinda glad that they went with Corrin. I may have been a supporter of Inklings, and they are unique! But except the ink mechanic, that could have become hard to add, their moveset could have been quite simple, although attacking with a bucket for exemple does have it's originality.

Corrin may have a sword, but his way of transforming makes him unique and that's cool. We don't have that much transforming characters (Pac-Man, Koopalings Koopaclown car, G&W and Kirby's down B to an extent. I may forget some characters. And Kirby's hat is another thing).

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
From a business standpoint I don't think Inklings are really "better" than Corrin because Splatoon is already a massive success and boosting its sales will probably be really minimal. Fates on the other hand is really iffy. FE is popular in Japan but is niche in other countries, they probably wanted to secure its popularity by adding in Corrin.

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
I hate how people are never satisfied when it comes to smash characters. Sure, six FE characters kinda bug me but Corrin is still a unique character. A character's series shouldn't be something that should be overly thought about in a character reveal. There's six Mario characters and they're all fun and unique to play as. I wouldn't mind if there was eight Game and Watch characters if they were all fun and different. I wish people didn't get so salty over this stuff.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Theres as many fire emblem characters as it is pokemon (huge franchise, everyone played it) characters which is just weird.

Its just weird that people are defending these mangasword characters. I would be fine with only Ike and Marth but.. 6 of them?

I mean seriously? I think that Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede is cool, but its like adding Waddleedee, Escargon and Waddledoo to the roster. Also give a sword to Kirby, Waddles and Escargon to balance it out.

Hard work some says, yes, but its sad that they put the work on fire emblem characters instead of adding other characters from other universes like a Kong, a Ness character, a F-Zero character, anything but fire emblem..

It cant get any worse if the Fireemblem fanboy (is it Sakurai? Damn) gets replaced. Id rather have half roster filled with Pokemon than swordwielding characters.

Its a Nintendogame, it looks like freaking Soul calibur now. "Oh Mario is a guest!"

But atleast im happy we get Bayonetta. Atleast shes not a manga characterclone of Marth wielding a sword.

Its not like i can do anything. The characters are now in the roster and i cant change it. All i can do is to hope that the responsible dude no mather how big he is gets replaced or atleast ACKNOWLEDGE THE OTHER UNIVERSES in the next smash bros. Its not like im going to play Corrin any ways. Im happy with Bayonetta.

But i have to say: smash bros is the best game still and im going to throw money on them until the sword characters outnumbers the other.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
mangasword characters.
Atleast shes not a manga characterclone of Marth wielding a sword.
So the lance and transforming dragon aspects are going to get ignored?
Here's a list of moves that are different from Marth's:
Dtilt, Utilt, DA, Fsmash, Uthrow, Nspecial, Sspecial, Uspecial, Bair, Jab, Dair, Usmash, Dsmash, Nair
That leaves Fair, Ftilt, Uair, and Dspecial (I have no idea what his Fthrow/Bthrow/Dthrow look like).
Wow. He shares a whole 4 moves with Marth.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Please note that this post is from someone who never played Fire Emblem.

Theres as many fire emblem characters as it is pokemon (huge franchise, everyone played it) characters which is just weird.

Its just weird that people are defending these mangasword characters. I would be fine with only Ike and Marth but.. 6 of them?

I mean seriously? I think that Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede is cool, but its like adding Waddleedee, Escargon and Waddledoo to the roster. Also give a sword to Kirby, Waddles and Escargon to balance it out.
Fire Emblem have 6 characters, like pokemon, yes. But does Fire Emblem have an "emblemball" summoning lots of Fire Emblem units? Does Fire Emblem have as much content as Zelda or Mario, including Assist trophies, items and stages?

I agree that the playable characters are something important, but that's not the only content.

mangasword characters
Oh no, a japanese company makes japanese characters!

Hard work some says, yes, but its sad that they put the work on fire emblem characters instead of adding other characters from other universes like a Kong, a Ness character, a F-Zero character, anything but fire emblem..
I agree that Donkey Kong needs content, starting with items and assist trophies. Mother is fine, there's content, two characters... The problem is diversity. Bringing another PSI character, considering that they already took Ness' special moves for Lucas for no apparent reasons, is risky (Lucas is a very different case compared to Lucina of Dark Pit). There's potential for Masked Man and Porky, though (but still hard for Porky, as the design must be really "Smash Bros", like Captain Falcon"). And as I mention Falcon, there's definitely the moveset problem for... Every F-Zero racers. And I love F-Zero. I'm not really of fan of just making a moveset from scratch just for adding a character.

It cant get any worse if the Fireemblem fanboy (is it Sakurai? Damn) gets replaced. Id rather have half roster filled with Pokemon than swordwielding characters.
Sakurai actually acknowledge the fact that there's a lot of FE characters, but thought that he could make a fun characters, out of the "recent Nintendo characters" (as the idea behind Corrin was "adding a recent Nintendo character")

Its a Nintendogame, it looks like freaking Soul calibur now. "Oh Mario is a guest!"
Oh no, there's 12 characters with swords in a 58 characters roster, the game is doomed!
... Seriously? We may have Toon Link, Roy and Lucina, but the sword users plays differently. The Master Sword is way different from Monado, and it's different from Yato too.

I'll leave this here: http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/055/090/ff0.jpg

But atleast im happy we get Bayonetta. Atleast shes not a manga characterclone of Marth wielding a sword.
Because now, Marth have spear-hands and wings.

Its not like i can do anything. The characters are now in the roster and i cant change it. All i can do is to hope that the responsible dude no mather how big he is gets replaced or atleast ACKNOWLEDGE THE OTHER UNIVERSES in the next smash bros. Its not like im going to play Corrin any ways. Im happy with Bayonetta.
As said previously, the content is not only the character selection screen. It's not much, but I'm happy to see Saki Amamiya among the assist trophies, and eager to play with the Ashley costume for exemple.

But i have to say: smash bros is the best game still and im going to throw money on them until the sword characters outnumbers the other.
There's time before we get 46 more swordmens. Not counting all the potential non sword characters we can get in the future.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
My complaints for corrin are geared more toward him being included over another Fire Emblem character like Eirika or Eliwood. That being said, he was probably a better choice than the other FE characters since he can also transform into a dragon, giving him more unique options for a potential moveset.

Really, I feel the argument about fire emblem not deserving more character slots is rather flawed. Fire emblem games usually pack a completely different roster of characters in each new installment unlike other Nintendo franchises such as Mario or Zelda, which generally reuse the same main characters in each new installment. This in turn gives it a much wider amount of characters that can be added to the game. Fire Emblem games are also very high quality in general, to the point where one of the weaker entries (Awakening) is still considered by many to be the best 3ds game currently. Its not like the series doesn't deserve having six characters.

The complaints about corrin being another anime swordsman are flat out stupid and not worth addressing.

iDaire

Smash Cadet
NNID
iDaire
Saying he "ignored" these characters is literally wrong. Sakurai and his team have ALL of these potential candidates at their fingertips, and you can be damn sure they were considering as many of them as possible for inclusion into Smash. But of course, problems arise, whether it be technical difficulties (such as the problem of Ice Climbers on 3DS) to copyright and "red-tape" issues (most likely characters such as Snake or Banjoo) to difficulties in implementing/balancing certain characters (such as Ridley). But that still probably leaves plenty of candidates for Smash who could potentially have overcome all of those obstacles.
Alright. Now I have to jump straight into this again. Claiming he didn't ignore these characters with no proof that he didn't ignore them. I'm not going to bring this up as I have no proof he did ignore them, but go on.

So why Corrin then? Why did Corrin "replace" one of these other potential fighters? Probably for the simple fact that all the necessary conditions just happened to fall perfectly into place. Just being in the "right place at the right time" as they say. Nintendo supposedly pushed for Corrin, most likely due to how well Fates is doing in Japan (cause they have to consider EVERY region) and possibly even to help keep the excitement for Fates worldwide release thriving. Sakurai and his team had already been considering someone from Fates anyway, and they saw Corrin as having great potential for a highly unique fighter, and they've put serious work into doing just that. All the other semantics of the process happened to just fall right into place. So Sakurai didn't "ignore" everyone else, and he didn't "selfishly" choose Corrin because of some stupid made up bias towards Fire Emblem or swordsmen or whatever. Corrin was simply chosen because Sakurai, his team, and Nintendo simply had the most faith in this character to add something truly unique to Smash 4, and that all of the little but crucial details just worked out.
No no no. You don't just see how well one game is doing and go "Hey. If this game is doing so well here, it might do so well everywhere." That's what I mean by Sakurai forcing Corrin on us. I get that you need to ramp up hype for Fire Emblem Fates or whatever, but you don't force Corrin on an entirely different audience than what you were aiming for. An entirely different audience where the majority of the audience most likely don't know Corrin and are hoping for someone new or someone authentic with more experience in the Smash games. And if Sakurai wanted to add something truly unique into Sm4sh, he could have done so outside of Fire Emblem characters or outside of the Swordfighter archetype.

You don't have to agree with their decision, and you don't have to like Corrin, but you do have to live with it. And if you can't see your own selfish hatred and bias towards Corrin, then it's just going to keep eating away at you and leave you bitter towards something that is supposed to be for our enjoyment and entertainment.
I gotta ask though.....if you are so adamant about how Corrin shouldn't be in Smash 4, why are you going to main them?
Previously, I stated that I was a Fire Emblem fan, and I am still a Fire Emblem fan. I will buy Corrin and main them and become the best in New York. I declare it. When I made these arguments, I was looking at Corrin through the lense of someone who doesn't know what Fire Emblem is or someone who was just an average person playing Sm4sh. Sure, I'm a Fire Emblem fan, so I know exactly who Corrin is. Prince of Nohr, raised in Hoshidio. All that stuff. But, that still doesn't give any reasoning to add Corrin into Sm4sh. And even though I'm a fan of the series, I'm still against the decision, because there are already enough Fire Emblem characters in this game as it is and even more so, there are enough swordsman in the cast of characters. Going further, Roy and Cloud are two more swordsman that were added into the game, so was it really right to add a THIRD swordsman? Third time's the charm.

What you're telling me to do is to let my bias for Fire Emblem Fates influence how I view Corrin as a character coming into Smash 4. As a Fire Emblem Fates fan, yeah, Fates is looking good so far and Corrin being in Sm4sh gives me a preview as to how he's going to be in Fates, but as a Smash Veteran who's played tournaments and was hoping for someone like Wolf or Ice Climbers to make a return into the Smash series, partially because we already know their playstyle and would be used to it already, no. You're forcing Corrin onto the Smash Community. Plus, Corrin was announced in the Final video announcement. What that video supposedly implied is that there are no more DLC characters coming into Sm4sh. Corrin (and Bayonetta to a far lesser degree), two characters that could have been returning characters, are now our final characters that we are stuck with.

Were you expecting me to defend that position? What the hell?

Rakath

Smash Ace
If we look at Corrin as 'A character from Nintendo's 2015 release year' it isn't like Nintendo has a lot of non-complicated option to run counter to him. Ignoring all the titles using characters already in Smash (Yoshi Wooly World, three pokemon games, two Zelda games, Mario Maker, etc etc) we end up with, what?

Devil's Third, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fates, S.T.E.A.M.?

Devil's Third didn't exactly win any high praise or love.
S.T.E.A.M. is probably in the same boat with Third.
Splatoon was the big win but I still have doubts how easily a proper Inkling could be implemented without heavy game structure edits for it.

Which leaves us with Xenoblade Chronicles X, probably Elma or Lin being more possible than the MC due to him being a nameless faceless construct who has no dialog and no personality other than what you put into him. I'm not really feeling it. The girls are required for most early game campaigns and could work, their weapon selections are fairly unique compared to all the characters in Smash.

And then there's Kamui. Who clearly has a functional moveset cause he was made. This slot can't go to a DK rep, that was last year. It can't go to a Star Fox rep, that hasn't happened yet. Trio of Links? Paint and Ball Kirby? PIKA LIBRE!? I am sure nobody would complain about Pika Libre. You know, again. How about 8-bit Mario?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Lol even the games creator is pissed at these fire emblem characters.

Guess its not him whos the one messing it by choosing unknown mangacharacters over Toad and King K Rool, thanks god for that, i still have faith in Sakurai.

Please come back Sakurai..

Last edited:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes when people argue that Fire Emblem has too much representation, I wonder if people are also noting:

-Though there are 6 character slots, 3 of these characters have essentially the same moveset (Marth, Roy, Lucina. Roy's unique moves are jab, u-tilt, f-tilt, f-smash and neutral b, everything else is borrowed from Marth, except d-air which is from Ike)
-Over the course of the series, it has had 3 stages, only one of which was an actual specific location from any game in the series, and is only on the 3DS version (Arena Ferox).
-Has one assist trophy.
-Has zero items, unless you count Robin's tomes and levin sword, which only act as throwing objects when picked up.
-Zero Smash Run enemies.

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed that Kamui couldn't have come sooner. Fire Emblem: if has the best music in the series, and some of the most standout settings in the series.

Though I wouldn't have minded some Xenoblade X representation, you'd inevitably getting people crying over some of the same things they are now, except you'd also have more people divided over Black Tar (stuck on a whole different planet). Also seeing how "careful" the Smash series has been about Xenoblade spoilers, they'd probably just say "screw it" and show endgame reveals if they put in some XenoX reps.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
-Though there are 6 character slots, 3 of these characters have essentially the same moveset (Marth, Roy, Lucina. Roy's unique moves are jab, u-tilt, f-tilt, f-smash and neutral b, everything else is borrowed from Marth, except d-air which is from Ike)
Also, Lucina is a bonus, and Roy was back by popular demand, instead of Dr Mario who came back because he was a costume, like Lucina.

Without this two, this :4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4corrin: is perfectly fine as a roster for Fire Emblem (well, maybe not for the hair color :troll:). Slots are slots, and :4lucina::4feroy: definitely are there, but we are not in Pokemon's situation where everyone have a unique moveset.

Sometimes, I think that the CSS is the only thing that matters for some people.

Athrel

Smash Cadet
We should probably just close this thread. Peeps are gonna continue to **** on and blame Corrin for their (most likely boring as hell) character of choice not getting in no matter what's said here. Might as well not give them a place to do so.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Please, just let people be angry. All this thread is doing is riling up people who are already upset and then telling them not to vent, which is antagonistic and unhealthy.

Athrel

Smash Cadet
Please, just let people be angry. All this thread is doing is riling up people who are already upset and then telling them not to vent, which is antagonistic and unhealthy.
I'm pretty sure going to someone's character boards and whining about their inclusion (Two of the earliest threads are this) is way more Antagonistic. If people are angry, they can take it out somewhere else instead of cluttering these boards with their nonsense.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
You're right, but that doesn't address my point; this thread exists for absolutely no other reason than to piss people off and simultaneously tell them to shut up. No good could possibly come from this, and it's really just inviting more attacks tbh. Also, to be fair, doing it anywhere else will get your thread locked.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
You're right, but that doesn't address my point; this thread exists for absolutely no other reason than to piss people off and simultaneously tell them to shut up. No good could possibly come from this, and it's really just inviting more attacks tbh. Also, to be fair, doing it anywhere else will get your thread locked.
Problem: people are pretty much always going to be pissy about Corrin's inclusion. If we don't have this thread, I'm pretty sure they'll just take it to the social thread or such, which would just result in high emotions, hurt feeling, infractions, and generally nothing good. This way, we can keep it contained to a topic.
(Also, now we have the "you're off topic" excuse since we already have a thread for this...)

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Wellknown? Go to a person. Ask him "do you know Fox, Falco, and Wolf" and youll have a higher change getting a "ye" than if you asked someone who "Robin, Ike and Corrin is". Also, Fox only had two characters here, while Fire Emblem got 6. Then people SHOULD know who Corrin is right? I said to my friends "they are adding Cloud, Corrin and Bayonette" and everyone had 0 clue who Corrin is. And Corrin only. What a useless addition.

I bet many people would have been happier having Wolf back than having Corrin on this game. And Wolf is an old character with similar moves as Fox and Falco.

Again, even Sakurai is saying WTH IS GOING ON. 6 characters on Fire Emblem.

6 on Pokemon.
3 on Kirby.
2 on Donkey Kong.
2 on Fox universe.
2 on Samus.
1 on F-Zero.

Man..

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Wellknown? Go to a person. Ask him "do you know Fox, Falco, and Wolf" and youll have a higher change getting a "ye" than if you asked someone who "Robin, Ike and Corrin is". Also, Fox only had two characters here, while Fire Emblem got 6. Then people SHOULD know who Corrin is right? I said to my friends "they are adding Cloud, Corrin and Bayonette" and everyone had 0 clue who Corrin is. And Corrin only. What a useless addition.

I bet many people would have been happier having Wolf back than having Corrin on this game. And Wolf is an old character with similar moves as Fox and Falco.

6 on Pokemon.
3 on Kirby.
2 on Donkey Kong.
2 on Fox universe.
2 on Samus.
1 on F-Zero.

Man..
Of course they have no idea who Corrin is because Fire Emblem Fates hasn't released outside of japan. Thats why they added him; to familiarize outside audiences about the game and potentially increase sales of it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So now, Sakurai is going "oh god oh god oh god what am I doing"?

Sakurai expressed his concern about having too much FE characters, but also said that what matters is getting a fun character.

Rakath

Smash Ace

6 on Pokemon.
3 on Kirby.
2 on Donkey Kong.
2 on Fox universe.
2 on Samus.
1 on F-Zero.

Man..
Pokemon has a rounded roster of characters. Unless you're looking for Pika Libre out of Pokken Tournament there's not a lot of need to add from this.

Kirby has a lack of iconic to the series characters that aren't already present (Gooey is about the closest and we haven't seen him since... Dreamland 3?) And given that in Brawl there was hyper complaints that Sakurai was playing favorites adding two new Kirby characters this is fabulous contradictory backtracking. Bandana Dee was four years ago so he's hardly on point for a big splashy DLC announcement.

Donkey Kong, we only recently got a new Dixie Kong appearance, but DK franchise has not had the best love in recent years. We haven't seen K.Rool since, what, 64? And don't bring remakes into this. Dixie is the most relevant but she is a year late and a dollar short to really make the cut here.

Metroid has no characters. Hasn't had a game in five years. And if you ask for an Other M character you clearly don't like Nintendo, happiness, or the franchise at all. And Ridley is off the table. Ridley will never be on the table. Unless you want another Samus to represent Metroid this isn't happening (and oh yeah, Dark Samus is in the game as an AT already). I am sure the global audience would cheer for Bone Claw Samus in Smash Bros.

ELEVEN YEARS That is how long it has been since an F-Zero release. If you want to talk about DLC characters that are less on point, relevant, known, or in any way helpful to their brand. Let's talk about F-Zero! People might not know Corrin now, but somewhere within two weeks of Corrin in Smash, Fates is stateside and that'll be answered. In Japan, where Nintendo makes itself at home, this is already known, they recognize and accept Kamui in the game. Anyone of any relevance from F-Zero would require a degree in ancient history to know about. Captain Falcon is more attached to Smash than to F-Zero, because of how few F-Zero games there have ever been.

That leaves Star Fox, which bringing back Wolf would have been... fine, I guess. I'd find the last rep for Nintendo being a veteran who probably will need even less tooling than Lucas to make into an interesting character underwhelming compared to a new shiny character. Krystal is noticeably not a character for Zero, leaving Peppy and Slippy as the options for new blood. Certainly they will rock the competitive scene as Slippy becomes your perpetual 'danger to your match doubles partner. But as opposed to all the others it actually is somewhere near relevant to today. With a game coming in Q1 as opposed to being, last year, or last decade in your incessant referencing of F-Zero. If you wanted Wolf, ask Daddy Sakurai to kick Lucas to the curb, he was nine years ago.

Retro characters are main roster, DLC characters need a little more relevance to the current day than that. I think the supposition of which audience is intended for each of the last trio is apt: Kamui for Japan, Bayonetta for Europe, Cloud for North America.

SonDeathEater

Smash Rookie
No no no. You don't just see how well one game is doing and go "Hey. If this game is doing so well here, it might do so well everywhere." That's what I mean by Sakurai forcing Corrin on us. I get that you need to ramp up hype for Fire Emblem Fates or whatever, but you don't force Corrin on an entirely different audience than what you were aiming for. An entirely different audience where the majority of the audience most likely don't know Corrin and are hoping for someone new or someone authentic with more experience in the Smash games. And if Sakurai wanted to add something truly unique into Sm4sh, he could have done so outside of Fire Emblem characters or outside of the Swordfighter archetype.
Sakurai has always aimed toward putting Fire Emblem characters in Smash since melee and has done it with other characters so why is Corrin suddenly horrible? The number of reps? Not comparing to the last 3 games (Since Marth was supposed to be in Smash 64) , all Sakurai has done throughout Smash Wii U and all the DLC barring veterans and the ballot winner advertised *something* new.The new street fighters, FF7 Remake,Fire Emblem Fates....
There's a bit of hypocrisy with your own statement where you say you want someone "new" and hate Corrin because he is by definition new. The way you phrased your sentence sounds like a veteran or a newcomer which are the only choices we have.

3/8 Swordsmen DLC 10/58 Swordsmen total
Sakurai making a completely new character is complete speculation and evidence could suggest otherwise.
-Corrin wouldnt have been as dificult since his game came out in late June
-Sakurai has played it so he would know best on his moveset
-Corrin screams out unique atleast to Sakurai and to many of us
-"Moving on to Corrin, Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February."

but as a Smash Veteran who's played tournaments and was hoping for someone like Wolf or Ice Climbers to make a return into the Smash series, partially because we already know their playstyle and would be used to it already, no. You're forcing Corrin onto the Smash Community. Plus, Corrin was announced in the Final video announcement. What that video supposedly implied is that there are no more DLC characters coming into Sm4sh. Corrin (and Bayonetta to a far lesser degree), two characters that could have been returning characters, are now our final characters that we are stuck with.
The first complaint is a complete no brainer and you're suggesting we don't get any NEW characters at all which sounds crazy.The final video is yes, the assumed final DLC characters. There's so much wrong with what youre stating.

First thing's first,
Ice Climbers:http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/i-answer-some-questions-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-461-464/
"Q: xx isn’t in the game?
Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.
I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.

Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority. Furthermore, transferring them from Melee would be difficult because the original data is old."
Ice Climbers....?lolnope

I can assure you though, Sakurai would not have added Wolf in the Final Presentation considering he wanted unique characters and even mentioned that the veterans lost to Bayonetta.Blame the the majority of voters for not voting for Wolf.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

as it stands now, one of the few (if any tbh) defensible arguments for corrin is being an advertisement for an upcoming game, and even that's not a good one.
If any?

I already made the best argument on page one of this thread.

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
I guess the haters forget that this game is iconic to JAPAN and its especially iconic to Nintendo themselves since its a franchise that nearly DIED before Awakening. I don't know about you, but if I made a franchise that was a foot in the grave and came back stronger than ever, I would try my hardest to keep it alive, no matter what

:4corrin::4corrinf: May not be popluar in the US but that doesn't mean other countries don't like them. Everyone is unique from their head to their feet.

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
"Corrin's for Japan."

According to who? Everything I've seen suggests they're just as baffled by Corrin's inclusion as everyone else.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
You gotta admit, with all the first-party Nintendo characters people wanted for DLC, Corrin is the only new one we're getting.

Can you really blame people for being upset?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You gotta admit, with all the first-party Nintendo characters people wanted for DLC, Corrin is the only new one we're getting.

Can you really blame people for being upset?
This is valid point. About third party characters, while I agree with Sakurai when he says this:
Cloud recently became a playable character. And there were people that strongly criticized that, saying “Stop adding non-Nintendo characters!” This is completely ignoring the fact that I’ve added many, many Nintendo characters to Smash. It also ignores the many fans who were overjoyed at Cloud’s addition. http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/24/people-are-free-to-criticize-but-dont-lose-faith/#more-4652
It's still true that we have only one nintendo DLC newcomer. On the other hand, even if it would have been great to have more Nintendo characters and more DLC, I don't think that DLC must be considered as a special case. Sure, it's added after the release, but it's content for the same game nonetheless. In that regard, we still have more Nintendo newcomers than guest newcomers.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
This is valid point. About third party characters, while I agree with Sakurai when he says this:

It's still true that we have only one nintendo DLC newcomer. On the other hand, even if it would have been great to have more Nintendo characters and more DLC, I don't think that DLC must be considered as a special case. Sure, it's added after the release, but it's content for the same game nonetheless. In that regard, we still have more Nintendo newcomers than guest newcomers.
I mean, you gotta admit, the minute you saw the two families putting pressure on Corrin, somewhere in your mind, you probably thought "this is going to piss off a lot of people!" XD

In the end, I will probably buy Corrin and enjoy playing as him--further eating my words. XD so there's that

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Erotic&Heretic Erotic&Heretic Remember when people who wanted Cloud in Smash were mocked? Cloud was seen as almost as stupid a choice as Goku, and let's be real, FF7 fans are cancer. I've seriously considered quitting, as Cloud's inclusion means the series has basically jumped the shark.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I mean, you gotta admit, the minute you saw the two families putting pressure on Corrin, somewhere in your mind, you probably thought "this is going to piss off a lot of people!" XD

In the end, I will probably buy Corrin and enjoy playing as him--further eating my words. XD so there's that
Honestly, since Smash 4 first trailer, I always think that any character will piss off people. Thaaaaat's probably thanks to :4wiifit: (character that I personally enjoy a lot, and honestly liked since her reveal). Even some fan favorite will annoy people: in my case, it would be Isaac, but it's an entirely personal exemple.

Anyway, what I thought first was "... Wait, Fire Emblem?" then right after this "It means Corrin or Azura, therefore a female character" :laugh: When hearing "big brother", I understood that it would be Corrin, so during the trailer I was saying "come on, show the female alt!".

Erotic&Heretic Erotic&Heretic Remember when people who wanted Cloud in Smash were mocked? Cloud was seen as almost as stupid a choice as Goku, and let's be real, FF7 fans are cancer. I've seriously considered quitting, as Cloud's inclusion means the series has basically jumped the shark.
While I also thought that Cloud would be impossible, I always thought that Final Fantasy had it's place in Smash. because of the protagonist problem, I was thinking that adding Mii costumes of various NES playable classes was the best thing to do.

So obviously, when I saw the Final Fantasy 7 logo (I never played FF7, so I didn't understood the "star" intro), I was saying "... What? WHAT?", but I don't think that Cloud is "jumping the shark". Cloud isn't that much different from Snake, and both Metal Gear and Final Fantasy are big enough series to be able to claim a spot in Smash.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So obviously, when I saw the Final Fantasy 7 logo (I never played FF7, so I didn't understood the "star" intro), I was saying "... What? WHAT?", but I don't think that Cloud is "jumping the shark". Cloud isn't that much different from Snake, and both Metal Gear and Final Fantasy are big enough series to be able to claim a spot in Smash.
Snake was pretty stupid, but there was no real push from players to get Snake in Smash Bros., nor were the people (all two of them) who wanted Snake in Smash Bros. ever considered to be a bunch of raving mad scrubby noob nostalgia-blind 13yo fanboys. Cloud's inclusion feels like a slap in the face to every fan of Smash, competitive or casual.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I loved Snake (or should I say Snake's moveset) in Brawl, and I dislike Cloud as a character, but honestly, having a "requested by the fans" character is better than a "requested by his creator" character.

Also, I wonder how a well known requested videogame character from an iconic franchise can be a slap in the face to the fans. As I stated, Cloud sure seemed impossible (even Sakurai said that it was hard to get him), but FF can't be a slap in the face.

Anyway, I don't know how it is in the US, but Cloud and the FF fanbase is fine in Europe. FF7 sure is popular, but the other games are loved as well.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
People can whine and complain all they want for their characters not getting in or whatever, all that matters is that these characters are in Smash now and nothing more. If they don't like characters like Cloud or Corrin, then don't play as them.

And this whole "X character is a waste of a slot" or "too many Fire Emblem characters" arguments is the stupidest I've ever heard in my life. Just be thankful to their fans that actually asked for these characters.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
People can whine and complain all they want for their characters not getting in or whatever, all that matters is that these characters are in Smash now and nothing more. If they don't like characters like Cloud or Corrin, then don't play as them.

And this whole "X character is a waste of a slot" or "too many Fire Emblem characters" arguments is the stupidest I've ever heard in my life. Just be thankful to their fans that actually asked for these characters.
Except that if you need to lab characters, you'll have to pay extra money for them. I have no intention of playing as Cloud, but I want to find out if his frame data really is as BS as it looks. Oh, but you can't do that if you haven't given Nintendo/Sora more money, apparently a $250 console and a $60 game aren't enough. Not to mention that your TO might be mad at you for not having every character or legal stage. So basically, these "optional" characters are a required purchase for the competitive community, for an already expensive game that most of us already lose another $10 per month/week to when we head to the monthly/weekly.

This is why I felt like all DLC characters and stages should be banned from tournament play. It creates unnecessary pay walls, artificially inflates the performance of the DLC characters, and encourages Nintendo to just crap out any DLC they want because they're guaranteed to have a lot of purchasers.

But of course, that wouldn't happen because the majors took bribe money in return for allowing Nintendo to dictate their ruleset to them. Because the players and the community matter less than how much money can be made off of the players and the community. Remind me again why we're glad that Smash is becoming an esport?

Last edited:
Top Bottom