• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I doomed?

Veng

Smash Ace
Well heres the deal.

Ive played as Lucas always, and I tend to main 1 character, because that way I can focus every ounce of energy on him and training him.

Although noticing how low tier he is, it worrys me. No im not bandwagoning, but look at Gimpyfish, amazing player, but used bowser in melee and it cut him back. Hes still good though.

Should I continue using Lucas and try to get better?

Also if I did continue, what would you reccomend to train and get better? just playing other humans?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Low tier? He's definately middle and if it weren't for the infinite that Marth has against him, he'd probably be high middle tier. Anyways, I personally think you should stay with Lucas if you enjoy playing as him. I'd also recommend you having at least one more main but I don't think you should drop Lucas altogether.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
lucas can escape marths infinte grab( an infinite as an inescapeable chaingrab/combo etc.)

lucas isnt bad at all you defintly wont be doomed, and of course just play as who you want you should still be able to be competitve with lucas. I always try to convince people otherwise when they like a character and think they should switch just to be better

Zodiac

Smash Master
Dude, playing anyone but Snake and Meta knight means you play a low tier character. I really like my melee and brawl mains (though I dont really practice brawl that much) but I play characters soley based on interest. Personally I've always seen smash as a game where people go, I love that character from this game so I play them.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
use lucus, but also use some one else (not ness) that you can use against marth or just to spice things up.
also, by playing more characters you can fight your own main, in a non-mirror, and learn more about it.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
keep your character for the most part. Lucas is not useless and not unplayable and if you do switch to a higher tier character dont go all the way to snake or MK.
i used to play ike and now that i play pit i feel alot of comfortable. change is good but just dont change and expect to instantly win. believe me switching over means alot more work but no you arent doomed. Lucas is far from being maxed out. Ike on the other hand..

AlexX

Smash Ace
Low tier? He's definately middle and if it weren't for the infinite that Marth has against him, he'd probably be high middle tier.
Marth was a bad match-up for Lucas to begin with. Something that makes an already bad match-up worse shouldn't single-handedly drop a character's tier placement.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Ugh, I hate statements like this. Snake and Metaknight can be defeated just like Fox and Marth could in Melee. The other high tier characters are Olimar, ROB, King Dedede, Marth, and Falco.
Mina Baka

10 char

PCHU

Smash Lord
I beat everyone with Lucas.
If I can do it, you should be able to do it.
It's not so hard once you figure out approaches, attack strings, and how to launch yourself in the right direction with PK Thunder.

Lucas and Ness are easy to learn, I don't see why they're so hard as people say they are....

chic

Smash Ace
I kinda know how you feel. I main luigi, and some of the match ups, such as vs meta knight, snake, and olimar are simply impossible it seems. But the idea of being an underdog and learning new things and improving instead of being a top tier to begin with is cool!

JLynn943

Smash Ace
My friend plays a very good Lucas. Stick with him. I personally think he gets underrated. He's got hit-boxes everywhere, good aerials, and of course has that whole b-sticking thing. Also, I'm pretty sure his jab combo comes out first frame.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Well heres the deal.

Ive played as Lucas always, and I tend to main 1 character, because that way I can focus every ounce of energy on him and training him.

Although noticing how low tier he is, it worrys me. No im not bandwagoning, but look at Gimpyfish, amazing player, but used bowser in melee and it cut him back. Hes still good though.

Also if I did continue, what would you reccomend to train and get better? just playing other humans?
Not really, Lucas is pretty good; definitely a middle tier character.

If you want to decide if you should drop your main, or continue to improve with him, think about Lucas for a sec. Did you take him up to prove that he was good, or did you pick him up because he felt good? If a character feels natural to you, by all means, play as them and conquer. I would never recommend playing a character that felt awkward to you.

As for your second question, definitely train against human players. Computers never punish your mistakes like a human would. Even if your opponents are horrible, they’re still better than a computer.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Definitely stick with Lucas. Tiers should never decide your main. Ever.

Sure that's easy for me to say maining Marth, but guess who my secondary is? Ness. In Melee he's bottom tier and he's judged to be never able to win a tournament by most players (which is false). And guess who's my third most used character? Captain Falcon. Only middle tier in Melee (like Lucas is in Brawl) and considered to be possibly the worst character in the game for Brawl. Do I look like I care? No. Not at all. I love the way Falcon moves and attacks and I wouldn't trade him for Snake or Metaknight.

Stick with who you like, not who's going to win you tournaments.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well the thing is do you think he's low tier?

If the answer is yes then you should switch.

If it's no then don't and prove to everyone he's not low tier.

AlmightyJeebus

Smash Lord
Just perfect Lucas to a point, then try to go with someone that he would die against without much warning, and I do mean
GO!!!
GAME!!!

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
Well heres the deal.

TIERS are for QUEERS

Raidein

Smash Cadet
If you think you may have hit a standstill with Lucas it doesn't hurt to try new characters.
I use to only main Diddy, DK, and DDD for a long while until I started experimenting with others. You should at least have more than one main if not anything IMO...You never know....You may find a character who you never thought would be better than your current main.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Definitely try some other characters out to see if you like them but don't drop Lucas on account of tiers.

staryoshi3

Smash Rookie
What I would suggest is to train a secondary character but only train that secondary character little by little so you can still train a lot with Lucas. What I would suggest is train with one of your friends to find a secondary:)

Tallon4

Smash Rookie
This is pretty much exactly why Tiers are a bad thing. Do yourself a favor and forget it so you can play the character that you like and just enjoy it. Except that is probably impossible at this point,(again, Tiers....bad) so all I can say to help is that in my experience every character I have ever experimented with, which is all of them, I cannot find any flaws profound enough to actually warrant never playing that character again. SSBB is one of the most balanced games I have ever played. Forget the psychological control the list has to deter you from enjoying Lucas.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
If you're not going to play competitively in tournaments, it doesn't matter whom you main. However, if money is on the line, it would be a good idea to be able to use multiple characters, both your favorite (Lucas in your case) and a "high tier" character or two. If you play more characters, you have more options.

Top Bottom