• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Altogether for a chain attack!"-Shulk combo thread

DrShankums

Smash Cadet
Arts swapping to extend/create new combos? Hell yes. I'm sure we'd all appreciate any kind of information on that.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Speaking of, there's quite a bit more to this that I'm wanting to share with you all. Just building on some ideas I've made, having to do with transitioning between arts during combos/attack strings. I'll write something up if there's interest.
Alright. So our character has only a handful of true combos in any art, and due to our range we have little trouble following up on correct reads. Usually despite our attack speed, really. With MALLC our list of true combos does increase, as well as our potential to follow up.

Once I developed a solid idea of how to play Shulk offensively I started to ponder about how to efficiently lead one art into the next. There are normally four different instances where I think about the arts I currently have available:

• In neutral (most common for any Shulk)
  • After launching the opponent
  • After being launched
  • After MALLC
Notice how I said "think about the arts I currently have available" instead of "consider an art change." For obvious reasons it's not always the best idea to switch arts just because you have the time. Alas, I'm getting off topic. Out of the instances listed above the only one that matters for this is the second.

Whether you're in vanilla or have an art equipped, launching the opponent away from you will always be the most advantageous time to switch an art on or off if you want to. In the case of MALLC this is almost completely natural; ideally the art will be activating after you hit the opponent away with an aerial. So for a part of this idea, think of it as roughly the "opposite" of MALLC. Instead of the art activating when you touch the ground, you deactivate an art you have already have equipped as you endure landing lag from the aerial.

By the time your endlag finishes you can have another art already chosen and keep your offense going. Some examples are:
  • Jump/Speed into other any art or vice versa (arguably best)
  • Buster into Smash
  • Shield into Buster
The possibilities go on but I think you all get the idea. I don't mention vanilla here because that will always be better with MALLC rather than this "sister tactic."

It's just deactivating the art as soon as possible after successfully offending (with a grab, ground attack, aerial, etc), to maybe switch to an art that would benefit us more as we continue offending. That's all this tactic is. Switching to Speed or Jump grant us better follow ups and edgeguarding potential. Buster lets us deal inane damage. Smash allows us to kill astoundingly early along with reasonably better edgeguarding. Shield is debatable as always, but logically it wouldn't have much or any use with this; even vanilla is better for every offensive purpose.

Buffered deactivation is going to help most here, because with that the the art will be off as soon as possible. Of course, since deactivating an art puts you in vanilla, you can even use this with MALLC to get true combos.

D-throw + buffered deactivation -> short hop forward + select Jump -> MALLC n-air -> f-air -> f-air -> Air Slash is a true combo after the MALLC n-air.
Just always be aware of when you can deactivate an art after offending. Other than that your usual consideration of what art would be best right then will make this feel more natural. MALLC is superb for offending but if you don't have a good handle on that you can still use this tactic fine without it; I wouldn't call it vital, but it is extremely useful.

Last edited:

DrShankums

Smash Cadet
I've been practicing that string in training mode but I cannot get the 2nd fair> airslash to register as a combo. Is there a % range this works in? I haven't been able to pull it off in a real match yet, but it doesn't seem unrealistic. I'd like to get get a list of possible art transition combos going, I'm wondering what could be done out of speed.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've been practicing that string in training mode but I cannot get the 2nd fair> airslash to register as a combo. Is there a % range this works in? I haven't been able to pull it off in a real match yet, but it doesn't seem unrealistic.
Mid percents, from 40% to maybe 60%. I wouldn't completely trust that deduction though. I'm just estimating based on how far n-air will be sending them, with the MALLC still allowing us to follow up with f-air.

I just tested against Captain Falcon in training at 50% and 70%, and it works fine at both. I'm assuming you know that when you're doing the f-air string offstage, you might have to be making use of fast falls in between because of Jump's increased jump height. In order to get f-air -> f-air or f-air -> Air Slash (to get both hits to connect, at the apex of the move) this is sometimes necessary. I don't know if that's the problem you're having.

I'd like to get get a list of possible art transition combos going, I'm wondering what could be done out of speed.
There really is no limit to the possible combinations. Let your imagination run wild. For comboing, Speed seems to have a special place at the low/mid percent range, but for ending a string in say Jump or Buster, you can end stocks with an Air Slash near the ledge or by smash attacking out of a run.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Pardon the double post.

N-air -> Dash attack

F-air -> Dash attack

Both are among our universal combos from what I can tell. That just means you can do them regardless of the art/vanilla, but the percents differ depending on what you have equipped. The combos are both possible at mid percents (<50%) largely. Meaning, they both work at much later percents in Buster.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
I find that Nair, Dtilt, into Ftilt (use buster at high percentages) is a great combo on heavyweights

I find that Nair, Dtilt, into Ftilt (use buster at high percentages) is a great combo on heavyweights
I've been doing this a bunch of times already. It's also workable against even light characters, surprisingly. I don't know if it's a true combo but buster d-tilt's knockback sets up perfectly into f-tilt so it's legit.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried throwing out an F-Smash? Really throws people off when used at the end of a Nair Dtilt combo.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I know its not as guarenteed, but d-throw into fsmash with buster at early percents can hit decently especially against larger targets and it hits HARD.
I got the idea from I think a John Numbers video posted on the video thread, and its been working well for a 35%+(I think, from memory) early string.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I know its not as guarenteed, but d-throw into fsmash with buster at early percents can hit decently especially against larger targets and it hits HARD.
I got the idea from I think a John Numbers video posted on the video thread, and its been working well for a 35%+(I think, from memory) early string.
Buster dthrow to fsmash is guaranteed on some characters, I made a list showing who it works on

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Pardon the double post.

N-air -> Dash attack

F-air -> Dash attack

Both are among our universal combos from what I can tell. That just means you can do them regardless of the art/vanilla, but the percents differ depending on what you have equipped. The combos are both possible at mid percents (<50%) largely. Meaning, they both work at much later percents in Buster.
Finally, a use for dash attack!

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
Buster dthrow to fsmash is guaranteed on some characters, I made a list showing who it works on
I apologize! I just checked the OP and was a bad boy and didn't read back, just thought I'd share and try to be helpful ;_;

I apologize! I just checked the OP and was a bad boy and didn't read back, just thought I'd share and try to be helpful ;_;
It's okay. I tend to make the same mistake a lot. Lol

But yeah, I love using d-throw to f-smash in buster. I'd n-air > grab > d-throw > f-smash or jab 1 > grab > d-throw > f-smash. Good stuff

KH_FinalFormSora

Smash Rookie
NNID
Malx3000
I have tested that that characters around :4shulk:'s weight (the value is 103) such as :4megaman:(he has the same weight value to my knowledge) are susceptible to a Bthrow - Back slash if they miss the tech. The Bthrow leaves them facing away from Shulk, meaning you will hit the sweet spot. This only works really early, at the 0%-10% range, maybe 15% if they're a little bit heavier. If in buster, it can work around 25%.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I want to see how much decisive Speed extnds the D-throw -> Dash -> Fair combo, so I'm doing just a couple percents. I'm not sure what is used in the OP of the thread to record percents, but I'm using the combo counter on a CPU in training mode set to Control, with no inputs. These are the earliest possible and latest possible percents. The timing is VERY strict at the beginnings and ends of these percents.

Speed D-throw -> Dash -> Fair
Mario 9-62%
Bowser 10-73%

Decisive Speed D-throw -> Dash -> Fair
Mario 8-71%
Bowser 9-79%

So yeah, decreases at the start about 1% and increases at the end somewhere around 6-9% from these two characters. With just two characters, this is really just a rough estimate.

I did some testing of Hyper Speed a little while ago. Its issue it can't jump high enough to reach the person at later percents. Of course, it's also less rewarding with the lesser damage output.

Decisive Buster combo percents seem to be about the same. I'm testing with Buster D-throw -> Air Slash

Buster
Shulk 0-18%
DK 0-53%
Fox 4-30%

Decisive Buster
Shulk 0-17%
Dk 0-52%
Fox 3-29%

Decisive Buster deals just a tiny bit more knockback, probably due to the little more damage it deals. Looks like it's going to be 1% sooner for all D-throw -> Air Slash combos for both high and low percents. As it happens, Decisive Buster D-throw does like 1% more damage, so it makes sense. Let's see... Buster D-throw is 9.8% and D Buster D-throw is 10.78%. Yeah, that's very close to 1%. You can probably extend that trend to all Buster D-throw combos, and could figure out differences in percents with other Buster combos by just finding the difference between the initial hits.

So for decisive Jump... I'm getting the Nair -> FAir -> Fair combo to work at 100% against Mario right now. I'm not going to narrow it down to the exact percent, though. The op of this thread has 75% as the cut-off for regular Jump, so that seems to be quite the increase.The key to the execution of the combo is to hold off on the input for the first Fair for a little bit, so that the second Fair will true combo. Since I'm using AAS, I can buffer up B out of my Fair to stop my horizontal momentum from bringing me into the blast zone, and I can then recover thanks to AAS not reducing horizontal air speed after use.

Nair -> Fair still connects at 130% and kills from the edge of FD. The second Fair does not appear to true combo, or at least not very easily. Nair -> Fair doesn't connect at 140%, but reverse Nair -> Bair does.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So you guys like the amount of Buster combos? 'Cus this post & my next post are about to make the list MUCH bigger.

The theme of these combos? Edge-slipping combos aka True Combos, & I'll give a taste of this damage. . .but first an explanation:

If you tried doing edge-slipping setups with any other Art including Vanilla, then you may get some scenarios where a move could force them to fall off the platform such as Smash Art DAir, but then how will you lock them with a move upon them tumbling backwards & hitting the floor? The answer is you can't, it's impossible. The only way you can get these kinds of edge-slipping combos with Shulk is using the Buster Arts & that's final. The knockback decrease that also means the change of flinching / tumble state / etc., all that ties into why these edge-slipping combos happen.

So with that said, in Training Mode CPU is Mario, CPU Behavior is set to Control, stage is Battlefield, damage is set to 0% for example. My focus was to edge-slip Mario on one of the lower level platforms towards the center in order for these crazy combos to work since trying to Edge-Slip lock on the platform edge closest to the stage's ledge can result in Mario drifting toward it & tumbling off the floor & offstage thus avoiding our lock. At low percents, the moves regardless of being Blade sweetspot or Beam sourspot that can force the tumble state falling off the platform's edge and or lock them into a forced getup floor option are:
  • FTilt (You can either stand on the platform & Edge-Slip them with FTilt, or use FTilt to lock their tumble landing. You cannot FTilt Edge-Slip & try to FTilt lock after:()
  • FSmash 2nd hit angled up, down, or straightforward (If you hit with the 1st hit, the opponent will be knocked up off the ground & the forced getup won't occur)
  • DSmash all 5 hits (It's not possible to actually connect all 5 hits let alone even get 2 of the 3 frontal hits of DSmash to lock them. Even Bowser, who were to be Edge-Slipping from a Beam sourspot FAir for example, will be locked by just the 1st hit of DSmash & be knocked away too far by the 3rd hit (2nd front hit))
  • FAir
  • BAir
  • DAir 2nd hit (The 1st & 2nd hits can both connect for Edge-Slipping as long as the 2nd hit makes them slip off. For locking, you must only connect with the 2nd hit because the 1st hit will bring them back up & the 2nd hit would either Meteor them in place or launch them away with little hitstun)
  • Back Slash's front hit hitting from below aka the hitbox above Shulk
  • Back Slash Leap front hit
  • Back Slash Charge front hit
Note: Back Slash Leap's front hitbox can induce the Edge-Slip or lock them into a forced getup, but causing the Edge-Slip with BSL will have too much endlag for you to even string a platform-drop through FAir to lock Mario. Do not use BSL for Edge-Slipping.
To lock with BSL, a Short Hopped FAir or BAir FF'd from underneath the platform receiving FAir's 17 landing lag frames or BAir's 21 landing lag frames will allow a BSL lock. However, you must be drifting accordingly toward their direction & be far enough from the platform above you because BSL lands on top of it, & being too close to their tumble landing will result hitting their back. That sounds nice since it deals 22%, but they have frame advantage recovering quicker from their hitstun than our endlag. If you choose to use BSL as a lock, you'll at best get a FTilt, DTilt, dash grab, Air Slash, AAS, & to an extent MAS, but you have to have the right mix of fast landing drifting & strict timing or else the MAS won't reach. And while it's great that BSL can lock, there's so much more damage potential with other options for locking.

Note: Back Slash Charge's front hitbox can surprisingly be the Edge-Slip starter & the lock, buuuut because of the horrible endlag you barely have any amount of frame advantage doing either. Since all of BSC's front hitboxes are petty in damage & knockback, it's much harder to to get an Edge-Slip not to mention we're using a Buster Art. Mario could be holding towards the opposite direction & not slip off the platform, while Shulk suffers endlag to the max. You're not guaranteed true combos / damage when using BSC as the Edge-Slip, but you do get a tech case scenario due to having frame advantage. All in all, don't use BSC to Edge-Slip.

Now as for BSC locking, you can Short Hop FAir or BAir provided with the right drifting to distance yourself & ofc fast falling your aerial to land quicker followed by immediately using BSC to lock. I find it easier to use the Beam sourspots for Edge-Slipping. After this you have a very short window of frame advantage but you're right in front of the tumbled victim, & the only options you have are Jab1 into Jab Combo or standing grab into a throw preferably DThrow into DTilt / FTilt / AS / AAS / MAS for heavier characters. While it's cool that even BSC can get lock combos, there's very little to be said about it since you can extend your lock combos even further with other better options.

Now then, how about a taste of damage?

Buster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo:
Blade SH FAir edge-slip (10.5%) > Blade FTilt lock (18.2%) > SH Blade NAir (9.8%) > DThrow (4.2% + 5.6%) > Instant Dash Attack (15.4%)

Total Damage? = 63.7%!
This combo is guaranteed IF you input every option quickly & IF the Mario doesn't hold towards :GCUR: / :GCUL: DI'ing. So Instant Dash Attack can be guaranteed, plus Dash Attack needs some love in our combos <3. But Mario trying to input doublejump still gets hit by DA, & if he tries NAir, he can't get it out in time to challenge IDA & his NAir is frame 3. . .what?:shades: You're not happy with that? Try this next combo!

Buster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo:
Blade SH BAir edge-slip (16.8%) > Blade FTilt lock (18.2%) > SH Blade NAir FF'd (9.8%) > Air Slash (8.4% + 7.7%)

Total Damage? = 60.9%!

Drift your BAir toward them but not too far that you'd be in front of their landing. Be as close as you can be so that you don't have to drift as much for your SH NAir & always make sure to FF it because if you don't, Mario can land on the floor & put up shield before your Air Slash 1st hit can connect. Doing this combo correctly becomes guaranteed on Mario.:shades: What? Still not happy?

Buster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo feat. Chain Attack!:
--Buster Art staying on whole time--
Blade SH BAir (16.8%) > Blade FTilt (18.2%) > SH Blade NAir (9.8%) > Chain Attack light hit (4.2%) > RIki (2.8%) > Shulk (2.8%) > Shulk (2.8%) > Dundun (2.8%) > Shulk (2.8%) > Dundun (2.8%) > Dundun (2.8%) > Shulk (2.8%) > Dundun (2.8%) > Dundun (2.8%) > Shulk (16.8%) > Shulk (7%)

Total Damage? = 100.8%!! WOW! INCREDIBLE!

--Buster Art deactivated during the SH Blade NAir-- . . . wait what?
Explanation: When you land to the ground with an aerial, you can buffer deactivating the Art during the landing lag. In this case, if you were to mash B as you're falling to the ground after the NAir connects, your Buster Art will deactivate & you'll use your Chain Attack Final Smash without any trouble.

[Buster is active] Blade SH BAir (16.8%) > Blade FTilt (18.2%) > SH Blade NAir (9.8%) [Buster is deactivated] > Chain Attack light hit (3%) > Riki (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (12%) > Shulk (5%) [Deadly Blow effect appears here, & it looks awesome]

Total Damage? = 84.8%!! And it KOs!
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
So what about DBuster & HBuster you ask? I'm sure we'd love to know that.;) All I will say is that after doing Edge-Slipping combos with HBuster, I'm terrified of that player who would utilize HBuster in this manner. . .what you want an example?:scared:

HBuster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo:
SH Blade BAir (20.16%) > SH Blade FAir lock FF'd (12.6%) > Blade OR Beam FTilt lock (21.84% OR 19.32%) > SH Blade NAir (11.76%) > Jab Combo (5.88% + 5.88% + 8.904)

Total Damage? = 87.024% if the FTilt lock was Blade OR 84.504% if the FTilt lock was Beam

This combo can go smoothly if you master your drifting & fast falling for your aerials. After your SH BAir hits Mario you must immediately Fast Fall it & begin your next input: SH FAir. You should SH first & then FAir followed with drifting towards them & FF'ing once you know your drifting won't go past Mario when at this point he's already tumbling to the floor. Once you've FF'd & drifted your SH FAir, go for the quick FTilt input upon landing & hope you drifted & FF'd enough to get the Blade hitbox but if not, Beam is fine too. Treat your SH NAir like all the others you've read up 'till now & input SH NAir by jumping forward & press NAir while still holding towards Mario getting up but FF it once you've gotten close enough & waste no time to mash A for Jab Combo.
- - -
Did I mention that HBuster can make Down Smash lock? This Art I swear. .

EDIT:
HBuster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo feat. Chain Attack!:
(Make sure to go to the right side a little past Mario's standing position on the platform above you & have it set to 1/2 (Hold L) speed. Next you cycle to HShield for an easier time & press A on the Smash Ball item but don't worry, the Smash Ball will appear as soon as you Hold L;). Next you quickly cycle to HBuster out of a Short Hop & input FAir to destroy the Smash Ball spawning in fornt of you & while falling or fast falling, you'll happen to HALLC which is great. Turn around to face towards the stage & prepare for your SH BAir input. .Now you have the Smash Ball aura & HBuster active! Let's get this deadly combo started: )

[HBuster is active] SH Blade BAir drifted toward Mario (20.16%) > SH then Blade FAir then drift + FF towards him (12.6%) > Blade FTilt OR Beam FTilt lock (21.84% OR 19.32%) > SH drifting towards Mario, input Blade NAir as soon as you can & drift toward followed by FF'ing it (11.76%) > [Deactivate HBuster here or don't since HBuster won't last long enough for Riki's first hit no matter how fast you do this] > Chain Attack light hit (5.04% or 3%) > Riki (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Dunban (2%) > Shulk (12%) > Shulk (5%) [Deadly Blow effect appears here, & it looks awesome]

Total Damage? = 108.4% if FTilt was Blade, 105.88% if FTilt was Beam O_O. . .:shades::seuss::pimp::grin:

Okay fine, DBuster gets one too!

DBuster Shulk EdgeSlip Combo feat. Chain Attack!:

SH Blade BAir drifting toward him & FF it (18.48%) > SH then Beam FAir while drifting toward Mario & FF (9.24%) > Beam FTilt (17.71%) > Dash to SH & keep drifting towards Mario & finally FF Beam NAir (12.32%) > Chain Attack light hit (4.62%) > Riki (3.08%) > Shulk (3.08%) > Shulk (3.08%) > Dunban (3.08%) > Shulk (3.08%) > Dunban (3.08%) > Dunban (3.08%) > Shulk (3.08%) > Dunban (3.08%) > Dunban (3.08%) > Shulk (18.48%) > Shulk (7.7%)

Total Damage? = 119.35%!!! New Record for highest damage in a Shulk true combo! :shades::crazy:

That DBuster true combo is very specific & I wish you good luck on recreating it yourselves. The "Altogether for a chain attack!" shulk combo thread has been justified for actually having true combos with our final smash. Lol. Too bad the DBuster combo above doesn't KO Mario.:urg:

*Edited typos & fixes*

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Is this still being updated? I found something pretty funny today.

Jump: Down throw -> run -> f-air

This actually works. It functions similarly to the same combo in Speed art.

Jump dtilt>fair is a true combo
Thanks for this. It pressed me to look into it more, because I still couldn't get it consistently even after you verified it.

If you run forward a bit before you jump for the f-air, it'll land much more consistently as the same true combo. That small distance you cover with the run goes a really long way, combined with Jump's aerial mobility.

I've been slacking off too much with this thread.

Also, smash art n-air > air slash

KO's Mario at Yoshi's Island at 54%. Lol

So, just to confirm. Smash Art n-air > air slash is a true combo but the timing is strict.

Jump art (not true) combos: Some of these may actually be true combos but idk

N-air > D-throw > F-air > Air slash
N-air > D-tilt > F-air
N-air > D-tilt > F-air > Air slash
D-tilt > F-air > Air Slash
D-tilt > F-air > F-air
N-air > F-air > D-air

Buster art (not true) combos: From the 2nd hits of the buster combos, you just read how they react. It's either you wait for them to air dodge then perform the 3rd move or you immediately use the 3rd move. Depends tbh. Or, they can just jump away

N-air > D-tilt > Dash grab > B-throw > lol Back Slash
N-air > U-tilt > Air slash
N-air > U-tilt > F-air
N-air > D-tilt > F-air
N-air > D-tilt > F-smash or F-tilt

I'm gonna try grinding for Smash art true combos. I doubt there's any but I'm having some ideas. The higher the knockback, the higher the hitsun so there probably is something.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm gonna try grinding for Smash art true combos. I doubt there's any but I'm having some ideas. The higher the knockback, the higher the hitsun so there probably is something.
Smash Art U-Throw > Air Slash or U-Throw > U-tilt can work on a few characters who notably are mid-heavy to heavy with falling speeds high enough for them to work. Iirc, they were King Dedede, Captain Falcon, & someone else I don't remember.:urg: They were at early percents though so it won't be that important but it's Smash Art combos nonetheless.

EDIT: I bet that Mighty Air Slash could actually work with U-Throw given they don't DI too far away but perhaps a quick SH + Doublejump while moving towards them could work.

Last edited:
U-throw > U-tilt > Air Slash works in Smash art. Reason why I'm somewhat motivated to try out Smash art combos was actually because I kept doing u-throw > air slash on Falcon at low percentages. Deals a measly 8% damage though but with air slash, it deals... ~12%? Idk, I only found out about this a few hours ago.

I've been having some ridiculously dumb ideas with Smash art but hey, shield art being useful all started from the dumb idea of actually getting bodied to maximize its utility so.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I think Mega Man was the mysterious 3rd character I recall it worked on but I'd have to re-confirm it's true before I spurt a claim.

Anyway, U-throw will definitely be Smash Art's most used combo throw. Unless F-throw > Instant Dash Attack somehow works, I don't think B-Throw will work as a combo throw except for Back Slash missed tech? Early Back Slash hype?!. . .Nah, couldn't be.

Last edited:
Interesting

I'll look more into Smash art combos. Damage output is piss poor but, eh

MALLC N-air > Air slash. I'd use this in Smash art. Kills hilariously early at ~66% (3DS). It's basically a more solid and easier variation of Smash art n-air > Air slash. Although jump art N-air > F-air > F-air is much better and it kills even earlier ~58% so um. Eh. Smash art's knockback is too much for Shulk's mobility to make any sort of possible combo. I can only think of combos off from smash art u-throw and that's about it :|

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Decisive Smash's landing N-air > F-air > F-air can work. It can be done at a relatively early percent too. Sometimes you can seal that stock off the side if their recovery isn't good enough.:cool:

Wait a minute, if it works in decisive, I guess it can work in default too. Neat. Landing n-air in smash art though will be an issue but it's not impossible! :D

Omega stage - 3DS version, Sheik gets killed by MALLC n-air > Smash art air slash at 63% from her starting point

Also:

Buster strings
N-air > D-tilt > Dash grab > D-throw > F-smash (56%)
D-tilt > D-tilt > Dash grab > D-throw > F-smash (58%)
N-air > D-tilt > D-tilt (35%)
D-tilt > Dash grab > D-throw > F-smash (46%)
N-air > D-tilt > F-smash (52%) ~Already known tho
N-air > D-tilt > F-tilt (38%) ~Already known tho
N-air > U-tilt > B-air (37%) ~Depends on how the opponent reacts after u-tilt

Last edited:
Anyone mentioned d-tilt > f-smash in buster yet? (As in, without n-air as a combo starter)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Mmmm, that would depend on the placement of D-tilt. Yeah there's the Blade & Beam hitboxes & all, but it's more-so important knowing the placement because characters knocked up from D-tilt's 60° knockback angle on top of the Buster art's knockback reduction makes the launch distance shorter. This ties in with stringing the 1st hit of F-smash & whether or not we angle that upward or downward to extend the hitbox by 1 frame. We also would angle it for character-dependency, like say we D-tilt Peach who's a floaty light character. We'd be better off angling F-smash upward to catch her quicker & for that extra 1 frame extension.:shades:

We should cover the specifics & go about it because I feel D-tilt > F-smash could be true & has much potential to be a helpful combo.

EDIT: Though, if it turns out that F-smash won't reach in time to connect the hit for whatever reason / case, then we always have Air Slash, F-tilt?, or dash grab.

Last edited:
Isn't up-angled f-smash superior to down/no-angled f-smash? Maybe f-smash (w/o angling) is better for smaller opponents like Kirby, Jigglypuff, or Pikachu, but I'm pretty sure upward-angled f-smash has slightly longer horizontal range and more knockback, so it should be the go-to variation of f-smash

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Buster F-smash angled up is superior because it deals more knockback growth, making Buster F-smash safer on-hit at early percentages since it launches them higher up.

I sincerely apologize for this, but in regards to F-smash angled upward having farther horizontal range, it wasn't true. I went back to Training Mode to re-test the 1st hit of F-smash's angles for their MVH, & realized I made a mistake about F-smash angled up having more horizontal range than non-angled F-smash. I remember back when I first attempted this I said that the 2nd hit of F-smash angled up had a better MVH than straightforward, but that wasn't true. So when I checked the MVH for the 1st hit of F-smash & saw that the angled upward listed as having a better MVH than straightforward it threw me off. I already edited it in the Metagame Thread's OP, so to clear the air, the MVH for the 1st hit of F-smash goes in order:
  1. D-Tilt
  2. F-smash 1st hit straightforward
  3. F-Air
  4. F-smash 1st hit angled upward
  5. F-Tilt
  6. F-smash 1st hit angled downward
So yeah, that was educational. I also fixed the mistake of F-smash 2nd hit's MHR with all angles but that's besides the point. Anyhow, a Crate isn't a character, & a character's hurt-box, falling speed, weight, & all the jazz helps determine whether angling F-smash would be better or not. Heavier characters won't be launched up as high from D-Tilt, so it'd be easier to hit them with any angle of F-smash. Lighter & smaller characters get launched higher from D-Tilt so it's more plausible to say that F-smash angled up or straight forward are the go-to's. I feel the only time F-smash angled downward would be right to do is for fast fallers who land to the ground quicker than some mid-heavies.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If you're testing hitboxes or sizes and such, test it on Mega Man
:surprised: How come? I tested a crate on flat ground because the crate is perfectly square & has no hurt-box differences, so it was actually quite helpful finding a move's MVH unlike say Yoshi's nose or I guess we would say Mega Man's feet? I dunno about the feet though.

Anywho, I'll get around to testing D-Tilt > F-smash with or without angling (angling is optional unless it's needed)

Last edited:
Mega Man's hurtbox while staying idle is constant

Unless ofc, he performs his additional idling animations but aside from that, he doesn't move at all

Anyone talked about speed art n-air > d-throw > f-air > air slash yet?

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Speed: fastfall f-air -> run -> f-air (works at around 40-60%)

You might be able to get another f-air/Air Slash depending on DI.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Vanilla/Speed/Buster: fastfall f-air -> Air Slash (works around ~20%, ~20-40%, ~80%)

Got this in a match today and had to question it. But it's legit.

I remember someone mentioning falling up air -> up smash in Buster? I got that to register as a true 3-hit combo once, and I don't know how. That said, I haven't been able to get it again. One of you all might have better luck than I.

D-throw + buffered deactivation -> short hop forward + select Jump -> MALLC n-air -> f-air -> f-air -> Air Slash
Curious. Why'd you add this? It was only an example for an idea I had, rather than a verified true combo.

Curious. Why'd you add this? It was only an example for an idea I had, rather than a verified true combo.
I feel like this was a time when I just decided to add anything I saw in this thread when I was in a rush to update the thread after 10 years. Lol

My bad. I'll remove it

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
New TRUE COMBO time! ALL of these are true combos. The monado art deactivation ones were from @Plain Yogurt in the metagame thread.

(Vanilla)
Nair -> Air Slash (like Nair -> D-tilt, but longer combo percents/more damage)
Nair (back hit, very near) -> Bair sourspot (surprisingly wide combo percents)
Fair -> Air Slash
Fair -> D-tilt
Fair -> F-tilt
Bair -> Air Slash!

(Jump)
Fair (be close to them) -> Land -> SH Fair
Rising SH Fair (hit off the stage and follow) -> Fair or AS
Rising SH Fair -> double jump before reaching ground -> Fair
Fair -> Jab combo
Bair (front hit only) -> jab combo (ROB at 20%)
Bair (very up close) -> F-tilt
Bair (front hit) -> D-tilt

(Hyper Jump)
Fair -> SH Fair -> DJ Fair (Fair³)
Reversed Bair sweetspot -> Bair sourspot (kills ROB at 75%, FD training mode spawn)
RAR Fair (back hit) -> Bair sourspot (kills ROB at 90%)
Bair front hit -> Fair (works on ROB at 65%)
Nair -> Nair
Nair -> Dair (both hits + meteor smash, works at many percents)
Nair -> Uair (both hits)
Nair -> Bair (front hit)
Nair -> FAir -> Bair
Nair -> Fair -> Dair (O_O)
Nair -> Fair -> Uair
Nair -> Fair -> Nair

(Speed)
-Nair -> Dash -> Fair
-Nair -> Dash -> AS
-D-throw-> Buffered deactivation dash -> Vanilla Fair
-D-throw -> Dash -> Air Slash
-D-tilt -> Dash -> Fair
-D-tilt -> Buffered deactivation dash -> Fair
-Speed walking + sliding Down Smash first hit -> Down Smash's second hit (on heavies at low percents)
-Fair -> Jab combo

(Hyper Speed)
-Nair -> FH Fair -> Fair (you do make it back to stage with regular AS)

I was going to include a section for MALLC combos, but that would take too long for me to finish today.

N-air > F-air > F-air is possible in speed art btw

Gonna help out with grinding speed combos. I'll post more when I find more things. Good job erico :)

---

Planning to get all the numbers for the combos. I've already done some work for buster d-throw > d-tilt but **** lol. I'm feeling lazy. I'll continue another time

Last edited:
Top Bottom