• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it was half right.

Maybe he found out about the three characters and added who he thought was likely.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Not entirely sure what you're talking about here.

Anyways, back to the topic of this newly debunked rumor.
How does everyone feel about it?
Relieved for the moment, because I really didn't want Miis in. They're definitely still a likely inclusion though.

Regarding the rumor, the exact specifics between how he got his leaked info don't really matter for the moment. The source claimed to be reliable, and yet they provided false info. Yes, the characters could still be in and just not revealed, yes, Nintendo could have rolled back the announcement for some reason. That doesn't really matter, though. This guy said "6 characters at E3". We got 3 characters at E3. The rumor was false.

Until proven otherwise, the "source" is a lucky guesser and nothing more. Being people who accurately predicted rosters for previous games makes these guys likely targets for people interested in spreading misinformation en masse, as respected posters with a history of accuracy lend legitimacy to even a somewhat or wholly false bit of information. Something to keep in mind.

salromano

Smash Rookie
Hi, guys. I see there's a lot of discussion here. So just to clarify some things.

He didn't post anything about the source before but he did say he had one. Or rather that a "friend" had one.
Right here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58046232
Check the date and everything. It's beforehand.

To those who quoted and responded to this, if you read the link, you'd see it has nothing to do with any source of mine. The friend I mention linked me to the site in a Facebook message because he found it somewhere (probably reddit or N4G or something) and thought it was interesting. I wasn't "dead wrong" about anything because none of that is from me.

As for some people saying I published this information "after the fact," both the June 10 NeoGAF post and Gematsu article are from me. If you paid attention to the authors of both, you'd see they say 'salromano'. Also, my avatar on GAF is the (Mark Cernified) Gematsu mascot.

Anyway, getting to the actual reveals. As I said in my post on Gematsu, I don't know the legitimacy of the person who tipped me, which is why I held onto this information (it'd be unprofessional to publish something without verification) and posted it on NeoGAF as 'speculation'. I thought all the characters were pretty outlandish, to be honest. Especially Wii Fit Trainer girl. I wasn't even aware she was an actual character. But yeah, after she was confirmed, I figured I'd share the rest, which my source told me would appear at E3, barring impromptu change.

That said, it's possible their reveal dates got pushed back or something. I'd think 6 new character reveals are pretty heavy for a single expo.

I'm still inclined to believe the guy considering he was spot on about three of 'em (including the most unlikely). I don't know. But considering that boxing ring stage, Sakurai's talk about customization, and his seemingly interested back-and-forth with IGN about Pac-Man, it's hard to think otherwise.

If I hear anything further, I'll let you guys now. I'm out for now!

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Hi, guys. I see there's a lot of discussion here. So just to clarify some things.

To those who quoted and responded to this, if you read the link, you'd see it has nothing to do with any source of mine. The friend I mention linked me to the site in a Facebook message because he found it somewhere (probably reddit or N4G or something) and thought it was interesting. I wasn't "dead wrong" about anything because none of that is from me.

As for some people saying I published this information "after the fact," both the June 10 NeoGAF post and Gematsu article are from me. If you paid attention to the authors of both, you'd see they say 'salromano'. Also, my avatar on GAF is the (Mark Cernified) Gematsu mascot.

Anyway, getting to the actual reveals. As I said in my post on Gematsu, I don't know the legitimacy of the person who tipped me, which is why I held onto this information (it'd be unprofessional to publish something without verification) and posted it on NeoGAF as 'speculation'. I thought all the characters were pretty outlandish, to be honest. Especially Wii Fit Trainer girl. I wasn't even aware she was an actual character. But yeah, after she was confirmed, I figured I'd share the rest, which my source told me would appear at E3, barring impromptu change.

That said, it's possible their reveal dates got pushed back or something. I'd think 6 new character reveals are pretty heavy for a single expo.

I'm still inclined to believe the guy considering he was spot on about three of 'em (including the most unlikely). I don't know. But considering that boxing ring stage, Sakurai's talk about customization, and his seemingly interested back-and-forth with IGN about Pac-Man, it's hard to think otherwise.

If I hear anything further, I'll let you guys now. I'm out for now!
Cheers for the clarification Sal :grin:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
You guys think there's a chance they're revealed on Friday? I remember back in the Dojo days, Sakurai would often save the character reveals for the last update of the week (Friday).

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
You guys think there's a chance they're revealed on Friday? I remember back in the Dojo days, Sakurai would often save the character reveals for the last update of the week (Friday).

That would be cool if they did yes i remember Sakurai saving the character reveals for the last update of the week hope he does it again.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Who needs Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo when you can have a fully customizable bowling pin with tube-like limbs??

"Heeyyyyyy" ~ Mii joins the fight!

In all seriousness, I'm glad the rumor was false. Still concerned though...

First I find out Smash 4 will have limited newcomers and may have character cuts due to space issues and 3ds compatibility.
Now we have rumors of playable Miis and Pac-Man.

The thought of losing Wolf, Ike and Lucario and not getting Mewtwo or K. Rool in favor of custom Miis makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
The thought of losing Wolf, Ike and Lucario and not getting Mewtwo or K. Rool in favor of custom Miis makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.
You won't lose them in favour of other characters. Characters don't get cut because others are in instead. If any of those are cut or not added it's because the team couldn't figure out how to make them work within the entire roster.

Pretty sure I've said this about 10, 000 times now. I should save it in a notepad document to paste in from now.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You won't lose them in favour of other characters. Characters don't get cut because others are in instead. If any of those are cut or not added it's because the team couldn't figure out how to make them work within the entire roster.

Pretty sure I've said this about 10, 000 times now. I should save it in a notepad document to paste in from now.

Or they ran out of time. I am thinking that Sakurai does the characters in stages and doesn't complete them all until most the game is done.

For example the characters shown at E3 are possibly the only characters completed at this point.

In the case of Brawl, he was never able to get around to adding in Mewtwo or Roy in the timeline.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm also happy to see the rumour being false. I disliked the idea of Miis and would rather have some Nintendo character over Pac-Man.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just curious, WHERE did it say they HAD to appear at E3 and nowhere else? I don't care if the leak is real or not but I haven't seen such specifics.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Just curious, WHERE did it say they HAD to appear at E3 and nowhere else? I don't care if the leak is real or not but I haven't seen such specifics.

The guy relating the news confirmed that his source said they would all be revealed at E3, earlier in this thread in fact.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Yes, but as already mentioned, when time, money, space and resources are limited, sometimes cuts have to be made. Miis will utilize time, money, space and resources that could otherwise go to more popular characters. If what you were saying was true, every single character imaginable could be in Smash 4 at the same time, making it impossible for the Mii to fill ANY roster slot that another character could. Its simply not true, unless Sakurai has infinite money, a 4TB hard drive specifically for Smash, 25 years to develop the game, and infinite staff to program it. Regardless of who it is, if Mii is in, resources towards other wanted newcomers disappear.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Yes, but as already mentioned, when time, money, space and resources are limited, sometimes cuts have to be made. Miis will utilize time, money, space and resources that could otherwise go to more popular characters. If what you were saying was true, every single character imaginable could be in Smash 4 at the same time, making it impossible for the Mii to fill ANY roster slot that another character could. Its simply not true, unless Sakurai has infinite money, a 4TB hard drive specifically for Smash, 25 years to develop the game, and infinite staff to program it. Regardless of who it is, if Mii is in, resources towards other wanted newcomers disappear.
Because that's how game development works.

NO.

What I mean is that they figure out a mostly concrete idea for the roster pretty early on and occasionally change it to see it. Nowhere did I imply EVERYONE EVARZ would get in. I understand limitation. But the main point I was trying to make was; if Sakurai wants your favourite characters to be in it, they will be in it. If he doesn't, they won't. Him adding characters you don't like doesn't mean your favourites won't also be there.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Because that's how game development works.

NO.

What I mean is that they figure out a mostly concrete idea for the roster pretty early on and occasionally change it to see it. Nowhere did I imply EVERYONE EVARZ would get in. I understand limitation. But the main point I was trying to make was; if Sakurai wants your favourite characters to be in it, they will be in it. If he doesn't, they won't. Him adding characters you don't like doesn't mean your favourites won't also be there.
Correct. But this is why I would be disappointed to see characters go, and Mii make it in. Its not even personal bias. 20x more people want the characters I listed than the Mii. Most people hate the thought of its inclusion. With limited resources, we may see veterans and severely wanted newcomers not making it, yet may see the Mii. Keep in mind that Sonic's inclusion is part of what made Mewtwo and Roy impossible.

What I'm saying is: Mii would be a poor choice of a roster slot when you could keep a veteran or add a more popular newcomer instead. Especially because we have WFT, we don't need another modern Wii rep or WTF character. And while people hated her at first, she is still more well-received now than the idea of the Mii.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
What I'm saying is: Mii would be a poor choice of a roster slot when you could keep a veteran or add a more popular newcomer instead. Especially because we have WFT, we don't need another modern Wii rep or WTF character. And while people hated her at first, she is still more well-received now than the idea of the Mii.

You're still arguing the same point. If a veteran was to return and another new character, then they would. Yes, programming in the Mii and whatnot takes time, space, money etc and I'm inclined to agree; given a choice between Mii and, say, Ridley; I'd choose the latter. HOWEVER how would it be possible that Sakurai hasn't already considered everything before-hand?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The idea of Pac-man has grown on me and I have no reason to oppose Little Mac.

But this rumor is false and always has been false. I don't think they're going to do anymore bulk character reveals either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No one would ever pick Wii Fit Trainer by any odds. So why do you think it's false.
Are you telling me that 0% of people who bothered to speculate about the game did not even bother to remotely consider Wii Fit Trainer?
ABSOLUTELY nobody?

ಠ_ಠ

Also E3 is over and it said that they would all be revealed at E3.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'm betting this is a list of characters that they've prepared smashbros.com pages for. The author probably assumed these were the E3 reveals, but they're simply the reveals in upcoming weeks.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Are you telling me that 0% of people who bothered to speculate about the game did not even bother to remotely consider Wii Fit Trainer?
ABSOLUTELY nobody?

ಠ_ಠ

Well the odds are as a Smash fan or, you would likely never consider WFT as your prediction.
It's probably obvious somewhere in the world someone said Wii Fit Trainer and Smash Bros combined in one sentence.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
But this rumor is false and always has been false. I don't think they're going to do anymore bulk character reveals either.
The only thing about the rumor that's flat out false is that all 6 characters would be revealed at E3, and honestly, that's pretty irrelevant because plans change all the time. However, the fact that he hasn't gotten any of the characters wrong yet, or better yet, the fact that he got 3 characters (One of which being extremely unlikely) right makes the validity of this rumor more believable than not.

It's funny how you're holding on to that ONE minuscule detail that was wrong, and ignoring the THREE other extremely unlikely details that were spot on.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't know. It seemed like a pretty important detail, man.

If one part of the rumor is wrong then the whole rumor is on. That's not to say the three won't be revealed, just the people who still believe in this rumor are grasping for hope at this point.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
If one part of the rumor is wrong then the whole rumor is on. That's not to say the three won't be revealed, just the people who still believe in this rumor are grasping for hope at this point.
I'd say the opposite. Anyone who doesn't believe this is in denial.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd say the opposite. Anyone who doesn't believe this is in denial.
Anyone that doesn't believe "Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Mii, Pac-man, and Little Mac will be revealed during E3" is correct, though.
Because it didn't happen.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Listen man, I've been speculating Smash 4 since 2008, and I've easily read over 20,000 posts on the topic, and I've never seen anyone mention the Wii Fit Trainer. Never. I saw Wii Fit mentioned for a stage and whatnot maybe once or twice, but nobody even brought up the Wii Fit Trainer for the stage idea. That's how crazy that choice was.

There's a very little chance this isn't true. But even if it is true, it doesn't mean the Mii gets its' own slot, because Miis could still be an alternate skin/mask for the Villager like in Animal Crossing: City Folk.

You have a right to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. Snake was the most unique character in Brawl, and was the first zoning character. He's totally unique in that he sticks out from all the Nintendo characters, which is great aesthetically. The same goes for Sonic and Mega Man, which I think fits Smash quite well.
I really hope your right on the mii because I don't really see how the mii can be different enough from the villager to warrant an inclusion. 1) mii and the villager look the same, 2) move set is something I imagine being similar as well.

Retrogecko

Smash Rookie
Fingers crossed that this guy was lucky. Or that he somehow knew the first 3 and is just messing with us on the others...I feel like the WFT was an "interesting" choice, for sure. But Pac-Man and Mii?? No. Just no.

I feel like they would somehow cheapen or take-away from these games...

I'd say Miis should make an appearance in the background or *maybe* as an assist trophy, assuming they'll return. But as for actual playability - no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom