• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I have no idea how starcraft rankings work but I was under the impression it matters who you play against?

Also notice that list is a North American ranking for battle.net from September 7th I'm not trying to start a poop fight I'm just saying having that rank is significant compared to the average player (I couldn't get that rank).

Tyson651 said:
one downside to the sc2 ranks is that they rank you on your points, so as long as you play a lot consistently then you'll eventually make it to the top.
But doesn't that make sense? I can't come up with any other way to rank players. If I remember anything from my Halo 3 days, it's not possible to play "a lot" and "consistently" without getting matched against other good players.

If you were a decent rank in Halo you could only win like 2 really easy matches in a row in a competitive game type before you got paired with someone of similar skill.

T-block

B2B TST
Starcraft II has two rankings. One is the ladder points, which is what everyone sees. They tend to be inflated by things like the bonus pool. It rewards playing more games.

The other is the matchmaking rating, which can't be seen. It's what the matchmaking system uses to try to find equally-skilled opponents, and it's unrelated to ladder points. It goes up and down depending on who you beat/lose to more accurately than ladder points do, and they don't get inflated by bonus pool or by playing more games in Bronze, etc.

So MMR reflects your actual skill, while ladder points tend to take into account how much you play as well, but we can't see MMR.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
SC2 ratings are pretty screwed. I was in Plat for the beta, cause I actually looked up build orders and strats and stuff... Then I saw some people cannon rush their way to platinum. I DC'ed/sandbagged for my placement matches once the game was released and now I'm a custom/team game playing n00b XD

KeSPA ranking system is so much better

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Starcraft II has two rankings. One is the ladder points, which is what everyone sees. They tend to be inflated by things like the bonus pool. It rewards playing more games.

The other is the matchmaking rating, which can't be seen. It's what the matchmaking system uses to try to find equally-skilled opponents, and it's unrelated to ladder points. It goes up and down depending on who you beat/lose to more accurately than ladder points do, and they don't get inflated by bonus pool or by playing more games in Bronze, etc.

So MMR reflects your actual skill, while ladder points tend to take into account how much you play as well, but we can't see MMR.
sounds like they dun goofed

t3h Icy

Smash Master
After some "now BC should come to Alberta" stuff in their Brawl tourney results thread, we could probably get some BC people to visit too. n_n

We should really start working on something for the Winter holidays. =D

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
my friend from my hometown linked me that like yesterday why all of a sudden are people finding it even though its like 2-3 years old? (not trying to be an elitist d-bag) just curious if it was on tv or something

Tyson651

Smash Lord
I think the rankings are also based a lot on who you beat and who you lose to right?
I have no idea how starcraft rankings work but I was under the impression it matters who you play against?

Also notice that list is a North American ranking for battle.net from September 7th I'm not trying to start a poop fight I'm just saying having that rank is significant compared to the average player (I couldn't get that rank).

But doesn't that make sense? I can't come up with any other way to rank players. If I remember anything from my Halo 3 days, it's not possible to play "a lot" and "consistently" without getting matched against other good players.

If you were a decent rank in Halo you could only win like 2 really easy matches in a row in a competitive game type before you got paired with someone of similar skill.
i'm sure most of the people in this thread can get that rank as long as they put the time and effort into it.

obviously we can't though, since we can barely commit half the week of playing sc2 (if even 1 day at most).

you basically get a bonus pool for your ladder points which increases the points gained for every win, while the points lost from losing stays the same.

if you win against someone who is "favoured" in rank, then you'll gain something like 20-45 points for the win. if you win against someone who is "slightly favoured" then you'll gain 10-20 points. evenly matched would be about 5-10 points, and losing when you're slightly favoured or favoured would be -7 and -14 or so.

as long as your wins equal your losses (which means you're not that good compared to everyone else since a 50/50 win/loss ratio means you're "average") you'll get a lot of points.

you won't get them fast, but you will get them eventually. as for other (pro) players they can get high high points from a really good win/loss ratio, but with half the amount of games played.

and before anyone argues about leagues and being in diamond means you're awesome, it doesnt. getting into diamond is as easy as learning to wavedash in melee.

im not trying to start any poop fight either, just wanted to voice my opinion with playing a lot vs being really good (comparative to the competitive scene of course)

also ya, there isnt any other way to rank people other than a points system, but thats also why competitive people dont take the ranking seriously.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I see....

they should make win ratio mean more then
yeah I remember in halo 2 once you got to level 30 or so in doubles you had to win 10 matches (no joke) in a row without losing to raise another level. And then the next day if you lost a doubles round or got cheated you would lose a level and rage so hard.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i would say that would be a better ranking system.

consistently winning, instead of consistently playing.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
yo vic

so i finally booked the room for the next monthly on nov 20, it's in GSB 211, are you still hosting melee alongside the brawl monthly there?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
thank you white mike!!! Yeah man totally! Thanks a lot!

I hope a lot of people attend! Its free of charge hehehe =p

Top Bottom