• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
It's DEFINITELY the other way around nowadays, the only people who have 50's in Team Slayer are those who are able to survive all of Bungie's gayness and still do well, all you need in MLG is a really bad connection or a really good connection and / or getting carried and / or hoping that your opponents disconnect (which is about 90 % of the time) and you get a 50. Which explains why I checked midgame in Team Slayer and I had like 12 kills and Kyle had like 5 or something. >_>

P.S. Yoshara: Kyle admitted I'm better than him. :) But Kyle's still good. He just leaves too often. :(
Its true i played like 15 games with my 50 friends in MLG and we only lost 2 games, i almost got a perfection on one of the games.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Ehhh, I guess if I have money to waste sure.

I'll probs do low tier, and if I have the cash, I'll luls around as MK again in singles.

and I think me and Alex are teaming for Brawl since he's serious, and I'm the best in Calgary (aside from him if he ever played it lol)

oh wait brawl rankings are a joke nvm

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
go MK and see how far you go. lol seriously.

lol oh yeah I heard Alex is picking up brawl again.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Thats what I did last time lol, I got second. Remember?

I wouldn't have found it so funny, if I hadn't beat like 7 other MK's, cause I expected to lose to them since they were tryign etc.

Like the best match for me there was Sid's MK vs my DK, I actually had to try, but then again I was DK.

Alex never quit brawl, Calgary did.

Then Calgary quit everything.

edit: OOH OOOH but now I'm trying to start a competitive BlazBlue scene <3

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
First of all, Online sucks for anything remotely competitive (AKA Smash, Street Fighter, etc.) Just face it.

Especially BlazBlue, it has great online, with an incredible system to it (honestly the best I've seen in a long time in terms of fighters or just general online even)

But still you can't expect to have realistic matches on that **** (of course no one expects to have good matches, but you're basing buying a game off it, thats pretty important)

(Protip: If nobody noticed, I said halo's a bad game because Online is pretty much all it has going for it, and online doesn't matter for ****.)(Halo is not good competitive, give it up Fanboys)(all it is is fun, nothing else)
Virtua Fighter 5 (I think it's 5, the newest one) has a good online. Sure, there's some offset lag, but it's better than nothing. Plus, you can't compare Wii online to PS3 / 360 online LOL. It's like comparing the strength of a mouse to the strength of a tiger.

Btw you're stupid, Halo isn't the best game in the world but it's more competitive than 99 % of games, and that includes pretty much every single fighter game (like Blazblue) except for maybe a couple.

P.S. Whoever called me a Halo fanboy for wanting online is dumb, I don't even play Halo that much and I would want online regardless if I played Halo or not.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Tyler, you're being an idiot again. You're speaking about things you don't know **** about.

Firstly I never mentioned the wii, (I mentioned smash in a list that included etc, seriously) I was talknig about online in general, when it comes to competitive games where timing matters, Online isn't good. Thats fact, it can be fun, it can be helpful, but it is NOT good.

Halo is maybe more competitive than 99% of games, considering theres about a zillion MMO's and horrible games. But frankly, don't try and tell me Halo is more competitive in any aspect other than fanbase (of course they have a huge fanbase, that doesnt mean **** to me) because the game has very little value in anything other than strategy. Which is very little anyways.

****, Hello kitty's Roller adventure has more skill based competitive aspects than Halo.

Honestly, the only thing that makes one person better than the next at Halo, is how good their vision is, how good their hand eye coordination is, and how well they know the maps and how common any given move is (luck)

edit: Hey Tyler, which is more competitive, Smash(Melee, and Brawl, but each in it's own category) or Halo? (3, because the only other one worth mentioning is 2, which is frankly better but lol'able in terms of arguements due to BXR)

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Tyler, you're being an idiot again. You're speaking about things you don't know **** about.

Firstly I never mentioned the wii, (I mentioned smash in a list that included etc, seriously) I was talknig about online in general, when it comes to competitive games where timing matters, Online isn't good. Thats fact, it can be fun, it can be helpful, but it is NOT good.

Halo is maybe more competitive than 99% of games, considering theres about a zillion MMO's and horrible games. But frankly, don't try and tell me Halo is more competitive in any aspect other than fanbase (of course they have a huge fanbase, that doesnt mean **** to me) because the game has very little value in anything other than strategy. Which is very little anyways.

****, Hello kitty's Roller adventure has more skill based competitive aspects than Halo.

Honestly, the only thing that makes one person better than the next at Halo, is how good their vision is, how good their hand eye coordination is, and how well they know the maps and how common any given move is (luck)

edit: Hey Tyler, which is more competitive, Smash(Melee, and Brawl, but each in it's own category) or Halo? (3, because the only other one worth mentioning is 2, which is frankly better but lol'able in terms of arguements due to BXR)
Halo doesn't really require that much complex technical skill but it's more based on perfecting simple technical skill like sniping and outBR'ing your opponents. Team setups and approaches in Halo require more skill than any other game. Your post had credibility up until where you said it's all about vision and hand eye coordination etc. That's ******** and stupid, and that proves that you really don't know much about the game at all.

Halo 3 is more competitive than Smash but Smash games are way better than Halo. Both games get really boring if you play them too much (then again, that kind of happens with a lot of games but happens quickly with the titles mentioned), but overall Smash is way funner in terms of gameplay, Halo has more options like online replays and stage making with Sandbox and stuff, but the fun of it is mainly through beating people. In Smash, you can still have fun even if you lose. Oh, and proof of how competitive Halo is is how much difference there is in professional teams. You can have professional teams completely DOMINATING other professional teams like 50-20 because of team chemistry, and then you can have another team dominate that dominant team 50-20 as well. Often, the competition actually gets too much and there's too much trash talk and **** instead of actually having fun...

Also Halo isn't for everybody, a lot of people think it's garbage and prefer GeoW whereas typically the other side of the shooter game audience prefers Halo and hates GeoW. Both games are good except you have to actually play them a lot and familiarize yourself with them over a few hundred games before you can start appreciating its good aspects instead of criticizing its faults. I really don't like Halo all that much myself, I just play it once in a while cause it's fun wrecking people who think they're so good. I actually think the game is pretty gay.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
k fine, I'l reiterate, Halo 3 (since playing 1v1 is ridiculously stupid) is about communication on top of what I said, and not what you said.

You don't realize what I mean by competitive, of course Halo has the biggest fanbase, more people, more fans going "OOOOOOOOOOOOOH" when something happens, the feeling of competitive-ness.

But Halo itself, in a game, does not deserve it. The game isn't competitive, Smash is way more competitive because it actually requires a lot more thinking, skill, all that combined.

Halo is kind of a Joke, to me it's a party game like Brawl.

FPS's that are even wrothy of being competitive are hard to come accross, because theres nothing to them besides aim and shoot. When you take aim and shoot competitive, it becomes, Where should I be ready to aim and shoot.

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
wow brad is citing correctly in an argument.

virtua fighter 5 online is like rock paper scissors pretty much. you move in turn and try to counter eachother out via prediction. kinda like brawl. only brawl actually has funny **** that happens once every 12 months (like adat LOLOLOLOLSOISOISOI). but really, complicated fighters don't work well with online, after 2 frames of lag it's just ****ing annoying to deal with, so unless you can manage some p2p matches on xbox live it'll suck online. To put things into place here; I bet most brawl players here don't even use online, and that's saying something.

edit: bread if you don't geet my text it's my dad's birthday so I dunno if I can have you over

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Well I don't know if it was Virtua Fighter 5 or not, but I heard of one game that was originally online at 60 fps and then downgraded to 30 fps and I heard there wasn't that much lag, like it was actually quite playable. My point stands though, I'm not going to buy a game so I can play against computers all day long until I stop playing it...I'd take laggy online over no online any day. =/

And btw, if you really want to simplify Halo as being "take aim and shoot", then I can just say Smash is all about hitting people with random **** until they die. Halo is more competitive because there's more levels of skill that are involved, you can literally have MANY different levels of "professional" skill defined, whereas Smash is pretty much amateur, semi-pro, or pro. Really, it's not just about shooting people, in fact once you get down to it, actually shooting people is the least skill-requiring part of the sport.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Yeah Levi I got it, just let me know k?

Well I don't know if it was Virtua Fighter 5 or not, but I heard of one game that was originally online at 60 fps and then downgraded to 30 fps and I heard there wasn't that much lag, like it was actually quite playable. My point stands though, I'm not going to buy a game so I can play against computers all day long until I stop playing it...I'd take laggy online over no online any day. =/

And btw, if you really want to simplify Halo as being "take aim and shoot", then I can just say Smash is all about hitting people with random **** until they die. Halo is more competitive because there's more levels of skill that are involved, you can literally have MANY different levels of "professional" skill defined, whereas Smash is pretty much amateur, semi-pro, or pro. Really, it's not just about shooting people, in fact once you get down to it, actually shooting people is the least skill-requiring part of the sport.
First of all, online still isn't trustworthy thats the point, because it's commonly the people who lag and thats the problem.

And wtf, if you downgrade from 60 to 30, even that is very annoying, it doesn't seem like much, but think about it, for exmaple you're a kirby main, and you kirbycide someone, and you have 6 frames to jump after their death and live. Well this has now been changed to 3, Yes it's the same LENGTH of time, but the actual timing for the button press has changed due to frame patterns and length of frames previous to it. A really well developed (or uber pro) kirby would probably have it timed down to jumping literally the frame it happens, changing frame timing would ruin that. But really thats kinda rare, I will admit. (but I think it affects DI a bunch, but thats more specific even if it's true)

and taking laggy online is about fun games(playing games for fun), which is really all I play games for, but I enjoy good competition so it works out to play competitively.

Sorry, it's not just aim and shoot. It's aim and shoot before the other guy does.

And Tyler thats what it is, you do just hit the person till they die, but the methods upon which you stay alive, try to kill them, etc. Are incredibly wide spread and variable under circumstance and crucial to the game (this is one of the reasons smash is more competitive IMO than pretty much any fighter, but thats my opinion in that case)

also you realize players professional skill is set at levels by the players choosing?

Are you trying to tell me that there's literally 3 levels of smashers? So everyone is one of these. Well I'll pull 4 random players then, Me, Carl, Forward, and Ken. Now playeres may have changed, but think about it. Ken > Forward > Carl > Me. You can easily fill in new players if you don't like the variance in skill there.

Now you see how thats already more than three levels? what if I started throwing in people like Darkrain, Zhu, All that ***** do is grab etc. Just think for a second.

Also a shooting game not about shooting? oh okay thats cool. Of course theres aspects to it, my point is the game's boundaries can hardly be stretched, no one can (using smash as an exmaple) "miss a tech on a weird knockback for a back air" leading to a combo never seen before. Halo just has limits, the most you can do is find out where your enemy is, and pull a trigger and aim fast enough to kill all of them before they kill you, and even then if they're all bunched together like that, they're probably (PROBABLY I don't care nor think about halo ever) doing something wrong.

So Tyler, can you do me a favour, and rather than argue everything you like just to defend it, just let it go, or say you don't agree but don't start a debate. Because simply put when your arguement has no defending facts on your side (you simply say that Halo is more than that, rather than explain why) and your facts trying to say my point is invalid (the smash ones) all sound like they came from stupid youtube comments, or the ******** player profiles on smashwiki; Your arguements gonna be pretty invalid, and frankly just stupid.

Get some experience plz.

Edit: wtf, smashboards logged me out while writing this, god**** I hate smashboards. I just about lost this post lol

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
Reading all these posts on halo and how competitive it is makes me laugh.
Cause I'm really the only competitive halo player around here, Tyler just plays for fun.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I know, Tylers a turd when it comes to argueing. Arguing? Argueing? Arguing...

Also, Just curious, do you at least slightly agree with me that Halo isn't that competitive of a game, (taking in mind, that yes it's got a hugely competitive fanbase, but thats something else, I'm talking the game itself, theres not a whole lot to it)

actually I'mma rant in depth here, This part is just opinion, not trying to argue with it, but just something I feel like noting.

I'm not sure but last I heard Halo didn't have a level creator, I mean I know about that thing where you change your setting etc, so that your game is personalized, but thats not a level CREATOR (of course most level creators suck, but this one doesnt even let you try)

Why is this? Because if they let you create levels, there would be no point to ever getting another Halo game, I mean I never thought there was a real good reason anyways, but all there is in the game is a basic FPS, you add terrain, characters, and thats really all you need, they don't add real huge aspects to the game to make it unique, they do a design, but really, thats an artists work, the game itself is just a bunch of characters, pointing and shooting at eachother. Every expansion can pretty much take the old game, make new levels and re-release it.

Taking in mind, I know this is kinda how it is for smash too, but I'm not really a fan of sequels ever frankly, (brawl sux), because usually if you like the game and they change it, you won't like it as much.

But with Smash, thats the whole point it's a game based off a system thats only slightly manipulatable, and then you create characterss that all interact with the environment differently.

Then you take Halo once again, and you have literally, heres a mans, heres 10 of the same mans, and heres a forest or something, now find eachother and shoot eachother first.

Personally, I find Timesplitters (2 and I dunno if future perfect has it) to have more competitive value, because at least then there was crouch cancelling (I dunno the real name, but essentially you jump crouch to get the boost of speed and being able to cancel yourself out of the air, so you move fast and have perfect control still (and it can be used to dodge). Of course this move would be spammed if the game was ever taken competitively, but at least it's a competitive aspect, whereas Halo you don't even have that.

Welp, I'm done for now, I really do much prefer not organizing my thoughts and ranting like this, even though it's ****ty for arguements.

Skrem

Smash Apprentice
Wow Long post.

When I think of halo...... who am i kidding, i never think of halo.
That game - aside from the excessive repetiveness of the levels and the exceptionally mundane task of killing alien lifeforms with generally average weaponry, creates for me imagery of an all american southern alabama guy wearing a wife beater screaming into his ear ***** about taking it in the *** by some other guys pistol.....

that said, I would like it known that this is a redonkulous thing to argue about - when we should be discussing the upcoming touny adat2 and how badly peach will destroy the brackets :D

*cough cough*

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
I'm not taking any sides on smash or halo I'm just going to state my opinion.

Smash and Halo are equal in competitive play (I play both and i have watched pros several times and i have seen fan boys on both sides), Smash is more, and correct me if I'm wrong, is more mind games and getting into your guys head. IMO M2K has more technical skill then Ken but Ken has more mindgames. Thats what i think Smash is mostly about.

Halo is all about teamwork, It's not all about point and shoot. If you ever played a pro before in halo which i have you will realize that it's way more than that after they destroy you. You got Support players, Objective Players, and just straight up Slayers. Support players simply escort the objective player to the objective and with just put shots on everything he sees. Objective is usually in the heart of the other teams base because he is the one pulling the flag or is in the hill, he sits and in there and looks around the map to tell his teammates about on coming enemies. Slayers are obvious, they slay. They pick up snipers and rocket launchers, and for the most part have the best battle rifles out of the team. Each player has his or hers own little role on the team that will contribute to how well your teams does. There is a MASSIVE skill gap between the best pro and the worst pro. Neighbor is the best pro and for good reason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvAonG_r69w&feature=channel_page . If you want video evidence of how big the skill gap between players are here it is. I have many more if you need. But back to the point halo is way more than point and shoot, there are trick jumps like ghost jumps and invisible walls that you can jump off to get to your objective faster and sneakier. The few seconds that you do this can win you game or lose it if you fail the jump. Halo is all about team work, almost none of it is skill anymore.

Sorry my post on halo was bigger because i know more about halo than i do about Smash XD

Edit: I hate ir when people use the word "luck" Because both halo and smash have the same amounts of luck it just comes out in different ways. Like in Smash they can suicide and it will give you a 1 stock lead and in halo you can get a lucky no scope and it will get you hyped up and you will go on a rampage after that.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why I'm back from the dead, but here I am.

For the record, I'm going to try to learn BlazBlue, too. I'm willing to have some matches in SF4 with people around here, too, if anyone plays it.

Online play is a great addition to any game. It will never replace local play due to the lag, but thinking that online isn't important is just ridiculous. If you had access to a version of Melee that was online but had 5-8 frames of lag, you'd play that all day. It wouldn't be perfect, you'd mess up some stuff you'd normally hit, you'd have to adjust your timing and you'd be annoyed doing it... but then you'd start to have a blast. And, really, online play will only continue to get better as the networking infrastructure in the US/Canada improves (it's 5+ years away though). I play a lot of SF4 (online and locally), and lag can be bad at times, but there are also matches where it's more than playable. You just look for those matches and have fun practicing against people you'd never meet otherwise.

Online is a diversion, but it's a fun and absolutely necessary diversion for any competitive game now. Lag is also magnified in timing-heavy games like fighters... for many other games, it's less of a factor.

We'll see how much I like BlazBlue, but I'm looking forward to putting some time into learning it. I have a 360 and two of those nice TE sticks (for SF4, 3rd strike, etc), so should be fun. And I have a lot of friends who are top Guilty Gear players, so hopefully they'll get into the game as well and the scene expands. Hopefully you guys aren't planning on learning on the controller! :)

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
lol skrem, too good.

RIck, I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will say, my luck statement was entirely different. Trust me, it applys, but it's nothing important.

RIcky, me and Alex play SF4 sometimes.

Gah I must get a TE stick too, but keep me updated on the scene cause I wanna take BB competitive too.

And yeah my point on online is it's not judgeable for real circumstances. Therefore, not useful in terms of arguement

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
To end all arguments any game is really crappy competitively (including smash and halo) except for starcraft =D.
But it's really unforgiving IMO. For example, to learn smash you need some mindgames, tech skill (and for Halo i guess reflexes and positioning?) but Starcraft you need macro, micro, etc. etc.

But in terms of overall competitiveness, starcraft does win. When SC2 comes out I'll play you. Get *****, son. I'll just need to learn better macro.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
But it's really unforgiving IMO. For example, to learn smash you need some mindgames, tech skill (and for Halo i guess reflexes and positioning?) but Starcraft you need macro, micro, etc. etc.

But in terms of overall competitiveness, starcraft does win. When SC2 comes out I'll play you. Get *****, son. I'll just need to learn better macro.
Also, I played a bit of SF4. I suck at ti lol.

Uhh.. double post I guess. I meant to edit but I guess I clicked Quote. harhar

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Well, lag does come into play in 95% of cases with online gaming. There are the odd games you can find where lag is so small (or nonexistent) that it doesn't affect the game, though. Typically they're with people in your city or not too far from it. I'd say 99% of games I play online SF4 are laggy (some worse than others), but there's this one guy I found in Vancouver and we can play with virtually no detectable lag. It's rare, but it does happen. I've found some good games playing GGPO 3rd Strike on my PC, too.

SF4 is pretty cool, I wish more people would play it. It's a bit slower and more methodical than past games, so if you're coming from a fast, almost twitch-level game like Melee you may not dig the more chess-like approach to it. That said, there are still a lot of matchups in that game that play very fast. BlazBlue is probably as fast paced as Melee (or more)... all Guilty Gear-like games are like that. Maybe there'll be something to like there. I also think BB will be very execution-heavy in a 2D fighter sense... so if you've never practiced traditional 2D fighter motions it may be tough to get into. Everyone starts somewhere, though!

After we have a week or two to practice up on BB, I'll bring my TE sticks, SF4, and BB to someone's house (or, they can come play on my HD setup). I'm willing to teach people how to play SF4 if anyone's interested. I couldn't win a California tournament, but I'm not too bad, and I play about 8 characters.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I still think online is still better than no online, I'm aware that it has its faults but it's really better than nothing. Just don't play too seriously online, I guess.

Reading all these posts on halo and how competitive it is makes me laugh.
Cause I'm really the only competitive halo player around here, Tyler just plays for fun.
I play competitively lol, just not every day...you even admitted yourself I'm better than you, and I think playing a few games where I did better than you in every single one kinda proves that. >_>

Btw, I heard StarCraft 2 isn't gonna have LAN or something. Sounds stupid if they're actually gonna do that.

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
I still think online is still better than no online, I'm aware that it has its faults but it's really better than nothing. Just don't play too seriously online, I guess.

I play competitively lol, just not every day...you even admitted yourself I'm better than you, and I think playing a few games where I did better than you in every single one kinda proves that. >_>

Btw, I heard StarCraft 2 isn't gonna have LAN or something. Sounds stupid if they're actually gonna do that.
lol i said your better cause i felt bad i went negative in team slayer XD

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe I actually read all these posts.

One point that Tyler made really bothered me though, and that is that one about Halo being more competitive than yadda yadda... That just screams ignorance. Don't pull out bull**** statistics in a debate, ever. Ever. Issue.

Also, Brad... you're too condescending.

Two thoughts on BreadOSHIII:

One. Would anyone mind if I moved it to Sunday AM?
Two. Would anyone mind if it were just a rather intense smashfest rather than a mini tourney? It's just I'm not really that big on organizing it if only say... 9 people are there. I'd definitely want 12+ at the very least.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

One point that Tyler made really bothered me though, and that is that one about Halo being more competitive than yadda yadda... That just screams ignorance. Don't pull out bull**** statistics in a debate, ever. Ever. Issue.

Two. Would anyone mind if it were just a rather intense smashfest rather than a mini tourney? It's just I'm not really that big on organizing it if only say... 9 people are there. I'd definitely want 12+ at the very least.
They weren't meant to be real statistics lol, I was just trying to make a point that there are more levels of skill in it than Smash.

As for the tourney, I would personally prefer Sunday but that's just me. I can't make Friday because of my Grandma's birthday. I'd also be in favor of it being a smashfest.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman

Sunday AM? **** yeah!
Intense Smashfest? **** yeah!

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
I'm back into SC, at least for the summer, so hit me up for some games guys.

I did not read all those posts, but it's nice to see Bread posting long individual posts opposed to quadruple posting single lines.

Pretty much every game that exists competitively is better offline, even if the online is ok, it's just better IRL. Halo is a great casual game online, but if you want to be competitive, go offline, for the love of god. We all know smash is best done in person, and really, every fighter needs to be done that way because how else are you supposed to man up and put $20s on top of the console? =)

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
I'm back into SC, at least for the summer, so hit me up for some games guys.

I did not read all those posts, but it's nice to see Bread posting long individual posts opposed to quadruple posting single lines.

Pretty much every game that exists competitively is better offline, even if the online is ok, it's just better IRL. Halo is a great casual game online, but if you want to be competitive, go offline, for the love of god. We all know smash is best done in person, and really, every fighter needs to be done that way because how else are you supposed to man up and put $20s on top of the console? =)
How good are you? I'm not that good but it'd be good to get better at SC since SC2 is coming soon.

Not to brag but my micro is pretty **** good (genetics of being Korean?) but my macro sucks. If a game goes on for a long time and I have a **** load of mins/gas I usually get bored :( I guess this is why I like DotA a lot

Also, Luke, did you beat Mogwai when you played him?

Top Bottom