• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alberta Brawl PR[{(()[{}{}}}{December 13th, 2011]BETTER THAN BC{}{})){))))((8======3

Frio

Smash Champion

EDIT: And to be honest updating after every monthly would be ********. If someone like willson misses one it'd mean he would go down for sure. Not to mention the whole choking at one tourney johns, blah blah blah.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
every two months seems to be the trend we're following now, and i think that's a pretty good pace.

let's get input from more people?
I agree with this completely, except I think it should be after every 2nd tournament. This usually means after every 2 months considering there's only 1 monthly a month (duh), but for occasions like ADAT or Apoc, it makes sense to update it after the 2nd tournament.

Updating it monthly is kinda dumb because somebody could just have a bad day / choke in a set or two at that one day and it'll affect their judgment for the rest of the month, which isn't legit. I understand that consistency means something in tourney placings, but EVERYONE has a bad day / bad matches, and it's not fair to label them as "inconsistent" unless they managed to do that in 2 tournaments in a row.

T-block

B2B TST
yeah tyler knows what's up

except i think you phrased the first part wrong. if we have a tournament like adat or apoc, and the monthly isn't cancelled, they're usually within a week of each other... we might as well wait until the second one finishes before we discuss any updates.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
okay, but wouldn't that make it 5 weeks then? which is more like a month.

idk, all I know is that it shouldn't be updated after every monthly. I don't think we really need to get super specific on when it needs to be updated; usually, we'll know or we'll have some feeling on when it needs to be updated.

T-block

B2B TST
^basically yeah

what i meant was it should be every 8 weeks, but stretched to 9 if there's a tournament on the 9th week.

why are we even discussing this - it should be pretty intuitive

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
as long as we're on some kind of schedule, then i'm happy lol

plus me and wilson spread word about the smash scene to a ton of people on the weekend so hype this **** hopefully some new faces from st.albert

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I think there should be an update after each tournament. If a person chokes, well then there's the next tournament to do good in. If you think about it, updating a pr once a month is not that difficult.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
And just remember they WERE there, just because they place 4th once, then 8th, doesn't mean you move them to 8th. (which I've seen on this, apparently placement latest is what matters most)

Limeee

Smash Champion
IMO (don't take this seriously)

1.Superboom
2.Alphicans
3. Killlock

but if jack stays with snake i could see him moving to 2nd

but dan is unstoppable

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
I'm from calgary, and just wondering... any calgarians up the the power ranking? If not i shall get up there someday. ^.^. hopefully... maybe.. probally not... but Who knows :D:D:D

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
wtf

Okay, to actually answer your question, everybody on the Brawl power ranking lives in the Edmonton area. There are very few Brawl players in Calgary, but there are a few from Lethbridge. One of them (Age) was 10th on the PR a while back.

:005:

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Hansel, I could be, and theres a few others, but we don't really care about brawl.

You like Melee? Theres an event being held in november

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
lol brawl.

edit: Psst, I might start hosting brawl/melee occasionally, but nothing more than what Sid's ever done.

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
Yeh, I heard there was this Pit guy that was going to host a brawl tourney in calgary.. It never happened.

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
just an opinion here, but why not make your brawl power rankings even greater by adding melee players to it

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
... ... ... what. LMAO

On a serious note though, I think how the Power Ranking goes needs to be changed. It should be updated after every tournament. And not just on how you place in a tournament, but on who you play against. Tourney Placings are Tourney Placings, but you could get an easy go in comparison to others as you place higher and higher. If you're actually ranking a player based on their skill, it should be based on who they play against, who they beat/almost beat and how they progress. It needs to be a combination of those two to get a far more accurate understanding of the rankings. Placing high often usually means you beat someone good, but there's times where you could dodge the bullet, and in turn get an unfair placing upward on the list.

This wait every two tournament things and being lazy about it is kind of....to be put bluntly, ridiculous.

One of you may try and counter me by telling me that you already do this, but it seems that if you are? You guys aren't doing enough of it. More analysis on who you play and who you beat in tournaments, even money matches or friendlies within a "serious" mindset since it's not uncommon for players to have those bouts with one another. There's so much potential in the matches seen and played in Money Matches and Friendlies to better analyze the community and how one performs or not. Couple all of that with the tournament matches and higher profile ones as you climb higher and higher, and you've got yourself more involvement in the community.

Let's take this for example. Say that I was 5th on the Power Ranking. Decent placings, never left top 10, beat some good people along the way but usually placing 5th/6th/7th. Now don't take these numbers into account because I know I'm usually 9th or 7th. One time I tied for 5th with T-Block realistically. But taking that example, say that T-Block was beneath me at 6th on the Power Ranking. Whether he played lesser people then me or not, and he places just as well as me or not, here's a thought.

How do we KNOW if I'm better than T-Block or not? I'm 5th, he's 6th, we place respectfully well, but we never fought one another in a bracket match. If all we depend on JUST tournament brackets/placings, but we end up never playing one another, we'd never know who was really better, and thus there's a possibility of the Power Rankings being slightly inaccurate if he wound up being better than me.

/example

That's why I think we need to take into consideration,

1.) Updating the Power Ranking every tournament
2.) Using personal matches at a tournament (Friendly, Money Match, Etc.) to help analyze more of the community as a whole; this can give more insight on everyone and who ranks where truthfully if they never get a chance to face one another in a tourney bracket.
3.) In Friendlies, it can be taken into factor that you don't try as hard as a tourney match. Nonetheless, in every match to some degree, you ARE trying.

Disagree with me or not, but to get the Brawl Power Rankings more noticable and to be taken more seriously, I think at the very least, something has to change.

/waits for someone to go "lol brandon ur dum"

aish

Smash Journeyman
imo it should be on average and you shouldn't be on there if you got 5th place once or twice compared to someone who placed 5th maybe five times.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Friendlies should never be taken into account for a PR. You're nuts. No one tries their hardest in friendlies. The same could be said about money matches. I know people that sandbag in money matches to give them the edge in brackets afterwards.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I DID say that it was only an example, Vivi. Like a what-if. :\

& Zeriph, it's only just a thought. I think rankings should be based on who you beat. Not just tourney placings. If anything, a mixture of both. Sure it's hard to satisfy everyone, but in the end, it IS just a thought.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I do? Others in the community do?

I'd like to see more activity in the power ranking. The more productive the ranking, the higher the competitive nature is in the community.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
More people don't want updates after every tournament than people who do. That is why it's after every 2 events. It gives more to work with rather than looking back at old tournaments and trying to make a PR off of old results.

Frio

Smash Champion
Most of us don't even care. I can only think of Dan and Brandon (Maybe Jack?) who really want it to be updated monthly.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
How hard is it to take five seconds out of your day to update a Power Ranking after an event? Or rather discuss how the latest tournament went with other panelists or more active people in the community? It's not more to work with. It's just being attentive and up to snuff with what's going on after every get-together where it's clear that things change every single time.

[EDIT]

Yeah, and Dan & Jack (and Luke but his opinion differs) are the best three players in Alberta. Their positions are secured in tournaments and power rankings if they keep up their skill like this yet they STILL want updates just to see more activity and more flow for anyone lower in the ranks. They shouldn't have to care because of how they perform and place, yet they still do.

It wouldn't hurt to try updating the rankings after every tournament if there's clear signs of changes in players and in how they play and place.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Don't get pissy at me, Luke. I'm just throwing in my say. :\

It didn't take us long to come up with the first rankings when we first began to work with everything. It's not bull so much as it is just an excuse not to have to slave over a ranking list every time a tournament comes along. Sometimes talent can get lost in the times and if we update every two tournaments and forget about the last one because the latest one is fresh in our minds...it's even harder to assess how someone performs at ONE tournament but then how he performs at the next one. You gotta take how someone does at both tournaments in a single go of placing them on a list. That's twice the analysis rather then discussing how they do here in the now at just one event.

That's not harder. That's being current and up to speed.

Top Bottom