• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I don't know you, but I figured you'd like to be welcomed back regardless.
Quite right, quite right. WB!

Rob, I think we may have a problem.
http://www.theslanket.com/

From the website:
Besides creating a product to make people comfortable and warm, our life goals are not to accumulate mansions, SUV's, expensive watches and closets just for shoes. What we want in life is to travel the world and experience all its cultures while representing humanity positively. Whether surfing in Costa Rica, snowboarding in Austria, or studying language in South America and China, we love to spread our sleeves and let them flap in the wind, giving back in the process. BUT... there is nothing like coming home, wrapping up in THE SLANKET on your own couch and feeling the warmth of your friends and family.
If that's not a cult, then I don't know what is.

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever played the Fast mode Special Brawl before? Yesterday I headed home to have a small brawl party with some friends. We decided to put it on Fast Mode for no reason, and three hours later got really used to it. We were having 3man FFAs and 1v1 matches back to back. It was a ton of fun, and made us play our characters completely differently. Sonic was unstoppable, I could 3 stock just about any character with him and make them look like fools for trying to fight it.
Anyways, after all that we took a short break and went back into normal. I can see why people complain about Brawl being too slow, normal mode was PAINFUL. We were going nuts trying to do anything the character animations were so sluggish, does Ike's smash attack last like 10 seconds? In the end, I think we're probably going to play it on Fast Mode a lot lot more often, it's really rewarding for fast reflexes and precision in a way normal Brawl couldn't dream of doing.
You guys should try it out for a couple hours, you might be surprised. I think I have more fun on Fast than Normal now no matter who I used.
wow i thought i was the only one that tried that......i even thought about hosting a speed tournament under that condition................it really is fun

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Have you guys ever played the Fast mode Special Brawl before? Yesterday I headed home to have a small brawl party with some friends. We decided to put it on Fast Mode for no reason, and three hours later got really used to it. We were having 3man FFAs and 1v1 matches back to back. It was a ton of fun, and made us play our characters completely differently. Sonic was unstoppable, I could 3 stock just about any character with him and make them look like fools for trying to fight it.
Anyways, after all that we took a short break and went back into normal. I can see why people complain about Brawl being too slow, normal mode was PAINFUL. We were going nuts trying to do anything the character animations were so sluggish, does Ike's smash attack last like 10 seconds? In the end, I think we're probably going to play it on Fast Mode a lot lot more often, it's really rewarding for fast reflexes and precision in a way normal Brawl couldn't dream of doing.
You guys should try it out for a couple hours, you might be surprised. I think I have more fun on Fast than Normal now no matter who I used.
wow i thought i was the only one that tried that......i even thought about hosting a speed tournament under that condition................it really is fun
Don't let go of that idea, I think it has potential. Playing on fast mode feels very nice, and I think a tourny could get a lot of attention.

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
Don't let go of that idea, I think it has potential. Playing on fast mode feels very nice, and I think a tourny could get a lot of attention.
It's official
once i get the details straightened out and other things...i will host a speed brawl tournament, if my first choice place works out, then the tournament will be in Sylacauga (in Talladega County)

i shall call it "And you say Brawl is too slow?"
no lie i'm really gonna do this, just dont know when though

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I seriously understood why people complained about Brawl being too slow after I went back to normal. It felt like every animation had to last at least 5 seconds, it was crazy!

Hmmm I think I just repeated my self...

Oh well, cherries and pineapples.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Very kool. So a tournament will be happening here again, we just dont know the date yet. We already plan on doing Brawl, Melee, Tekken 5 or 6 ( either one ), SF4, Guilty Gear ( maybe ), Arcana Hearts, ( more to come ).

Please give us some idea's for more games XD.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Very kool. So a tournament will be happening here again, we just dont know the date yet. We already plan on doing Brawl, Melee, Tekken 5 or 6 ( either one ), SF4, Guilty Gear ( maybe ), Arcana Hearts, ( more to come ).

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Please.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How can I get this game? You can be Megaman Volnutt and Viewtiful Joe for ****'s sake!
Well, you can get a burned copy by looking for the ISO and simply burning it. You can run it via the Twilight Princess hack.

moogle

Smash Ace
Tipped Off 4 attendees from Huntsville: me, joot, and saintrage (and maybe coach?)... any more?

Mr. Cheap Peach, we should be able to pick you up. Ummm.. would it be possible for us to stay Friday night in Birmingham with you? Or somewhere in Birmingham? Or we could just go to Atlanta Friday night. Also, I don't know where we'd stay in Atlanta for Saturday night... maybe SleepyK will see this post and magically solve our problems.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4. Please.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Tipped Off 4 attendees from Huntsville: me, joot, and saintrage (and maybe coach?)... any more?

Mr. Cheap Peach, we should be able to pick you up. Ummm.. would it be possible for us to stay Friday night in Birmingham with you? Or somewhere in Birmingham? Or we could just go to Atlanta Friday night. Also, I don't know where we'd stay in Atlanta for Saturday night... maybe SleepyK will see this post and magically solve our problems.
I'll know by Wednesday if I'll be able to go. My parents think there is a high probability that I will die if I leave their field of vision, so I might can not.

And if I can go, its unlikely that I can give more than 2 people a place to stay. Its already a stretch for me just going, but I'll see if I can get you guys a place.

Regardless, you guys are welcome to smash at my place whether I go or not.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

lets hook the ds up to a TV and play cooking mamma? :]
all day baby!

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Please.
I dont think either of us will be willing to order the game or download it so the only way we could do it is if someone brings a copy =/.

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4. Please.
This is more do-able, I'll talk to the other guys and see what they think.

lets hook the ds up to a TV and play cooking mamma? :]
all day baby!
Hahaha... fun times are sure to be had. See who can crack the fastest egg without getting shell in the bowl XD.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
George, if you still check the boards, i think this match would make you very happy :D

Seriously this was an awesome brawl match. So much of the unexpected happened 0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_j6nRZt32U&feature=related
I saw it back in November. It's one of the better matches on YouTube, though.
I dont think either of us will be willing to order the game or download it so the only way we could do it is if someone brings a copy =/.
If I end up going to this tournament, I'd be able to supply my copy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have the ISO on my computer. If you have a couple Wiis with the Twilight hack and can get me a couple of DVD-R discs, I can burn the games on my laptop.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
If I end up going to this tournament, I'd be able to supply my copy.
Awesome, were not sure about what time we plan on doing this tournament. Prob in February sometime i guess. Thats what there both talking about.

I have the ISO on my computer. If you have a couple Wiis with the Twilight hack and can get me a couple of DVD-R discs, I can burn the games on my laptop.
I'll see what i can do about the Twilight Princess hack.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
im ready to go to a brawl tournament.

i tried out fast brawl just for kicks, and it is pretty fun. im not sure if its more competitive though. moves with little lag become ******** good, and moves with a lot of lag now have little lag and increase the effectiveness fo the move.
like dededes bair is like unstoppable in fast brawl because even when you land with it, all the landing lag is gone now and i imagine most people dont have the reflexes to counter in time
at any rate, i dont think it makes the game better, it just makes it faster. which might be entertaning, but then again playing ffas on spear pillar with items on high is entertaining as well
and yeah regular brawl feels mad slow after you play fast brawl for a while, but thats just cuz youre used to it. I used to think guilty gear was the fastest fighting game ever, then i got into melee, now gg feels slow as ****

coach

Smash Apprentice
P.S. tom lives in birmingham currently andy. I'm also pretty against staying at the venue if i go at all. we would probably only have to house 1 night somewhere there because we could just drive back to bham sunday night and hopefully crash on toms floor. it's being presumptuous, but i dont know. talk to me about it.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i tried out fast brawl just for kicks, and it is pretty fun. im not sure if its more competitive though. moves with little lag become ******** good, and moves with a lot of lag now have little lag and increase the effectiveness fo the move.
like dededes bair is like unstoppable in fast brawl because even when you land with it, all the landing lag is gone now and i imagine most people dont have the reflexes to counter in time
at any rate, i dont think it makes the game better, it just makes it faster. which might be entertaning, but then again playing ffas on spear pillar with items on high is entertaining as well
and yeah regular brawl feels mad slow after you play fast brawl for a while, but thats just cuz youre used to it. I used to think guilty gear was the fastest fighting game ever, then i got into melee, now gg feels slow as ****
Fast Brawl isn't competitive, therefore it's worse for tournament play? That's quite a non-sequitir, the fun of a game can be much more significant. What definition of competitive are you working from anyway?

If it's funner, then i would pick it over slow for a tournament anyday. Mario Kart-level competitive is not acceptable, i'll agree, but i'll take a slight decrease in competitiveness for more fun easily.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
potempkin is who is use. so i cant really say im realy a FAASSt gg player.
i love gg though

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
<.< I wanna go to Tipped off ;__;

Too bad my parents wouldn't allow strangers just to randomly crash at my house and take me to ATL for a day or 2 :(

And I has Homebrew too

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
GG is it's own kind of sexy awesome speed.

But really, dont be so quick to judge if it's competitive or not. It's simply faster, like you said. Because it's faster, it really shouldn't make any character better, it should just exploit the strengths and weaknesses of players in more profound or perhaps even different ways.
I promise you though, there pretty much is nothing in the game that can't be punished by Sonic's running grab, and fast mode further pushes this fact and many other ideas as well. The more you play Fast Mode, the more your reflexes will shine through and next thing you know you can catch your opponent by surprise just about infinitely if there's any kind of skill gap.
Short story, skill makes up for more in Fast Mode than in regular brawl, why would this be a bad thing?

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I seriously doubt I ever said that...

Character's are the same, players have to play better, that's all there is to it.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
So a friend of mine found something substantial at work the other day.

A twilight princess script.

Here is an excerpt (page 42)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Fast Brawl isn't competitive, therefore it's worse for tournament play? That's quite a non-sequitir, the fun of a game can be much more significant. What definition of competitive are you working from anyway?

If it's funner, then i would pick it over slow for a tournament anyday. Mario Kart-level competitive is not acceptable, i'll agree, but i'll take a slight decrease in competitiveness for more fun easily.
well to each his own i guess
i refuse to pay money to enter a tournament for a game that's not competitive.
defeats the purpose of a "competition".

Competition is way more important than "fun" in a tournament.
The idea of a tournament is to create a situation in which, in any and all cases, the player with the most skill at the game wins. This is the number one rule that presides over everything else, including "fun".
Infinite dimensional caping is fun, and wobbling was fun, but they were taken out of competitive play because they distracted from the competition.
I mean, this is all given that you like your tournaments to be fair.

if a game has to be 'slightly less competitive' in order for it to be fun enough to play, its probably not worth playing in tournaments to begin with, imo.
But Brawl is lots of fun for me as it is...and I never said fast brawl was "more fun" anyway. it's just a different experience.

@ kalm, i could probably beat most people in fast brawl by doing nothing but dedede's bair the whole match. That's not competitive.

Top Bottom