• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

saintrage

Smash Cadet
That tournament was a blast, especially the drive home, >.< that car ride was full of laughs.

I also took a stock off M2K, we were doing a shiek ditto and he thought i'd rise off the ledge and i didn't so he killed himself ^.^. Other than that i did pretty poorly. I beat one guy who played pikachu, but he really wasn't THAT good, just not to good with mind games. I'm picking up shiek a lot better now, she isn't that hard to learn, but still i felt like i learned a lot at the tourny. Where do i go for the shout outs?

T1J: Where is Waba?

Majist

Smash Journeyman
results thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174894

p.s. Shannon, I got your AC outlet car adapter thingie.
Actually, that belongs to Eric. i ended up not using my laptop at all the entire trip, haha.

i had waaaaaaay too much fun in GA. some of you know what i mean ;P

And yes, that ride home was terribly hilarious. and i do mean TERRIBLY. srsly, how long did we allow Will to talk about soldier ants?? Seriously!! After some of "those" jokes, i don't think i've ever heard j00t laugh that hard ever. good gawd.

Andy, i promise i'll give better directions next time:grin:

so there's this penguin, right? ....

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
effing soldier ants

Here's the story I tried to tell in the car:

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html

Ten miles long, two miles wide--ants, nothing but ants! And every single one of them a fiend from hell; before you can spit three times they'll eat a full-grown buffalo to the bones.
It had strayed near the zone of the army. As usual, they had attacked its eyes first. Blinded, it had reeled in the madness of hideous torment straight into the ranks of its persecutors, and now the beast swayed to and fro in its death agony.

CahPhoenix

Smash Journeyman
gah, andy why didn't you make it out of pools?

Also, that was fun playing smash again. You might see me more so tell me if you guys play.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Good games tonight, SunRise. i really wish i'd recorded some of the longer ones, too. did you ever find a good counter for G&W? i'm assuming it's Ike, since I got to play against him tonight.

welcome back, those who went to the GA tournament. i expect a full briefing.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
So, guys, I encountered a really strange thing this evening while Barwling. It had something to do with Jigglypuff's Sing and Yoshi's shield but one or the other might not be necessary. I was doing edge-canceled sings for the hell of it when my friend tried to shield it or roll away or something. And he pretty much super wavedashes all the way across the stage, although he does fall asleep in the process. I'll try to get a video of it if possible, but it's on his Wii.

Anyway, the tournament went like me losing all my matches. My Kirby did surprise a few people, though. I came close to winning one or two. Green Mario and Xelic are too good.

Oh, and it's fun playing 64.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
The tournament was pretty much just a tournament. Lotsa big names and what-have-you. There was also cake once, but it was gone by the time I got there. (The cake was a lie)

I forced myself to play in singles. I know if I didn't, then I would regret it. Although now, I regret my missing $20. I went straight 0-2 in my pool! But it was fun either way. I'd do it again in an instant... maybe sooner if it were a brawl tourny, though.

And yes, I did cosplay as Ness again. This time, it was the two new brawl costumes. I can't say why I did it. Maybe it was to give all of these devout melee players a reason to take a second look at brawl. There's still some good stuff to be seen in brawl... even if it isn't gameplay related D:

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Good games tonight, SunRise. i really wish i'd recorded some of the longer ones, too. did you ever find a good counter for G&W? i'm assuming it's Ike, since I got to play against him tonight.

welcome back, those who went to the GA tournament. i expect a full briefing.
and you shall have it. my god, what a freaking awesome weekend. i really wish you could have come with us

Majist

Smash Journeyman
And yes, I did cosplay as Ness again. This time, it was the two new brawl costumes. I can't say why I did it. Maybe it was to give all of these devout melee players a reason to take a second look at brawl. There's still some good stuff to be seen in brawl... even if it isn't gameplay related D:
lol, it took me what, 4 hours to realize you were dressed as Ness?:laugh: i'm so good like that

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
guys I figured it out.
Reasons why I'm not great at melee:
i have no tech skill
I tech and DI predictably

Reasons why I'm decent at Brawl:
You don't have to have tech skill
You rarely have to tech anything and DI is easy

techs are my kryptonite. I think I do the thinking part of smash okay, its just the actually pressing of the buttons that mess me up.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and it's fun playing 64.
64 smashers? Where?:bee: Hey guys I don't write on here much (as you can see by my posts), but I'm just letting yall know I'm hanging around Tuscaloosa this summer and I'm eager to get some tourny action. I'm always up for some smashing of any kind (64's my best though sadly) so just lemme know whats up. I'll try to stay in the loop :lick:

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Ok ill say it.... Florence Smash is dead. I'm done and my friend who's moving back is pretty much done aswell. Everyone that shows there face around here quits after me or my friend plays them so forget it. I'm ganna unregister my name from the website cause i feel no need to come back here. If i cant unregister then i just wont post on here anymore.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
guys I figured it out.
Reasons why I'm not great at melee:
i have no tech skill
I tech and DI predictably

Reasons why I'm decent at Brawl:
You don't have to have tech skill
You rarely have to tech anything and DI is easy

techs are my kryptonite. I think I do the thinking part of smash okay, its just the actually pressing of the buttons that mess me up.
I figured out that one of my big problems is that I'm pretty much always DIing up. It's not so amazing. If I DIed away from some stuff and so forth, I might be less of a training dummy.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I have zero tech skill at melee.

Zeeeeerroooooooo

L-cancel? Whut
Short hop? Mebe
Wavedash? elle oh elle what

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hello Alabamians. Fun Tournament...I figured out why I'm bad at Melee as well. I get nervous and scrub out in my tourney matches. That Jigglypuff player in my pools uthrow-rested me like three times. Apparently I can't remember to DI because I'm too busy scrubbing out. That **** never happens when I'm playing 3GOD or NES n00b's Jigglypuff. I counterpicked him to Green Greens and he camped the sides and backthrew => edgeguarded me at least twice. I don't think that's a good Jigglypuff counterpick after all. I counterpicked SleepyK's Falco on Corneria and he camped the fin and I kept going down there like a moron. Ugh. So disappointing.

Hey Duchock did you notice in our pool that certain people played ALL their matches at once so they could stay constantly warmed up? Every match I lost was against someone warmed up while I was coming in cold. I'm not saying I would have beaten them otherwise but it sure as hell didn't help.

Man I'm so good at Johns.

Ragnarock WHERE WERE YOU!?

ragnarock

Smash Lord
MY bad I wasn't able to come man, money problems. Because i would have rep AL to the fullest. BUt you are good at smash Shai Hulud and I like your fox. You just a little rough on the edges, thats all. You coming to THe Al tourney, I'll be there.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Hey Duchock did you notice in our pool that certain people played ALL their matches at once so they could stay constantly warmed up?
Yep. It was Soft, I think. He was kinda being a jerk about everything too, but he did keep the pools going quickly after he finished his matches. I think there was another guy too, but I don't remember his name. But really, I hate it when people do that. If not for the warm-up deal, then for sheer courtesy.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Yep. It was Soft, I think. He was kinda being a jerk about everything too, but he did keep the pools going quickly after he finished his matches. I think there was another guy too, but I don't remember his name. But really, I hate it when people do that. If not for the warm-up deal, then for sheer courtesy.
I agree with that 100%..

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I figured out that one of my big problems is that I'm pretty much always DIing up. It's not so amazing. If I DIed away from some stuff and so forth, I might be less of a training dummy.

I've gotten a lot better at DI. I used to not DI at all, and it really really does help you not die. but I still think i'm too predictable, my main problem is predictable teching, like if I play people who are good at prediction and tech chasing (like moogle, and nes noob) I barely get to do anything because I get comboed across the stage

and there are some char. specific DI's that I forget/don't know...like usually you DI away, but certain things like ganon's d-throw if you DI away, it puts like right in front of his face. theres all kinds of things like that that I forget about.

Once I learn how to combo, how to gimp, and how to not get 0-deathed by nes noob and moogle, i'll be good.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
The other one doing it was Nite. When Nite made it to the second round of pools, he went off and played friendlies on the one TV that wasn't being used for pools (he actually asked me to get off the TV, as I was using it) for over an hour, then went to his pools and played all his matches at once. A lot of people who are good or who just think they are good do the same kind of thing. I remember at G4S4 Gawes was in my pool and he did the same thing. That **** pisses me off. Some people are just so arrogant.

Ragnarock what AL tournament are you talking about?

moogle

Smash Ace
gah, andy why didn't you make it out of pools?

Also, that was fun playing smash again. You might see me more so tell me if you guys play.
I'm bad when it comes to speed and tech skill. :(

And... Saturday seems to be our most common smash day now. I'll call/IM ya next time we play.

Agreed. It was wonderful, learning the nuances of Smash 64.
fair->grab->jump->fthrow->double jump->donkey punch!

Waba. Is anyone going to it?

I need to know.
Probably.

Did anybody make it out of pools to brackets
No one from Alabama did. :( Joot, Mslano, Reflex, and I made it to 2nd round of pools though.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I have zero tech skill at melee.

Zeeeeerroooooooo

L-cancel? Whut
Short hop? Mebe
Wavedash? elle oh elle what
well i can do those moves lulz. but you play jiggs, who requires no tech skill hehh

but I whiff jump cancled grabs ALL THE TIME...which screws me up big time. people spot dodge my laggy grabs all the time. maybe i should wavedash grab instead

and i don't think i've ever done a frame-perfect wavedash in my entire smash career. but that's not a big deal.

I can drill-waveshine-upsmash/grab with fox though. That's my only tech accomplishment.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Hello Alabamians. Fun Tournament...I figured out why I'm bad at Melee as well. I get nervous and scrub out in my tourney matches. That Jigglypuff player in my pools uthrow-rested me like three times. Apparently I can't remember to DI because I'm too busy scrubbing out. That **** never happens when I'm playing 3GOD or NES n00b's Jigglypuff. I counterpicked him to Green Greens and he camped the sides and backthrew => edgeguarded me at least twice. I don't think that's a good Jigglypuff counterpick after all. I counterpicked SleepyK's Falco on Corneria and he camped the fin and I kept going down there like a moron. Ugh. So disappointing.

Hey Duchock did you notice in our pool that certain people played ALL their matches at once so they could stay constantly warmed up? Every match I lost was against someone warmed up while I was coming in cold. I'm not saying I would have beaten them otherwise but it sure as hell didn't help.

Man I'm so good at Johns.

Ragnarock WHERE WERE YOU!?
I used to have a problem with getting nervous, and Chad and Reflex both advised me that I should just chill out and be confident and have fun, and I think i succeeded in doing that at this tournament, and performed decently. I think I had one of the easier pools, but there were just too many good people, i probably wouldn't have made it out of any pool. I had DoH, M2k, and Boomstick, and tbag...all of whom are really good.

lol @ Nes Noob's Jigglypuff.

hungrybox got screamed at in the face for ****** a fox on Green Greens :-P

random P.S.
i think i would main sheik if her dash dance wasn't so short. I just can't deal with that guys. I lost to a not-so-good Pikachu with Sheik because I can't control the *****
lost to a pika with sheik! (switched to fox and two stocked him twice)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I think that must have been Eggz. I saw them playing on Green Greens and Eggz lost but I didn't see/hear the screaming, I must have wandered off before that happened. Eggz assumed the South sucked at Smash so he challenged "randoms" (his words) to money matches with Bowser. NES n00b and I both won our money matches, and Eggz lost brackets matches to the South as well (PikaChad and HungryBox). He must have been pretty pissed.

You don't need to DD with Sheik but you can extend her DD by Foxtrotting instead.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
The south is ok at smash, but i feel that we have more potiential than people give us credit for. Its just the skill level of the states of the south is so off balance.

Sariku

Smash Master
Alright, we'll I do have good news. A thread will be up today on what will be going on, but we have a few dates in mind.

The beginning of August at the earliest, which would be August 1-2 and August 8-9. We may have a place to hold it at, and if so, it will be a two day tournament. GameStop has not got back to us whether they will sponsor it or not, but the place will be free to use all weekend. The catch to that is some of the money will go to the D'Iberville Special Needs Soccer Team, set up for disabled and handicapped kids to play soccer and have fun. It will be a two day tournament, the first being Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the second being Melee. You will be able to sleep inside the place all night, and there are restaurants such as Taco Bell, Hooters, Applebees, Outback, Beef O' Bradees, and a few other places close by to the location of the tournament. We will have a Brawl Singles and Doubles and a Melee singles and doubles, each costing 10 dollars to enter. Prizes will consist of the entry fees and possibly others such as gift cards to Wal-Mart and GameStop, and possibly a new 32" TV. The better prizes will be in the tournament the most people express interest in, so weather it be Brawl or Melee, we do not know.

If you have any questions or concerns, you may post it here. We know it's a long way from most Mississippi Smashers, but assuming the prizes are good I don't think that it should matter that much. If most of you want Melee, then we will make the Melee Tournaments the ones worth the prizes. Just tell me what you guys want, as I hope all of you up north will want to come down here and meet the few smashers, like myself, secluded from everyone who is really playing the game. I will have the thread up, but also invite people yourself. People in the Melee scene don't know me nearly as well as they probably know all of you guys, so please help make this a successful tournament.

Thanks.

This was originally posted in the MS Thread.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think that must have been Eggz. I saw them playing on Green Greens and Eggz lost but I didn't see/hear the screaming, I must have wandered off before that happened. Eggz assumed the South sucked at Smash so he challenged "randoms" (his words) to money matches with Bowser. NES n00b and I both won our money matches, and Eggz lost brackets matches to the South as well (PikaChad and HungryBox). He must have been pretty pissed.

You don't need to DD with Sheik but you can extend her DD by Foxtrotting instead.
nah it wasn't eggz. it was Unknown from canada. big black guy.
he gets in hungry's face and screams **** YOU JIGGLY PUFF after getting gimped like 3 times in a row.

lol @ eggz what a dork.

how do you play sheik without dash dancing, seems like the only way to space her grabs and shiz

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I need to move the hell out of Ozark, I'm out of the way for everything, even Arby's!

*pout*

And my job sucks, who wants to trade places?
well i can do those moves lulz. but you play jiggs, who requires no tech skill hehh

but I whiff jump cancled grabs ALL THE TIME...which screws me up big time. people spot dodge my laggy grabs all the time. maybe i should wavedash grab instead

and i don't think i've ever done a frame-perfect wavedash in my entire smash career. but that's not a big deal.

I can drill-waveshine-upsmash/grab with fox though. That's my only tech accomplishment.
I was doing pretty good with Link on saturday as I took on random Alabamians.

Top Bottom