• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
On April 4-5 is ChargerCon in Huntsville, and there will be Brawl/PM/Melee. I'll probably have more details in the next week or two.
Are you sure about Brawl and PM? To the best of my knowledge last Chargercon had no Brawl, because no one ran it.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
On April 4-5 is ChargerCon in Huntsville, and there will be Brawl/PM/Melee. I'll probably have more details in the next week or two.
@ moogle moogle - when you do get more details, please post the link to the event in the Louisiana Thread and I'll add it to the OP. I'll try to encourage to get people to get a carpool together.

moogle

Smash Ace
Are you sure about Brawl and PM? To the best of my knowledge last Chargercon had no Brawl, because no one ran it.
Yup, Spade is running Brawl and PM, and I'll run Melee. I think it'll be singles-only for all events (no teams), but we'll see.
@ moogle moogle - when you do get more details, please post the link to the event in the Louisiana Thread and I'll add it to the OP. I'll try to encourage to get people to get a carpool together.
Will do... thanks!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I plan on making it to this nad hopefully I'll get a friend or two to come. If any of you irregular guys come, I will see that I have a 1v6 crew battle against you guys in P:M. Throwing my pride on the line.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
;P It's fairly evident with Mahg's constant snapchats that Huntsville is rebuilding it's smashscene and has grabbed a hand full of new players. Now if they have cars for carpooling is the question. If anything could be worked out you'll be looking at......10 players at least.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
10 people for the whole city would be optimistic. Realistic but optimistic. There's a lot of people playing smash but you always have to divide by 3 or so to get actual bodies sent in cars, some people will be sick, some will be broke, some will be working, some won't be feeling it.

I might be amongst those not feeling it, I'm having a hard time getting any volume quality practice in at P:M and that was the only smash game that rekindled my interest. Can't pull my roommate off of League enough, melee people don't want to play it, and the casual sessions that happen here are rarely conducive to actually practicing and getting better for various reasons. Was hopeful about having a new game to fill the competitive void league left, but I might have to find something else.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Eh can't magically rekindle interests in others, but I felt the community itself is what gave those the drive to keep playing. You've got some coming on to home turf soon, so why not return the favor and play with them a bit at their turf as well? Granted this is if a carpool option is available, if it ends up being a 2 man drive that hurts you more financially than any amount of fun can repay then by no means would I recommend going.

:V I really want to play Smash

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
If I'm not already in basic and can arrange carpool plans I'd love to, esp if I can sit down and get hours of friendlies in.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
So I know there has been COUNTLESS discussions on not letting smash be the only reason for you choosing an area, but since I'll be stationed soonish for military I'd like to have some nifty ideas on where would be best if Alabooma isn't an option. I'm fairly keen on Virginia or Florida myself since most of my choices are EC states and those aren't too far from home.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think Smash is a decent factor for choosing an area.

I was in Florida for a while, it has some pretty damn good players there. They tier whored a lot, which I found preferable (and is probably a symptom of a strong overall scene).

Handorin

Smash Hero
Virginia and the area, I think, have more quality players. Traveling will also be much easier. Florida is huge, so going to any tournaments will take hours and hours to drive to.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
True, Florida is a large state but itd have that attractions and no snow factor but keeep gross muggy humid summer. I do like the idea of super stacked MDVA scene and being close to a lot of Regional/National sized events so thats seeming a whole lot more favorable.

Edit: Got my shipment date for training. I'll be gone from April 29th till September 30th and stationed in Missouri until graduation. Then I'm free to choose any available states for living and being on standby (granted I'll have to work and afford an apt if it's not "home" but eyy I'm all for that.).

So until then, if anyone is ever passing through Hoover or Trussvile to get to a tournament (That isn't on the first weekend of month due to Mandatory Drill) I'd be down for tagging along. :'D I'll have gas money for sure.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Virginia and the area, I think, have more quality players. Traveling will also be much easier. Florida is huge, so going to any tournaments will take hours and hours to drive to.
Well, obviously you're not going to get better population density than boswash, that's just math.

But smash Florida is not quite as big as Florida florida, because north Florida has little to no players, smashers are all central florida or south florida. So it's not like you could move to Miami and be missing out on loads of Tallahassee tournaments, those are a rarity.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Well, obviously you're not going to get better population density than boswash, that's just math.

But smash Florida is not quite as big as Florida florida, because north Florida has little to no players, smashers are all central florida or south florida. So it's not like you could move to Miami and be missing out on loads of Tallahassee tournaments, those are a rarity.
Not trying to argue, just wanting to provide info

Handorin

Smash Hero
I meant more so OOS tournaments, but really that means Atlanta or maybe southern Alabama. I'm not sure how many tournaments are in south AL

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You should play with them again~ They're actively playing in the student room again AND hosting a tournament next month. There may be a carpool coming down there on the 29th for the Auburn tournament if you'd like to attend a tournament here soon.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sup guys
i don't play much smash currently, except for messing around with project m but i'm kinda pumped for smash 4 and i hope to play with yall dudes when it arrives
whats new?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't get enough time to myself these days, unfortunately. If it were just normal work I'd be good, but I've been putting together these lectures for a research project that now happen on Tuesday for the next five Tuesdays. I'm making them from scratch and it's pretty stressful.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
My schedule has been opened up a bit due to my ship date being definite. So I've just been coasting out every day trying new games and watching some nice quality Melee matches. But yeah looking forward to playing with you again Janitor when the new game releases and when I get back from my 20 weeks of Military Training.

Top Bottom