• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

*Cam*

Smash Lord
If you want, Levi, we can hold a vote for MK legality for the next AUSOM. We aren't really in a position to tell the rest of the TOs what to do with their tournaments though.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i dont think mk is moreso about reaction than reading. i dont think any character in particualr is. ive always thought to play off of reaction first, and then you start to see the reads you can make. idk. in my humble opinion its not strictly you either do one or the other.

Levi, if youre the TO, just make the decision you want to. Re-pave the waaaayy!!!! I understand if attendance is a worry though. its why i didnt exactly hop on and start hosting my own legal tournaments.

But regardless, Blindspot im still gonna hit you up, its just im with my Fam for the Thanksgiving holidays and stuff.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
@John: Who could we ask to hold a vote for Ausom....Me and you that's about it,and you do more work for Ausom now than I do anyways, I was gonna suggest having the next Ausom be MK legal anyways

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Yeah, it is up to the TOs. I'm suggesting that Levi and I take a poll to decide whether he will be banned for AUSOM. We can't speak for the other tournaments.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
...and even worse many people say they wouldn't even show up to a tournament if he was allowed...
Were, Levi, not was.
Contrary to fact conditional.
C'mon, someone has to know advanced grammar concepts besides myself.

Also, Ryker, I think Peach's is aight.
It's neither as good as the rest of the cast's nor as bad as the two i said though.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Were, Levi, not was.

It's neither as good as the rest of the cast's nor as bad as the two i said though.
Well, I'm a technical writing major, so I did know that.

However, the rule you referred to sucks, and we should get rid of it. Why should "to be" get special status in the subjunctive form when no other verb in the English language does?

EDIT: Other rules we need to dismiss include the following: not using a colon directly after a verb, not splitting an infinitive, and not ending a sentence with a preposition.

EDIT 2: But if I catch any of you punks using on accident rather than by accident, then **** is going to hit the fan.

EDIT 3: Saint, how many tenses are there in English?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Why don't we just hold another vote for MK instead of all this meaningless arguing.... I understand he's not exactly "banned" in this area, but a lot of TO's have made a conscientious decision not to have any tournaments with him and even worse many people say they wouldn't even show up to a tournament if he was allowed. Which I find counterproductive to this community.
I'll argue with you later if that's what you want, but I still won't be going to any MK banned tournament past this year's APEX.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Grammar quiz punks.
1. How many tenses are there in English?
2. What effect does auxiliary "have" have on the next verb?
3. Name at least three modals in English.
4. When do you hyphenate a compound modifier?
5. What's the difference between an em and an en dash?

Go back to school, all of you.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Were, Levi, not was.

Scumbag Saint: Corrects grammer; says "aight".

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Really, so out of that whole post that's what you took from it. And then you proceed to butcher the next two sentences you type in response to my post. Sorry Saint you just dropped your grab on the English language.

:phone:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
splitting infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions are fine. the only people who stick by the "rules" that say you shouldn't do that are hyper-grammar nazi douchebags that don't actually know what they're talking about

the only english rule I hate is the fact that you are supposed to used the subjective form of a noun if it follows a helping verb.

e.g "this is he"
that sounds ****ing stupid.

THIS IS HIM, god damnit.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Whom are you talking to?

Sounding right only exists because most people don't know what they're saying is wrong.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I'll argue with you later if that's what you want, but I still won't be going to any MK banned tournament past this year's APEX.
dont argue with him, man...
did you mean to say you wont be going to anymore mk legal tournaments? or mk banned ones too?
splitting infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions are fine. the only people who stick by the "rules" that say you shouldn't do that are hyper-grammar nazi douchebags that don't actually know what they're talking about
one thing, grammar nazis do know what theyre talking about. :urg: (I was an english major)

and second, lol, i agree that i am most definately against most of the rules, in my case, for no real reason though, in writing and in talking. i read alot of 'beat' novels and poetry. and i prefer ebonics to the actual english language. so there you go with that lol. things can still translate and thats all that matters to me. it comes down to preference after that.
However, proper english does serve its purposes. words man...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
To be fair, BlindSpot asked who would be interested, and Ryker said that he wouldn't be interested. The argument itself doesn't need to happen out here, though--Take it to PM if it needs to happen at all.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Grammar quiz punks.
1. How many tenses are there in English?
2. What effect does auxiliary "have" have on the next verb?
3. Name at least three modals in English.
4. When do you hyphenate a compound modifier?
5. What's the difference between an em and an en dash?

Go back to school, all of you.
ehhhh, dont know any of these and dont really care.

as long as you can understand me and have the ability to respond we should be fine.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Whom are you talking to?

Sounding right only exists because most people don't know what they're saying is wrong.

in the instance I was talking about, the reason it sounds right is because it would be right if it weren't for some arbitrary english exception to what is normally the rule.

"To whom are you talking" sounds better.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
George, just schedule a night since nobody's taking action. I'm free any night and slam's only busy thurs and frid

jan when you free?

D

Deleted member

anyone live around the coast? ima be around biloxi this wed and thurs. PM me for melee if not too far away

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
dont argue with him, man...
did you mean to say you wont be going to anymore mk legal tournaments? or mk banned ones too?
Dat typo. I meant legal, good catch.

I offer to argue with him because I know him pretty well and really doubt either of us want to go into it.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Well, I'm a technical writing major, so I did know that.

However, the rule you referred to sucks, and we should get rid of it. Why should "to be" get special status in the subjunctive form when no other verb in the English language does?

EDIT 3: Saint, how many tenses are there in English?
The entire English language is backwards and just generally sucks. There are a myriad of rules and the like that make almost no sense at all.
I also dislike how rare the subjunctive case is at all in the English language. In normal conversation, I'm almost certain it will only be used for contrary to fact conditionals.

In response to your edit, I was going to say four until I read your post farther down.

And after reading that, I started to argue for four due to myself being a little pompous and thinking I'm right immediately rather than considering why you said there were only two.

But to be perfectly fair, I'm not a technical writing major. So correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there four tenses in the English language, being present, past, past perfect, and future?
I don't know if the progressives count.

edit: As for your grammar quiz, since I got number one wrong, I know three of them assuredly.
2. Makes the verb occur in the past. I wanna say it's present perfect tense. (I.E., "I chop that tree." "I have chopped that tree.")
3. Modals are can, could, should, might, would, et cetera.
4. When the compound modifier is made up of either adjectives of equal weight or an adjective and a noun pairing that needs the hyphen (small-jet engine means that it's an engine for a small jet, not a small engine for a nondescript jet).

And I don't know what an en or em dash even is.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Dat typo. I meant legal, good catch.

I offer to argue with him because I know him pretty well and really doubt either of us want to go into it.
oh, i thought you were hinting at a ryker retirement. lol.
anyday after 7 and saturday and sunday afternoons sometimes if i'm not hungover
your hangovers last until 7 PM? well people do stay out at the Plaza until like 7 AM. lol. so ridiculous.
if you drink at Btree everyone is out of there by like midnight. Bottletree is like the least fun bar in birmingham though. unfortunately its my usual. i like to 'feel' like im cool... or something.

idk they do have Retro Game night the same night as their one dollar well night. ;p

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
All right, it's going to be Sundays for now then. I was planning on starting them up in December, but if you guys want to shoot for kicking things off this weekend, I'm cool with it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I have been practicing. Now and again, I attempt the triple grasp, but have been unsuccessful in stopping it from going over the top.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
All right, it's going to be Sundays for now then. I was planning on starting them up in December, but if you guys want to shoot for kicking things off this weekend, I'm cool with it.
wheres the gamebox at again? didn't it get relocated or something?
and at what time?

Top Bottom