• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Anomaly, my friend had some complications come up, so he can't make it to G4S5. I can give you a ride now. By the way, it's a long trip, so any help in gas money would be appreciated. :(

Also guys, Wii Freeloader. Where was this one month ago?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Haha, Janitor. You're no Moogle. :D I'll jump on P64k some time if you tell me when you're getting on so we can play.

As far as the ride situation goes, you're coming up to Birmingham today, right? I'll need your address and Anomaly's. Considering it takes about 3 hours to get there, plus the additional hour from crossing the time zone, I'm thinking we should hit the road around 7 a.m., leaving enough time to make it down there before noon and having enough room where we should be okay if we run into any heavy traffic.

I wanted to get your input on this part. We could either take I65 and merge onto I85 at Montgomery or take Highway 280 pretty much all the way. 280 is a shorter distance and they should take just as long as each other getting down there. I also doubt there'd be as big of a chance of running into huge amounts of traffic on 280 versus the interstate.

Make sure you guys have your money for the tournament: $15 for singles + $10 for doubles + money for any money matches or something + money for food + gas money if you're feeling generous. Tournaments are expensive.

I don't think we need to rent a room anywhere, so I wouldn't worry about that.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lulz no i'm no moogle. but most people aren't. but most people on p64k aren't that good anyway. I usually win when play on there. I played against a guy name Green Kirby yesterday though and was getting ***** (partly because he was playing Kirby, and I have no idea how to fight that god-forsakenly broken character :-D but i'm sure he would have beaten me with any character) . i also got to play with isai one time for a few minutes before I lost connection lmfao he was doing something crazy like a timed battle ffa with nothing but bombs and beam swords or something like that.

its in Irondale, actually its more like Mountain Brook, but technically its irondale. it's a gated community, so just gimme a call when you are near, and I'll come out there so you don't have to fool with entering in any gate codes and such.

i'll be ready at 7 a.m then.

maybe if 280 is a shorter distance you could save a minimal amount of gas by going that way?

also is there anyone that's going to this that wants to team up?

Skybent

Smash Cadet
wellll. i didnt see a place to introduce yourself here but im from wetumpka (which is 10 minutes away from montgomery) and im new to these boards. so just thought id let you know you got one more smash alabamian here.
i use c. falcon if you wanna add me to the first page. and i shall TRY to attend the tourney at gamestop in eastdale mall or something. godddddd, imma freak out if something else comes up..

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sooo g4s5 was funn as expected.
I think I did pretty good in teams. Im playing Falco in teams from now on. Singles was another story. I think I get nervous in matches or something because I play really well in friendlies but suck it up in tournament matches. I lost two matches I don't think I should have. i wouldn't have made it out of pools anyway though, i had nes noob, RAM, Tong, and JMOAN, who are all loads better than me. I got a few good tippers on tong's jiggs though :-D

Props @ Iori winning though, he hasn't legitemately won first place in a while, has he?

Guys.
i'm not ready to give up Melee i'm just starting to learn how to play D:

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
that was pretty fun. glad i stayed till the end. I hope brawl can be as awesome as melee was.

btw, does anyone in bham have a triwing screwdriver by chance...?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
btw, does anyone in bham have a triwing screwdriver by chance...?
I've gone searching for them before. Nobody carries them to my knowledge. I've tried Radioshack, Home Depot, Lowe's, all kinds of places. A cell phone place might but it's unlikely.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
i saw this and laughed. Kell being tech chased by his own banana XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL0BivoND_4

also i asked moogle today if he could have brawl on thursday, and he said he'd probably borrow it from his friend again. So i guess check with moogle in a day or two and be ready to practice for the gamestop tourny on Saturday.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I've gone searching for them before. Nobody carries them to my knowledge. I've tried Radioshack, Home Depot, Lowe's, all kinds of places. A cell phone place might but it's unlikely.
Ah, the Nintendo tool. you're better off just ordering online. try play-asia.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont find the voices to be that bad.

English voiceovers of Japanese media have a really bad rap for some reason. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "those English Dubs were good"

well c'mon, to us Americans, Japanese sounds so cool, the english voiceovers will always pale in comparison.

all things being equal, I think the voice overs are decent.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
oh my sweet lord. for those who don't know how abysmal the american voiceovers are...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5A608B9mw

if there is a just and loving god, there will still be a Japanese language toggle.

All of these made me want to gag. even metaknight.
There's clips for all the voices now. There's a thread in general somewhere I think with links. For the most part, I don't think the voiceovers are that bad. Like Janitor said, eople always default to saying that English voiceovers suck compared to the Japanese ones (which doesn't make sense to me since I can't understand what the flux they're saying regardless of how "cool" it sounds). With that said though:

Fox sounds ok and how i would expect him to sound (although I'll miss the old "Mission Complete)
Metaknight and Lucario sound cool
Pit - LOL.
Falco - would not have never expected the NY accent
Snake - is Snake
PT - is expected. Sounds like Ash Catchem from the show
Wolf - I expected him to be a bit more "regal" and less "country" but i guess he sounds ok.

Being the big Fire Emblem fan that I am, my biggest beef is with Ike's gay *** "I fight for my friends" line. Its like he gets 10x softer when he says it. Its not even in character for him to say some crap like that. Ike was a mercenary. He didn't fight for his friends, he fought for money (except when he was fighting for revenge). Its just coincidence that he got along with the people who were paying him for his services. I guess saying "I ***** my sword out for money" or "I kill people for cash" wasn't PC enough for Nintendo, so they just chopped off his balls instead. /rant

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Bah, i dont buy games for voice overs to be at peak performance. I buy them for being good and fun to play.... although i prob will be playing SSE with english then turning the Japanese voices back on cause they sound kool.

j00t

Smash Champion
There's clips for all the voices now. There's a thread in general somewhere I think with links. For the most part, I don't think the voiceovers are that bad. Like Janitor said, eople always default to saying that English voiceovers suck compared to the Japanese ones (which doesn't make sense to me since I can't understand what the flux they're saying regardless of how "cool" it sounds). With that said though:

Fox sounds ok and how i would expect him to sound (although I'll miss the old "Mission Complete)
Metaknight and Lucario sound cool
Pit - LOL.
Falco - would not have never expected the NY accent
Snake - is Snake
PT - is expected. Sounds like Ash Catchem from the show
Wolf - I expected him to be a bit more "regal" and less "country" but i guess he sounds ok.

Being the big Fire Emblem fan that I am, my biggest beef is with Ike's gay *** "I fight for my friends" line. Its like he gets 10x softer when he says it. Its not even in character for him to say some crap like that. Ike was a mercenary. He didn't fight for his friends, he fought for money (except when he was fighting for revenge). Its just coincidence that he got along with the people who were paying him for his services. I guess saying "I ***** my sword out for money" or "I kill people for cash" wasn't PC enough for Nintendo, so they just chopped off his balls instead. /rant
The thing is, Fox's old "Mission Complete" wasn't changed from the Japanese version of the game. It isn't that the American voices are worse than the Japanese voices, it's just that the creators of the game (Who happen to be from Japan!) know how to personalize their own characters better with voices. Wolf sounding country is what i'm talking about.... :/

If the American developers were actually smart, then they could choose some capable VAs for the characters. But nope, we'll never reach that light. :x

moogle

Smash Ace
Extra long post. I had some time alone with Brawl (shh), and I did this. It's a measure of the landing lag for all the characters' aerials. No guarantees on the accuracy... just enjoy it!

Mario
fair: high
bair: very low
uair: very low
dair: low
nair: very low

Donkey Kong
bair: low
uair: mid - high
dair: high
nair: low

Link
fair: very low
uair: high
dair: very high

Samus
dair: very low

Zero Suit Samus
fair: low

Kirby
dair: very low - low

Fox
fair: mid
uair: mid

Pikachu
fair: very low - low
bair: high
nair: mid

Marth
bair: mid

G&W
fair: mid - high

Luigi
nair: very low - low

Diddy
uair: low - mid

Zelda
dair: mid

Sheik

Pit
nair: high (auto cancels easy)

Metaknight
uair: low

Falco
bair: very low - low

Squirtle

Ivysaur

Charizard
fair: high - very high
nair: low - mid

Ike
fair: low - mid

Snake
nair: high

Peach

Yoshi

Ganondorf
bair: mid - high
nair: high

Ice Climbers

Dedede

Wolf
fair: very high

Lucario
dair: very low?

Ness
dair: mid - high

Sonic

Koopa
fair: mid - high

Wario
dair: mind

Toon Link

Robot
dair: very low?

Olimar

C.Falcon

Purin
bair: low - mid
nair: low - mid

Lucas
fair: very low - low
uair: very low - low

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "those English Dubs were good".
Cowboy Bebop

MetaKnight sounds like Darth Vader en Espanol. James Earl Jones, anyone? They shouldda gone with the voice of Optimus Prime.
Pit is lame.
Fox sounds... metrosexual at best. Prolly has frosted tips.
Falco sounds like the Fonz. "Heands off my prey!"
Everyone's gonna fawn over Marth because his voice will stay Japanese.

/troll

Top Bottom