• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Olimar in my opinion is like an advanced Mr. Game and Watch, only assuming , but i guess only time will tell

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
I'm just assuming, he's just one of the last people i would have guessed they would have thrown in the game.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I'm taking this as Ridely confirmation.

Like hell they would put in Olimar and not...

but wait.

They said that about Ice Climbers too, didn't they?

Nooooooooo

Sensai

Smash Master
Sorry to bump this thread even more off topic....

Was there a large period of time today that the boards were unavailable? Or is my internet just deciding to blow?

Also: Advanced Wars is good. Yum!

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I'm taking this as Ridely confirmation.

Like hell they would put in Olimar and not...

but wait.

They said that about Ice Climbers too, didn't they?

Nooooooooo
The official Character support link thread had an interesting discussion about the blatantly improper use of the word "confirm" in regard of unannounced characters. We probably need a new word.

Olimar seems pretty natural. Whether or not Pikmin has a fan following, it's Miyamoto's brainchild and therefore a shoo-in. I just hope he plays well. I actually expect him to have a truly unique feel, much in the way that the Ice Climbers felt fresh the first time I tried them out. There's an underlying philosophical question here: What's better? Getting what you want or getting something you didn't know you wanted? I don't have an answer.

Is it just me or does Wario flow like a heavy Game & Watch? His animations are so choppy that they look like the one and two frame G&W attacks.

Snake's final smash. I was hoping for an air strike or a Metal Gear attack, but this is pretty cool. We'll get to shoot from that classic behind-the-shoulder view, which is a nice nod at the more recent MGS games. If you've never played a Metal Gear game, it's definitely your loss.

And, yes the boards have been acting up. Yesterday evening I couldn't view them.

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Ok this is probably the random post of the Day...

Why isn't there (1) location in AL where a tournament can be held once every 3 or 4 months? I Mean if it's dead center of AL just about everybody can get to it. Even though we don't have a very high gaming moral in the smash world, with it being centered it wont be putting people out of reach. I'm not talking about a small tournament with 10 or 12 people im talking about one that you announce for months to let people spread the word. I know tons of smashers around my area that play their hands numb with no place to actual....compete. Yea there WAS the MLG, but sense it was dropped from there they are kinda-of hunting small tournaments now or something along those lines. So thats why i've come to fellow Alabamians to see if we could somehow make this happen.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Well ask someone from B'ham to host it, since that's in the center of the state.

Or we could host more here in Tuscaloosa. I could try to fiddle faddle with that. But I'm lazy, you see. So that might pose a problem.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I'm sure it's a relatively easy process, it's just a lot of work to get the pieces in order.

If we had some sort of alabama smash council whose job was only to set up a centralized tournament, then it'd be aces. Splitting the job between a couple of people would ease the burden.

coach

Smash Apprentice
we have less than 4 weeks before everything resets. just a little sparkle of cynicism for you.

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
I didn't say that this was to be done before then, I'm throwing this out there so we can talk about this now instead of wasting time in the future.

j00t

Smash Champion
I was planning on hosting a tournament last summer but it didn't happen. I was just about to reserve rooms for the tourney but I just never got around to doing anything after that. And I think it should be in Huntsville, mainly because more smashers are probably familiar with this area. We've only had one major tournament here that I know of, but Isai was here. So nyah. :<

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
no....., during the last delay they annouced it 2months ahead of time, if they were going to delay it again they would have declared it by now.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
@Tarnish: This doesn't look good. The original article did mention Wal Mart's anticipation of a delay, which is nothing to sneeze at. The February 10th release date was so pronounced that retailers should have a good reason to post anything different. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo responds, especially since Japan is already seeing Brawl commercials. This doesn't look good.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Yes i know.

Also one other thing. Japan gets brawl like 2 weeks ahead of us, which means that they have 2 to 3 weeks to announce everything they want to announce on the Dojo. Now having said that i was thinking that it could also affect us with the daily updates, but then again this is just a thought.

[Edit] - Well i just got off of the phone with my friend who is a store manager at a GameCrazy and he said that its still the same release in there database. Also the Japanese release of Brawl is this month ( the 24th to be exact ). So im suspecting that this might be a rumor or some kind of hoax to maybe hype the game more... i dunno. Then again look at what happened to Halo 2, it got pushed back 1 whole year :/.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont think you guys understand how much of my life is going to initially go to this game once I get my hands on it. i doubt i'll sleep for a couple of weeks.

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't think the game is being pushed back for the American release. It just wouldn't make sense. If the Japanese version were also to be delayed, it might mean something...but there's no reason that there would be a month in between releases.

Also, guys, you missed Janitor's last post. Sheik is back. That ****in' *****. There's some more information at the link below, but it doesn't matter because the ***** IS BACK.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226588

[Edit:]

Good lord the boards are being ***-holey today...

I editted this to say this: Sorry Coach.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
olimar's recovery is going to be really iffy, i see a lot of annoying deaths happening becaus eyou dont have enough pikmin, but I thinking pikmin is going to be dope. Probably a pretty good character. People are gonna be like "omfg you pulled like 5 purple pikmin that round, total fvckin hax"

btw guys is that pikmin game fun? I've never played it, actually. I own a gamecube and the only game i have is smash, oh and baldurs gate, which is pretty good (PC version owns it thoough). i think i should probably be able to find pikmin for like 5 bucks or something at this point

any other classic gamecube titles you recommend (that i can find for very cheap :-D)

and wow @ the zelda thing.
people just pull stuff out of their *****

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Yea Janitor Pikmin 1 & 2 are good games to me, but in other peoples opinions its not cause its to kiddie or something. As i like to say to people who think a game is too kiddie " I'd like to see a kid beat it then ".

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/912.html <--- That sould give you enough videos to watch and understand what the game is all about.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Well Pikmin 1 explains how he finds the planet and Pikmin and thats about it.

Pikmin 2 is about Olimar and his partner Louie going back to the planet to collect things to pay off a debt. So you could get Pikmin 2 and not get the 1st one if you want but you might be asking a few questions about somethings.

Me, Myself suggest getting both because there both great games. You can prob find both games cheap somewhere to be honest.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
are pikmin 1 and 2 both titles I should get, or does pikmin 2 have everything 1 has and more?
I'd get the first Pikmin first. It's cheaper and it's a very short game. Then, if you like what you see, you can always pick up the second one.

Here is a list of nearly essential GameCube games:

Ikaruga (this 2-D shooter is legendary)
Killer 7
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Soul Calibur II (although I prefer the PS2's controller for this)
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4 (although you may prefer the Wii version at this point)
Viewtiful Joe

EDIT: I forgot about Wind Waker. That was a fun one.

Other recommended GameCube titles:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (the definitive Harvest Moon update)
Beach Spikers (a much better multiplayer experience than DOA Xtreme volleyball)

/spam

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
You forgot a few games that i cant think of right now but the one main one is " Tales of Symphonia ". Its considered to be the best in the series, besides there making a 2nd for the Wii so that has to say something about it.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
You forgot a few games that i cant think of right now but the one main one is " Tales of Symphonia ". Its considered to be the best in the series, besides there making a 2nd for the Wii so that has to say something about it.
Ah yes. Tales of Symphonia. The cure for the RPG-starved GameCube owner. I wanted to like that game.

I don't know, man. I had Tales of Symphonia, even going so far as to preorder it and get that cool art book. But the game was kinda boring and the voice acting was terrible, which made it hard to get into. So I traded it in. Moogle tells me that it gets better, but I wasn't feelin' it. I'm a bit biased, though. Having delved into the world of Shin Megami Tensei, I have a hard time recommending an RPG that isn't Nocturne. Seriously. That game just wipes the floor with everything else I've played... and I used to be a hardcore Squaresoft fan.

I'll give it another shot at some point, though. I liked the multiplayer aspect and maybe Moogle would be down with playing through it again cooperatively.

And yes there are other good GameCube games, but I didn't "forget" anything. I was just going for essentials. Sadly, Metroid Prime isn't for everyone; neither is F-Zero GX. And while Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance looks cool, I never finished the GBA FE. Mario Sunshine was boring. Pacman VS was amazing.

/trolling

j00t

Smash Champion
Ah yes. Tales of Symphonia. The cure for the RPG-starved GameCube owner. I wanted to like that game.

I don't know, man. I had Tales of Symphonia, even going so far as to preorder it and get that cool art book. But the game was kinda boring and the voice acting was terrible, which made it hard to get into. So I traded it in. Moogle tells me that it gets better, but I wasn't feelin' it. I'm a bit biased, though. Having delved into the world of Shin Megami Tensei, I have a hard time recommending an RPG that isn't Nocturne. Seriously. That game just wipes the floor with everything else I've played... and I used to be a hardcore Squaresoft fan.

I'll give it another shot at some point, though. I liked the multiplayer aspect and maybe Moogle would be down with playing through it again cooperatively.

And yes there are other good GameCube games, but I didn't "forget" anything. I was just going for essentials. Sadly, Metroid Prime isn't for everyone; neither is F-Zero GX. And while Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance looks cool, I never finished the GBA FE. Mario Sunshine was boring. Pacman VS was amazing.

/trolling
And yet you don't mention this one game called "Super Smash Bros. Melee" in this list of essentials.

Who are you? Have we ever met before?

Sensai

Smash Master
It's understood, Joot.

My list of essentials includes Pikmin, Killer 7, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4 (RE0 and 1 if you like RE), Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, Soul Caliber II, and Killer 7.

I haven't had any time with Tales, sadly. I heard it was great...but I don't own it.

Sensai

Smash Master
The thing with Killer 7 is that it is COMPLETELY hit or miss, love or hate, do or die. Rob and I love it, lots hate it...

Rob described it best by saying it's an art house game. If you're willing to look past a few flaws and allow yourself to connect to the atmosphere (read: get into it) then you'll enjoy it. Sorta like, another favorite, Psychonauts.

Speaking of favorites: Juno is incredible. Absolutely amazing. And **** is it hard tagging bold on your iPhone.

[Edit:]

SpaceBalls: always with the amazing timing.

Top Bottom