• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
You mean this coming thursday? If you mean next week when the tournament is then we probably won't leave until Friday evening. (that's just an assumption).
The thursday of the tournament. And yeah, I'm just wondering if I can stay in Hville before the tournament, I kinda need practice. I'll know if I'm going by Sunday-ish.

And yes McKilla, as long as there is room in their car. It looks to be about a 100 dollar trip for gas, hotel, food, singles, entry, and such, assuming 5 people.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
mvc3 amazing real fighting game! SMASH MAY INDEED HAVE 2 take a backseat! And i quote rest in peace smash bros you had potential srry your community had 2 be a bunch of scrubs!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lmao aloha quoting janitor.
dude dont quit smash for mvc3 u kno that ****s gonna get broken real fast in like a month.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
im not quitting smash im just more interested in the art of a true fighting game! POUND? a big tourny? naw EVO IZ A BIG TOURNY! AFTER WATCHING METAKNIGHT AFTER METAKNIGHT SSMBB MELEEE AFTER FALCO , jiggly, marth and C FALCON ITZ JUST GETS A LITTLE DULL! however capcom truly makes me go wow! AT MLG I HAD MORE FUN WATCHING TEKKEN 6 than smash! WHY? CUZ IT IS A REAL FIGHTING GAME! SMASH IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE! NICE 1 relized it because he knows the difference between man and child! GROWN UPS PLAY PLAY MVC2 andMVC3 thats what makes capcom so sucessfull! YOU DONT HEAR WHINERS AND COMPLAINERS!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
im not quitting smash im just more interested in the art of a true fighting game! POUND? a big tourny? naw EVO IZ A BIG TOURNY! AFTER WATCHING METAKNIGHT AFTER METAKNIGHT SSMBB MELEEE AFTER FALCO , jiggly, marth and C FALCON ITZ JUST GETS A LITTLE DULL! however capcom truly makes me go wow!
You didn't get tired of seeing Magneto, Sentinel, and Storm for ten years of MvC2?

Not saying that that's what MvC3 is going to be, but, you did praise MvC2 after putting down a lack of variety in Smash, so I figured I would bring that up. I hear MvC3 is "Sentinel and Friends," anyway.

A video game is a video game, regardless of how "grown-up" their cartoon characters look. There's a lot of depth to be had in Smash as well as MvC.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Sentinel will always be overpowered no matter what game it appears in.

And that's sad cause Amaterasu is soooooo cute!

Aloha

Smash Cadet
louis bro i love smash im not quitting or putting you guys down your wario is sexy and fun to watch! ITS JUST MVC3 has potential to be GREAT AND I SEE THAT I OWN A FIGHT STICK AND JUST MAKES THE GAME THAT MUCH MORE FUN! AIR COMBO! YES! EXCELLENT! UNSTOPPABLE! ITS NUTS MVC3 all DAY!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
louis bro i love smash im not quitting or putting you guys down--
You said that it got boring to watch and that it isn't and never will be a real fighting game. Those are fighting words. :/

Regardless, I'm glad you're excited for MvC3. There's a lot of hype everywhere I look for it. It's gonna be really popular.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
im not quitting smash im just more interested in the art of a true fighting game! POUND? a big tourny? naw EVO IZ A BIG TOURNY! AFTER WATCHING METAKNIGHT AFTER METAKNIGHT SSMBB MELEEE AFTER FALCO , jiggly, marth and C FALCON ITZ JUST GETS A LITTLE DULL! however capcom truly makes me go wow! AT MLG I HAD MORE FUN WATCHING TEKKEN 6 than smash! WHY? CUZ IT IS A REAL FIGHTING GAME! SMASH IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE! NICE 1 relized it because he knows the difference between man and child! GROWN UPS PLAY PLAY MVC2 andMVC3 thats what makes capcom so sucessfull! YOU DONT HEAR WHINERS AND COMPLAINERS!
yeah, melee had no variety. Oh wait, the top 8 included:
jiggs, falco, marth, young link, peach, fox, sheik, pikachu, and falcon.

And I dont see how age has anything to do with games.....they are all just games.

j00t

Smash Champion
See ya later.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
mvc is a terrible example when trying to make an argument about a balanced game or one with variety lol
smash is too but marvel is not the best choice

Wumpus King

Smash Cadet
Hey moogle I hate to drop this on you guys but March 5 is also the MSU Monthly

<_< So there's that.
Me and some other Tuscaloosa guys are gonna head down so we can start getting better. You play Melee and Brawl, or just Melee?

Aloha

Smash Cadet
guys again i love smash please dont get it twisted! LET ME RE FRAZE WHAT I WAS REALLY TRYING TO POINT OUT
OUR COMMUNITY IS DIVIDED YOU EITHER PLAY BRAWL OR YOU PLAY MELEE! NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID WE HAVE PLAYERS THAT COMPLAIN HELLA ALOT ABOUT SOME CHRACTERS! THAT WE OFTEN FEEL THAT IS CHEAP! Ummm i was responding to slam when ask if i was going too quit? i never intended to put smash down or the people who play smash including myself! I SAID SMASH IS NOT A FIGHTING GAME AND NEVER WILL BE! I WAS OUT OF LINE IT IS A FIGHTING GAME WHICH I LOVE 2 play! KEVIN I NEVER SAID MVC was more balanced ! IF IT WAS NOT FOR SMASH I WOULD NOT BE INTERESTED IN FIGHTING GAMES!

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
btw, guys, there is plenty of variety in MvC2 once you get through the waves of MSP and Santhrax.

I use MSS and Row myself, but... ah, who am I kidding, what MvC2 lacks in character variety it makes up for with playstyle variety between the same chars; kinda like how I feel with Melee for the most part.

Also, I don't call Smash a fighting game only to prevent confusion for parties interested. You won't see me going on SRK to tell everyone there's a fighting game tournament going down and it's all about Melee.

Also, Level E for best anime of the season.

Purple

Hi guys!
I'm sure people have read this on shoryuken.com

I have a question, would any of you say the same thing to an extent, applies to brawl? or is that a no.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm sure people have read this on shoryuken.com

I have a question, would any of you say the same thing to an extent, applies to brawl? or is that a no.
It's something that you see in any fighting game...Any competitive game, really. It takes a whole lot of experimentation to find and hone useful tactics, so before people become intimately familiar with the mechanics of the game and each character, whatever stands out as particularly good among the most obvious methods will be what people inevitably worry about. Worrying is okay, but complaining isn't warranted so early in a competitive game's lifespan. Things -will- work themselves out, and it will probably be much deeper than anyone initially realizes. At least, that's the mindset you have to have. New tactics will appear and make what was initially overpowered seem pretty weak in comparison.

If, after so long, it doesn't get any better, then you're probably not playing a very competitive game. Maybe X-Factor -is- a really ****ty game mechanic.

Purple

Hi guys!
Well how long has it been? Three years since brawl's release? Granted MK is still the best character by a relative margin, everyone has 'strategies' to overcome that character, yet the argument of him being banned or the game being unplayable and boring overall seems to be a constant factor in discussion.

I guess the question would be is the game [Brawl] competitive; I certainly think so, however many people (granted, a large deal of them being melee players who only played brawl during the first month or two) think otherwise

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well how long has it been? Three years since brawl's release? Granted MK is still the best character by a relative margin, everyone has 'strategies' to overcome that character, yet the argument of him being banned or the game being unplayable and boring overall seems to be a constant factor in discussion.

I guess the question would be is the game [Brawl] competitive; I certainly think so, however many people (granted, a large deal of them being melee players who only played brawl during the first month or two) think otherwise
People weren't initially crying "OP" because of his tilts, N-Air, perfect planking, or complete dominance on counterpick stages. They got around Tornado, Shuttle Loop, and edgeguarding potential, and then other things were found and not taken as seriously for some reason, even though they affect the game much more and cause the other things to be significantly better than they were on their own.

I still think he should be banned, but only because more things have come to light. Meta Knight's F-Tilt shenanigans really make everything else exponentially better. Everyone continues to say, "The metagame has settled--You'll be okay," when the game would be much healthier and much more exciting (IMO for the latter, but, come ooooon) without him. M2K placed outside of top 8 at Pound 5, probably because other excellent players have decided to pick up the god character. Ally regularly beats M2K now that he's switched, for instance. M2K practices probability, and sticks to what's guaranteed; if faced with something new, he panics and does not adapt.

I think people have just become desensitized to it, suggesting, "If he hasn't been banned yet, it'll never happen," and so the argument is just swept under the rug now because of it.

Purple

Hi guys!
What sucks is that a lot of the arguments (at least I'd think) that cause MK to be a safe character never seem to go away.

The main one being attendance of tournaments. People feel (or felt, I'm not very up with the times to be honest). People feel that when Metaknight is banned, tournaments will drop considerably due to MK mains dropping the game. Then there's the "it has to be done perfect to be good, therefore it's not good".

"But it's still there"
"But no one's perfect therefore it's invalid"
"But it's -still- there!"

I agree that it's been swept under, it's a lot of work to ban a character after people have spent years trying to defeat him and understand ways to play around him. people have grown used to the idea of playing against Metaknight, some even (granted, because they don't play top MKs) feel that they enjoy the MK matchup.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll make my next tournament MK-banned if enough people want it. It really can't become a standard if we want to be successful out-of-state, but I'm willing to give it a shot and breathe a little to get some data.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Sentinel!!!

There isn't a point to doing an mk banned tourney anymore, the idea sort of died months ago. All that's gonna happen is that I'm gonna get rusty vs mk lol

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Nah, I honestly believe it's too late now to do anything about him.

The "waiting game" went on too long, and honestly I don't see it happening.

Purple

Hi guys!
You see that right there is the problem. The perception is that if I take a step down and begin to play without MK, then I will continuously lose tournaments that actually include MK. Because of that, everyone will fear the idea of starting no-MK tournaments, due to their own greed in feeling that no one will change with them, and that they will be the ones taking the hit by themselves.

So how do you fix that? Man up and do no-MK tournaments anyways. If someone starts, and spreads it to somewhere else, it will eventually grow. It doesn't even have to be to the point where there's a full state of banned MK tournaments, just one tournament monthly that's dedicated to that. If we can get each state to have just ONE monthly that's dedicated to banned MK tournaments, that will be a huge success and we'll be definitely on our way to having MK banned

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
its just SUCH a tired out subject. if a charecter that can kill you with one move is beatable then mk is beatable imho.

and it just gets really old running into people that are so adiment to say something about mk or complain about him tournamnet after tournament after tournament.
and on wifi lol. ok. mostly on wifi. cuz ive only played mk at like 4 tournaments or something.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
its just SUCH a tired out subject. if a charecter that can kill you with one move is beatable then mk is beatable imho.
It is not nearly that simple. Ice Climbers are not even that great. Definitely one of the better characters, but definitely not as metagame-changing as Diddy or Falco in the grand scheme of things. You just have to know your options.

A vast majority of the cast cannot ever hope to win against an intelligent Meta Knight player.

A vast majority of the cast cannot ever hope to win against an intelligent Ice Climbers player if they do not play intelligently themselves. Big difference.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
You see that right there is the problem. The perception is that if I take a step down and begin to play without MK, then I will continuously lose tournaments that actually include MK. Because of that, everyone will fear the idea of starting no-MK tournaments, due to their own greed in feeling that no one will change with them, and that they will be the ones taking the hit by themselves.

So how do you fix that? Man up and do no-MK tournaments anyways. If someone starts, and spreads it to somewhere else, it will eventually grow. It doesn't even have to be to the point where there's a full state of banned MK tournaments, just one tournament monthly that's dedicated to that. If we can get each state to have just ONE monthly that's dedicated to banned MK tournaments, that will be a huge success and we'll be definitely on our way to having MK banned
It was an idea that seemed like it had potential to take off, but right now it won't happen. There isn't enough support anymore for the idea. Tbqh I don't think many people care enough to do anything about it, it's simpler to just pick up mk to begin with then to fight out some hopeless cause.

Maybe I'm more biased now because i main diddy that I don't care what happens to mk, but in the end I don't care enough to try to do anything about it.

It\'s really not nearly that simple. Ice Climbers aren\'t even that great. Definitely one of the better characters, but definitely not as metagame-changing as Diddy or Falco in the grand scheme of things.
Mainly just diddy falco, and snake in that order do decent against him. After that it spans from maybe marth doing ok due to his zoning and air mobility. After that I'd have to look into it deeper to see if anyone could contend

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Maybe not then, it just gave the impression due to his excellent zoning and air mobility.

I guess none of that matters off the stage lol

Top Bottom