• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Curlz

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Some of you may know me, some of you may not, but I am hosting a Brawl Tourny this weekend in Lafayette, LA. I saw some of you guys at Resist the New World Order and I'd be happy to see some of you again [Ryker, Ragnarok] and hopefully some new faces. :D

Its called Lost 9 and can be found here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12092811#post12092811

Any OoS player that places top 3 gets an extra $10 into their prize money. There are also going to be random raffles throughout the night for $5 each.

Its only a 4-5 hour drive from Alabama. I hope to see you there. :D

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Curlz, we just had two tournies in a row. I'm financially embarrassed. We may hit you up later this month for the big 3 day event you guys seem to have planned.

Guys, I know there's a higher level there that I'm not on and I feel like I could reach. I really want to be there, but I've hit a wall with my Falco. Me and Rag play for hours most weeks and I can't play him with one character. I generally only play Falco, Meta Knight, and Luigi. My MK has caught my Falco and probably passed it. I can't play Falco against some players, like Saint or Cam that I run into at every tourney, and I am not good at playing those MKs and Warios on stages like Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise.

I really like Falco, but I have no fun when Rag is gimping me for three stocks or beating me with ICs. MK, on the other hand, I also like playing. I can be patient with him and I like the way he can space all day and be safe.

Opinions. Please leave the MK hate at the door.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you're going to have to find a way to play against other opponents.

its hard to gauge your skill when you play the same people all the time.

when i used to live with george, we used to go relatively even in friendlies, but he pretty much always placed higher in tournaments. we basically got to the point where simply playing against each other wasn't really making us any better at anything except...playing against each other. i wasn't getting the experience i needed to actually get better

im the type of person who's like, "if he can do it, i can do it". it may be kind of hardheaded, you tell me. but like if i was you i would be like, i need to figure out how to beat these people with the character I like to play.

a suggestion that i hear all the time that im going to start trying is, when you're playing anything besides serious matches (i.e mm's or tourney matches). don't play to win. play to learn. don't try to defeat your opponent, sacrifice the win in order to learn something about what youre doing and what you're opponents are doing. and again this is only going to help when you are fighting a large amount of players.

at tourneys, friendly everyone you can. good players, bad players, the whole nine yards and play to learn. dont worry about getting 3 stocked. just figure out what it is he's doing or what it is that you're doing thats causing you to get wrecked. Falcos beat MKs every day. figure out how.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Curlz, we just had two tournies in a row. I'm financially embarrassed. We may hit you up later this month for the big 3 day event you guys seem to have planned.
Don't worry too much about it. This is just a small locals tourny that I wanted to make a little bigger. The store just opened up so its kind of a "House Warming" tourny, if you will. Lol.

I'm glad you may be coming to February Fight Fest though, it makes me happy to hear that. Especially considering that M2K expressed interest in coming, we now have alot of Hype for it. :]

Guys, I know there's a higher level there that I'm not on and I feel like I could reach. I really want to be there, but I've hit a wall with my Falco. Me and Rag play for hours most weeks and I can't play him with one character. I generally only play Falco, Meta Knight, and Luigi. My MK has caught my Falco and probably passed it. I can't play Falco against some players, like Saint or Cam that I run into at every tourney, and I am not good at playing those MKs and Warios on stages like Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise.

I really like Falco, but I have no fun when Rag is gimping me for three stocks or beating me with ICs. MK, on the other hand, I also like playing. I can be patient with him and I like the way he can space all day and be safe.

Opinions. Please leave the MK hate at the door.
This may not be my place to talk, but this happened to me just a few months back. I used to constantly play Brawl by myself and with others and I never seemed to get any better [or at least that's how it seemed] and I didn't like it. Eventually it came to the point where I felt like I couldn't get any better and I stayed on that Plateau for a while.

It wasn't until very recent (right before Resist 1, actually) that I learned what I was doing was wrong. I always tried to do different things that didn't work. I did the wrong things in situations that I shouldn't have done and so on and so forth. I had so many bad habits that hindered me from getting better. What I did was stop playing for a good week or so to just look back and see what I was doing wrong.

I replayed certain situations in my head and I thought about what I should have done instead of what I actually did and I watched replays of myself so I could correct my bad habits. I did all this without playing Brawl. I just gave myself the mentality that I would break those bad habits and get better. Once I picked up Brawl again I knew what I was doing wrong so I could correct myself, thus creating good habits. Then I started learning matchups and everything starting rolling from there.

Just do what you can and keep trying. Also, THINK while you play. Its the most important thing. Don't ever play from "instinct" always play with your mind.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
It's not just Rag I'm talking about. Take Cam for example. I've never been to a tourney with him where we didn't play each other. The last time we played, I played MK and I feel like I can win next time if I do it.

What I'm getting at is not a problem with any specific match-up though. It's that I feel I do better with MK at this point. Not only that, but my MK is still getting better and I've hit a wall with Falco and I don't know exactly how to get over it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
It's not just Rag I'm talking about. Take Cam for example. I've never been to a tourney with him where we didn't play each other. The last time we played, I played MK and I feel like I can win next time if I do it.

What I'm getting at is not a problem with any specific match-up though. It's that I feel I do better with MK at this point. Not only that, but my MK is still getting better and I've hit a wall with Falco and I don't know exactly how to get over it.
well plateaus are possible to get over, you just have to get in the mindset of learning something new. obv if you keep playing the same way you're going to get the same results.

but i dont see why you wouldnt just focus on the character that you do the best with.

Twinster

Smash Cadet
Okay in my defense, the tv we were playing on had lag and it caused me to miss time my tech off of the wall on that broken stage. Second, the stage was not even legal, and third, i threw that grenade right when i got it but it blew up anyway.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
This may sound crazy Ryker, but i didn't start getting better til I start playing all those charaters and understanding the limits of them. Therefore I start understanding the limits of MK, if that make any sense. But over all I've been trying to get a better understanding of the game itself, and Im getting a bit better at that. And its making my game better. For me, every character has something similair to the next, Bair, Nair, Fair, Uair........ something. And once i see that, I take that to the next character(that shares the similarity) and it helps me out. MK's Nair reminds me of Pika's Nair. They may be differ, but similair for an example.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Ryker, I'm pretty inactive, so you really shouldn't fret about having to play me in tournament all the time. It's not like I was at Vulcan Gamebox last weekend with you guys, so you didn't have to play me there. Janitor was right, play to learn in friendlies, and you will get better. Ragnarok is also right. You should go random a lot in friendlies and just learn the limits of every character. Learn how they move when they are trying to do something specific. Learn when they are vulnerable in their zoning because no zoning is perfect.

I feel like I personally got a lot better when I started to notice all the moments where my opponents aren't doing anything threatening to me. A shield is not threatening. A sidestep is not threatening. These are avoidance maneuvers and can only hurt you/help them if you are too aggressive and do something punishable. Because of this, I try not to sidestep at all in game, but I'm sure I still do it.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
just ask for advice then try to change up your game immediately and try new things out. ill try like a different style each game even if we play 50 games if i really want to learn something. you gotta be able to give up your style and bad habbits. it seems like this is hard for players to do it seems like players get attached to their habbits because for one, well, theyre habbits.
but when someone tells you differently or you notice something, just adjust, dont be hardheaded. im working on this right now. if something doesnt work once dont try it again. there is so much more you could be doing different why not try that?
cuz there is always a better way to play than the way that you learn yourself. but then you just keep practiceing with the new ideas in mind and they build and build.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
That's hilarious. xsamuraix is what I meant to type. I forgot the other x.

Reminds me of what I did in Alabama at a Gamebox tournament. A couple of people from Allisbrawl came over for doubles and got the honor of facing Kola and I. We constantly shouted lame puns and weeaboo jokes and got the match unbelievable hype. We also fought each other more often than we fought them. I WOULD HAVE HAD KOLA IF THE ENEMY TEAM GUY DIDN'T ACCIDENTALLY GIMP HIMSELF. They went back to their wifi-land, never to desire competition again.

That brings up another question that I've argued with my fellow Smashers in AL about. If you get ***** in a game, do you think, "Wow, this game is ********," or, "OMG, that was amazing, I hope to be like that someday." I think **** is the best way to build the desire for improvement.
That last question is something very person-dependent. If you want to be that good then it fuels improvement, but obviously too much of that will turn you away from a game as well.

However, if someone thinks a game is dumb when they get ***** in it, then it could be possible that they hate losing that much and only say that to lessen the sting of their loss.
Dr. Peepee thinks Kola and George and Twinster and Cheap Peach have weak egos.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
****ing walls of text in every ****ing post ****

Are we still talking about how to get better or something? Why are you asking how to get better instead of just becoming better? Tbh the answers are useless if you don't figure them out yourself.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
will shining on em

its all right to ask for advice. there's been plenty of times where i learned things that instantly improved my game just from hearing a tidbit of advice.

sometimes its really simple stuff but you just have to hear it put in words to really understand it.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
"but obviously too much of that will turn you away from a game as well."

:glare:

We don't have weak egos

Winnar

Smash Lord
****ing walls of text in every ****ing post ****

Are we still talking about how to get better or something? Why are you asking how to get better instead of just becoming better? Tbh the answers are useless if you don't figure them out yourself.
Discussing how to improve can help some people get into a better mindset for improvement. Ultimately you're right, though. The only way to truly get better is to figure it out for yourself.

I've always preached self reflection to improve.
Self reflection is important and all, but it's more or less useless unless you get to play with people better than yourself.

The only times I've felt myself getting better has been when I've traveled and got wrecked by dudes. Something about getting your **** pushed in makes you step your game up.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's only natural that people can only take so much. Self-improvement is difficult when you don't know what the next step is. While everyone's path is different, not everyone is so interested in a game that they're willing to play for long, long periods of time and put money into going to tournaments just to get wrecked in the same way every time.

Some people do it to themselves (I -hate- it when people tell me, "I'd rather play the game and discover things on my own than research what works for others,"), but others just don't know where to turn, and should be helped.

While I may not be an expert on using every single character, I try to help people whenever I can, especially when they ask. Every little bit helps.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i wanna learn desperately bad haha
im afraid that alot of my questions will sound stupid though cuz i dont really reffer to things correctly and have a weird way of talking about it i guess. like i tried to ask calvin stuff and he is like "whaat?" but then i just explain more and he ends of covering it. still, its embaressing to sound dumb at first though.
i guess its my lack of fighting game knowledge but the fact that i have experiance that makes it hard for me to explain. its like i know whats going on i just dont know exactly what it is.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i wanna learn desperately bad haha
im afraid that alot of my questions will sound stupid though cuz i dont really reffer to things correctly and have a weird way of talking about it i guess. like i tried to ask calvin stuff and he is like "whaat?" but then i just explain more and he ends of covering it. still, its embaressing to sound dumb at first though.
i guess its my lack of fighting game knowledge but the fact that i have experiance that makes it hard for me to explain. its like i know whats going on i just dont know exactly what it is.
I'll try to help to the best of my ability. You shouldn't feel dumb for not using the standard lingo, but it'd certainly help to learn.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
So, I plan to host a very large tournament sometime in March or April down here at the University of Alabama. It'll be marketed as a "UA vs AU" tournament, but that's just to get some hype (anyone can come of course). It'll be a completely legit tournament, and we'll have about three or four people working it at all times to make sure it runs smoothly. We're trying for a UA equivalent to AU's AUSOM tournaments.

My question thus is: when would be a good time to have this tournament, and who would be interested in attending?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
So, I plan to host a very large tournament sometime in March or April down here at the University of Alabama. It'll be marketed as a "UA vs AU" tournament, but that's just to get some hype (anyone can come of course). It'll be a completely legit tournament, and we'll have about three or four people working it at all times to make sure it runs smoothly. We're trying for a UA equivalent to AU's AUSOM tournaments.

My question thus is: when would be a good time to have this tournament, and who would be interested in attending?
Iron Browl. Sounds rad.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Resist Runs Bi monthly, but we're trying to run every third one in Montgomery and make it bigger. We're running again in April. Idk when AUSOM 3 is scheduled, but it's coming up. Gamebox is random. Schedule around those three things mainly, I guess.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't know. They never really ask for my help to set up or anything. All they ask is that I show up and drag all of my scrubby Madison friends with me ;)

Top Bottom