• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
nah elev8 prolly knows how to do all that plus alot more he just doesnt want us to see how really **** he is at this game.

i.will.not.doubt.almighty.elevv8

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Good thing AUSOM is on an away game day.

If it was on the Florida v. Alabama game day, I would have thrown up the double deuces and walked slowly away from an explosion.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
loll why did you show the stolen vid?
isnt it quite obviously GIMR's? It has his voice, 50 comments from him telling everyone that it is his, and links to the original video...

I just watched it. When i saw the roll grab thing i was like "THIS IS AMAZING!" then i saw it was all about fusion and i was like :(
Practice makes perfect? lol

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Hey guys~ i was wondering if any of you are planning on going to siege in Atlanta on the 2nd of October? i know it's a week before Ausom2, but there's is no entry fee! You just have to pay a 10 dollar door fee. they are splitting up a $1000 dollar pot for Brawl, so i think this should have a nice attendance. Anyone interested?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I do check the front page to see the pictures.

Raf as far as Siege goes, I want to go but will not be sure if Zero will be able to carpool me. ;P He may be stuck going to some wedding thing that day.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
i dont really understand whats going on with the ic's video
what is fusion
Fusion~ i think it results when ICs are hit with an electrical attack (falco laser, thuderjolt, etc) during a certain frame in squall hammer (ics side b). The result is an awkward status where Nana is like attached to Popo. They get a lot of weird properties.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
elev8 i kinda wanna go to that GA tourney.

no promises yet though

how far is phenix city from montevallo?
and you want any gas money if i ride with you there?

so i take it you dont wanna team serin? or do you just not read my postsiesss

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
My brother will me the one driving to siege, but if we have a full car it should be $5 dollars a person for gas. I think Vallo is like 2 hours away from us

*Cam*

Smash Lord
i am fully complaining about olimar. :mad:

its not that his attacks are disjointed

its that they are fully not a part of his body. so you have to separately watch for olimar himself (so you can hit him) AND his hitboxes...
and the hitboxes for the pikmin are like twice as big as the actual sprite on the screen.
he upsmashes by pulling a pikmin from behind him and throwing it upward. the pikmin is pretty much out of view for the first half of the attack. and the move is already fast
iono. same thing with grab. i can't see the **** coming because the pikmin is overlapped with olimars body for half of the move, and the grab hitbox appears to start before the grab animation starts wtf
not to mention the hitbox stays out fo like a whole second.

iono its probably just me. this character was made to piss me off.
Who's Olimar are you playing against? I've played Dan and other oli mains a ton and personally feel pretty confident in the matchup now. I guess you have to realize that Olimar is really vulnerable when he grabs. He's quite susceptible to being grabbed himself. I've found that grabbing Olimars a lot not only works, but it makes them question themselves a lot in match and be less willing to spam grab as much. Let's see, what else? He's not great in the air by any means, so getting him and keeping him in the air will rack up damage. His recovery is bad, and there are obvious moments for gimping. His range is good, but his priority is terrible, so fight him up close with high priority moves. In other words, don't play a camping game with him. Don't even play a zoning game. You just have to get right in his face and keep him under pressure so he can't camp you. That being said, a lot of projectiles are good for racking up damage against Olimar if he is spamming pivot grab (because he lowers his shield to do so). It is very similar to when Diddy lowers his shield to throw bananas in that he opens himself up to attack. Also, if you are getting grabbed a lot, it might help to be more sparing with your jumps. It's tremendously easy to pivot grab someone who is falling to the ground with no jumps left.

That's what I think about playing against Olimar anyway. You don't have to take my word for it or anything.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Who's Olimar are you playing against? I've played Dan and other oli mains a ton and personally feel pretty confident in the matchup now. I guess you have to realize that Olimar is really vulnerable when he grabs. He's quite susceptible to being grabbed himself. I've found that grabbing Olimars a lot not only works, but it makes them question themselves a lot in match and be less willing to spam grab as much. Let's see, what else? He's not great in the air by any means, so getting him and keeping him in the air will rack up damage. His recovery is bad, and there are obvious moments for gimping. His range is good, but his priority is terrible, so fight him up close with high priority moves. In other words, don't play a camping game with him. Don't even play a zoning game. You just have to get right in his face and keep him under pressure so he can't camp you. That being said, a lot of projectiles are good for racking up damage against Olimar if he is spamming pivot grab (because he lowers his shield to do so). It is very similar to when Diddy lowers his shield to throw bananas in that he opens himself up to attack. Also, if you are getting grabbed a lot, it might help to be more sparing with your jumps. It's tremendously easy to pivot grab someone who is falling to the ground with no jumps left.

That's what I think about playing against Olimar anyway. You don't have to take my word for it or anything.
i think the problem is, I play snake. a sluggish ground based character
grabbing olimar is pretty much the only thing I can do.
i can't really keep him in the air, cuz i'm snake.
I can't edguard him THAT well, cuz i'm snake.

olimar keep me from rushing him down with smashes and purple pikmin that out range all my moves and grabs. and if I get in on em either ill get a grab and do some damage or get grabbed and take like 50%

I feel like I should be able to wreck olimar because I can grab him. and olimar has one of thee worst rolls int he game, making dthrow tech chasing pretty easy.
but olimar builds damage and kills me and grabs me just as quickly easily as I do him.

but really my main problem is i literally can't see his moves coming. does no one else have this problem?

like i will know for a fact that the olimar is going to try to upsmash me. but i can't SEE it. i don't realize the move has been done until after i'm star KO'd. the hitboxes for all his moves seem to start before the animations do.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Olimar doesn't kill you easily, LOL. With purple pikman, yeah, but otherwise, you either had bad DI or something situational happened.

Edgeguard him like anyone else does, grab the ledge. Leave a grenade or C4 by the ledge when you grab it so he has to get hit by it when he up-b boosts back on stage. Fall down slowly from the ledge and detonate.

I don't know too much about Snake because I don't main him, but for playing this game as long as I have, I know a lot. You should know what Olimar should rush you down with.

Nothing, cuz he should be pivot grabbing anything you do.

Just my 2 cents.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
i think the problem is, I play snake. a sluggish ground based character
grabbing olimar is pretty much the only thing I can do.
i can't really keep him in the air, cuz i'm snake.
I can't edguard him THAT well, cuz i'm snake.

olimar keep me from rushing him down with smashes and purple pikmin that out range all my moves and grabs. and if I get in on em either ill get a grab and do some damage or get grabbed and take like 50%

I feel like I should be able to wreck olimar because I can grab him. and olimar has one of thee worst rolls int he game, making dthrow tech chasing pretty easy.
but olimar builds damage and kills me and grabs me just as quickly easily as I do him.

but really my main problem is i literally can't see his moves coming. does no one else have this problem?

like i will know for a fact that the olimar is going to try to upsmash me. but i can't SEE it. i don't realize the move has been done until after i'm star KO'd. the hitboxes for all his moves seem to start before the animations do.
I'm no Snake expert. You're the Snake main, not me. But I did used to have a lot of trouble with Olimar using Pikachu, and now I don't because I learned the matchup. I can definitely understand your frustration though. I realized that camping Olimar only leads to losing, and that Olimar calls for different strategies than most characters.

After looking at this matchup in particular, I can see why it gives Snakes trouble. It definitely takes you guys out of your comfort zones. You're not used to characters being able to outcamp you for one. Olimar's pikmin stop grenades and can be spammed faster, so imo Olimar wins in that department. You also are used to careful zoning with ftilt against your opponent and not getting too close. Against Olimar, that won't work and you will just fall victim to his huge grab range.

That being said, I think this matchup is entirely winnable if you adjust accordingly.

About the killing you just as early as you kill him thing, you shouldn't be dying early because you're Snake. Olimar should be dying about 50% before you. Maybe you are DIing something wrong?

Tech chasing the dthrow should be your shining star in this matchup. Like you said, he has one of the worst rolls in the game. You just have to rack up as much damage as possible whenever you do get a grab, and try to get him off stage from it if you can. Snake is a great edgeguarder, and you need to abuse that. Olimar won't have many options getting off the ledge, so half the time, you should be able to knock him back off the stage again. The important thing is to not get too aggressive, otherwise he will slip past you and reassert his stage control. Just keep him off the stage as long as you can, and hopefully you can get a kill out of it.

After watching several Snakes attempt this matchup, I've also noticed that jab is better than ftilt to start combos on Olimar. It's relatively quick, and it should hit Olimar if he tries to grab you. That should combo into grab or ftilt, and from there Olimar is in the air waiting for you to hit him again (or on the ground for techchasing if you did a dthrow).

Speaking of which, when Olimar is in the air, he's going to desperately try to get back to the ground and reset his stage control. Olimar and Snake are very similar in this regard. They are both ground based characters and are going to try to get back to the ground at all costs whenever they are put in the air. Olimar doesn't have a lot of air options, so he'll probably try to super armor or airdodge in (like Snake's often do) and do a gtfo move once he's on the ground. Either of these are extremely punishable and easy to read. The trick really is to punish him once he hits the ground, and not while he's in the air. With Pikachu, I always grab him in this situation. With Snake, you probably have more options, but grab sounds like a pretty good one too. Olimar could try to use an attack coming back, but his aerials are easily shielded and punished (also like Snake).

As for approaching Olimar, I'm not entirely sure with Snake. With Pikachu, I like to wait and see if he full hop throws Pikmin. If he does, I wait for the beginning of the full hop and run over there to catch him before he lands. You could probably DACUS when he hops to throw pikmin, but like I said, I'm not entirely sure with Snake. Sometimes, I also like to use an empty short hop to bait Olimar's shield and get a free grab. I've found that if you grab him a lot over the course of the match, he will be less likely to shield later in the game for fear of being grabbed, and you can start using your normal combos.

You may find in the end that you just want to use a secondary against Olimar that is good in the air (Kirby?). Anyway, I hope that helps. I used to be so frustrated by Olimar that I wanted to quit Brawl (remember, I lived in the same town as Dan), so I do understand your angst.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i mean in terms of PERCENT olimar obv dies wayy early than snake.

but olimar builds damage so retardedly quickly that i feel we are able to take each other's stocks at the same rate.
pikmin especially white ones, take like 40-50 damage or more in a few seconds. and if i try to punch it off or shield i get grabbed and take 40 damage anyway lol

my DI is bad against olimar though because I'm usually already dead or across the screen before i even realized what happened

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ill have to just try some things out and figure out the matchup.
i don't really comprehend how i can do this matchup without being very defensive. cuz olimar is just looking to pivot grab and shield grab any move i do.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
t1j, attacking isnt rush and dash attack. If you dash you're gonna get pivoted. im sure there's some way snake can get to Olimar without getting grabbed.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
t1j, attacking isnt rush and dash attack. If you dash you're gonna get pivoted. im sure there's some way snake can get to Olimar without getting grabbed.
the only way that i know of is if I trick him into getting grabbed by me, or if i grab him as he falls.
and even in that case i'm still camping, waiting for grab opportunities.

i pretty much can't attack olimar unless the olimar is dumb. the olimar doesn't have to do anything. all his has to do is throw stuff and wait for me to do something and then pivot grab it. i think an olimar who knows how to camp wrecks snake everytime. snakes worst matchup without a doubt

i mean im sure i'm doin it rong iono

as of now i think my only shot is to just dthrow tech chase him 0-death every stock, or get some gimps in there somehow lol

*Cam*

Smash Lord
the only way that i know of is if I trick him into getting grabbed by me, or if i grab him as he falls.
and even in that case i'm still camping, waiting for grab opportunities.

i pretty much can't attack olimar unless the olimar is dumb. the olimar doesn't have to do anything. all his has to do is throw stuff and wait for me to do something and then pivot grab it.

i mean im sure i'm doin it rong iono

as of now i think my only shot is to just dthrow tech chase him 0-death every stock, or get some gimps in there somehow lol
Well, like I said, wait for him to jump before you approach him. He can't grab you if he's in the air.

Top Bottom