• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Winnar

Smash Lord
idk why PR matches are non-refusable, that's the only thing I read

ofc they should be refusable, it's boring if it's obligatory lol

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty petty and annoying to try and put rules like that on something as silly as a PR list.

Just saying.

Purple

Hi guys!
idk why PR matches are non-refusable, that's the only thing I read

ofc they should be refusable, it's boring if it's obligatory lol
the reason they are not refusable is because it stresses that the power rankings list should be as accurate as possible. Money Matches can be refused for a viable reason ('i don't have the money, i don't money match people, etc.')

However PRMs are strictly for the title of PR and to help panelists get an accurate ranking. Refusing the matches just pushes away someone's chances of getting higher in ranking.

Think about the example I did. In the GA PR thread, what if player 10 consistently tried to money match 9 and 8 to show that he was better, and they consistently refused in order to keep their placing? What if PRMs were refusable, and they refused those as well for the same reason? During the particular season, 10 never (or rarely) plays 9 or 8. When the panel looks back at all the tournament and information, it looks like 8 and 9 are still worthy of their spot. However, there is nothing to say that 10 isn't better than 8 or 9.

And for that, we make PRMs unrefusable if all the rules are met and ample time is available for both players to play it out. Of course the higher ranking player is probably annoyed about having to accept such a match, which is why there is a rule set for higher ranking players to have more power in the set. (salt match rule)

@Duchock - You're entitled to your own opinion, however in competitive gameplay in my opinion there are people who want to prove that they are the best or on a lighter sense better than certain people. When there aren't rules set up that make these lists accurate, or if they are based on opinion, faulty tournament brackets, or just generally unlucky brackets, people go against them saying "this pr isn't even legit, I never had a chance to play this guy, i don't make money to do mms, this is bs".

So with more rules, comes more information to make PR's as accurate as possible. Of course, they are never 100%, however it's nice to have information to look at.

Winnar

Smash Lord
This might not be something you agree with but the PR isn't nearly as important as you're making it out to be

Such a rigidly structured PR isn't going to be popular unless it's fun. Your goal is to make people want to use the PR and make them excited about the PR system (aka make it fun). Accuracy isn't top priority (or else you'd create a point system based on tournament season results and nothing else), fun is. As it is now I doubt many people are going to be excited about your PR system, but with a small change or two I think it could be a really fun and unique thing that gets people excited about the community and their place in it.

edit - @_@ salt match rule kind of needlessly complicates things, I'd suggest removing it completely

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
~Jason~ are you and coming to the Montgomery tournament?
~Huntsville~ are you coming to the Montgomery tournament?
~Munkus~ are you coming to the Montgomery tournament?
I need answers guys!

Purple

Hi guys!
This might not be something you agree with but the PR isn't nearly as important as you're making it out to be

Such a rigidly structured PR isn't going to be popular unless it's fun. Your goal is to make people want to use the PR and make them excited about the PR system (aka make it fun). Accuracy isn't top priority (or else you'd create a point system based on tournament season results and nothing else), fun is. As it is now I doubt many people are going to be excited about your PR system, but with a small change or two I think it could be a really fun and unique thing that gets people excited about the community and their place in it.

edit - @_@ salt match rule kind of needlessly complicates things, I'd suggest removing it completely
is competition really supposed to be fun..?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
competition is supposed to be fun.
but making accurate power rankings is important for communities that strongly care for their competitive scene.
ga doesn't really care because we already know who the good people are in brawl and that's good enough for us.
maybe AL is the same way too, jamaal.

Purple

Hi guys!
That's what I'm thinking, that's why i didn't do much conversating this time around. A lot of the GA PR seem pretty serious about their placing (even if it's not top 3 in most cases)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
~Jason~ are you and coming to the Montgomery tournament?
~Huntsville~ are you coming to the Montgomery tournament?
~Munkus~ are you coming to the Montgomery tournament?
I need answers guys!
What Montgomery tournament?

EDIT2: I'd go if I had an assured partner for the tourney and someone riding with me. I think the only Huntsville bastage around is Will_.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
This is Kola. Where you guys at! :x
I got stuck with work this evening after working until 8 in the morning today. I would have liked to have shown up. As it stands, Mondays are pretty much my only off day with the exception of the occasional Saturday.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
What Montgomery tournament?

EDIT2: I'd go if I had an assured partner for the tourney and someone riding with me. I think the only Huntsville bastage around is Will_.
I don't have a partner yet. I already asked George in the tourney thread, but if he already has a partner or doesn't want to team, I'll team with you.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
no i didnt get wifi.

i meant irl

buit then my internedt went down.

if anyone wants to stay at my place before tourney just text me.

334 318 5447

and we'll smash or smoke or somefin :p

JKJKHJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJKJK
IM JUST KIDDING
!!!

unless youre MLE.

Top Bottom