• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
what you people who are good at melee don't understand is that it isn't really that fun to get four-stocked over and over again. like, its not enjoyable.

I think the only reason I'm still interested in melee is because I had the luck of having people around me that I could actually beat at the game.

If thief and moogle and joot and dml were the only people I had to play I'm sure I would have given up like 3 years ago.

if you were a soccer player but the only time you ever got to play you had to play against who ever was the current world champion, trust me, you'd give up eventually.

Poor Competitive Brawl though. a promising game that was never given a chance and will probably die because of it.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I personally would be ecstatic if I was able to play m2k as much as I wanted...he could teach me so much.

Also I'm fairly sure brawl has had more than a chance? It's been over a year now.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
losing + not feeling hopeless = get better at smash
Quoted for truth. You have to stay open-minded and constantly look for ways to better yourself, whether you win or lose. You also should be attempting to have fun regardless of it.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I've become largely indifferent about Brawl's metagame. If he gets banned then he gets banned. Brawl has gotten incredibly boring for me, both to watch and play. I picked up Meta Knight after Genesis because I'm tired of losing, and I don't really care any more.

If Smash Up is good, which is doubtful, I'll probably stop playing Brawl for the most part.
;_;

We can still play Patapon and TMNT: the Tournament Fighters when I come over, right?

I completely understand where George and T1J are coming from about melee. I feel like I came seriously late on the game when I play some of the vets. The main reason I play today is the same reason I play in a lot of competitions--to pit myself against the sheer talent I find in the game. There are always those better than myself, but to eventually become a match to said people is a thrill for me.

That said I just got double 3 stocked by Fullmetal and SleepyK in my last melee tournament lol.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Melee was better when everyone wasn't so technical and *****y about every little detail about. Thats when I lost interest in it and played for fun. Since Brawl only has few ATs to learn (DACUS, Glide Toss, etc.), it goes at a smooth and confortable pace.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
My favorite part of smash is doing things that make my opponent go "WTF that was awesome!" My second favorite part is my opponents doing things to me that elicit a similar reaction.

Learn to love getting destroyed. Help stop ****: consent.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I personally would be ecstatic if I was able to play m2k as much as I wanted...he could teach me so much.
Thats because you know what it feels like to win. So you have a reason to want to learn new things.
Also I'm fairly sure brawl has had more than a chance? It's been over a year now.
Yeah, and Kasumi Ninja for the Atari Jaguar has been out for fifteen years. That doesn't mean anyone ever gave it a chance as a competitive fighting game (Not to say that it was good or anything lol just making a point). I'm pretty sure you, as well as pretty much everyone else wrote Brawl off within about two months of its release. Then after that the community spent all their time learning footstool infinites and stalling techniques because who cares about actually taking the game seriously. greatjob.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I will admit that I love playing IHSB. He always does cool stuff in our matches, and we seem to get paired up every tournament I enter.

Cheap, I think Dingle and I are coming over. I'm not sure about T1J and Nu, though.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I never win when i fight moogle and joot, but I'm happy that I can at least do well against moogle in Marth dittos, just cuz he's uncomfortable with that matchup. Oh snap, the secret's out!!! :O

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I never win when i fight moogle and joot, but I'm happy that I can at least do well against moogle in Marth dittos, just cuz he's uncomfortable with that matchup. Oh snap, the secret's out!!! :O
yesss now I can beat andy

edit: I heart playing with jack too. Pretty much all of DML tbh.

j00t

Smash Champion
I <3 not playing awfully and missing techchases. :/ i.e. not doing awesome stuff.
I also <3 playing consistently, but I guess that's a condition for the above to happen.

Other than that.... Melee is pretty amazing.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Thats because you know what it feels like to win. So you have a reason to want to learn new things.
I didn't win any sort of tournament for like, a looong time. I pretty much remember getting destroyed consistently by pretty much every player at the innsomnia bi-weeklies. My first thought though? "Yes!! People who play smash as much as I do! Hoooly hell, I want to get as good as them!". I continued to learn why I lost and figured out how to cope with the weaknesses of my character and began to finally do better and even beat people who I once thought were completely unstoppable.

I didn't even make it out of pools at Innsomnia 3 I don't believe (sheik johns). My reason to get better and learn isn't because I know what it's like to win, it's because I love the game and I love to see my progress. I can say with confidence that even after playing Melee for 4 years, I still learn new stuff and I have so much more to improve on.

Yeah, and Kasumi Ninja for the Atari Jaguar has been out for fifteen years. That doesn't mean anyone ever gave it a chance as a competitive fighting game (Not to say that it was good or anything lol just making a point).
I don't even know what Kazumi Ninja is, apparently it's a fighting game? If I had played it and it was a deep game then sure maybe this would make sense as an analogy but as is I don't understand what this has to do with anything. A LOT more people have been playing Brawl and given it a chance and been figuring out the successful strategies that win games.

I'm pretty sure you, as well as pretty much everyone else wrote Brawl off within about two months of its release. Then after that the community spent all their time learning footstool infinites and stalling techniques because who cares about actually taking the game seriously. greatjob.
I don't get it. Are we the chosen ones that were destined to revolutionize Brawl's metagame into something more than what it is now? I don't see how us deciding not to play brawl caused the game not to develop further when there's still a huge fanbase for brawl. I mean, I don't see you playing bottom tier characters or trying to find other characters who could change the way Brawl is played now so who are you to judge me?

Aznseal

Smash Apprentice
loL@the posting rankings xD

Guys, i just called Cheap and he's having a melee fest tomarrow. I wanted to smash with him today but he has a brawlfest :(

GO TO HIS HOUSE TMR >:O

Russ, have it in the morning or afternoon because i have church at night >_>

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
Trying to catch up to melee is hard, but hopefully not impossible. It will take a good amount of good, consistent practice. I know this because I have played quite a bit of melee inconsistently (on and off, with months in between periods of playing) and badly (practicing the wrong things, getting set in bad habits, and not thinking while I play). A couple of my friends and I started playing again this summer for the last two months. I may not be that good of a player, but here's what I've learned if any Brawl players are interested in trying to learn Melee:

To learn to play, you need to know what you're weakest in. I've often practiced the wrong thing or neglected another completely. There are 3 parts to Melee:

Tech skill - the physical ability to use a character's moves and skills. Ranging from being able to preform a simple uptilt to being able to waveshine someone. Spacing is also a tech skill IMO.

Strategy - reading your opponent and their character. It is a very general idea you are trying to implement. For example, you're playing a marth using sheik and your stategy is to play defensively. Or maybe you're playing as jiggs and want to camp a lot during the match. Or maybe you're playing marth against a falcon, and you decide you want to stay close against him on the ground, so he can't fair as easily. You can learn plenty of strategies here on each character's smashboards about match-ups. How you mix up your approaches is another example of strategy.

Tactics - what to do in specific situations. For example, you're marth and you upthrow a falco at a low percent. Your tactic in this situation is to: if he DI's behind you, you uptilt. if he DI's in front of you, you regrab him. if he DI's away, you forward smash or chase him. Another example, you're playing fox with marth at a middlish percentage, and he upthrows you. You know he'll probably try to hit you with an upair right after, so you know to DI away and through out a Fair as quickly as possible to stop him.

Tactics are the most important part of the game I believe. Tech skill and strategy can open up better tactics for you. They give you the ability to combo and defend/avoid. Practicing tactics requires you to have another person to play with and thinking about what you're doing and why. After a while, you can create good, habitual tactics. It's hard to react fast in situations and come up with what to do every time. Even watching videos only allows you to see what happens in one case. You might see a good Marth player upthrow someone and then uptilt, but you didn't learn what to do if the other player DI'd a different way. Or if they were at a different percentage. Or even if the stage was different and there was a platform above them.

Anyway, those are the parts I've been working on while playing with a few of my friends over the last couple of months and I've seen a decent bit of progress. These all may seem obvious and very general, but it's suprising how often one area will be neglected and how disorganized a person's praticing will end up. Yeah, anyway, Good luck playing! It is hard, but who cares as long as you're enjoying it.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
if you were a soccer player but the only time you ever got to play you had to play against who ever was the current world champion, trust me, you'd give up eventually.

"HEY GUY IN MIDDLE SCHOOL IN THE 1990S WHEN SPACE JAM CAME OUT AND MICHAEL JORDAN WAS A LIVING GOD, YOU WANT TO PLAY VS MICHAEL JORDAN IN BASKETBALL EVERY DAY AND LEARN FROM HIM? YOU'D GET THE BEST EXPERIENCE IN THE WORLD BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AND YOU'D IMPROVE BECAUSE HE'D BE SHOWING YOU HOW TO DO THINGS WITH HIS EXISTING KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE AND PUNISHING YOU FOR YOUR MISTAKES"

Brawl: "nah, I don't like losing."

are you serious? when i was playing soccer in middle school, I would have donated every organ in my body TWICE to be able to train with the likes of Ronaldo.

every time i'd have to 1 on 1 him in a serious competitive aspect it would have been like a test of what I had learned.

but no, of course, you have to win for something to be fun. my b.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I don't get it. Are we the chosen ones that were destined to revolutionize Brawl's metagame into something more than what it is now? I don't see how us deciding not to play brawl caused the game not to develop further when there's still a huge fanbase for brawl. I mean, I don't see you playing bottom tier characters or trying to find other characters who could change the way Brawl is played now so who are you to judge me?
Never said you were, all I said is that everyone hastily wrote off a game that had potential and it will probably die because of that. *shrugs*.

And I don't know if you've noticed but I've been shouting my *** off about how Brawl is a deep game and trying to explain this to people pretty much since the game came out.

But, as I said, you all made up your mind about 45 days after the game came out. so *shrugs* whatever. just a game. I'll learn chess or something.

btw the point of bringing up kasumi ninja was to say that pointing out how long a game has been out is irrelevant to whether or not the community game it a chance. Just because people play Brawl doesn't mean they take it seriously (hint: they don't. that's why our whole metagame revolves around stupid **** like pikachu footstool infinites that we for some reason keep legal)

"HEY GUY IN MIDDLE SCHOOL IN THE 1990S WHEN SPACE JAM CAME OUT AND MICHAEL JORDAN WAS A LIVING GOD, YOU WANT TO PLAY VS MICHAEL JORDAN IN BASKETBALL EVERY DAY AND LEARN FROM HIM? YOU'D GET THE BEST EXPERIENCE IN THE WORLD BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD AND YOU'D IMPROVE BECAUSE HE'D BE SHOWING YOU HOW TO DO THINGS WITH HIS EXISTING KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE AND PUNISHING YOU FOR YOUR MISTAKES"

Brawl: "nah, I don't like losing."

are you serious? when i was playing soccer in middle school, I would have donated every organ in my body TWICE to be able to train with the likes of Ronaldo.

every time i'd have to 1 on 1 him in a serious competitive aspect it would have been like a test of what I had learned.

but no, of course, you have to win for something to be fun. my b.

obv "training" is different than "playing against someone and getting owned everytime". But okay I guess you all are different than me. playing a game and not being able to so much as move because I'm getting combo'd across the screen isn't fun to me.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Melee is amazing.

Brawl is fun if you play it right. Ask Reflex, he's months and years ahead of the curve as far as this is concerned.

Top Bottom