• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah Sensai, coming to tourneys is good. At this rate i'll be in before you! hoo ha :p

Man dude, I was disappointed you didn't come to the weekly, Sensai. I wanted to play you so bad for some reason. I got to play Coach once or twice, and then we played team battles and item battles. Woulda been better with a Ganon in there, I suppose. >>

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Thief's tournament (that Coach referenced) is in Tuscaloosa on April 14. The tournament's not posted on smashboards, but Coach posted a Facebook link above.
Could someone give me the details on that tourney? Tuscaloosa's only about 2.5 hours from here and it's all interstate, so I'd probably be interested in going unless it's like five people.

You Alabama kids need to make new threads when you have tourneys so out-of-staters like me can know about them. I usually don't feel like digging through state threads for obscurely referenced tournaments.

Eh, nevermind, I found the Facebook link.

Why isn't it on Smashboards? Do they just want UA people in it or something?

coach

Smash Apprentice
i didnt mean to step on thief's shoes with this one, but i think he's trying to start up a community there. get people interested etc.

E

Exemcee

Exemcee, do you want someone's number? How are we even going to get in touch with you?
I swapped numbers with Coach, and I asked him for some addresses to MapQuest.

Why isn't it on Smashboards? Do they just want UA people in it or something?
Thief didn't want to restrict it to UA people, but he didn't advertise it on Smashboards because Tuscaloosa doesn't have any other tournament players except him. He'd like to get a scene started, but he thinks (and rightly so) that if a bunch of tournament players come in from out of state and stomp all of the casual players then they won't want to play in any more tournaments.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Thief didn't want to restrict it to UA people, but he didn't advertise it on Smashboards because Tuscaloosa doesn't have any other tournament players except him. He'd like to get a scene started, but he thinks (and rightly so) that if a bunch of tournament players come in from out of state and stomp all of the casual players then they won't want to play in any more tournaments.
Well I'm in Madison, MS, and there are maybe two tournament-going Smashers in the greater Jackson area, including me. There are rarely tournaments closer than 4 - 5 hours from here so I'd really like to go to this one.

And I'm not that good. I didn't even make it out of pools the last tourney I went to. Thief is probably a much scarier player.

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah, Thief goes RAWR and everyone goes running away. I'm quite terrified of him myself. xD

coach

Smash Apprentice
Change me to Peach/Sheik. Everyone else is dead to me. *flips hair over one eye*

edit: Also let this be the formal change of smash wednesdays is at my place and smash on saturdays is at moogles. We talked and came to the agreement that we should atleast split it up. It may change based on situations, but we'll use it as a general schedule. This saturday I get off work around 2 so what time should we show up to start smashing moogle?

j00t

Smash Champion
Sounds good to me. It would be best if either coach or moogle posted a new thread about it, seeing as it is not at UAH anymore.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully soon ill have a smash community going over here in Florence and in the muscle shoals area. All we have in Florence are me and Scrappy, but i have a friend by the name Farsoul ( moogle would prob remeber him ) whos ganna try and get a smash community going and hopefully if all works out well we can come to some of those weekly house smashes.

Sensai

Smash Master
Yay. The Smash scene is being reborn!
Coach said:
Change me to Peach/Sheik. Everyone else is dead to me. *flips hair over one eye*
Best thing you've ever said.

And Sheik? C'mon....

Oh well, at least it gives me another Sheik player to practice against. This way when I go to tournaments I may stand a chance.

moogle

Smash Ace
@coach: I think we'll do the usual 2-6pm timeslot on Saturday.

@JWT: I might just keep the Huntsville smashfests within the Alabama thread, and put it on the first page. I guess my reasoning is that they're at a private location now (my house / coach's apt) rather than a public place. If more people think there should be a separate topic for it, then I'll make it.

@Tarnish: Look a couple pages back (page 47?)... a new Florence smasher appeared. :p His name is Wolfshade.

@Sensai: If you don't come this Saturday, you're officially kicked out of the Huntsville Smash Club™ (due to inactivity). :grin:

coach

Smash Apprentice
@coach: I think we'll do the usual 2-6pm timeslot on Saturday.

@JWT: I might just keep the Huntsville smashfests within the Alabama thread, and put it on the first page. I guess my reasoning is that they're at a private location now (my house / coach's apt) rather than a public place. If more people think there should be a separate topic for it, then I'll make it.
ok moogle and yes I wouldnt really like to publicize an event that takes place in my residence. It's really hard to find a public location that is free to play smash at besides a residence in huntsville.

Sensai

Smash Master
Moogle, I honestly don't think I can come this Saturday...

I have to do some church thing that night (I'm the son of a priest), and I can't shake the feeling that I have something else to do that same day.

DON'T KICK ME OUT.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
My bad Sensai I'm going to try to make it there, it's just it's a biweekly here every week, if its not in Mobile its Fort Walton and vice-versa, or its a huge tourney. But I'm try as hard as I can to make it up there so I can play you and the rest of you guys up there.

coach

Smash Apprentice
The only one who could ever reach me
Was the son of a preacher man
The only boy who could ever teach me
Was the son of a preacher man
Yes he was, yes he was
Oh, yes he was

j00t

Smash Champion
moogle: yeah, I just thought about that after I had posted, and I didn't feel like editing the post. >.<

I'll really try to get a reservation for some room in either the UAH dorms or a room in the University Center, but I just don't know where to go to start a club or anything. >.<

But hooray, we found another place to play smash. Too bad i'm coming down with bronchitis and can't make it this weekend. Sorry guys. >.<

j00t

Smash Champion
I think Sensai's been trying to avoid me.

The only time I can't make it and you change your mind and say you can. I hope I get better by tomorrow so I can see your next post.

"Oh, well, sorry guys, it looks like I really CANT make it." That'll be the post after my post saying that I am able to go. :p

Sensai

Smash Master
Haha, JWT, I'm not avoiding you. In fact, I'm looking forward to trying a chain-throw against you G/W. Or your Fox.

I've looked up a bit of new info about Ganon, and I'm anxious to try it out. Get better.

Solitaire

Smash Cadet
What's Solitaire going to do?
This Saturday is a no for me. Other saturdays will all be spontaneous if I'm able to go. It will be good news for one of my friends that there will be smashing on the weekend(he's in high school and his mom won't let him go on Wednesdays; poop on curfews.).

j00t

Smash Champion
Chain throw? Against G/W? I call Shenanigans! But yeah, i'm able to go. I'm feeling better today so i'll try to make it.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
I dont know about chain throwing G&W, he's pretty light and plus his tech is real good if you can time it just right ( belive me i know from exp ).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm in highschool, too. It'd be cool if I ended up knowing him.

And I'm about to leave my house, I swear.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
I figured i'd leave a post for wolfshade telling him to check his PM's so that we can get together and play some smash soon.

Sensai

Smash Master
zomg my Ganon can rock a TON of people.

NONE of them are Sheik. And now I wanna play some more. We should play some....MORE.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Hell i wanna play more too but all i have in florence right now is scrappy, and mainly all i do to play smash now is practicing my comboing on lvl 1 comps cause lvl 9's are "A" whores.

j00t

Smash Champion
I wish I was good.

On another note, I wish I didn't suck.

On another note.... iono. All I can practice is my tech. My mindgames are horrible. >.<

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

/agreed

Get better mindgames. Your tech is more then good enough.

And attention to all: the way to beat a Fox with Ganon is through jabbing. That's all.

Oh, wait, I figured out how to beat Sheik with Ganon. It's really easy, too. All you have to do is -

/lightning bolted.

coach

Smash Apprentice
Also let this be the formal change of smash wednesdays is at my place and smash on saturdays is at moogles. We talked and came to the agreement that we should atleast split it up. It may change based on situations, but we'll use it as a general schedule. This saturday I get off work around 2 so what time should we show up to start smashing moogle?
thread reading go!

E

Exemcee

So...I was beat consecutively for four hours on Saturday, and all I got in advice is, "Marth can fair twice in a short hop." I can't help but think that the unsaid implication is: advice won't help 'cause I'm just that bad.

I don't mean to imply that I didn't expect to get whipped the entire time, but I don't really feel like I got better at all. It seems like it was a day's worth of DI practice.

Can anyone point out something I can fix, so I can feel justified?

j00t

Smash Champion
To me, it seems like you know none of the advanced techniques and what they are used for. Maybe you do know what they are, but you do not incorporate them into your gameplay. A good start is to, well, learn what the advanced techs are and use them. Since you are a Marth player, a good place to start is the Marth boards (In the Character Specific board) and read the guides there.

And besides, you said that you weren't good at smash because "I have a life." You know that that is a load of crap. Stop making Johns and read up on the advanced techs and practice them. After that, practice mindgames against a human opponent.

moogle

Smash Ace
Dash-dancing and grabbing are probably the most important things to learn for Marth. Now, what to do after you throw someone is a more difficult question.

Sometimes you just can't follow-up after a Marth throw... especially at higher percents. Don't worry about it too much. Grabbing your opponent a lot can disrupt their playstyle... it helps you keep control in the match. As you get more experienced with Marth, you learn when you can follow up with another attack.

Marth loves to f-throw to f-smash on light-to-medium weight characters, at anywhere from 0% to maybe 70%. If they don't DI left or right, they will often get tippered. Just try to c-stick an f-smash as fast as possible... the animation for Marth's f-throw ends sooner than you'd think. Then again, if they DI away from you, then you usually can't hit with f-smash... you just need to throw quickly sometimes and catch them before they DI.

Other times, f-throw to f-air or n-air can work. Marth has few options after grabbing vs. a floaty character above 100%. Though, a plain up-tilt starts killing floaties a little above 100%.

Against Fox and Falco (and sometimes Falcon), you almost always want to up-throw. That can lead to another grab (0-45%), up-tilt (20-60%), f-smash (50-80%), n-air (60-120%), etc.. You have a lot of options here... experiment and find out what you like to use. And those percents are very rough estimates.

Other advice:

Practice edgeguarding with f-smash or d-tilt. Don't stand too close to the ledge when edgeguarding.... just close enough to tipper them if they try to grab the ledge. Marth is probably the best edgeguarder in the game when it comes to standing/walking at the ledge and reacting to your opponent's jump or up-b.

Against Sheik and Fox and almost anyone, you really really don't want to get grabbed. Sheik especially will wreck you with grabs. Dash dance around and look for openings and grab them instead.

Don't use d-air until you can L-cancel it. :p

Until you get used to wavedashing and dash cancelling, walking isn't that bad of an idea. Walk-to-fsmash is broken. ;)

Speaking of dash cancelling... to do it, while dashing, smash down on the control stick, and you'll revert to a standing or crouching position. This is the best way to do d-smashes on the run... so characters like Peach and Sheik love it. Dash cancel to f-smash is alright, though I prefer wavedash to f-smash with Marth.

Marth's best moves are f-smash, grab, and f-air... in about that order. Use and abuse them! Up-tilt is also up there.

Final statement! Marth's game is very dependent on your ability to watch and predict your opponent. Comparatively, Falco's isn't. He prefers a more brute-force approach. You won't win many games with Marth if your plan is to run directly at your opponent and attack.

That was a lot of text. >_< If you yearn for more Marth advice, look around the Marth boards:
http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

E

Exemcee

And besides, you said that you weren't good at smash because "I have a life." You know that that is a load of crap.
At what point did I say I had a life? I've been playing Smash 2-3 hours a day since INN V so I'd be halfway decent for the tournament here; if skipping class/work to play Smash isn't a prime example of NOT having a life, then I'm not sure what definition of "life" you're taking.

To me, it seems like you know none of the advanced techniques and what they are used for.
I know all of the advanced techniques (at least, those listed in the trio of video tutorials and the official everything thread) and am proficient (against a lvl 1 CPU) in most of them. It's another matter to try it against human players--you saw what happened Saturday. The only tournament player at UA that I play with is Thief, and he does about the same thing to me, except sometimes with ICs.

The question was more, what specifically did I do wrong repeatedly while playing that anyone noticed? And the question was geared more towards people that I played. The bad thing about singles loser out is that the worst people there never play each other.

Also, I didn't expect to get advice from:

I wish I was good.

On another note, I wish I didn't suck.

On another note.... iono. All I can practice is my tech. My mindgames are horrible. >.<
Instead of complaining, I ask for advice, and I get bashed?:ohwell:

Thanks moogle! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Wolfshade

Smash Rookie
Hey tarn and scrap: I'M pretty good at organizing stuff and there are about 10-12 people at UNA who play smash ( although i can say they aren't too great at it) and they have a tourney like once a semester. I'm pretty sure i can work some magic and maybe start up a smash weekly/ bi-weekly once i get my apartment in Florence if ya would like?

Sensai

Smash Master
Exemcee: Sorry, didn't realize you wanted advice. My bad...but, Moogle beat me to the punch. So, nothing really left to say...

I mean no offense when I say this, but both you and JWT need to work on mindgaming your opponent (that is probably the most overused word in a Smasher's vocab....). For the most part, it's easy to discern where you're going next and what you're going to do once you get there.

On another note, I can't make it on Saturday....probably. Very very small chance.

Wolfshade

Smash Rookie
*throws shuriken at sensai!!*

THINK FAST!!!!

and have even faster reflexes.
what you don't know is that i never threw the shuriken..... BUT you thought i did didn't you!!!

that's called mindgames bwahaha!!
........ i wish i was good at the games of the mind.....

Top Bottom