• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Airdodge = Save?

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
Is it true that airdodging stops some of your momentum and can actually save you a life? Ive been using it whenever im at a high percent and its saved me a few times. Anyone else think this?

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
nope. airdodging after you've been hit helps you to jump sooner, and jumping while holding a direction away from the wall helps to slow down your momentum.

airdodging, in and of itself, has no effect. that's what i've been told anyway. who knows. maybe i was lied to.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I've save my *** using airdodge many times. I first discovered it when fighting a level 9 Marth on Hyrule Temple. I was Samus, fighting him on the bottom part of the stage, and whenever I hit him with a Smash attack that knocked him off the ceiling, he air dodged to completely stop his momentum and prevent himself from being ceiling spiked. I didn't believe that it was possible, thinking that the computer got lucky, so I did it again and again and again, and I got the same result, no elimination because Marth used the airdodge to stop his momentum. From then, I've been using it ever since. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you gotta at least tried it. Make you look like a recovery beast when you do it on a consistent basis.

I'm guessing that the airdodge > jump or airdodge > attack concept is what actually slows your momentum down, but I would like someone to fight a level 9 Marth on Hyrule Temple, take him to the basement, as I like to call it, smack him up the ceiling a couple of times and see what he does. Maybe I imagined it...

xDarkElement

Smash Journeyman
For the people who didnt understand, I was saying, lets say you get hit from a fmash at like 40%, and your on the verge of the wall of life and death, If you airdodge right after you get hit, cant it slow down your momentum, thus saving you. I know this works for mr. g&w alot, practically saves him from every blow.

Doval

Smash Lord
Air dodges and aerials have NO effect on your speed if your character is still "caught" in the attack's knockback (i.e. you're not free falling yet.) Absolutely no effect, I mean it.

However, if you got hit so hard that you might die from the side, then air dodging will let you jump sooner (because the air dodge took you out of the attack's stun), and using your mid-air jump forward DOES slow you down. So airdodge (or any quick aerial, but few aerials last less than an air dodge) and then jump immediately if you want to survive longer. See this thread.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
You guys who are saying it saves you..how do you know you wouldn't have died if you didn't airdodge?!.... As far as I know, airdodge has absolutely no effect on reducing momentum from a smash...if I airdodged (usually by habit) and I didn't die...I probably wouldn't say it was because of the airdodge. I was probably not gonna get KO'd by the move anyway.. the only thing that helps is your initial DI..other than that you're crossing your fingers buddy...

And in Melee doing fairs actually did propel you forward just a tiny bit...that's why you saw some people spam fair in order to get that little oomph to get back to the stage. As for Brawl..I have no idea if aerials have any effect on your momentum other than the obvious ones...(Rob's b-air for instance)

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Go to the compilation of techs and discoveries and see what it has to say, people. Air dodging doesn't save you.

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
I'm almost sure that it can save you. I've just saveed my life more dozens of times by doing that.
Somebody hit you and sent you flying. Use the airdodge and you stop flying on that direction.

Doval

Smash Lord
I'm almost sure that it can save you. I've just saveed my life more dozens of times by doing that.
Somebody hit you and sent you flying. Use the airdodge and you stop flying on that direction.
Believe me, it doesn't. Try it yourself in Training Mode. Find the lowest % possible where your character will die from a certain attack, then get hit with that attack and try air dodging. You'll still die.

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty shure airdodging can save you when you're about to get knocked off the stage. It actually cancels some of your character's momentum, so it can really help for recovery. I use it all the time.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
air dodging does save... and for the guy who said "how do you know you would die?" simple from playing any smash game i think you'd know just how far a death is... air dodging doesnt take off all of the momentum but it does release a significant amount of it... if you play competetively EVERYONE does it and its not for the earlier jump because you save the jump for later... so you can recover better.. -_- stop tryna tell ppl it doesnt work if you dont know.. how bout you try it for yourself

Doval

Smash Lord
ShengNu, no.

A long time ago, people thought the Earth was flat. Even thinkers and philosophers. I mean, it looks flat. Doesn't mean it's not wrong.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't save ****. It doesn't slow you down, it doesn't change your direction.
You guys who say it does. GO TO TRAINING MODE AND TRY IT OUT YOURSELF.
Don't touch the control stick, and just airdodge when you are sent flying and see how much it doesn't do anything.

With all the people claiming that it does, we are in dire need of an epic facepalm picture in this thread.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
try fighting a level 9 CPU Marth on Hyrule Temple, take him to the bottom area, hit him with a Smash attack that sends him into the ceiling, and tell me what happens.

It's either one of two things: airdodging keeps you from getting spiked down by the ceiling, or airdodging really does keep you from dying.

But you know what, I actually have a good feel for airdodging to slow my momentum, so whether someone says it does or it doesn't, I'm a keep doing it until the physics of Brawl changes. It seems to be an inexact science to me, but when C. Falcon hits Sonic with a Falcon Punch and I can airdodge to avoid elimination, you gotta know that something is up. Airdodging does something... but exactly what seems to be the issue. Like I said, I'm a keep doing it.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
Air dodging takes you out of technical "hit momentum" and sticks you into "going really fast towards the death wall momentum". What's saving you is the part where you can do things (like jump) which change your momentum completely to avoid death. If you don't do anything after your air dodge you will explode and rain delicious candy down for all the kids (I made that last part up).

salaboB

Smash Champion
try fighting a level 9 CPU Marth on Hyrule Temple, take him to the bottom area, hit him with a Smash attack that sends him into the ceiling, and tell me what happens.

It's either one of two things: airdodging keeps you from getting spiked down by the ceiling, or airdodging really does keep you from dying.
Is he air dodging or wall teching?

Computers are *beasts* at teching, if you smack them off a wall they'll almost always tech and that does remove their momentum.

Your insistence on being in the enclosed part of hyrule makes me think it's a wall tech and has nothing to do with air dodging.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
In my experiences, air-dodging DEFINITELY helps reduce the knockback of any attack that makes you fly off the edge, and I use it all the time.

Of course, when you have enough damage and get hit NOTHING can save you, but if you have a low enough percentage, you can certainly help yourself out.

Achelion

Smash Cadet
I don't know exactly what affect it has, but I'm pretty sure air dodge in SOME form helps prevent horizontal KO.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
Okay, not to sound stuck up, but you're ALL wrong. But all right at the same time ;)

Airdodging after getting hit by an attack does not slow your momentum WHATSOEVER.
What slows your momentum is the DI after the airdodge.

Think of it this way:
Airdodge gets you out of the tumbling animation.
During the tumbling animation, you can't DI.
So the sooner you airdodge, the sooner your character gets out of his tumbling animation, thus allowing you to DI sooner.

That's it.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
omen. Read more posts.

Besides, Im pretty sure you can DI while tumbling, I do it when I feel lazy coming back down after being thrown around a bit. You dont fall straight down.

In any way, airdodge does not affect your momentum.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
All aridodging does is stop you from tumbling, then you can do whatever to try and stop from dieing, basically,if I drop you from an airplane, no matter what you did, you would be unable to remove that momentum without touching another object.(drag is exempt, you are in a vacuum).
In Brawl, you gradually lose momentum, airdodging will not speed up to process, DIing will alter your trajectory, which will basically save you.
Basically, the airdodging cancels your tumble, not momentum, then you can DI.

Doval

Smash Lord
Guh. This is seriously frustrating.

NPCs don't collide against walls when they air dodge because to collide against a wall, you need to be in a state of knockback, or in a jump state. You can't collide against surfaces while attacking, or air dodging, or doing any move for that matter.

Air Dodge has NO. EFFECT. WHATSOEVER. ON YOUR KNOCKBACK. Seriously, people. Stop saying "from my experience this," "I've observed that," "it's obvious that..." It takes all of 30 seconds to test this in Training Mode.

And no, you can't "DI" (moving in the air is not DI) earlier by air dodging. Even though you'll be unstunned sooner than you're supposed to, you're still forced to travel the attack's usual knockback.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It doesn't affect your momentum at all as people have been saying. It just takes you out of tumbling animation. You should still be doing it when you get hit though because it means you don't have to tech when you land which means you're less predictable upon landing.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I saw a guy using Airdodge + DI, and that worked very well. One time, everybody said "What ? He was died normally !"...

KingMak

Smash Cadet
This is slightly different, but what if an Ivysaur was smashed directly upwards, but at the last moment used and uair. Wouldn't that cancel everything and keep him alive?

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I've save my *** using airdodge many times. I first discovered it when fighting a level 9 Marth on Hyrule Temple. I was Samus, fighting him on the bottom part of the stage, and whenever I hit him with a Smash attack that knocked him off the ceiling, he air dodged to completely stop his momentum and prevent himself from being ceiling spiked. I didn't believe that it was possible, thinking that the computer got lucky, so I did it again and again and again, and I got the same result, no elimination because Marth used the airdodge to stop his momentum. From then, I've been using it ever since. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you gotta at least tried it. Make you look like a recovery beast when you do it on a consistent basis.

I'm guessing that the airdodge > jump or airdodge > attack concept is what actually slows your momentum down, but I would like someone to fight a level 9 Marth on Hyrule Temple, take him to the basement, as I like to call it, smack him up the ceiling a couple of times and see what he does. Maybe I imagined it...
You didn't imagine it. I was doing some 2v2s with my friend and some level nines, and the computers did that every time, which is a pain since that's where I hang out on that level.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Air dodge does slow you down in mid-air or does something to keep you from dieing (dodgeing the kill line?), i've been Fsmashed by Ike and I had 173% damage and didn't die because i hit dodge right after he hit me. (I have more!)

Doval, show me proof or shut the heck up. every person on my friend list now does air dodges to save themself (copycats!) at high %'s.

Miller

Smash Lord
Your all ****ing idiots, AIRDODGING DOES NOT SAVE YOU, AND GOOD PLAYER WILL TELL YOU THIS. SUPERDOODLEMAN HAS ALSO CONFIRMED IT DOESNT WORK, SO DONT EVEN BOTHER

paSTAR

Smash Cadet
Don't mistake "Air dodging" against a wall will result in a tech, which WILL cancel momentum.

I'm pretty sure you can't DI out of an air dodge, which is why when you air dodge you can't change direction.

Air dodge gets you out of a tumbling animation.

Air dodge does not reduce momentum.

Doval

Smash Lord
This is slightly different, but what if an Ivysaur was smashed directly upwards, but at the last moment used and uair. Wouldn't that cancel everything and keep him alive?
No. Aerials won't stop an attack's knockback. Lucario would be indestructible if they did.
Doval, show me proof or shut the heck up. every person on my friend list now does air dodges to save themself (copycats!) at high %'s.
How about you test it yourself, you nitwit? I'm not going to do the work for you, and much less with that attitude. It doesn't take a genius to realize that if a certain attack starts to kill a certain character at a certain %, and you still die at that % with an air dodge, it doesn't help.
Don't mistake "Air dodging" against a wall will result in a tech, which WILL cancel momentum.
Air dodging into a wall only results in a tech if you do it within the timing for teching. If you do it early, your character will simply "stick" to the wall or ceiling until the attack's knockback runs its course.
I'm pretty sure you can't DI out of an air dodge, which is why when you air dodge you can't change direction.
You can't fastfall, but under normal circumstances you CAN move left or right (this is not DI) during an air dodge. However, the game doesn't let you move if you're still in the attack's knockback.

Top Bottom