• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Airdodge = Save?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
why is this so difficult for some people?

-you get hit, you DI w/e direction you want.
-smash DI is more effective than regular DI
-airdodging doesn't affect your momentum unless you're hit into a wall.
-you get hit into a wall, you stop your momentum through teching.
-you get hit into a wall, and you tech early, you'll just "stick" as Doval put it.

simple.

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
ShengNu, no.

A long time ago, people thought the Earth was flat. Even thinkers and philosophers. I mean, it looks flat. Doesn't mean it's not wrong.

that was one of the most pathetic and useless examples ive ever heard rofl

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
well, it unmistakeingly does sonething strange to keep me from dieing at 200% (from direct hits).

And Doval I have my proof, show me yours. or better yet let's ask sakurai!
I will not belive that it does noting untill i see irrifutable proof that overrides my own.

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
well, it unmistakeingly does sonething strange to keep me from dieing at 200% (from direct hits).

And Doval I have my proof, show me yours. or better yet let's ask sakurai!
I will not belive that it does noting untill i see irrifutable proof that overrides my own.
That's not proof at all. I survived at over 200% from direct hits when playing with my friends even without air-dodging.

Seriously, it's not hard to do it yourself. Simply get two controllers, go into training, C-stick a smash while someone else DIs normally. Then do the same except add in an air-dodge. There will be no difference.

Make sure it's training mode, as in ordinary Brawls reused attacks diminish in both damage and knock-back.

Doval

Smash Lord
We've been over this, Killer-Katnip.
1) Anecdotes aren't proof.
2) Your anecdotes, even if I were to believe them, don't suggest in any way that air dodging does something.
3) It takes like 30 seconds to test. STOP BEING LAZY AND TEST IT YOURSELF.
4) It's your loss if you want to believe the wrong things.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
YES PLEASE. GOD****. The stupidity on this thread is amazing. Make the vid, prove to everyone air dodge does nothing.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, all the people who think that airdodging saves you, go to training mode, find the exact percent at which you die, then try airdodging at that part. It takes ONE MINUTE to do this, so please try it out before posting "based on your experience".

jesterlolz

Smash Rookie
I got a question. Would down+b with kirby work better than jumping? Or does jumping completely eliminate your horizontal momentum?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
@Doval: I haven't tested this myself, but a move that has its own momentum (i.e. Zamus' downB, Diddy's sideB) would save you if used, correct?

Doval

Smash Lord
I got a question. Would down+b with kirby work better than jumping? Or does jumping completely eliminate your horizontal momentum?
Jumping doesn't completely eliminate horizontal momentum, but it slows you down a good deal, and more importantly, it's as instant as things get (1 frame.) Down B is too slow.
@Doval: I haven't tested this myself, but a move that has its own momentum (i.e. Zamus' downB, Diddy's sideB) would save you if used, correct?
Zero Suit Samus's Down B is basically a more horizontal jump (it even activates in 1 frame.) It does work better than her normal jump. I wouldn't know about Diddy - it looks like it's got too much start-up time and not enough horizontal speed to me.

This is all assuming you're air dodging so you can act sooner. Which is the only use the air dodge has when you get smacked hard.

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
Its just one of those habits i mean who cares obviously you use it while your heading either to top or side if it helps thats good, if it doesn't your mind tells ya it did lol... it probably wont effect you too much if it didnt considering you can do it multiple times now.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
it really doesnt save you but you do it anyway @_@
its better than doing nothing

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
Doval, what do you suggest for a character like Sonic? Let's say he's being Usmashed. From what I've seen his airdodge lasts a pretty long time, while his Dair allows him to halt his momentum and plummet downwards.

So basically, with characters who have a (seemingly) long air dodge, would it be better to skip the airdodge and try for an aerial with special properties (Sonic's Dair, Samus' Dair)?

Also, for everybody who insists on believing airdodging alone saves you: by all means, continue. Just easier kills for me. :)

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum, i'm not convinced at all...

Oh yes, i wans convainced, but two minits ago, a DK saved himself with an Airdodge O-O

He was ~90%, him and me were on the left side of FD. I did a Fsmash, he did something in the same time. He did an Airdodge immediatly and... OO He stopped in air very soon ! He didn't go beyond the screen limit oO

Doval

Smash Lord
Doval, what do you suggest for a character like Sonic? Let's say he's being Usmashed. From what I've seen his airdodge lasts a pretty long time, while his Dair allows him to halt his momentum and plummet downwards.

So basically, with characters who have a (seemingly) long air dodge, would it be better to skip the airdodge and try for an aerial with special properties (Sonic's Dair, Samus' Dair)?
I don't have access to my Wii right now, but I doubt any character has an air dodge that lasts so long that you wouldn't be able to act sooner not using it, than using it. Also, aerials won't affect your knockback. Even if the d-air sends you down, you'll travel just as far. Many aerials have a duration comparable to air dodges, but very few are actually faster, and many others taking longer.
Hum, i'm not convinced at all...

Oh yes, i wans convainced, but two minits ago, a DK saved himself with an Airdodge O-O

He was ~90%, him and me were on the left side of FD. I did a Fsmash, he did something in the same time. He did an Airdodge immediatly and... OO He stopped in air very soon ! He didn't go beyond the screen limit oO
For Christ's sake. If you're not going to test it, then please don't post nonsense. This kind of post, where the poster says he's almost sure he thinks he saw the air dodge possibly slow down the person (maybe!), is the reason this thread is already at 5 pages. Sorry to have to make an example out of you, Blad01, but it really needed to be said. Just test it yourself if you're not convinced. Anyone with the IQ to get through middle school can do it.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't really care about this, (trying to get post count up:rotfl:) but when Bowser or Ike hit you at high %'s you normally die. But, in some instances, I hit air-dodge immediately after (I don't normally get the timing right so this rarely happens, even in training mode) and was barely knocked off the screen. Maybe this was just because i got hit by a weaker spot in the attack, but something happend.

Doval

Smash Lord
Listen, this is getting old. I don't care if you think something happened, it sure wasn't the air dodge. It doesn't slow you down. No matter what. There isn't a single circumstance in which it will. The only thing it's good for is jumping sooner, because jumping does slow you down and saves your life when you get hit horizontally. That's all.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing with AirDodge.

If you're flying at NINETY MILES PER HOUR and air dodge, you'll be flying at NINETY MILES PER HOUR STILL after it's over.

Airdodge does not slow you down! I dunno why people still don't get it! :<

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it helps what so ever, i just do it because weigi's air dodge looks sweets!!!! and the ppl who said you were probably going to survive any way, i think are the correct ones ^^

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
It might not work, but in the middle of battle you can't always closely analyse things. normaly if you get hit by a heavy smasher, you normally die. if you don't die somehow and you happen to do an air-dodge when you get lucky it seems like it works.

I'm not saying it works, i'm not saying it dosn't. It seems to work at times.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Yeah I pretty much knew airdodging and jumping after was the best way to save myself from the start and used it all the time....my friends thought I was stupid for jumping after cos they thought I would be jumping off the screen faster...

But all this talk about smash DI? and its better than normal DI anyone want to help me with that and how to smash DI effectively in different situations such as being hit to the side or upwards?.

tag yeah

Smash Cadet
yeah, its not just air dodging that can do this. its called di, directional influence. this was a HUGE part of the game in melee but was nerfed out the *** in brawl. keep doing it it will save your *** many times (especially with heavy characters at high %s)

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Look people, this thread is repeating it self over and over. Also, it seems that some of you are on a personal vendetta to kill air dodgeing(Doval). Hate it or love it, IT DOSN'T MATTER!!!:rotfl:

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Doval i dont thinks theres any point explaining it anymore just leave them to believe that airdodging saves them at high percents....

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
So i've tested it in training with level 9 CPUs.

Okay, so here's the thing...

The CPU is gay. There is no reason for me to tip a computer with Marth at 90% and the CPU should not die. It seems as though the CPU KNOWS when it's going to get hit, so it airdodges immediately to slow itself down. Half the time a human gets hit, it's by some form of shock and surprise, thus we airdodge to failure.

Airdodging by itself at the wrong moment (i.e. a split second later after you get hit) will do nothing for you. It seems as though if you airdodge the moment you get hit, your momentum will be slowed down greatly, but I don't think there a human capable of doing that, as you might as well block the hit or dodge it before you actually get hit. Thus, like some guy said, "irdodging will prevent you from getting hit, thus saving your life."

Airdodging, however, does get you out of that tumbling motion, which will allow you to jump forward and break the momentum. However, the maneuver works best against attacks that send you at angles from approximately 45 to say 70 or 75 degress. Anything too far upward will result in you air dodging for nothing, and anything too acute of an angle will result in a failure no matter which way you slice it.

It works, but sometimes, it doesn't.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom