• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I shouldn't have said video, but an unhindered explanation and replication.

Thanks Hitaku for taking the time out of your fun with Brawl to test things for us.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I find the video perfectly useful. If it is indeed a glitched footstool hop that may be what happened to Yuna as well, this entire air tripping could be a crazy glitched footstool. who knows what the range could be if it no longer requires you to be above someone's head. Yuna did say that she fell from a Game & Watch attack, but some moves in Brawl have a chance to trip people, maybe that one does as well. If its not a footstool, we have at least some evidence of the air trip. Even if we can't exactly explain the cause with the video, it's still very useful. Obviously it would be good to get another video of this, but to say its useless because we have one...that's wrong.

Point is, we honestly have no idea what air tripping. Any information is helpful to us until we know more.
Yes, we need a few more videos of possible air tripping to compare, before we can really determine if it IS indeed possible to randomly air trip or if it's just glitchy footstool jumps.

dizzam

Smash Cadet
I think I'm just going to try to ignore the whole fact of air tripping unless I experience it myself(which I myself have been playing for awhile and it still hasn't happened to me) or a whole bunch of other people has confirmed it happened to them.

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I really don't like this whole tripping business. Seems like Sakurai went out of his way to make battles random. I hope this air tripping doesn't become a game breaking feature. Not that it would stop me from playing the game, but I know a few people who might just do that if it gets too bad.
Maybe that's because the game is *gasp* supposed to be random!

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
^One positive aspect of tripping is that it keeps faster characters from camping, E.G. Fox can't just keep running away because he'll eventually trip. But yes, on the whole, I agree that tripping fails.

Anyway, to keep on topic,

@ Yuna:
I'm willing to bet that this is a reproducible (read: NOT RANDOM) glitch with specific conditions. There's far too few reports of it (read: just yours) for it to be random. I think you're overreacting a bit when you say it will be tournament-breaking. That's probably what the person who first fell through Pokemon Stadium to his/her death (in Melee) thought as well.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
After looking at the video closer, Olimar's jump is not exactly timed with the fall. Notice how he is in the air and I'm not in tumble yet.

Even though Olimar is aligned with me when I actually do the fall, he doesn't do a second jump. In order for tis to still be a footstool, we need to accept the fact that there is a delay in the fall after the jump and that it has stupid range that doesn't require someones head under their feet. Thats stretching it a little to far for me hehe.

Thanks Hitaku for taking the time out of your fun with Brawl to test things for us.
Happy to help. =)

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
After looking at the video closer, Olimar's jump is not exactly timed with the fall. Notice how he is in the air and I'm not in tumble yet.

Even though Olimar is aligned with me when he actually does fall, he doesn't do a second jump. In order for tis to still be a footstool, we need to accept the fact that there is a delay in the fall after the jump and that it has stupid range that doesn't require someones head under their feet. Thats stretching it a little to far for me hehe.
You beat me to it. I was just going to say this.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, we need a few more videos of possible air tripping to compare, before we can really determine if it IS indeed possible to randomly air trip or if it's just glitchy footstool jumps.
It's not a glitchy footstool jump. Because, well, read the posts preceeding this. I've also done it at least once as Peach without anyone even in the air except me myself.

Why does it happen off land? Or is there a video of it over land?
It can happen over land. I do not know if what happened to Hitaku is the same thing as what happened to me but I'll bet it is. When it happens over land, when you land, you'll land on your behind (like after Ground Tripping) and not on your back or front.

@ Yuna:
I'm willing to bet that this is a reproducible (read: NOT RANDOM) glitch with specific conditions. There's far too few reports of it (read: just yours) for it to be random. I think you're overreacting a bit when you say it will be tournament-breaking. That's probably what the person who first fell through Pokemon Stadium to his/her death (in Melee) thought as well.
Why, because you say so?

It's not just random, it's also extremely rare. It took Hitaku, what, a week, two weeks, three weeks for it to happen to him? It hasn't happened to me again since the first three times.

Hitaku has tried to replicate this by repeating every single thing he did in the video time and time again without managing to Air Trip again. As such, it's most probably completely random. You saying "There must be a way to force it to happen!" does not make it so.

It will be tournament-breaking. It won't happen often and sometimes, it might not actually break the tournament but it can and eventually will break the tournaments. Because as opposed to the Pokémon Stadium tree, this is completely random. In order to fall through the Pokémon Stadium tree, you have to actually place yourself on it. You can prevent yourself from dying from the tree by simply not going there.

However, Air Tripping, from what we know so far, is completely random and there's no way to not Air Trip other than what you can do to not Ground Trip (possibly). While the chances are minimal, it could random happen and it doesn't matter where you are or when it is, it just happens.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Alright, if it ever happens to me and I absolutely cannot find a way to replicate it, I'll concede that it's random. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that one documented case out of the tons of people playing Brawl does not equal proof that it's random, to me.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, if it ever happens to me and I absolutely cannot find a way to replicate it, I'll concede that it's random. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that one documented case out of the tons of people playing Brawl does not equal proof that it's random, to me.
As opposed to Hitaku, the one who did it, stating quite clearly that he's spent hours trying to replicate the situation without any success?

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
As opposed to Hitaku, the one who did it, stating quite clearly that he's spent hours trying to replicate the situation without any success?
Yep.

Look, I'm not conceding that it's random at this point because there's no point in instilling fear in everyone that they may randomly die whenever they go into the air, when the fact is we just don't know. And we won't know for sure until someone takes an AR to the game.

Anyway, it looks like this discussion is going to go in circles from this point, so I wish you luck in your future Brawl endeavors!

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
@ Yuna:
It will be just as or more tournament costly as ground tripping. I have experienced it first hand, and afterward there was nothing I could do except fall into Ike's forward smash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It will be just as or more tournament costly as ground tripping. I have experienced it first hand, and afterward there was nothing I could do except fall into Ike's forward smash.
It is, in fact, more costly than ground tripping if you've got the abyss below you. You'll fall down to your death.

Thank you, Sakurai.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
It will be tournament-breaking. It won't happen often and sometimes, it might not actually break the tournament but it can and eventually will break the tournaments.
I would just like to state that I don't agree with this statement. When people say that things will break the game there are different definitions to it. Will this kill someone in a finals match down the road? Probability says yes, assuming that there is no recovery from this. Will this stop people from playing in large events? I highly doubt it.

I would love for this game to be perfectly balanced as well and all forms of tripping definitely hinder that. None the less I know that I will still be going to tournaments with this in. The only reason that I bring this up is because I don't want people thinking that the game will die because of this. My two cents on the matter.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is that we are doing this "glitch" in the Japaneses version. Just maybe they will end up fixing it in the US one.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Yuna can appreciate this.

I have a video uploading right now with another confirmed case of air tripping. I'll edit the link in soon.

EDIT: I know the quality isn't great, as it was taken on a digicam, but look at 1:49-1:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ih9-HVZJ2M

I don't know, it just looks like another footstool jump to me.

Sonic tried to recover, ROB footstool jumped him, then sonic used his UpB under the stage.

I could be wrong but, that's what it looked like to me.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I don't know, it just looks like another footstool jump to me.

Sonic tried to recover, ROB footstool jumped him, then sonic used his UpB under the stage.

I could be wrong but, that's what it looked like to me.
I couldn't have footstooled. I single jumped to perform the dair, and he tripped during the dair's animation.

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
The problem with that link is that it doesn't match up with the previous explanation of an air trip. Sonic was able to Up+B after he "tripped," where it's been said that you fall helplessly till you hit ground/die.

Could be a secondary action of ROB's dair, like how G&W's uair pushes people upward.
Exactly, Sonic falls helplessly automatically after his up b.

Popuri

Smash Apprentice
muah n_n

this is so funny q:

but fiendishly clever on Sakurai's part, very well calculated.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Uhh that looks similar to that thing you do in melee were you wavedash off a panal and you hit the ground laid out but he didn't hit the floor in this case

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Hmm...the fact that I've seen this so many times with Sonic makes me wonder.

Could air tripping be character specific/more inclined towards some characters?

What's The Point

Smash Master
For Sonic, I'm pretty certain that is just his air dodge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPp2QndPl-Y

Sonic does what looks like the 'trip' at 0:28, 1:35, and 3:33.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5lZhXBaKIJs

1:19, 2:32, and 2:44

The videos are a bit blurry, so I can't be certain, but it really just looks like Sonic is air-dodging in your videos.

At the very least, Holla's videos don't match up with Hitaku's due to the 'tripping' animation. Hitaku rolls forwards, Holla rolls backwards. Also that Holla trips with momentum, where Yuna apparently fell straight down. Which again leads me to think Holla is just seeing air dodges.

rove

Smash Apprentice
It 's really gonna suck, how could they have tournaments if air tripping comes out to be a big problem?

Zek

Smash Ace
I still don't buy this at all. People have been playing this game for a month and there still isn't any conclusive proof that this actually exists? Sorry but it doesn't matter how fiercely you guys argue for what you saw, your experiences are by far in the minority among people who have played Brawl and among these hundreds of videos there's no clear-cut example of "air tripping." You've got people jumping at shadows. If what you say is true then it must have been a bizarre glitch or you just messed up a button input without realizing it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wow I didn't even see this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9g94TBikI

Another vid of mine: At 2:16.

By the way... why have I only seen it with Sonic?

Both of your videos it seems Sonic air dodged.

In the first one he air dodged and was not able to jump for a second, as he was in the dodging animation, he then Up + B and coudn't make it back. Not Air Tripping.

Second he air dodged an attack and then was hit by another one.

I still want to know how the "video" you have as proof was able to execute something SO RARE, 2ce in less than 5 seconds. (This is directed to OP)

I seriously doubt that thing that happened to Hitaku is Air Tripping, and if it is, then it is not as bad as you say.

The guy who agrees with you some pages ago said he was unable to do anything and just fell into Ikes F-Smash. While Hitaku was able to DI, do aerials and "Trip" again. How is it that every person who has this "Trip" has something different happen to him.

The video is probably wrong. And if the Video is right, then Air Tripping does not seem so game breaking. As you can DI from it, and you can attack from it, meaning you CAN come back to the stage and survive from it. You might say "But you fall in the "I just tripped" animation."

So what? Your enemy is close? Hit him with an aerial, he is far? Just don't let him guess your tech, or if hes slow, tech away from him. Voila.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
All of the videos you guys showed were of Air Dodging like others before me said. Sonic's Air Dodge involves him flipping his legs back and doing somewhat of a in air turn. The trip is just him going into a tumble randomly (falling forward while slowly tumbling in the direction you're facing).

I still don't buy this at all. People have been playing this game for a month and there still isn't any conclusive proof that this actually exists?
What exactly are you calling proof? No one really knows what air tripping is at this point because its happened to so few people. I provided proof of me falling into a tumble mid air for a reason no one can explain. To think that there are two things that are so random? I don't think so. When this thread started word of mouth was enough, after that it moved to "we need video proof because this doesn't exist" which is reasonable. Now we have video proof and its still not enough? =P

Asking for more proof is perfectly acceptable, but to say that the video I provided isn't proof when it clearly shows something that could be explained as an "Air Trip"? I think thats kinda dumb.

A month is nothing. Seriously, how long was it before people discovered wavedashing?
A question that would be more of a comparison to this situation would be "How long did it take people to discover the exact way to use wave dashing after it was first done/recognized"? We already know that this exists, we are just now looking for the cause. People, including myself, are looking for explanations to it.

As you can DI from it, and you can attack from it, meaning you CAN come back to the stage and survive from it.
And if you air trip below the ledge when recovering or going after someone? Can't DI back up. =P

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
So has anyone tried throwing a banana at someone in the air? Couldn't that acheive a similar effect?

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
What exactly are you calling proof? No one really knows what air tripping is at this point because its happened to so few people. I provided proof of me falling into a tumble mid air for a reason no one can explain. To think that there are two things that are so random? I don't think so. When this thread started word of mouth was enough, after that it moved to "we need video proof because this doesn't exist" which is reasonable. Now we have video proof and its still not enough? =P

Asking for more proof is perfectly acceptable, but to say that the video I provided isn't proof when it clearly shows something that could be explained as an "Air Trip"? I think thats kinda dumb.
We did give an alternative explaination as a glitchy footstool jump. We need more proof to determine if it IS air tripping or not. Also, whoever suggested the banana peel thing, good thinking! That would cause an automatic trip, and if air tripping does exist, the banana peel would work in the air as well.

Top Bottom