• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i believe air tripping can be done by ground tripping off the edge
It just seems like he tripped off the edge and just let Sonic fall. :\
Not possible. When you trip on the ground, you immediately fall on your behind where you stood. There is no forward or backward lurch.

Also, I've Air Tripped while obviously in the air (in fact, in all three cases, I was in the air).

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
I belive, that was an air dodge... I have seen sonic´s air dodge, and it looks very similar to a "fall after foolstool jump"

air tripping don exist?

MRX

Smash Cadet
I'm still checking into it and now I disapprove my probability into random. Needs further testing. Someone did mentioned that they tripped in the air, but they were near the ground. I talked to that person and still think that it's a regular trip. However, what was interesting it was still in the "air." And thus the air tripping looks to be real after all.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm still checking into it and now I disapprove my probability into random. Needs further testing. Someone did mentioned that they tripped in the air, but they were near the ground. I talked to that person and still think that it's a regular trip. However, what was interesting it was still in the "air." And thus the air tripping looks to be real after all.

I am sorry, but could you be a little more clear. I can't understand you.

Si hablas espanol, dilo en espanol, yo te lo tradusco si quieres.

I've experienced 'air tripping' once. It was a few weeks ago, before I even knew about regular tripping. I didn't know what to think of it at first, I just ignored it for a while. But I'm just adding this here to help support the fact that it does exist.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I belive, that was an air dodge... I have seen sonic´s air dodge, and it looks very similar to a "fall after foolstool jump"

air tripping don exist?
The animation in this video is not the same as Sonic's air dodge.

Wow, these boards really exploded while I was gone, heh. Thanks, Yuna for taking in my plac while I was away for a while. It seems like there is a lot of repeating going on...so I'm not going to comment directly to anyone. I heard someone talking about how I spammed buttons at the start. Thats not exactly true, while this air trip could potentially just cause a stun effect on the character, I tried to Up+B in the initial air trip. This explains the lag before my fair.

I honestly believe that this has something to to with my Up+B as I have said before, but no, I don't think in any way this is Sonic-specific if Yuna has done it as well.

I really think that a lot of you need to closely read what I said, I think it would help with some of your questions.

On another, more productive note.... I now possess what I believe to be video evidence that air tripping does indeed exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8nXjorFK8

Before people freak out about this, I've been playing Brawl for what's close to three weeks now and this is the first time I have seen me or any of my friends do anything like this. I personally believe that this is a LOW percent chance after pushing forward all the way (talking like .001 or something stupid like that). If its cause does indeed occur for the same reasons tripping does, I believe that its a glitch in the game. No way would they implement something with that low of a percent.

If you notice in the video before dropping down I am at the tip of my ledge doing my "woah I'm going to fall" animation. Maybe this could have to do with me being on the ledge like that...or me falling through a platform. In this video...I don't recall my exact inputs onto the controller... all I know is I was going to try and get back and follow up with a neutral A. So...I guess the logical inputs would be down/left/maybe a preemptive A.

Again, please don't freak out about this. Let's just try to figure it out. The trip starts at the eight second mark.

Edit: Another thing I now noticed is that I was at 140%. When doing my tests I'm going to be placing myself at 999% just to make sure it's not percentage-based. Sadly, even while at 999% percent I can't seem to replicate this. Without some idea as to what makes this happen...I really don't know what to do to test it at this point.

Edit 2: A while back there was a bunch of people that complained about the picture and icon being to large next to the percentage...up until now I have never agreed. In my video when I (Sonic) reach the part of the screen where the percent is at it looks like I do a forward A. If that's the case then you can still do moves out of it. Maybe there is a small point of time when this air tripping happens that you can't react?

Another thought is that maybe you can only use A moves afterwards. If you look at the animation I fall into (the tumbling), you will notice that's the same animation that Sonic goes into after using his Up+B. After an Up+B you can't use any B moves...only A moves. That would explain why I didn't do anything for a few seconds, I was probably shocked that my Up+B suddenly was unusable. After realizing that I remember trying to spam the controllers buttons to get out of it (thus the forward air?). If your move options are the same as after an Up+B and the falling animation is the same as well, maybe this air tripping has something to do with the Up+B?

Keep in mind these are all just ideas that I am tossing out while trying to figure this out. Work with them but don't assume they are correct.
As you can see, I did try and do an Up+B directly after. Again, I don't know if I tried one around the time I did a fair, its possible that there was just some stun animation.

Edit: Also, Sonic can use his Up+B at any time regardless if there is another spring board out (which there was not). I have remade this scene a few times now down to the leaning over the edge before I drop through and I have not been able to replicate the trip. I can Up+ at any time I want.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
This is odd. I wouldn't entirely count out the explanation that it was a glitched ground tripping animation. The Hitaku vid did have Sonic teetering on the ledge before the air trip. Yuna, how high were you when the air trip happened? If it was close to the ground, then there might be some weight to the glitch ground trip. It seems weird that Peach would fastfall into the trip animation quicker than you could perceive.

I don't have the game per se, but from the extreme rarity and the circumstances given, there's a good chance it's a glitch/animation screwup (like Bowser's Flame Cancel in Melee 1.0).

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I REALLY hope this is a glitch. I just can't believe Sakurai would intentially put this much randomness into a fighting game (seriously, if you want random chance, just turn on items, they were at least FUN).

Yuna:

When you air-tripped with Peach, did it happen at the moment you moved the control stick (like a normal trip), or did it happen when you were already holding the stick in a direction?

IronGorilla

Smash Cadet
You mention it might have something to with the up+b, which I think is possible. That is because Sonic's up+b does place him on a proverbial "platform" for a very short period of time. During that time, a regular trip is theoretically possible, but would strongly resemble an air trip.

Zink

Smash Champion
You mention it might have something to with the up+b, which I think is possible. That is because Sonic's up+b does place him on a proverbial "platform" for a very short period of time. During that time, a regular trip is theoretically possible, but would strongly resemble an air trip.
aha, but then where did the platform go?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, I didn't really need video proof, because I believed you.

Anyway, that plain sucks. Tripping is so annoying.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Hmm...notice how he "air tripped" right when Olimar jumped, and his head was level with Olimar's feet when it happened. Perhaps some glitch wherein the game registered Sonic as having been footstool jumped for some reason? I know that that's the animation of someone flailing after being footstool jumped.

(Sorry if the idea has already been brought up, I didn't read through the whole thread).

dizzam

Smash Cadet
Hmm...notice how he "air tripped" right when Olimar jumped, and his head was level with Olimar's feet when it happened. Perhaps some glitch wherein the game registered Sonic as having been footstool jumped for some reason? I know that that's the animation of someone flailing after being footstool jumped.

(Sorry if the idea has already been brought up, I didn't read through the whole thread).
That actually looks highly possible now that I watched the video again.. o___o;

cynar

Smash Apprentice

looks like you're right I think, not really air tripping but a buggy footstool jump.

People were too focused on tripping and not paying attention to the olimar who jumps at the same time the sonic falls down with the same animation that he has after being footstool jumped.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
it makes me wonder why they added tripping in the first place? in a 1v1v1v1 freeforall tripping would be hardly noticeable but the fact that theres such a specific gimp to every character indicates that there was probably more depth (or intention of destroying said depth) than we think was intended in 1v1 play.

MRX

Smash Cadet
I am sorry, but could you be a little more clear. I can't understand you.

Si hablas espanol, dilo en espanol, yo te lo tradusco si quieres.

エル・テゥリーピンは存在している。よりテストは必要する。

Air tripping exist. Needs more testing.

>>On a side note: Looks like it does show up randomly. Air tripping is rare, but a possibility of it happening. As I said before, seems to be a regular trip, but looks to be an air as well. :-/

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is odd. I wouldn't entirely count out the explanation that it was a glitched ground tripping animation. The Hitaku vid did have Sonic teetering on the ledge before the air trip. Yuna, how high were you when the air trip happened? If it was close to the ground, then there might be some weight to the glitch ground trip. It seems weird that Peach would fastfall into the trip animation quicker than you could perceive.

I don't have the game per se, but from the extreme rarity and the circumstances given, there's a good chance it's a glitch/animation screwup (like Bowser's Flame Cancel in Melee 1.0).
Peach has a landing animation from a float. It's the same as her normal animation, so it should not screw up of the animation just because she close to the ground. It's also not consistent like gliding too close to the ground (it won't happen every single time, in fact, it's never happened while I've ground-floated).

Once I was as high up as Mr. Game & Watch is tall (at least), another time, I was higher up than Samus is tall and the 3rd time, I was somewhere inbetween. In other words, not at all close to the ground.

There was no tripping animation. I just randomly started falling downwards, hit the ground and got stuck in the "I just tripped"-animation where I'm on my butt and had to roll to get up.

Yuna:

When you air-tripped with Peach, did it happen at the moment you moved the control stick (like a normal trip), or did it happen when you were already holding the stick in a direction?
I was holding the stick, but at least two of the times, it was pretty soon after I'd started floating (like with a Ground Trip). The third time I don't remember.

Why would it randomly happen even with Sonic not Up B:ing, though? And I've Air Tripped as Peach.

This is grasping. It is not a footstool jump because footstool jumps can be Meteor Canceled.

It is also not a Footstool Jump because Olimar's feet were nowhere near Sonic's head. What video were you watching anyway?!?!?!?!

So basically you're saying that despite Olimar being on the ground, Sonic being way too far away for him to Footstool Jump him, Olimar not getting a Footstool Jump Boost, Sonic Air Tripping on his own and Sonic unable to Meteor Cancel, it's a glitched Footstool Jump?

What a glitch! A footstool jump that doesn't even require a Footstool Jump... or a jump... or the opponent to be in your vicinity... and it's not Meteor Cancelable.

It's not a Footstool Jump unless some cataclysmic glitch occured where not only did Olimar magically Footstool Jump Sonic simply for using his 1st jump but the Footstool Jump also became a Spike for some reason.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Just throwing out ideas. I do think it's a glitch of some kind, at least. I've been playing the game for several weeks as well as you, and I've never experienced this.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just throwing out ideas. I do think it's a glitch of some kind, at least. I've been playing the game for several weeks as well as you, and I've never experienced this.
Whether it's a glitch or not does not matter. It is in the game. It will randomly decide the outcomes of important games. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but some day, someone will lose 10,000 dollars at a major tournament due to it.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
What happens when you hold up while floating with peach (I mean, just hold the stick up, don't move, hold it up until she can't anymore).

Also, what happens with platform falling if you continue to hold down on the stick even after you have passed through the platform?

I'd just like to know.

Another idea I had was maybe...overbuffering? What if someone tries to input waaaaay to many inputs at once. Could that cause a trip?

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Yuna/Hitaku: try doing this with other characters. If it can be replicated, if only once; then it's something big. If not, it might still be a glitch and can be worked out. Now is not the time to go Chicken Little just yet.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna/Hitaku: try doing this with other characters. If it can be replicated, if only once; then it's something big. If not, it might still be a glitch and can be worked out. Now is not the time to go Chicken Little just yet.
It's random and it's rare. It cannot be "replicated" except for the fact that you have to be in the air for it to happen.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
It's random and it's rare. It cannot be "replicated" except for the fact that you have to be in the air for it to happen.
If it happens at all, it can be replicated. If it is in the game, it can be done. If Hitaku could test tripping, he (or you, or someone else) could keep trying until it happens again. Calm down.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
This is grasping. It is not a footstool jump because footstool jumps can be Meteor Canceled.

It is also not a Footstool Jump because Olimar's feet were nowhere near Sonic's head. What video were you watching anyway?!?!?!?!

So basically you're saying that despite Olimar being on the ground, Sonic being way too far away for him to Footstool Jump him, Olimar not getting a Footstool Jump Boost, Sonic Air Tripping on his own and Sonic unable to Meteor Cancel, it's a glitched Footstool Jump?

What a glitch! A footstool jump that doesn't even require a Footstool Jump... or a jump... or the opponent to be in your vicinity... and it's not Meteor Cancelable.

It's not a Footstool Jump unless some cataclysmic glitch occured where not only did Olimar magically Footstool Jump Sonic simply for using his 1st jump but the Footstool Jump also became a Spike for some reason.
You know...there is a small period of time after being footstooled that you can't react. I almost wonder if because of its randomness it caught me off guard so I didn't think to treat it properly. My Up+B pressing was done during that time in which you can't react maybe. Afterwards you can do moves....as well as Up+B. I'm not saying that this is exactly a glitched footstool...but its an interesting theory.

And yeah, I know Olimar wasn't next to Sonic so the chances are low, but like we can explain anything else at this point. I'm just saying it's a theory that maybe shouldn't be ruled out.

Also, if I take a little while getting back to posts its because I am very sick at the moment. I will be able to do more testing/have more conversation about this once I am better.

Edit: Sorry if I don't make as much sense as normal in this post >< Again something I blame on being sick.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If it happens at all, it can be replicated. If it is in the game, it can be done. If Hitaku could test tripping, he (or you, or someone else) could keep trying until it happens again. Calm down.
What I meant was that it's so random and rare we'd have to literally play the game nonstop for 10 days and constantly stay in the air and hope we'll Air Trip.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
I think we're jumping to alot of conclusions about something that may just be an effect of some other game mechanic. Maybe someone with Brawl could try the following:

In Melee, if you were shielding and you slid off an edge (from either a wavedash or someone hitting you) you would enter tumbling motion identical to the one you're in after being hit by a powerful attack. You could also try pressing the shield button while floating with Peach, but that probably will produce a normal air dodge.

Mainly though, the fact the Sonic seems to trip twice seems to be this: The player was obviously below the stage, and thus, in any logical situation, he would use his Up+B. Can the player confirm that the spring left by Sonic's Up+B wasn't anywhere else on the stage? Or is there something else that can disallow an Up+B from happening? In my opinion, if this were found to be true, it would explain the ENTIRE VIDEO. Player is below stage, he tries to use Up+B, but he can't (if the spring was out or some other reason), so he enters the SAME tumbling animation as after having used up+B. After up+B, you can't up+B again, so only his attempt to fair did anything. After it ended, Sonic was still in the state where he could ATTACK but NOT UP+B, thus he would return to that specific tumbling animation, which only happens after an up+B.

That, combined with the fact that that video is the only proof we have on video right now, lends me to believe that it doesn't exist. But whatever the case, it will become ironically apparent with the US release of the game.

If any of my theories are disproven, then simply ignore this, I'm just adding my input and this doesn't need to turn into a flame war.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think we're jumping to alot of conclusions about something that may just be an effect of some other game mechanic. Maybe someone with Brawl could try the following:
Please re-read Hitaku's and my posts again since a lot of what you've said has already been brought up.

In Melee, if you were shielding and you slid off an edge (from either a wavedash or someone hitting you) you would enter tumbling motion identical to the one you're in after being hit by a powerful attack. You could also try pressing the shield button while floating with Peach, but that probably will produce a normal air dodge.
No, this is not the same. You cannot Up B from this (or at least Hitaku couldn't. I was just floating too close to the ground to have the reaction time to Up B from such a random event). Nothing happens if you press the shield button while floating with Peach. Because she is floating.

Mainly though, the fact the Sonic seems to trip twice seems to be this: The player was obviously below the stage, and thus, in any logical situation, he would use his Up+B. Can the player confirm that the spring left by Sonic's Up+B wasn't anywhere else on the stage? Or is there something else that can disallow an Up+B from happening?
As long as Sonic hasn't already Up B (and not landed inbetween), Sonic can still Up B even with a spring on the stage. There also wasn't a spring anywhere on the stage, Hitaku has already confirmed this.

In my opinion, if this were found to be true, it would explain the ENTIRE VIDEO. Player is below stage, he tries to use Up+B, but he can't (if the spring was out or some other reason), so he enters the SAME tumbling animation as after having used up+B. After up+B, you can't up+B again, so only his attempt to fair did anything. After it ended, Sonic was still in the state where he could ATTACK but NOT UP+B, thus he would return to that specific tumbling animation, which only happens after an up+B.
Yes, but we've already proven that this is not the case.

That, combined with the fact that that video is the only proof we have on video right now, lends me to believe that it doesn't exist. But whatever the case, it will become ironically apparent with the US release of the game.
Very few people have Brawl. Even fewer of those few have a capture card. And this glitch, feature or whatever is so rare only a select few have ever had it happen to them, most of them only once (me thrice). It's very rare. So rare the chances are possibly one out of 100,000 or something.

It undoutedly exists because unless you're calling me a liar, it's happened to me.

If any of my theories are disproven, then simply ignore this, I'm just adding my input and this doesn't need to turn into a flame war.
Yes, they are.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If people don't believe you, it doesn't have to mean they think you're a liar. We can think that you're mistaking what exactly you saw.

I'm not saying weather you're right or wrong, I just noticed that you've claimed a couple times that we have to believe you because you say so. People will doubt until they have very clear video proof of the event.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry Yuna and Hitaku, but there seems to be just too much doubt in that video to be useful. It could be air tripping or it could be a very glitchy footstool jump. You will have to try to get it to happen again.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I'm sorry Yuna and Hitaku, but there seems to be just too much doubt in that video to be useful. It could be air tripping or it could be a very glitchy footstool jump. You will have to try to get it to happen again.
Lol, I find the video perfectly useful. If it is indeed a glitched footstool hop that may be what happened to Yuna as well, this entire air tripping could be a crazy glitched footstool. who knows what the range could be if it no longer requires you to be above someone's head. Yuna did say that she fell from a Game & Watch attack, but some moves in Brawl have a chance to trip people, maybe that one does as well. If its not a footstool, we have at least some evidence of the air trip. Even if we can't exactly explain the cause with the video, it's still very useful. Obviously it would be good to get another video of this, but to say its useless because we have one...that's wrong.

Point is, we honestly have no idea what air tripping. Any information is helpful to us until we know more.

People will doubt until they have very clear video proof of the event.
In my opinion, this is clear video of the event. We are just not sure what the event actually is at this time. It's called air tripping because thats what it looked like in the beginning.

Edit: Please keep in mind that I don't really know if this is a footstool hop at all. Its just the first theory that actually has any backing behind it. I was using it as an example showing that we don't know what it is.

Top Bottom