• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Phlemingo

Smash Ace
From the video on the first page, it seems like and air tripping are the consequence of the game being unable to keep up with the characters' actions. Notice how sonic crouch cancelled his extremely fast dash on the side of the platform. Well normally, doing this in Melee would result in fast falling very fast off the stage but instead in Brawl he air tripped.

Chepe

Smash Lord
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden03.html

Look at the Final Smash section. Sakurai calls tripping, "slipping." And later he points out: If your opponent unleashes the Negative Zone, at least try to stay in the air. While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting.

Um, so Sakurai straight out lied to us? He wouldnt have included tripping in there if he knew it could happen in the air, because Negative Zone would have increased the chances of that as well...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Use your own detective skills for a change. I'm sick of giving away secrets all the time.
It's a secret? And why can't you just disclose it as it's just a big secret apparently only you know about it? Me and Hitaku could try to make heads and tails of it for days without figuring it out while you could just simply tell us.

Competitive viability only goes as far as the fanbase that is willing to play it competitively. And guess what, we have a truckload of people willing to, more than Melee was able to attract. Tripping isn't going to stop people from paying their moniess. And it's certainly not going to stop other people from putting forth the effort for a shot at winning said moniess. If you think Brawl has little "competitive viability" then you're just completely underestimating Smash's playerbase. And thus, you look/sound like a tool.
No, competitive viability, in my case, is how viable it is as a competitive game, if the game's design are balanced and fair enough for a deep competitive play.

Dead or Alive is quite popular and people play it competitively (albeit on a smaller scale than other fighters). Doesn't mean the fighting community at large don't agree on it being quite undeep and not really that viable of a fighter.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
From the video on the first page, it seems like and air tripping are the consequence of the game being unable to keep up with the characters' actions. Notice how sonic crouch cancelled his extremely fast dash on the side of the platform. Well normally, doing this in Melee would result in fast falling very fast off the stage but instead in Brawl he air tripped.
There is no crouch- or dash canceling in Brawl. That was just Sonic crouching... and then air tripping. And I've air tripped while just floating in the air doing nothing.

And why the heck would the game Air Trip you because you just did many things in quick succession? That's like a game punishing you for not playing slow and camping.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden03.html

Look at the Final Smash section. Sakurai calls tripping, "slipping." And later he points out: If your opponent unleashes the Negative Zone, at least try to stay in the air. While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting.

Um, so Sakurai straight out lied to us? He wouldnt have included tripping in there if he knew it could happen in the air, because Negative Zone would have increased the chances of that as well...
Sakurai tells us a lot of things. Some of them are straight out lies.

You know what can happen when you're in the air and get hit by the Negative Zone? You'll get Dizzy, as if your shield was just broken. But instead of flying up and then down, you'll just drop down... and die if there's no ground below you.

How's that for "The best way to fight the Negative Zone is to stay in the air"? There have been many other examples of Sakurai spreading misinformation, bad information or outright lies on his blog. Maybe they changed the move, maybe he just isn't infallible like some believe him to be.

Mobbin

Smash Apprentice
Look at the Final Smash section. Sakurai calls tripping, "slipping." And later he points out: If your opponent unleashes the Negative Zone, at least try to stay in the air. While aloft you won’t suddenly sleep, slip, or start taunting..
I know how "slipping" came up:

Fox: Slippy, there's this huge turtle-thing, what should I do?
Slippy: Do a barrel roll.
Fox: A barrel roll?
Slippy: Simply dash back and forth .
Fox: Umm... alright...
*falls over*
Fox: Slippy, I fell to the ground.
Slippy: Wha... oh, yeah right. That's a technique I found. I call it the Slippy Drop. No wait, Slipping. Yeah, that sounds better.
Fox: I hate you.

greetz

Revven

FrankerZ
Y'know, that video didn't look like air tripping to me. In fact, it looked like Sonic was in his Up B falling animation that he uses after using his Up B. Perhaps it's exclusive to him? Why do I say that? Because it could be a glitch for him, because that falling animatiom comes from after he uses his Up B and falls down. Maybe Hitaku did an Up B but, it cancelled and wound up causing him death?

It doesn't look like air tripping to me at all. It looks like a glitch just for Sonic, due to the simple fact that he is the only one with that kind of falling animation. It isn't air tripping, it's just a glitch, how it happens? I can't say, it might even involve his Up B or something else that causes him to go into that falling animation. The mere fact that he couldn't do anything to get back up there... just boggles me.

Hitaku, I suggest trying this again with Sonic and no one else. The same situation (not percentage) and try to do what you think you were going to do to Olimar. Hell, even try an Up B after going down the platform and see if that causes the glitch. Because honestly? I find it hard to believe that they'd use the same falling animation for Sonic's air trip and his Up B. It must be a glitch that deals with his Up B... That's what I hope at least.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Y'know, that video didn't look like air tripping to me. In fact, it looked like Sonic was in his Up B falling animation that he uses after using his Up B. Perhaps it's exclusive to him? Why do I say that? Because it could be a glitch for him, because that falling animatiom comes from after he uses his Up B and falls down. Maybe Hitaku did an Up B but, it cancelled and wound up causing him death?
No, because Hitaku would've known if he'd Up B:ed.
No because he obviously didn't Up (no sign of Up B can be seen).
No, because while he spammed moves while in the tumbling animation, Sonic didn't do anything. Sonic can still move after Up B.

It doesn't look like air tripping to me at all. It looks like a glitch just for Sonic, due to the simple fact that he is the only one with that kind of falling animation. It isn't air tripping, it's just a glitch, how it happens? I can't say, it might even involve his Up B or something else that causes him to go into that falling animation. The mere fact that he couldn't do anything to get back up there... just boggles me.
He couldn't do anything. Also, I've air tripped as Peach. Explain that.

Peach Tree

Smash Cadet
SAAAAAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAARAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Well this would be a good way of getting back on stage from above if we can find out how to master it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
SAAAAAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAARAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Well this would be a good way of getting back on stage from above if we can find out how to master it.
Why? You'll be tumbling downwards, as if you'd just been spiked without being able to cancel it. You'd be wide open for attacks. Once you hit the ground, you go into the "I just tripped"-animation from which you have to get up. Even more holes that leave you open for attack.

Peach Tree

Smash Cadet
Why? You'll be tumbling downwards, as if you'd just been spiked without being able to cancel it. You'd be wide open for attacks. Once you hit the ground, you go into the "I just tripped"-animation from which you have to get up. Even more holes that leave you open for attack.

Was thinking of like if they attempt to juggle you and while they're in the air you can air trip to the floor since you said you moved as fast a sa spike. I diddn't know that you do the tumbling effect once you hit the floor though.

Card

Smash Lord
No, because while he spammed moves while in the tumbling animation, Sonic didn't do anything. Sonic can still move after Up B.

He couldn't do anything.
Hrmm..

Sonic clearly does a F-Air in that video. At exactly the 0:09 second mark to be precise. There is no mistaking it. The Olimar portrait may overlap Sonic a bit, but with the transparency it is clear to see that Sonic was able to perform an Aerial Attack Move out of the "Air Trip" or tumble or whatever you would like to call it.

So I would not say that Hitaku couldn't do anything. Because he did in fact manage to pull off a F-Air.

This begs for more questions to be asked and tested;
  1. How and what causes this to occur?
  2. Is it character specific? (It may just be Peach & Sonic specific. Floating and Sonic's double jump animation are different to say the least. After all this has only been seen by you two, in all my experience of playing I have never seen it)
  3. Can it be canceled with an Up+B? (It seems that although Hitaku did a F-Air, he couldn't perform an Up+B)
  4. If an aerial attack is performed after an Air Trip, and then the user lands on the floor, do they land in the trip animation?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sonic clearly does a F-Air in that video. At exactly the 0:09 second mark to be precise. There is no mistaking it. The Olimar portrait may overlap Sonic a bit, but with the transparency it is clear to see that Sonic was able to perform an Aerial Attack Move out of the "Air Trip" or tumble or whatever you would like to call it.
You can do aerials after spikes as well. You're just stuck in a really long stun animation once you get spiked.

How and what causes this to occur?
Is it character specific?
(It may just be Peach & Sonic specific. Floating and Sonic's double jump animation are different to say the least. After all this has only been seen by you two, in all my experience of playing I have never seen it)
Can it be canceled with an Up+B?
(It seems that although Hitaku did a F-Air, he couldn't perform an Up+B)
If an aerial attack is performed after an Air Trip, and then the user lands on the floor, do they land in the trip animation?
1) It's random. I've had it happen when floating and when not floating. Once it happened because I got dashattacked. Just like normal tripping. If you land on the ground, it's just like with a Ground Tripping.
2) I've done while not floating. Why would the game Air Trip me when not floating? That's some inane programming there if it just happens to Peach because she's also got a float and Sonic because he's got a "special" 2nd jump (despite it not being that special, it's just another way of 2nd Jumping, like Yoshi's) even when they aren't floating or 2nd jumping. I doubt it's character specific. It's just really, really rare.
3) No, it cannot. Hitaku tried to. He couldn't. He lagged until he went down really low and then recovered enough to Fair.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
By those descriptions I'm positive it's a glitch. I highly doubt they'd do that intentionally, and I really dislike the attitude some people have, as if Sakurai is going out of his way to personally attack and gimp competitive players. This is simply not true.

imtekbistro

Smash Rookie
I am so sick of Nintendo trying to blur the line between a good player and a bad player. They have all the means necessary to make a (literally) perfect game and then they just intentionally ruin it with crap like this.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You can do aerials after spikes as well. You're just stuck in a really long stun animation once you get spiked.

Yes, but since the video is really slowed down, that means he did an aerial about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a second after the "tripping animation"

This means he could have done the Up + B, but he didn't, normally if you were spiked as you say, you would not be able to do any move until 1 or 2 seconds after and that would mean your death, if he would have done Up + B instead of F-Air he could have survived.

Now, this is what I have noticed. Right before he "trips" he goes into his Dash animation in the air. He does not gain any invulnerability frames when he "trips", or at least I can't see anything, I thought tripping gave you invulnerability frames until you could stand up.

After he does 2 F-airs, he "trips" again, right before dying (while he is bubbled) woudn't that be very unlikely, I mean 2 trips in a row? When we had not found even 1 video to begin with.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
By those descriptions I'm positive it's a glitch. I highly doubt they'd do that intentionally, and I really dislike the attitude some people have, as if Sakurai is going out of his way to personally attack and gimp competitive players. This is simply not true.
It's a glitch that at random combines the effects with a spike with the effects of a trip if you hit the ground? Sounds like a mightily big glitch to me. And it's random, even. You can't even replicate it at will (as far as we know).

Sakurai introduced Ground Tripping. I don't see why Air Tripping would be such a stretch after that.

Yes, but since the video is really slowed down, that means he did an aerial about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a second after the "tripping animation"

This means he could have done the Up + B, but he didn't, normally if you were spiked as you say, you would not be able to do any move until 1 or 2 seconds after and that would mean your death, if he would have done Up + B instead of F-Air he could have survived.
Depends on the percentage. I never said it was exactly like a spike. It's highly reminiscent.

Hitaku also said that he tried to Up B. Did not work.

Now, this is what I have noticed. Right before he "trips" he goes into his Dash animation in the air. He does not gain any invulnerability frames when he "trips", or at least I can't see anything, I thought tripping gave you invulnerability frames until you could stand up.
Tripping gives you invulnerability once you start falling over on your way to hit the floor. He air tripped, hence, he didn't hit the floor.

Also, Air Tripping must not necessarily be exactly the same as Ground Tripping. I only named it such because you go into the "I just tripped"-animation afterwards.

After he does 2 F-airs, he "trips" again, right before dying (while he is bubbled) woudn't that be very unlikely, I mean 2 trips in a row? When we had not found even 1 video to begin with.
From what I can see, he did 2 fair and then went back into the tumbling animation. Dunno, maybe you can only do A-moves past a certain point of an Air Trip and then you go back to the tripping animation.

Revven

FrankerZ
No, because Hitaku would've known if he'd Up B:ed.
No because he obviously didn't Up (no sign of Up B can be seen).
I know he can still move after an Up B, it doesn't mean though that there isn't any connection between the two. The fact that it uses the same falling animation just bewilders me. Is it a crime to speculate? Why does it have to absolutely be an "air trip"?

He couldn't do anything. Also, I've air tripped as Peach. Explain that.
There's no video of that. I can't explain it if I haven't seen any visual proof of it.

Card

Smash Lord
I am starting to lean towards this myself.

It seems that if we take into account everyone who has the imported version of Brawl since Japanese release, and factor in all of their playtime amongst friends and themselves since then, and so far we only have reports of this issue happening 4 times (3 times with the same person... so technically this issue only happened to 2 users of the entire import scene)

This doesn't even seem to be an issue that occurs 1% of the time. It must be even LOWER than that for only 2 users to have ever seen it. Either that or there is something that triggers it that we are completely unaware to.

I am so sick of Nintendo trying to blur the line between a good player and a bad player. They have all the means necessary to make a (literally) perfect game and then they just intentionally ruin it with crap like this.
For your first post on these boards, you really have no idea what you are talking about. As it stands, we are not even sure if this is a glitch or not in the actual game mechanics. If it is indeed a glitch, then it is most certainly not intentional. If it is actually a programmed mechanic, it does not happen nearly enough (it occurs less than 1%) for it to actually bear an impact on the line between "Good" and "Bad" Players. So you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

I don't mean to be an expert, but it looks to me like he platform canceled his UpB in that video. You don't notice it too much since the video is slowed down, but as soon as he gets out of his platform drop animation, he starts falling. Hitaku said he didn't know if he tried to jump or not. Not jumping at all would be stupid, so I don't think that's the case. I think he may have tried to jump while he was still in the fair animation, then gave up before it was over.

The actual "air trip" could be a Peach exclusive to combat her almost broken recovery and evil air game.

Meaning we're looking at two different things.

The only problem with this theory is the inputs. Unless he was TRYING to fake an air trip, it would be extremely difficult to accidentally platform cancel Sonic's UpB, as it's really fast to activate, and you'd have to hit down almost instantly after hitting up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know he can still move after an Up B, it doesn't mean though that there isn't any connection between the two. The fact that it uses the same falling animation just bewilders me. Is it a crime to speculate? Why does it have to absolutely be an "air trip".
Because I have stated time and again that I have personally Air Tripped as Peach.

Unless you're claiming I'm lying, the Air Trip isn't Sonic-specific or Sonic's Up B specific. So it uses the same falling animation, big whoop. Sonic falls like that after getting hit and tumbling as well, right? It's just his tumbling animation.

It's not a crime to speculate, but you're ignoring what I've already had to repeat many times over. It's an Air Trip because it's happened to me and when I landed, I did not land on my back or my front but on my behind, as if from a Ground Trip.

I am starting to lean towards this myself.

It seems that if we take into account everyone who has the imported version of Brawl since Japanese release, and factor in all of their playtime amongst friends and themselves since then, and so far we only have reports of this issue happening 4 times (3 times with the same person... so technically this issue only happened to 2 users of the entire import scene)

This doesn't even seem to be an issue that occurs 1% of the time. It must be even LOWER than that for only 2 users to have ever seen it. Either that or there is something that triggers it that we are completely unaware to.
Actually, others have said that they've experienced Air Tripping. At least one guy said he's Air Tripped. It's very rare, I'll give you that.

But it can and probably will decide the outcome of very important games sometimes in the future. Anything that can happen will happen. Give it enough time and a very important game towards the end of a tournament will be decided by an Air Trip.

Card

Smash Lord
It's not a crime to speculate, but you're ignoring what I've already had to repeat many times over. It's an Air Trip because it's happened to me and when I landed, I did not land on my back or my front but on my behind, as if from a Ground Trip.
During your air trip tumble, did you try wiggling the Joystick back and forth similarly as if you wanted to get out of a tumble animation?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
During your air trip tumble, did you try wiggling the Joystick back and forth similarly as if you wanted to get out of a tumble animation?
No time. I was too close to the ground (not ground floating, but still not way above the stage).

Also, it apparently doesn't help. Hitaku spammed all buttons and Up B, yet he neither jumped nor Up B:ed. Then he faired and went back into the air tripping animation (if it is indeed an Air Trip).

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Depends on the percentage. I never said it was exactly like a spike. It's highly reminiscent.
I guess that might make sense, but then again, it shoudnt be that little time

Hitaku also said that he tried to Up B. Did not work.
If he could F-Air but not Up+B then theres a problem. I don't think "Air Tripping" would just neutralize your B moves and allow you to use your A moves. Because of this I am more inclined to believe the people saying it might be something about Sonic's Up+B (Although they have no real proof to say that)

Tripping gives you invulnerability once you start falling over on your way to hit the floor. He air tripped, hence, he didn't hit the floor.

Also, Air Tripping must not necessarily be exactly the same as Ground Tripping. I only named it such because you go into the "I just tripped"-animation afterwards.
Well I believe that the invulnerability frames in tripping were put in, in order to not be able to punish it as soon as it happened, instead your opponent would have to guess where you would roll. It is my belief that if there was an Air Trip it would probably have invulnerability frames, at least at that start. But since its happened to you, can you remember if it did?

From what I can see, he did 2 fair and then went back into the tumbling animation. Dunno, maybe you can only do A-moves past a certain point of an Air Trip and then you go back to the tripping animation.

Only allows A moves? This is very weird.

Anyways he does not return to his trip animation, he trips again, by this I mean, if you look closely he actually does exactly the same he does the first time.

1-) Goes into Dash Animation while on the air
2-) Dash slows down
3-) Does a flip while in Dash animation

imtekbistro

Smash Rookie
I don' think that this is a glitch and introducing tripping (ground or air) adds that stupid random element to the gameplay that Nintendo loves to do. While air tripping may be very unlikely, why is it in there at all? If it is a glitch, then it probably has something to do with tripping on the ground. Ground tripping happens about once every couple of matches and I have lost at least one or two because of it. There is no decent reason for tripping to be in this game period.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Sakurai introduced Ground Tripping. I don't see why Air Tripping would be such a stretch after that.
Why?! Didn't he say keeping in the air keeps you from tripping? Yeah there's dizziness, but that's ONE of the things, he DOES say "at least you won't trip..." This implies there are OTHER THINGS negative zone can screw you with, but staying in the air REDUCES THE AMOUNT OF THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN.

That statement reeks of "Sakurai is out to get competitive players". And I want more proof that Sakurai outright lied--release dates and "up until now" do not count.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why?! Didn't he say keeping in the air keeps you from tripping? Yeah there's dizziness, but that's ONE of the things, he DOES say "at least you won't trip..." This implies there are OTHER THINGS negative zone can screw you with, but staying in the air REDUCES THE AMOUNT OF THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN.

That statement reeks of "Sakurai is out to get competitive players". And I want more proof that Sakurai outright lied--release dates and "up until now" do not count.
Technically, he only said that the Negative Zone won't randomly make you trip if you're in the air. He never said there is no Air Tripping.

Also, Sakurai's said a few things that eventually turned out to not be true. Don't make me go back and find them.

Who knows, maybe it is a glitch that's a side effect of normal tripping. Maybe Sakurai doesn't call it slipping (tripping). Maybe, he just hates our guts and likes to put in random **** to screw up our tournaments. Does it matter? It exists and it's hardly going to be fixed for the US release since it's only a few days off and it took us this long to even get video footage of it.

What, you think some Nintendo employee saw my thread when it was first made, alerted Nintendo to it and told them to fix it? Hardly, it'll probably not be fixed... not even for the PAL version, deemed too small a problem to deal with.

It exists, it happens occasionally and it totally screws up your game if you're above the abyss. You'll fall down and die and there's nothing you can do about it. Congratulations.

Card

Smash Lord

Don't bother. You are reading way too far into this, and straying way off-topic. Yuna is one of the most outspoken "Smash Melee Pro's who hates Brawl". Yuna has his reasons for feeling the way he does with Smash Brawl, but that is neither here nor there. Right now Yuna brought up an excellent point about an issue found in Smash Brawl, and as a community we should be focusing on how to isolate and understand this issue to the fullest, instead of paying attention to any "jabs" given towards Sakurai or the potential competitiveness of the game.

So let's stay on the topic at hand then now shall we?

Well, after reviewing more videos, I can safely say that Sonic goes into his falling animation (the one after his UpB), and not his tumble animation. While similar, they are different.

I am fairly sure that this has to have something to do with his UpB. It has the same effects and animations as if Sonic had used his Up B...but without the UpB actually happening...

He either had a spring already out, or he activated it in such a way that his move was cancelled by the platform drop. That's my guess, anyway.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, after reviewing more videos, I can safely say that Sonic goes into his falling animation (the one after his UpB), and not his tumble animation. While similar, they are different.

I am fairly sure that this has to have something to do with his UpB. It has the same effects and animations as if Sonic had used his Up B...but without the UpB actually happening...

He either had a spring already out, or he activated it in such a way that his move was cancelled by the platform drop. That's my guess, anyway.
The video is of Hitaku. He's activate on these boards, in fact, he's active in this thread. He's devoted a lot of time to researching Ground and Air Tripping.

If he had a spring out (which he didn't as we can clearly tell from the video), he would've realized that that could be a part of the reason and mentioned it. He didn't. There was no spring out. It just happened.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The video is of Hitaku. He's activate on these boards, in fact, he's active in this thread. He's devoted a lot of time to researching Ground and Air Tripping.

If he had a spring out (which he didn't as we can clearly tell from the video), he would've realized that that could be a part of the reason and mentioned it. He didn't. There was no spring out. It just happened.
I feel ignored -_-. (You don't reply to my posts)

I do not believe this is Air Tripping. That is because of a series of things.

1-) He can do Aerials while doing it.
2-) He can't do Special moves, but he can do aerials and can move to the sides (as he dies far horizontally than where he tripped).
3-) He "trips" twice
4-) No invulnerability frames, although this may be because Air Tripping has none, but since this is not confirmed to be Air Tripping, this is a reason
5-) Animation, although Sonic does go into Dashing animation before "tripping". The "tripping" animation does not convince me

I know. I've read most of the thread.

We can't see the other half of the stage in that video, so we can't clearly see anything. But as I don't think he'd post a rigged video to lie to us, I'll go with option B.
Canceling the UpB before it actually happens with a platform drop.

This is nothing like a trip. He goes into the falling animation, doesn't fall faster, and can act with A moves, but not B moves.
It has to involve his Spring Jump in some way. It's properties are identical.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tire of this. Hitaku, please refute all of these arguments yourself (as you're far more capable of doing so being you were the one who did it in the first place).

That would be best, I'd think.

Maybe we can actually get to the bottom of this and figure out what causes it. And more importantly, how to prevent it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Anyways now that I think about it, if this is air tripping, and you can do aerials right away, instantly, then this won't be a problem at all and it does nothing more than gimp your recovery by taking away your Up+B. And how many times do you smash a direction after you're already OUTSIDE the stage, normally you start when you are hit, meaning on top of the stage, and if you trip, you will trip right there (lowering your horizontal momentum, thus helping your recovery, even though it takes away your Up + B), which will actually be good for you, because you don't go flying away, and you can do an aerial instantly if your opponent tries to punish you.

(Note that I do not believe this is Air Tripping, but in the rare case that it was then the above paragraph reflects some of the thinking I've done) (The above paragraph could be wrong and should not be taken as literal facts, it is just what I think this "trip" would be used like)

Revven

FrankerZ
This is nothing like a trip. He goes into the falling animation, doesn't fall faster, and can act with A moves, but not B moves.
It has to involve his Spring Jump in some way. It's properties are identical.
That's what I was thinking, but Hitaku didn't mention anything about doing an Up B... which is why I implored him (when he can) to try to replicate what he did except, do an Up B after going through the platform. If that doesn't cause it, then, that's one possibility down the drain. Until that is done, I will continue to believe that there is some form of connection between this and Sonic's Up B.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyways now that I think about it, if this is air tripping, and you can do aerials right away, instantly, then this won't be a problem at all and it does nothing more than gimp your recovery by taking away your Up+B. And how many times do you smash a direction after you're already OUTSIDE the stage, normally you start when you are hit, meaning on top of the stage, and if you trip, you will trip right there (lowering your horizontal momentum, thus helping your recovery, even though it takes away your Up + B), which will actually be good for you, because you don't go flying away, and you can do an aerial instantly if your opponent tries to punish you.
I didn't smash a direction when I air tripped. I air tripped while in mid-float trying to float by holding the stick. It seems pretty random.

Also, the Fair didn't come out right away despite Hitaku spamming all buttons, so you lag for a while during which time there's nothing you can do.

You cannot jump or Up B after the Air Trip (which should also remove the option of air dodging)(if what Hitaku did was indeed Air Tripping). If you're off stage and are trying to recover, you will die, even if you make it back onstage because the opponent is still free to kick your ***.

That's what I was thinking, but Hitaku didn't mention anything about doing an Up B... which is why I implored him (when he can) to try to replicate what he did except, do an Up B after going through the platform. If that doesn't cause it, then, that's one possibility down the drain. Until that is done, I will continue to believe that there is some form of connection between this and Sonic's Up B.
It's got nothing to do with doing an Up B before it. Hitaku said nothing of this. He's also tried to replicate it by doing the exact same things over and over. Obviously it's not something that can be done on command. It's quite random, much like normal tripping.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I didn't smash a direction when I air tripped. I air tripped while in mid-float trying to float by holding the stick. It seems pretty random.
Huh? This defies all logic, that would be just stupid. (I can't believe they would do it that way :( )

Also, the Fair didn't come out right away despite Hitaku spamming all buttons, so you lag for a while during which time there's nothing you can do.
He starts tripping at 0:08, and his F-Air comes out at 0:09, now lets take into account that this video is slowed down, that means the lag after an Air Trip is very minimal (less than half a second it seems) And Sonic was at 140%, so % doesn't matter here.

You cannot jump or Up B after the Air Trip (which should also remove the option of air dodging)(if what Hitaku did was indeed Air Tripping). If you're off stage and are trying to recover, you will die, even if you make it back onstage because the opponent is still free to kick your ***.
If you make it back onstage, then it will be the same thing as if you had jumped while onstage, you can still Fastfall, do Aerials and move horizontally, so the only difference is you have no B moves, which most characters dont use on the Air Anyways.

So if you do make it back onstage then you can counter his approach with your own aerial.

And why exactly would it remove Air Dodging? Air Dodging has nothing to do with Jumping or Up+B.

Anyways another thing I just though about is that Sonic is the only character than can move after Up+B, maybe he is the only one who gets his Up+B taken away, or maybe he is the only one capable of doing Aerials after the Trip. This is just speculation.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you make it back onstage, then it will be the same thing as if you had jumped while onstage, you can still Fastfall, do Aerials and move horizontally, so the only difference is you have no B moves, which most characters dont use on the Air Anyways.
Have you completely been ignoring all of my posts about Air Tripping?!

The only reason I called it Air Tripping was because besides being seemingly rare (much rarer than Ground Tripping) and completely random, when you landed (and, yes, you didn't fall as fast as when spiked, not as Peach either), you landed on your behind (like from Ground Tripping with or without a bana peel) and you had to get up using that weird rolling animation-thingie!

The point is that it's not like you just lost your Up B. You've Air Tripped. You can't do much and even if you land, you'll be at a disadvantage... despite not doing anything wrong.

So if you do make it back onstage then you can counter his approach with your own aerial.
Depends on who you are and who the opponent are. Against Marth as someone with little range and priority? Not so much.

And why exactly would it remove Air Dodging? Air Dodging has nothing to do with Jumping or Up+B.
Because you cannot airdodge while tumbling, though Sonic is apparently not tumbling in the video.

Anyways another thing I just though about is that Sonic is the only character than can move after Up+B, maybe he is the only one who gets his Up+B taken away, or maybe he is the only one capable of doing Aerials after the Trip. This is just speculation.
Why would Sonic be the only one to lose the ability to Up B after Air Tripping?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Have you completely been ignoring all of my posts about Air Tripping?!

The only reason I called it Air Tripping was because besides being seemingly rare (much rarer than Ground Tripping) and completely random, when you landed (and, yes, you didn't fall as fast as when spiked, not as Peach either), you landed on your behind (like from Ground Tripping with or without a bana peel) and you had to get up using that weird rolling animation-thingie!

The point is that it's not like you just lost your Up B. You've Air Tripped. You can't do much and even if you land, you'll be at a disadvantage... despite not doing anything wrong.
I haven't been ignoring your posts, but your posts are about Air Tripping, mine are about the video, and only the video.

If you were to do an aerial right before landing, you would Waveland into the normal animation, I don't see how you would suddenly be on your "I just tripped animation" when you just did an aerial. And if you DO land on the "I just tripped" animation, then that would open up for Strong (laggy) aerials, as you would have no lag afterwards and instead you would just have to roll out of it (the trip).

Depends on who you are and who the opponent are. Against Marth as someone with little range and priority? Not so much.
Then you try to avoid his aerial and just fast fall, then roll out of your animation while he is in his aerial lag.

Because you cannot airdodge while tumbling, though Sonic is apparently not tumbling in the video.

Why would Sonic be the only one to lose the ability to Up B after Air Tripping?

I didn't know that.

Because of the weird properties of his Up+B, its completely unique, you never know.

And maybe he is the only one able to move after an Air Trip because he does not have an (I forgot the exact name of it) animation, where you can't move after doing an Up+B.

Top Bottom