• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ahoy, Matey! Tetra Support Thread

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Not that we need a character with another one of these, but what do you guys think of a counter for Tetra's Down Special that acts like Link's counter in the Wind Waker? She could quickly roll behind the opponent's attack and slash at them from behind.
Get out.

No I'm kidding
maybe

Last edited:

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
Not that we need a character with another one of these, but what do you guys think of a counter for Tetra's Down Special that acts like Link's counter in the Wind Waker? She could quickly roll behind the opponent's attack and slash at them from behind.
I kind of thought of her down B being a spoils bag. Think about it. She could randomly toss chu jelly at her opponents. I was thinking that the jelly could do 1 of 2 things. It could either have different effects depending on the random color you get or it could just prevent the opponent from moving for a few seconds. Just me though.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
A counter where the character jumps behind the opponent could be unique and have aerial follow-ups. But as theres already sooo many counters, how bout it just be a custom, eh? Everybody wins.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I want Tetra to be in as a lightweight Sheik clone, and pull out her dagger for a taunt.

Seriously though, I'm tempted to say that Tetra has the highest chance as a Zelda DLC character, but I'm honestly not sure. There's never really been one Zelda character that stuck out with the community as the one character that everyone said "Oh yeah, that's gonna be Zelda newcomer."
That strikes me as odd, because almost every other already-in-smash series had that.
- Mario had Bowser Jr.
- Pokémon had Mewtwo (who also represented the idea of having am XY Pokémon, which we got in Greninja)
- Fire Emblem had Chrom and Robin (who the community was split between, with most leaning to Chrom because of the Gematsu Leak)
- Kid Icarus has Palutena

Even series that didn't get a newcomer at launch date have the ideal DLC newcomer in the eyes of the community.
- Donkey Kong Country has K. Rool and Dixie Kong (community is split)
- Kirby has Bandana Dee
- F-Zero has Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow (community is split)
- StarFox has Krystal

But Zelda doesn't have that one character that sticks out as the ideal newcomer, the closest thing we had was Ghirahim, but even then he was a one-shot villain.
There are several characters that could be newcomers, like Impa, Tetra, Vaati, and Classic Pig Ganon, but none really stick out above the others.

Maybe it's because Zelda has all of its main characters, and anything else would just be a side character who is pretty unimportant in the long run.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Things to add
- Mario had Bowser Jr.
And Rosalina

- Fire Emblem had Chrom and Robin (who the community was split between, with most leaning to Chrom because of the Gematsu Leak)
And Lucina. And that one guy who just wouldn't let Micah go.

- F-Zero has Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow (community is split)
Most of those B. Shadow supporters are Zelda fans who want to have their cake and eat it by giving Ganondorf a sword moveset while still keeping the old one.

Maybe it's because Zelda has all of its main characters, and anything else would just be a side character who is pretty unimportant in the long run.
Zelda occupies the weird space between static cast (Mario, Kirby, Sonic) and fluid cast (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Custom Robo) where the characters are different versions of each other. The only deviations are Sheik who was Zelda's gimmick but is now kept to preserve a moveset and Toon Link who replaced Young Link and represents the Toon aesthetic.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Sorry but nonono, Tetra can't be a Sheik clone, doesnt fit her personality at all, Sheik is a ninja! Tetra wouldn't and couldn't bouncing fish or throw needles.
The great thing about Tetra that sets her apart from other potential Zelda newcomers is that she has to be unique, where as Impa (the zelda newcomer with most popularity from what I've seen) has to bring little to the table by also being a Sheikah.

That's what makes Tetra so much better, at least that's what I think. We have no one like her yet. A bossy badass princess pirate. You need to be creative about her!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I guess my counter suggestion wasn't too popular. :lol:
I thought it would look pretty cool and be a good way to represent an actual move from the Wind Waker, but with how many counters characters tend to have this time around, I can see why many wouldn't care for another one.

@ Sonsa Sonsa I completely agree. Tetra has the most to offer out of the Zelda characters when it comes to bringing something unique to Smash. It makes me ponder why she isn't a more popular choice among the community.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if there's anything Phantom Hourglass related that Tetra could use.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've been thinking about Zelda newcomers for the ballot since I want one in particular very, very badly even though no matter how many votes it gets they probably won't happen...
But I also support Tetra since she could be interesting, and, more importantly, fun! None of the current Zelda cast stands out to me and that is sad, as I would really like to be playing a Zelda character regularly.

@ Scamper52596 Scamper52596 I actually really like your Counter suggestion, and I don't think one more counter is going to change things very much considering how many we already have.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I mean, she doesn't havta use the items exactly like Link would. Get creative!

Like maybe she could have a down-b where she plants a chest that does nothing while it does the dadadada jingle, and after that spits out some rupees that do decent damage, low knockback, but keep the opponent in place due to a combo effect similar to Villager's fireworks. A tricky, wise pirate like Tetra could easily have a few trick chests! The rupees could even be rupoors with their distinct sound-effect. Of course to keep this balanced, you could only have one out at a time and it'd be hard to land as no smart opponent would just jump in there, but the reward of potential combos/kills and stage control would make it a great move.

Or maybe she can have a weird and unique move where she sets a plank down over a ledge or platform to extend her grounded moves' range! That could lead to some crazy set-ups, but would be useless when there's no edge. Might even help with recovery as she could plant a plank as she passes the ledge, uses her second jump and grabs the plank while an opponent had already begun charging a smash uselessly!

While nothing from Phantom Hourglass looks that different from Windwaker, unless you'd use the hourglass itself, the snake whip from Spirit Tracks could be fun! Tetra could toss this at someone to tie their legs and send them into a set amount of tumble. A pretty fun set-up side-b, but sounds really powerful off-stage, so maybe should be a set amount of range until it just loses effect and drifts away. And only can be tossed linearly horizontally.

Anything's possible, ya don't havta be exact to represent the character and their personality. Get crazy!

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
@ Kenith Kenith
Thanks. For an aerial counter I was imagining her getting a boost upwards and flipping over the opponent to attack from above. I believe that was a counter animation that could happen in the Wind Waker too when Link went to whack a Darknut's helmet off.
I'm sorry that your favorite Zelda characters kicked the bucket before DLC for the game was announced, but thanks for still coming around to root for Tetra with us. It means a lot.

@ Sonsa Sonsa
Hmm. Maybe she could use the Hyoi Pear to guide a Seagull around as you move about the stage, thus creating a moving hitbox. It could damage anyone it runs into. Eventually the seagull would catch up to you and take the Pear away, so the move wouldn't last forever. Just a thought off the top of my head.

?????????????

Smash Master
I mean, Sheik has plenty of moves that have pretty much nothing to do with Ocarina of Time. They're just "being a ninja" moves. Tetra can and should have plenty of "being a pirate" moves. I'm thinking of May from Guilty Gear and Ruby Heart from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as references.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
@ Kenith Kenith
Thanks. For an aerial counter I was imagining her getting a boost upwards and flipping over the opponent to attack from above. I believe that was a counter animation that could happen in the Wind Waker too when Link went to whack a Darknut's helmet off.
I'm sorry that your favorite Zelda characters kicked the bucket before DLC for the game was announced, but thanks for still coming around to root for Tetra with us. It means a lot.

@ Sonsa Sonsa
Hmm. Maybe she could use the Hyoi Pear to guide a Seagull around as you move about the stage, thus creating a moving hitbox. It could damage anyone it runs into. Eventually the seagull would catch up to you and take the Pear away, so the move wouldn't last forever. Just a thought off the top of my head.
Sounds good, kinda like PK Thunder, but with Tetra needing much better balance, and she has more movement. Interesting, hadn't though of how the pair could be used! For some reason I imagine Tetra being less patient and more kind, so maybe a variation with more style and so the seagull gets the pear immediately. I can't get the idea of an up-smash based on this outta my head, where she tosses the pear up and two seagulls slice in and take a bite making an X symbol. Maybe your idea is better... Maybe both could be in as customs.

She could also use those red berry things to trip opponents!

And when I was imagining the X symbol, the phrase "X marks the spot" came to mind, very piratey. Maybe she'd have a move similar to Peacock from skullgirl where certain equipment comes from the sky. Tetra marks an X somewhere and can later say "Fire!" and have a cannonball or some Windwaker easter eggs slam down to the spot. Cannonball, the sacred orbs, Makar, etc! Catch is it wouldnt last very long, at most as long as Villager's tree does, and the X won't be huge or anything.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
@ Kenith Kenith

@ Sonsa Sonsa
I've been summoned.

:018:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only semi-related but check this out.

Remember when he was wanted in Smash?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Been a while.

Tetra is the only Zelda character I'd be cool with in truth. Impa just seems like she was either a Sheik replacement or they wanted her in her Hyrule Warriors for because Cloud won't be in.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Been a while.

Tetra is the only Zelda character I'd be cool with in truth. Impa just seems like she was either a Sheik replacement or they wanted her in her Hyrule Warriors for because Cloud won't be in.
Personally, it's either Tetra, Classic Ganon and Agitha. I'd also mention Tingle and Midna.

Impa is cool, but... Dunno. I really like her in HW and SS, but she is a bit too hyped for "nothing" to me.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
I support, She was my first vote. Tetra (Toon Sheik) and Toon Zelda were suppost to be characters in brawl but they were cut... So I am sure Sakurai has notes around his office of what their movesets would be.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Tetra would also help level out the Pirate representation in game along with K. Rool. We got two Ninja and no Pirates

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Although most people on these boards would disagree, I personally think Tetra is more likely than Impa if we were to actually get a DLC Zelda character. She was in the last 3D Zelda game (even if it was a remake) so she could represent an actual 3D Zelda title on the Wii U, she possibly could have been planned to be in Brawl, she would have to be unique, they could bring back the Pirate Ship stage as DLC to go along with her, and she's also Zelda so I'd imagine that would give her more priority than people give her credit for. Seems to have worked for Sheik.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Although most people on these boards would disagree, I personally think Tetra is more likely than Impa if we were to actually get a DLC Zelda character. She was in the last 3D Zelda game (even if it was a remake) so she could represent an actual 3D Zelda title on the Wii U, she possibly could have been planned to be in Brawl, she would have to be unique, they could bring back the Pirate Ship stage as DLC to go along with her, and she's also Zelda so I'd imagine that would give her more priority than people give her credit for. Seems to have worked for Sheik.
"But it's a third Zelda!" :troll:

I think that being a Toon character is also a good point, allowing her to blend well with Toon Link (and making him less alone).

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
"But it's a third Zelda!" :troll:

I think that being a Toon character is also a good point, allowing her to blend well with Toon Link (and making him less alone).
Ah, yes. The "third Zelda" argument. I've definitely dealt with that one in the past, and my rebuttal has always been, "We almost had four in Brawl, so I don't think a third Zelda who's literally nothing like the other two is of much concern to Sakurai."

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ah, yes. The "third Zelda" argument. I've definitely dealt with that one in the past, and my rebuttal has always been, "We almost had four in Brawl, so I don't think a third Zelda who's literally nothing like the other two is of much concern to Sakurai."
Exactly. I agree when people don't want the return of Young Link, but except the triforce of Wisdom, Zelda, Sheik and Tetra have nothing in common. They even can be seen as 3 differents Zelda from 3 games! Although Zelda and Link have a "general representation" role, despite their TP look (Zelda's spells and Phantom, for exemple).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Especially if you follow my head canon of Sheik being Ocarina Zelda in 4, while Twilight Zelda is her descendant.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Eh, when people say another Zelda I'm always like "Oh yeah, I guess so, but this one's a pirate and loves being a pirate so will likely be nothing like magic zelda or ninja zelda." I dunno, it always surprises me, cause...Zelda and Sheik, yeah, theyre the same person, but I see Tetra's relationship to Zelda as...not the same person, but a Marth Lucina kinda situation. Sure, they're in the same family, but uh... so are Bowser and Bowser Jr? I dunno, just doesnt really matter.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
It seems to be a big competition on which Zelda character deserves to be in Smash 4 DLC,. However, I would strongly believe that the next installment would address the crowd by adding in more Toon characters (Zelda, Tetra, Ganondorf) plus one more from any Zelda Series (Lana, Impa, Pig Gannon, etc.).

If that happens, then the Zelda will catch up to Mario in terms of numbers in series roster.

I strongly believe that the toon series is more likely to be used for future newcomers because the sales number for both the GC original and Wii U remake sold over 5 million units total. Also, both Toon Zelda and Tetra were planned characters in Brawl before they were cut.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What if Tetra could build a pole with a grappling hook on it, whose lantern at the bottom damages opponents and she can use the rope to swing back and forth.

Tetra could also use the barrels from Forsaken Fortress, bombs, Deku Leaf, Huyioiu- Pears and all the rest.

My dream rep for The Legend of Zelda is still "Beedle and Small Fry" as a tag team, but Tetra was one of my first most wanted and the only one from my beginning of speculation not in yet.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I would actually be OK with that. Maybe even support that.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I really like the idea of the plank move for use on ledges, especially now that ledge occupation is more fluid (in Smash 4). I also agree that there's nothing wrong with having generic, pirate-inspired attacks as long as they fit the character and would seem plausible, though I would hope Tetra would still have some basis in her own games for some of her attacks. I never liked how generic Sheik's moveset was and is. It pulls nothing whatsoever from the Zelda series, except for Vanish, maybe, and that's stretching things.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I would actually be OK with that. Maybe even support that.
It could even have the little sound effect you get from the counter move in Wind Waker when it activates.

I really like the idea of the plank move for use on ledges, especially now that ledge occupation is more fluid (in Smash 4).
Could you tell me how this suggestion might work from your perspective? Would it extend the amount of room you have to fight at the edge of the stage for a short period of time? Would other characters be able to use it too? Can it take damage from attacks causing it to break? It sounds like an interesting move.

Top Bottom