• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Agressive Jiggs. Some tips.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that when I see other jiggs players, I tend to feel a bit unorthadox in my playstyle. Rarely (if ever) do I see a jiggs constantly assaulting the enemy with a barrage of aerials, forcing the opponent to retreat. Nor do I see jiggs players keeping one eye on the foe, and the other on the foe's dammage meter to know when exactly to strike with the wicked drillrest! Jigglypuff CAN INDEED be played as an Offensive puffball, and I reccomend that if your current playstyle is a bit lacking, you should give it a try!

Abusing Short Hopped Double Fair/Bairs is an amazing way to pressure opponents (learn to do it without getting shield grabbed!). This allows Jiggs to land an easy Sourspotted->Sweetspotted Fair for either a KO or a chance to gimp the enemy.

Pound is truly an amazing move. You don't have to know the moves with the most priorty by memory to notice that Pound is pretty high up there. Use it to approach and bounce off of the shields of those who try to shield grab you (rising pound)! Use it when you are close to a shield (while in the air of course) to pass through the shield entirely, ensuring that the enemy will have a hard time trying to punish you with any speedy aerials or Hyphen Smashes. Use it to hit through those hard to gimp revoveries (Fox/Falco Illusion, etc.)! Use it and use it wisely!

Gimp em! Gimping is one of the harder things to master when maining the Pink Nightmare™, but you should definitely devote some time to it if you wish to improve your playstyle and overall performance. Sourspotted Fair and Nair will be your weapons of choise here. Just hit the enemy once as they try so dearly to recover and try to "Trace" their DI with your own, and read when they are going to jump/Up B, and then STRIKE! Using a rising Nair to intercept them could very well cost them that teeny tiny inch they needed to grab the edge. Does the enemy have one of those recoveries that pause before they actually recover (Fox/Falco/Wolf/Snake)? Hit them with a late Fair while/before they begin the move to make them drop a few feet. Practice it against characters that give you a hard time and above all PLEASE do not forget how many jumps you have remaining! Did I mention Down Smash? Use it when you can space yourself so that the enemy will land right within range and use Dsmash to send them back to where they started, or to their grave.

BOOST SMASH!: I know a lot of people pass off the technique as useless for a character that has almost no ground game, but think about it: Jigglypuff's ground speed is SLOW, BUT the boost smash is FAST. Work on implementing it into your game! Make the enemy feel safe from a small distance then proceed to crush their dreams by performing the lightning fast Boost Smash!

Drillrest: Ah. Here we are. Jigglypuff's bread and butter. The almighty drillrest.

To do it you simply Short Hop a rising Down Air and, IF they trip in the middle of the kicks (with practice you'll get the feel for when this happens), center yourself on the way down, and Rest as soon as you touch the floor, reasulting in a KO depening on damage percent.

The best way to perfect this is to first get a rough estimate at what percent the character you are facing will be KO'd by drill rest. Then...GO for it!

The beautiful thing about Jigglypuff's Drillrest is it's "Fear Factor". As soon as you start going for Drillrests the other player will most likely hold down the shield button in hopes that they will block rest. The thing is: You don't have to Rest!

Mix it up by making it look like you are going to drill rest, then just grab them while they hold their shield up! You can actually just spam this tactic to rack up damage from throws, drillkicks, and a few aerials(after you throw them) untill you get a chance to actually finish them off with Drillrest!

Il'l include links to things like Drillrest Data, and stuff later since I am posting all this from my Wii.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Not bad coming from a wii :p

I'm an "unorthodox" 'puff m'self, and I quite often use the faux drillrest. Yes, Jigglypuff CAN be aggressive. If only more people could use her this way... Ah well, best of luck and nice post.

DJ Kat

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm a total noob at this kind of thing, but how does someone pull off two fairs/ bairs without being shield grabbed or punished by other attacks? I totally gave up on it.

...And rising pound shield to avoid shield grabs? Jesus, show me that in a video so I can memorize it!

Metatitan

Smash Master
I tend to use shieldgrabs as more offense than defense, letting them hit my shield to try and break out of a "combo" and punishing them with a sh shieldjumped fair, nair, rest, or shieldgrab

Veril

Frame Savant
Aggressive Jiggs, a tip: Learn to use the waveland / falldash and LCS to chain things together and vastly improve your grab abilities.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Lol being too aggressive OR defensive with any character is a terrible idea. Just capitalize on mistakes. If they're ever off stage be the most offensive mother****er that has ever played Brawl. When they're on stage wait around a bit until they're spacing is off and capitalize. In the long run Jiggz (And pretty much all characters) should be playing defensively.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
Lol being too aggressive OR defensive with any character is a terrible idea. Just capitalize on mistakes. If they're ever off stage be the most offensive mother****er that has ever played Brawl. When they're on stage wait around a bit until they're spacing is off and capitalize. In the long run Jiggz (And pretty much all characters) should be playing defensively.
Agreed. If you're overly offensive, then you can and will be punished by good players. Especially Jigglypuff. The name of the game is predictability. If your opponent knows what you're going to do next, then s/he has a much greater chance of countering the attack. Again, especially since Jiggs has crappy priority, you're probably more likely to get screwed over. Constant pounds, fairs, bairs, etc might work online but they get you punished hard irl. (That doesn't mean play overly defensive - again, if the opponent predicts you're going to shield/airdodge/whatnot, s/he can punish it).

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Third'd

The ability to flow between ground play and air play, defensive and offensive is my biggest advantage as a player. I can't out button someone with aerials, but keep mix'n it up and the opponents bound to make a mistake. Even if they don't they will be playing with your rules, in your time.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm probably way more aggressive than I should be. It gets to a point of predictability, which is horrible when every move you make is countered with ease. :(

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm probably way more aggressive than I should be. It gets to a point of predictability, which is horrible when every move you make is countered with ease. :(
It depends. Being overly defensive is less risky. Mostly because when you're playing defensively, you have more time to react, and you focus on your enemy. Most people call playing defensively camping, but it's just them crying. Playing defensively puts up a wall thats hard to break through. Playing aggressively puts up another wall, which is Brawl is easier to take down.

What I'm saying is: You should play aggressively when the time is right, but focus on yourself and play defensively. Jigglypuff doesn't last long offensively, but is good offensively.

Glick

Smash Lord
I'm WAY to aggressive. However I've developed my way to not get grabbed to a science. Its nearly muscle memory now.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Offense takes up 2/3 s of jigg's meta game. WoP in the air, but WoP on the ground is fun. (yes you can do it) Pivot mindgames, dacus, throws, F-smash. I have been using them and on the ground jiggs still *****.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
depends on the matchup. u have to play fast characters defensivly, projectile users/heavies offensively.
chain grabbers is a mix. and falco and fox ur just screwed

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
depends on the matchup. u have to play fast characters defensivly, projectile users/heavies offensively.
chain grabbers is a mix. and falco and fox ur just screwed
chain grabbing does not work on jiggs. Only IC's does. Projectile users you should charge at and stay close to. Apperently fox does not sort hop his drill rests anymore. He high jumps them and fast falls you. Fox and Falco are not hard with jiggs if you charge them. sheild the drill rests (annoying gure xD) and avoid spikes.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
chain grabbing does not work on jiggs. Only IC's does. Projectile users you should charge at and stay close to. Apperently fox does not sort hop his drill rests anymore. He high jumps them and fast falls you. Fox and Falco are not hard with jiggs if you charge them. sheild the drill rests (annoying gure xD) and avoid spikes.
This. Fox and Falco almost HAVE to play defensively against a good jiggs. Stay airborne and approach from above to avoid the lasers and Phantasms/Illusions. Dsmash near the edge will seriously screw them over.

Veril

Frame Savant
I do not agree with the idea of an "offensive" Jiggs. You need to play very cautiously with her and wait for openings, at which point hit with a b-air, juggle, pound, DACUS but don't charge in. You have to be doing at least twice as much damage to them as they are to you. The trick to offense isn't barraging them with attacks, its creating that opening. Jiggs requires patience. Also... grab. A lot.

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
I do not agree with the idea of an "offensive" Jiggs. You need to play very cautiously with her and wait for openings, at which point hit with a b-air, juggle, pound, DACUS but don't charge in. You have to be doing at least twice as much damage to them as they are to you. The trick to offense isn't barraging them with attacks, its creating that opening. Jiggs requires patience. Also... grab. A lot.
I disagree with your not agreeing. I tend to use jiggly alot more offensively than most other characters. my secondary character is bowser, but I use bowser much more cautiously than jiggly. Jiggly can put on the pressure much easyer then most characters. I think offense is a very good play style, for me at least, but a defensive player can fight just as well, especialy with all the rest data we have now, but I do agree with the end of your statement, grab alot!

PND

Smash Champion
My style has been shifting to be way too offensive recently, and I need to tone it down. The trick is actually finding a middle ground, that's how to play her. Stay in their faces, but out of range. Learn some brick walls / traps and learn when to swap between pressure and defensive when it is most applicable.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I disagree with your not agreeing. I tend to use jiggly alot more offensively than most other characters. my secondary character is bowser, but I use bowser much more cautiously than jiggly. Jiggly can put on the pressure much easyer then most characters. I think offense is a very good play style, for me at least, but a defensive player can fight just as well, especialy with all the rest data we have now, but I do agree with the end of your statement, grab alot!
I think what he is trying to say is smart aggression. Everything is focused on baiting and punishing. The rushing in is mostly well spaced Bairs to get your opponent to try and hit you, when you punish with WoPs. It's like GaW aggression. You can throw Bairs at htem, but you should really be spacing with them to create an opening. You are still the agressor, just not appearing to be. Mostly because Brawl is a completely defensive game and Jigglypuff dies faster than anyone else.

Top Bottom