• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Aftermath's Guide to Samus

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Homing missiles arn't bad, and I don't this Cap'n ever said they were, its just most times samus has better options (namely the super missle)

Edit:
Homing missles in some situations are good for mind games, and forcing an advance retreat (they should always be missile canceled thoughnot only do they take long to shoot that super missles, but they have much longer recovery)... I guess, and like you mentioned it does screw up some character's recoveries when a super missle can't reach the target.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Actually, according to SDM's frame data, the super missile and homing missile take the same time to fire and have the same lag when fired on the ground. When shot in the air though, the super missile comes out faster (6 or 8 frames i think), but they both have the same total animation time.

Bridget_n_Roger

Smash Rookie
HEY! did you guy's know that samus has a uf/ud dmash and tilt! and i found out about that luigi has the same thing...I know it sounds n00b-ish but i never see any information on it like its percentage and what not....i jes wanted to let you poople know that...maybe you can find out how to abuse that attack too ^_^

Aftermath

Smash Champion
if you are talking about angling the attack (only ftilt and fsmash) then yes it is common knowledge. They're abbreviated to ufsmash, dfsmash, uftilt, and dftilt. A lot of characters can angle their attacks. It is easily "abused" i guess, since it's pretty easy to do and the dftilt and dfsmash are good for edgeguarding. All angled attacks do the same percent, but have very slightly different trajectories that they send the opponent. any sort of DI pretty much negates these variations though, since the DI difference is much larger than those between angles.

If that's not what you are talking about, then might you explain uf/ud dsmash better and/or clearer?

ledjin

Smash Apprentice
I think I´ll start playing Samus for a while :p
is Samus effective against Sheik? I´ve started reading the guide, but haven´t finished, and I´m having rough times against a Sheik, me using Doc, and I wanna try Samus but... not until I know a trick or two with her ;) that´s why I ended up here with this guide

Ganon player...

Joker

Smash Ace
Order your new Spam Blocker: Samus Edition ( as seen in my banner)

Only $19.99 ( Sh.4.95) while supplies last :ohwell:

stargirl

Smash Apprentice
Joker said:
Order your new Spam Blocker: Samus Edition ( as seen in my banner)

Only $19.99 ( Sh.4.95) while supplies last :ohwell:
LOL
Best Signurature ever! :colorful:

**** space animals!

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about a Samus strategy I tend to abuse.

When missle cancelling, I usually let it fly and just charge my beam for a second or two. Now, I periodically shoot one, and then shoulder-dash straight into the missile and my opponent. They sometimes both hit and send my adversary flying in a state of shock and confusion. BTW, I usually end up fighting a die-hard Fox/Falco who would rather just stand and reflect my missile than jump like normal people. When this happens, my missile 8/10 times will be negated by my dash-A and I score a direct hit with my shoulder.

Good strategy, no? Or is it kinda risky?

Afo

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I´m new at the boards and haven´t posted much really, so hows it going??
I would apreciate it if someone could explain how to perform a "beam cancel", I´ve been trying to do it but can´t seem to pull it off correctly (it´s not explained that much at the beggining of this thread)

P.D. sorry for posting this twice but is was on the wrong thread

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
A beam cancel is dropping a bomb, airdodging into the blast radius and then grappling, the bomb will then effectively cancel your grapple allowing you to do another move or whatever

Aftermath

Smash Champion
That's a bomb canceled grapple actually. A beam cancel is when you do a grapple and for whatever reason, the stage "cuts" the grapple beam. It can be done purposely by first doing a Rising Grapple.

The Rising Grapple is done by airdodging upwards and doing the grapple (A or Z) just as the airdodge starts. Once you get this down (just practice onstage, you can try the beam cancel)

What you do is just perform a Rising Grapple, but close enough to the edge of the stage that the grapple attaches itself to the side. While you are going upwards, some section of the stage will "cut" the grapple by sticking into it. Once this happens, you are in a tumbling animation, but can attack or do anything you want (except an airdodge) out of it.

If that wasn't explained clearly enough, or you'd like to see a visual representation of it, here is a video guide that shows many of the things explained in my written guide.

sadisticbore

Smash Journeyman
hey do u think i could get a list of samus counters, cuz as far as im concerned they r

sheik marth falco peach and so im told link and ganon

sadisticbore

Smash Journeyman
capn crunch

hey just a ? but r u sure on what u said bout cutting the grapple, i know exactly what ur talking bout and i do it all the time, i thought i made it up but that isnt the point, um its easy to perform on final d. if u perform a rising grapple while kinda low by the side of the stage u will hit the top and samus tumbles in the air, but f u do it a lil higher she will launch up fliping and cant move until she hits the floor, she looks like she does after she performs and airdodge, i think the 2nd 1 is worthless but some say it has less lag. she has many different ways of recovery and thats great. but the purpose for the 1st 1 is if someone chases u when off the stage, hopefully peach, then u could sex kick her in the face and u could bombjump right afterward and hit the sweet spot plus it makes players impatient and they **** up.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
Cap'n Crunch: Thank you for making this guide! I recently started playing as Samus, and I can't begin to explain how much this guide helped. Thanks!

Office_Shredder

Smash Ace
While the guide is nice, the forward smash section is a little confusing (possibly because I just started using samus)...

Never before have I heard someone mention tilting smash attacks up and down, nor have I been able to successfully alter the vertical direction of my forward smash. Can someone clarify exactly how you get samus's forward smash to tilt up or down, as opposed to normal? Or am I just incredibly confused....

Oo AetheR oO

Smash Rookie
Good stuff!
I already knew some of this stuff, but it's a generally great guide to build a solid samus.
What about Dthrow into Charged beam? I do it a lot, can it be teched by fast fallers?

p-wee

Smash Rookie
Good stuff!
I already knew some of this stuff, but it's a generally great guide to build a solid samus.
What about Dthrow into Charged beam? I do it a lot, can it be teched by fast fallers?

RE: yes it can. My buddy uses falco/fox and that move is basicly renderd useless when ever i fight him.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a long time. I'll answer the questions that haven't been since my last posting, and hopefully the people who asked still visit smashboards.

Sadisticbore - I'd say counters to Samus vary mainly on the Samus, but I'd say that the only true counter to Samus is Sheik, although HugS would say she isn't one. Other than that, Samus has a hard time against Falco, Falcon, Marth, and Fox. I'm not sure if Link is a counter, but I find myself having a lot of trouble with him too. But yeah, Samus' counters will vary widely depending on who you ask, but the ones I named will most likely come up most.

For your other question, I'm not totally sure what you're asking, but yes, Beam Canceling into an attack can be very effective if the opponent is either trying to come out for you and not expecting something, or if they hang on the edge too long and don't get up in tome to avoid being hit. But yeah, I use Beam Canceling and the Rising Grapple a ton when I play, probably too much, but it does throw off some people's game, like you said.

Gonzales - Glad I could help, always makes it worth it to know that this helped or inspired someone. Keep a lookout for the accompanying video I plan on releasing soon to go along with this guide, well, it'll be solely on techniques, but I may throw in some examples of set-ups and other things.

LeX - Uh, I could add Ganon, but like, if I were to go back and change much of this, I'd really get caught just re-editing the entire thing to be more current and in tune with what I've learned in the last couple years. Yes, that would be a very good thing for this guide, which many have said is outdated, but I'm not sure I want to put that much time into it again. Maybe once Summer rolls around though.

I'll try to make a quick paragraph for Ganon based on the ones I've played. If you go onto FD, make sure to throw out as many missiles as you can, but don't always approach the same way behind them, sometimes try to jump above and drop or meet with a sex kick, maybe run up and go for a grab, maybe hope he shields and run behind the missile and past him, then stand behind him and wait for him to do something. Usually when I'm in that position, I hope they don't try to upB towards me, because there's not much you can do for that if you were too close. Normally though, I just wait and as soon as I see him do anything, I go for a uftilt (up-angled forward tilt = uftilt) and then try to either sex kick or follow up with something else. The main thing is to just try to control his movement and always be ready to throw out a tilt or smash if the ganon goes for a overB or downB. More than anything else though, and it's a bit less important on FD than elsewhere, is just to try to stay on the ground most of the time, Shorthop sex kicks are fine, but you really don't want to be in the air too much against Ganon. Also, uair and fair chain like a beast on FD, so if the opponent DIs badly or is at the right %, you can chain a few of these together and end with a sex kick, then proceed to edgeguard. I always suggest a dfsmash, although sometimes a sex kick off the stage can be just more devastating. I'd say to not use the meteor, just because Samus' isn't all that great and when they meteor cancel, chances are you're going to get grabbed, and so it's either a wall tech or a stage spike. utilts work pretty well, but when you would use them, if Ganon's recovering high, lets him DI up really high and actually help him make it back next time. In that situation, I'd shorthop a sex kick or jump up and missile him, but sometimes those allow for the same thing, so you just have to see how you're comfortable edgeguarding him.

On platformed stages, I always try to stay on the bottom level and look for any opening to get ganon above me, once he is, uair or fair is your best choice. They both stun him for quite a bit, so chances are you'll be able to land on a platform and go for another before he can wiggle free or anything. The biggest detriment to Samus' game on most platform stages is that she can't use her missiles as effectively, so I try to stay in close and just go for dtilts, ftilts, and any fsmashes I can find the time for. One thing that I found really helped me against Ganon was doing friendlies with one on stages like Yoshi's Story and Kongo Jungle 64. The disadvantage Samus is at there really helps you work on how to survive against Ganon and use your limited options as best as possible.

Office_Shredder To angle the attacks (ftilt and fsmash are the only ones I think) you simply tilt the control stick about halfway between the diagonal corner and the sides. It's the same spot you'd angle the control stick to to do the farthest wavedash. If you want actual numeric angles, I think the range is somewhere around 15-35 degrees either up or down from the horizontals. It takes some practice to get down well, but if you can already do the farthest wavedash consistently, it's just about the same spot so it's only remembering to angle the attack that will be hard to learn. Also, something super tricky I figured out about the farthest downward angle the other day, if Samus stands right next to a Peach facing her, the Peach can't shield the dfsmash. I think she can't even do it with the lightshield, but I can't remember if I tested it or not, if someone else could I'd appreciate it greatly. But yeah, very risky to do and unbelievably situational, but I've already won a few matches with that being a pretty deciding factor, so there could be potential if you mindgamed into it well enough. So far the best thing I have is to shoot a missile and wd behind it, since Samus stays in the missile pretty much, and then just fsmash the shield as soon as I get there, and usually the Peach is either still in lag or will hold the shield so you can get the hit, but there's always the chance of getting grabbed, which has happened a lot more than I'd have liked.

Oo AetheR oO Yes, like p-wee said, they can tech it. However, one thing you can do is expect them to tech, and as soon as you see where they're going shoot the beam at them. I've found that it'll usually hit them just as they're standing up out of the invulnerability and when it's too early to shield. It's not the most reliable thing, but you can throw it out and I've always had a relatively high success rate with it, although now that I think about it, I stopped doing that for reasons I can't remember. Personally, I've always thought it was a good trick, and at higher %s, like 120% or something, they'll be in the air long enough for you to just shoot them and have a guaranteed kill. On platformed stages though, make sure they're not going to land on one of them before you shoot, it sucks wasting a beam.

Yeah, hopefully that was useful and I think I'll actually try to post or at least check in here a bit more often, so if you do have questions, feel free to ask. And yeah, that means I'll most likely start editing this extensively soon, so like any input on how to change things to make them clearer or alterations to the format would be appreciated.

EDIT: Yay, good post for my 1,000th! Glad I didn't waste it somehow.

The Darkness

Smash Cadet
Help vs peach xDD

well this guide has help me alot, specially the wavedash section .

i´ve played Smash since 64, nd i want to SSBM to be my first NGC Title, but i didnt know the advanced tactics.

i´ve been playing with a friend and he´s a god**** annoying peach, he only throws me into the air and when i finally touch the ground he sends me flying with a dsmash that gives me like 40%, and then starts throwing turnips when im recovering, hitting my bombs or me u_u ( he also shield most of my attacks, and i cant shield his attacks ¬¬)

i would aprecciate a "vs peach guide" or something that might be useful for me ^^

please help this Noob xD

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
great samus guide. I been using her alot lately. and did pretty good w/ her in my last tourney against sheiks(though i went back to my doc when it started getting serious). I find her very useful against sheik, since she can't be comboed and crap as easily as everyone else, and the sheik has to fight entirely different from usual to win. CCing D.smashes to edgehog for the win =D

Metalix_Reshef

Smash Rookie
oh wow that was kind of helpful actually
i play as samus as my main character and i use most of the things you say but i still haven't gotten down the wavedash anyway i like the guide to beating marth

:ohwell: i wonder why samus has a couple alternatives to her normal B moves thats wierd

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The Darkness I always thought of making a Peach guide, but always held off since I didn't get that much practice against them. I still don't, but next time I go to Washington and play against Sastopher I'll try and post some in-depth strategies and stuff, otherwise I'd just be telling you to try tricks that work on less-than-exemplary Peaches (although the other character strategies are also out of date).

For just some general tips, if you're getting comboed out of Peach's throw, you're DIing wrong. If you don't try to DI much, now's a good time to start. The best combo throw for Peach is the Dthrow, which should be DI'd towards her back (I think this is the right way, you go way farther away from Peach DIing this direction if it's correct). Then, after you do that, come down with an attack of some sort, as she'll most likely be coming at you with something. Bombs will let you bounce off of her, as well as hitting with the second hit and giving a tiny bit of stun. Missiles get canceled and you get hit. Sex kicks and fairs are also good bets, but make sure to time it correctly so that, at worst, you trade hits. If you're getting hit for 40% in the dsmash, make a larger effort to DI up and forward anytime you see the dsmash coming (unless you're at high percent, then go up and backward). As for getting shielded and grabbed, I'm not sure that there's all that much you can do about it, if you're not Lcanceling though, that's definitely the reason you're getting grabbed. How I try to avoid getting grabbed when I land in front of someone is to try and jab their shield or jab them before they get the grab off. It doesn't always work, but it can sometimes buy you some time. Other than that, I can't really remember much else at the moment, especially on how to avoid getting grabbed. Oh, make sure that you do a lot of sex kicks and bairs, both are pretty good killing moves and the bair can outrange and outprioritize just about everything of peach's, although peach's fair still goes through it.

Yeah, sorry about going another month without updating this, I just never saw any new posts in it, although now I won't rely on the "New Post" picture and I'll just look at the date and last poster to see if I need to check it.

The Darkness

Smash Cadet
Thanx Cap´n, since the post, i have improved a little bit, Peach can barely kill me, if i dont kill her first, and like you say, i make a lot of sex kicks, and im improving my L-canceled, also im using a lot the dair, and the bombs are useful as hell. Another thing im improving is my WD, it has been very useful in a lot of matches, but sometimes i jump and airdodge, its something i like to improve.

im hoping to make a vid vs peach, and another characters, but im still a noob, so dont spect a lot xD.

and again thanx, its gonna be useful ^^

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
i read through this guide again. it's nice and all, but it says d-tilt is samus's best tilt
>_>, wat happened to her f-tilt?

S P I K E

Smash Ace
Just came to let you know, I love your guide. it helped me when I was nub. =D Good work.

EDIT: And yes... I still think f-tilt is the best.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm starting to play with Samus more and more. I even used him in a tournament. :chuckle:

Excellent guide, Aftermath. I look forward to someday facing off with you: Young Link vs. Samus (insert dramatic showdown theme song here)

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for spending time to write this guide. I recently been playing with Samus, and I find her movesets work well with my playstyle. I like the tips on each attack, as well as suggestions to matchups.

Top Bottom