• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Aftermath's Guide to Samus

zitanix

Smash Cadet
I generally hold the opposite direction I want to go, then flick it across. This either: A), works, B), sends me backwards, or C), does nothing. I get into a 'groove' as well sometimes, where I can do it multiple times in a row, but I have no idea why.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
That's the correct way to do it zitanix. The other ways are a lot harder. Like you said first press the oppostie direction you want to go then right when your about to come out of the ball(which is usually close to when you hit thte ground) hit the other direction. Don't hold the dirsection though because you'll stop. Also if your controller is kind of new it has a really good reflex so when it comes back it actually goes the other way a little. This will lead to doing the super wave dash but in the opposite direction. The whole thing requires you to know your controller, and find the timing. Once you do that it's fairly easy to get it consistantly. Of course, you might not always get it on the first try, but that's the risk you take. Plus ifyou don't even know when you're going to do it how will your opponent? It makes for some nice unpredictability.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
yeah, i kinda forgot to put in the dash attack in the movers list. a couple people i asked said it wasn't important, but i'll put it in soon. I should probably add some more things to the wd section. anyway, at the advice of Grayfox, i'm going to add a little more to the fox section.

tsetse

Smash Lord
Does Samus counter IC's and if so are there any strats for fighting those 2 freaks.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Yes Samus does counter them. And the best strategy is really the same as for any character. Divide and conquer. Samus just has an easy time doing it. Her floatiness also helps her deal with the ICs grab game.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Um. why isn't this thread stickied?

Nudge nudge, moderators. :)

Aftermath, when are the next updates?

Also, I was curious, did you think about putting a Super WaveDash section in there? I know I'm really ****ing tired of all the topics about it, and I'm sure the other Samus players ae here as well, and honestly I don't want to talk much more on the forums about it. However, it seems like it would, hopefully, limit the endless amount of topics that seem to arise on it, were there to be a section in the Samus guide on it.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
wow, this thing is old. I guess i can try to make some updates for the new wave of samus users coming in, but it might not get done for a while. but at the least, i'll add the swd section soon.

shadow963

Smash Rookie
I have used your guide as a reference to fall back on. I have been playing Smash Brothers Since it came out on the 64 and I was always a Samus Player! I have only recently gained my own access to the internet and I never thought about looking up Smash Brothers Stuff.
I feel bad because I am a long time player and only recently loging on makes me look like a nOOb!
It would be good to add the stuff on SWD to help people understand it.
I myself can't SWD very well. But I make up for it in Mega combos!
People I know just stand back and use only Samus's ranged attacks. Samus is not a friggen turret! She has awesome moves. (GO METEOR SMASH!)

Good Stuff Chief!

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Heh, thanks Mic That was a rather quick response to my nudge a few posts back. Big Brotha Smash really does seem to be listening. Remember, War (smash) is Peace. :p

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
shadow963 said:
I have used your guide as a reference to fall back on. I have been playing Smash Brothers Since it came out on the 64 and I was always a Samus Player! I have only recently gained my own access to the internet and I never thought about looking up Smash Brothers Stuff.
I feel bad because I am a long time player and only recently loging on makes me look like a nOOb!
It would be good to add the stuff on SWD to help people understand it.
I myself can't SWD very well. But I make up for it in Mega combos!
People I know just stand back and use only Samus's ranged attacks. Samus is not a friggen turret! She has awesome moves. (GO METEOR SMASH!)

Good Stuff Chief!
Where do you live shadow? I would like to play someone with mega combos.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Mega combos? Well, I can get normal combos down. And if I'm good I can get those super combos rolling. But only every now and then do I achieve mega combo status, and then there's the rare time when I accidentally do Ultra Combos. And I've heard of Super-Mega-Ultra-*****-You-Up Combos, but I've never actually seen them in action. I figured they were just myth, but perhaps someone can demonstrate them for me...

Aftermath

Smash Champion
ok, i added a couple small sections. I finally put in the Dash Attack, added a Super Wavedash Section, and a Shorthop Double Aerial section. I am completely taking credit for shorthop double aerials, as i haven't really seen/heard much of it. to find the new things, just ctrl+f "Dash Attack", "The Super Wavedash" and "Shorthop Double Aerials".

anyway, as always, post ideas and/or improvements i could make. just a side note, the character strategies are pretty old, and i'm not sure they apply much, so give me your opinion to whether i should just scrap them, or keep them for the new people who may be abel to use some things like that. If i scrap them, i doubt i'll replace them for a long time.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Cap'n Crunch said:
2) Immediately start holding left or right, and then at the appropriate time smash teh control stick in the opposite direction.
Just pointing out that you don't have to start holding the stick immediately after dropping a bomb. You can start holding it immediately, or you can a while and start holding it then. The reason for this is that sometimes your opponent may be in a position to punish you during the 41 frames after you lay the bomb. DIng as far away from the opponent as possible during this time is advised, so you can safely get into the actual SWD without eating an fsmash through your bomb.

I also advise everyone to learn method 2. For it you have to learn the most precise timing, but it is the most useful in my opinion, because

#1 You only need one quick flick of the stick (when you go into the SWD). Because of this, the opponent can't react to your controller sound. Doing two or three flicks tells them there's a SWD coming.

#2 You'll actually be able to control the distance of the SWD better. Just flicking the stick halfway once will let you do a shorter SWD, often more useful than going full lenghth.

But very good job on the SWD guide, maybe we'll have less topics on it now. :)

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Yeah, i think everyone started with the basic #2 and then made their own variations to suit themselves. although i must say that even 3 flicks really doesn't give the opponent much time to react, as you're actually flicking it pretty fast if you do it right (at least i think i flick it pretty fast).

Anyway, i did make some minor changes, such as fixing the typo in WMK's quote of the guide and adding more to the Good Times to Use section for the dash attack per HugS advice. I basically paraphrased what he said to me in the hub last night, so credit goes to him if you win a tournament because of it. i also tried rewording the swd method a bit better, and added a little more explanation allowing me to be vague in the next paragraph.

shadow963

Smash Rookie
To get mega combos with Samus is easy. You just do a combination of normal attacks, Grabs, smash attacks and air attacks. Duh! As Lanowen said. There isnt realy a Samus that can't do mega combos.

I dont realy play as other characters that much but i am sure they can all come out with mega combos. Just keep the pressure on and dont let them get a hit in. I personaly find it easier to keep the enemy in the air all the time. Sex kicks, meteor smashes, and other arial attacks.
But when i play im usualy playing againgst my brother who Mains Young Link so its easy to keep him flying (just as long as he doesnt sneak in a Dair attack).

The other people i play with are not that good. Some are kind of good, But thats just because they stay away from the battle then come in at the last minute with a cheap shot. Those idiots are not even worth mentioning. So enough said.

HugS I live in South Australia, so i doubt theres much chance of playing me. But seriously, Just ask any Samus player if they can pull off mega combos. They all can! Then just play one of the hundreds of us out there. Im sure theres one close to you!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
That depends. For me, which move i do is influenced by how much percentage i have. At low%, i edgehop a fair, at higher, i go for a sex kick. the dair i reserve for times when the opponent has a lot of lag or is recovering under me. However, it is really fun to do from the edge.

stargirl

Smash Apprentice
I kinda skimmed through this and I don't plan on ever reading this again since I'm no Samus newb. You have a nice guide there though. Idk if u put enough info on the usefulness on her down b move though :3

Joker

Smash Ace
:ohwell: See you were cool with me at first,......but once again a female smasher has dissapointed me.. :( .....and they both PlayED samus :urg: wtf is up with yall man? got the most fun character in the game and just up and retire......gay :mad: And i really wanted to play you too.. :urg: but now i dont since your retired and all....out of practise.....thats real corny yo :(

If thats the case someone close her account, and take that **** avatar away.......she doesnt deserve it anymore :chuckle:

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
awesome guide.

i read the marth section but my friend plays marth and he keeps me in the air. how would you get out of it most effectively? i tried down b, ff, teching..i still get hit up and combo-ed again. pls help this noob

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
M3Ca, you're going to want to fake the Marth out as much as possible to get down. If you can't simply fastfall downwards to the ground (i.e., he's standing there waiting and can respond whenever you move), you have to do a few things.
Firstly, make sure you have your second jump and you don't just use it randomly when you're recovering.
Second, I generally approach by starting off bomb jumping, and then you can play mindgames from there. When he's used to you bomb jumping, maybe lay one bomb and instead of laying the second, DI away and fastfall. he may already have moved to where that first bomb is thinking you would be there. Or, you can airdodge an attack and fastfall to the ground while he's lagging. And you can always float off to the sides, and then recover from the edge or something. You just have to mix it up, and unfortunately there's no clearcut way to get past a Marth like that, except to try and outsmart him.

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
thanks a lot. i shall try some of the things u said to more precision.

it seems like i spin in the air a lot when i get hit. (the same spinning after getting hit by a red shell) how come i lose my jumps? i often have to bomb jump, but once again marth slashes through those. also when i lay a bomb and DI away from marth, he can ftilt and slash me before i finish my fastfall. hence i cant CC and i fly into the air. is it just my timing?

pls tolerate my noobness.

oh i read "The Who/What/When/Where/Why of Samus" too. just wanted to thank u Fleur de Lis.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
One think that hasn't been mentioned yet that you can do from time to time is Falling Grapple. Instead of airdodging up and doing the Rising Grapple, do it with a downwards airdodge.

Thomaz

Smash Lord
Hm, kinda just read your guide for real (only skimmed it a few times. ;_; ), but anyway, great guide. I think I'm gonna try out that shield bombing trick vs Sheik, I haven't tried that yet, lol.

Also, I was wondering, what I generally do when I'm hanging on the edge, because I just came back, is ledgewavedashing onto it and work from there. It's pretty fast and if your 'enemy' is very close to the edge, you can wavedash behind him and Fsmash. For me, it's just another option from the edge. Any thoughts about it?

stargirl

Smash Apprentice
Joker said:
:ohwell: See you were cool with me at first,......but once again a female smasher has dissapointed me.. :( .....and they both PlayED samus :urg: wtf is up with yall man? got the most fun character in the game and just up and retire......gay :mad: And i really wanted to play you too.. :urg: but now i dont since your retired and all....out of practise.....thats real corny yo :(

If thats the case someone close her account, and take that **** avatar away.......she doesnt deserve it anymore :chuckle:
:( What's wrong for retiring, I mean, I have no reason to keep playing. I have much more important things to deal with for now. :ohwell: Btw, the other person you meant was Dyna?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I was thinking of adding something to the guide, an edgeguarding section, but wanted to see if you guys think it's a good idea before i put my time into it. It would basically just include the most basic tactics like dfsmashing on the edge, or dftilting and going off with sex kicks and stuff. More than that though, i'd try to put in some common tricks each character would use to make it back to the ledge and maybe some ways to counter it. This would be something i'd probably add to periodically, as some characters might be bare at first or not include tricks (does bowser have tricks?). I'd also accept some stuff that any of you would like to type up. Just make sure it has good grammar and accurate tips.

Echo

Smash Champion
uuuuuuh... ignore your first post? or ignore the second one lol, i thinkin about leavin stuff but than you said to ignore it O_O

M3ca

Smash Apprentice
he meant the 2nd post.

i think it would be a great idea to include as much as possible. i learnt a lot from the guide and i dont think extra information would hurt. it would definetly help us noobs. thanks in advance.

InFlames

Smash Rookie
Wow...well i'm going to try to get the hang of the Wave-dash...sounds like its is very usefull

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Well, I decided that I'm going to start working on the edgeguard stuff. I'll have what i finish up soon, but it probably won't have all the characters and might be pretty bare bones. If you want to comment, only add stuff for the characters I've posted, since that makes more sense, since you don't know what I'll write for the other people. In order to avoid the whole "omg, why didn't you put this character(s) in?!" I'll be doing it from the order on the character select, starting with Doc, moving Right along the top row, then going to falco, moving across to the right again, then going to Pichu and making my way towards Roy. Yes, I will have individual sections for Sheik and Zelda.

Edit: I finished the first four characters, so there isn't much. Go ahead and post if you think anything should be changed, but keep in mind that this should be fairly general things that work most of the time and not highly situational strats. So like something you'd try every match or something. I'm thinking of removing what i said for Mario about the bair cape thing, since it is very unlikely and i've only done it a couple times, and not against good Marios.

Da illest

Banned via Administration
It was good guide but the homing missles are really good.For peach especially and to mess people comming back on da stage,especially fox and falco,it would stun them then u can hit em wit a straight missle or a blast.

Top Bottom