• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ADHD needs your help

Bellioes

Smash Lord
lol thata cool I actually thought that was me but I just didnt remember when I edited it
Wish I could be a mod :ohwell:
Well I call the red diddy who mains a... yellow diddy 0_o

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
9 months a year I'm in Ohio.
3 months a year I'm in Maryland.

However, if you want a technical breakdown, roughly 30 weekends a year I am away from both of my main home locations (traveling for Smash/MLG events/misc things).

Speaking of MW, are you coming to the next circuit event? I'm gonna give lessons to any Diddy who wants to learn stuff.

Count

Smash Champion
I might be there AZ, I dunno what else there is for me to learn my main problem is just reading people and what not, whatevs. I also may be heading down to IU that weekend so I'm not sure yet.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Count you should showwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This is gonna be like the biggest Brawl event in the MW in some time I think.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Count you should showwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This is gonna be like the biggest Brawl event in the MW in some time I think.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I couldn't figure out how to delete your entire double post, AZ, so I just gave you an infraction instead and edited your relationship status with your girlfriend on Facebook.

I HAVE A NEW GEE EFF

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Did someone mention a moderator Hijack?

I play against this one ******** Snake that always takes his opponents to Port Town, and always owns hard.
Such a good strategy. It's amazing.
Gotta learn port town like AZ, rofl.

I wish I could edit posts in here and be cool like the Southwest boys (And AZ).

EDIT: I call Australia's king monkey, My apprentice Gords is second. Our Crew Battle ditto's are epic.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just so everyone knows my new counterpick is actually Norfair. I think I'm like 15-1 on that stage so far this year (doubles included). The best thing is that it catches the opponent hugely off guard.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here are the keys to Norfair:

You lose nana mobility and nana locking.

Nana locking isn't that big a deal though because against really good people it is rare you will land the locks, its usually one nana hit > dash attack > air attack or one nana hit > grab > look for follow up nana hit/dash attack/edge guard.

On Norfair you can basically set up camp on whatever the lowest safe platform is and the opponent has to approach from the crappiest of positions (usually just straight above). Then, on top of this, your Bair when the opponent is over 50%, Fair when they are over 30%, fthrow/bthrow when they are over 30-40%, have great trajectories for sending people into lava. (compare this to MK where you basically have to be over 50-60% for anything to have a reasonable chance of sending you into the lava before you recover). Not only that but Diddy is quick enough to do lava combo's, which are fun as hell when you land them.

Another note is that, while Diddy has an amazing recover as it is, on Norfair Diddy is basically UNGIMPABLE, its crazy, your Side-B is so sexy on this stage for moving between platforms, for recovering, for everything. Then even if you can't get back to the stage by humping you can still barrel and choose one of three edges, making it so the opponent can't touch you.

Finally, Norfair is like PTAD in the respect that if you know the stage you will never (or I guess very rarely) get killed by it, while you can almost assume an opponent who doesn't know the stage will get gimped by the stage at least once. Even without the gimp KO's though, intentional lava KO's aid Diddy in his weakest attribute: KO power.

Count

Smash Champion
I will try AZ. I need to play some good players again, I haven't played kyari or wifi in a while so that just leaves the people I wreck here on campus :(. MW event sounds fun though I would have to find a ride however!

Count

Smash Champion
Alright thanks I will probably send them a message, this should probably be taken to a PM but will this be a more than one day/night event?

Teh Future

Smash Master
^wtf no, you ***** inui and did well against M2K.

I dont think there is anything in general wrong against your game vs meat knight, m2k beat you because hes good, not because his character is good imo.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I think he was talking about the matchup on Norfair. I think makes fighting MK unnecesairly more difficult than if you were to pick a more traditionnal stage like FD. But I have been having success on this stage against other characters (wolf and olimar especially) but it could just be that they were unprepared :ohwell:
Anyways, thanks for the advice AZ ^_^

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think he was talking about the matchup on Norfair. I think makes fighting MK unnecesairly more difficult than if you were to pick a more traditionnal stage like FD. But I have been having success on this stage against other characters (wolf and olimar especially) but it could just be that they were unprepared :ohwell:
Anyways, thanks for the advice AZ ^_^
uhhh...norfair is one of Olimar's best stages and he's one of Diddy's hardest matchups, I'd NEVER CP Norfair against an Olimar

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well it seems to work for me
Just camp the bottom platform. This elimates many of Olimars approaches cause he has to come from above where hes weakest. Like AZ said, its very hard to get gimped on Norfair so you wont be dying early from edgeguarding and its a big enough stage for you to survive to at least 150%. If they try to camp you with the Pikmin Toss, you can throw peanuts and bananas (But I wouldnt take a campy Olimar to Norfair... I agree with you on that at least). I know its unorthodox but it works for me (against the aggresive Olimars Ive been playing against at least) but if I play a more campy Olimar, Id probably go to Frigate instead. Just my opinion. :D

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well it seems to work for me
Just camp the bottom platform. This elimates many of Olimars approaches cause he has to come from above where hes weakest. Like AZ said, its very hard to get gimped on Norfair so you wont be dying early from edgeguarding and its a big enough stage for you to survive to at least 150%. If they try to camp you with the Pikmin Toss, you can throw peanuts and bananas (But I wouldnt take a campy Olimar to Norfair... I agree with you on that at least). I know its unorthodox but it works for me (against the aggresive Olimars Ive been playing against at least) but if I play a more campy Olimar, Id probably go to Frigate instead. Just my opinion. :D
Well everything on here is pretty much wrong.

1. Olimar doesn't need to approach, Olimar's camping>Diddy's camping. What will you do once the lava rises? You'll have to go to the next platform, but if you get on the opposite platform(s) he'll just throw pikmin and if you go on the same side as him then he can just spam his smashes or aerials if the lava only covers the first platform

2. Once Olimar gets on that bottom platform, he can just spam his spames, mainly his down smash, it's VERY fast and powerful with most pikmin.

3. Exactly, it's very hard to get gimped on Norfair, that should NOT be a problem for Diddy, but Olimar is one of the easiest characters in the game to gimp, why would you want to eliminate that?

4. If they try to camp you with pikmin you'll throw bananas and pop popguns? What? You do realise that there are more pikmin and more control for olimar than Diddy, you will NEVER win in a camping war with Olimar.

5. I'd rather take a campy Olimar to Norfair than an aggressive Olimar. Where is there to camp on Norfair for Olimar. Unless the lava rises and you guys get seperated, there is really nowhere, the Olimar player is forces to approach you if they want to rack up damage. If they're at the top or middle platform then you get on the bottom platform and they camp the bottom platform then go to the top, you can't really camp Norfair.

If you're winning like you say you are then you're not playing very good Olimars, sorry but it's probably true.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
9 months a year I'm in Ohio.
3 months a year I'm in Maryland.

However, if you want a technical breakdown, roughly 30 weekends a year I am away from both of my main home locations (traveling for Smash/MLG events/misc things).

Speaking of MW, are you coming to the next circuit event? I'm gonna give lessons to any Diddy who wants to learn stuff.
Permission johns say hi. I'd love to go and really want to go, but my parents freak out at the thought of me going anywhere an hour away, let alone OOS. People were offering me rides too, but D:

As far as my Diddy goes, I've basically learned just about everything technical wise, and I'm using Wi-Fi (lol) to get more analytical of what people do. I really just need more match and match-up experience (very comfortable against Snakes, Links, ROBs, etc., but some people like Olimar and Wario scare the $@#% out of me).

But yeah, unless there ends up being a circuit event in Indianapolis or really any tournament in Indianapolis or like 45 minutes away, I can't go. I can't go to anything until late May to early August (lolsummerbreak) because my older brother will be home and I'll have transportation and permission, yay.

backontopic: Olimar@norfair=wut. Most Olimars I play are really campy and wait to approach, then go super aggressive. Norfair wouldn't be a campy Oli's best stage, but I'd still be scared to ever play him there. I usually CP Orpheon or RC.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I always ban norfair if its allowed because that stage is not fair like its title, its just dumb and everyone I play offline there planks me or runs the timer.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meh, it only works as a counter pick when you already know the persons main. ADHD you are so good you should be able to take any non-MK main there and win.

Regarding Olimar: he isn't easy to gimp. Any good Olimar will be very difficult to gimp and I would say his recovery is of the same gimpablity as Snake just in a different way. Olimar on Norfair is all about who can maintain control of the lowest platform, because approaching Oli from beneith = amazing but approaching Oli from in front/sorta on top = BAD.

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
I always ban norfair if its allowed because that stage is not fair like its title, its just dumb and everyone I play offline there planks me or runs the timer.
When I attend tournaments-strings that I've never been to before, I judge the quality of the tourney beforehand by if they do or do not have Norfair as a CP.

Nuff said.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Meh, it only works as a counter pick when you already know the persons main. ADHD you are so good you should be able to take any non-MK main there and win.

Regarding Olimar: he isn't easy to gimp. Any good Olimar will be very difficult to gimp and I would say his recovery is of the same gimpablity as Snake just in a different way. Olimar on Norfair is all about who can maintain control of the lowest platform, because approaching Oli from beneith = amazing but approaching Oli from in front/sorta on top = BAD.
I have to disagree, Olimar is easy to gimp compared to most of the cast, but good Olimar players are 'difficult' to gimp as compared to average Olimars

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Shrug. I don't count Oli's that aren't named Andy or Blackwaltz. You can gimp em, but you won't have a success rate any better then against dair'ing Snakes up-b.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've gimped blackwaltz XD Olimar is so prone to diddy's side b footstool combo thing

Player-1

Smash Legend
Shrug. I don't count Oli's that aren't named Andy or Blackwaltz. You can gimp em, but you won't have a success rate any better then against dair'ing Snakes up-b.
Well luckily not every Olimar player is Andy or Blackwaltz and we don't fight Blackwaltz. Also, for the record, I do gimp Andy usually at least once a set with him when I play him on wifi, same with dabuz.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I played AndyG at ChiboSempai's on and off all weekend during CoT4. He is a smart and amazing player. I met up with BlackWaltz during our second round of Loser's Bracket sets. He is also frighteningly great.

Fortunately for me, sheer skill alone does not always solve Olimar's issues with getting back onto the stage. His recovery arguably has the most linear and predictable trajectory in the game, and I've come up with a couple of setups that have a high success ratio of interrupting his recovery route. Olimar has very limited options once you get him off the stage, and it's not inconceivable for you to at least be able to harass Olimars every time, especially once they expend their second jumps.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Well luckily not every Olimar player is Andy or Blackwaltz and we don't fight Blackwaltz. Also, for the record, I do gimp Andy usually at least once a set with him when I play him on wifi, same with dabuz.
yeah, cause you gimped me last time we played >.>

/sarcasm

also, remember, whistle>edgegaurding, upair>edgehogging, di+sdi up>failed recovery range

also, norfair is a really olimar player style based stage, some olis are great on it and others like me would prefer rc, its good and bad for oli, but he has better cps in this match

Player-1

Smash Legend
yeah, cause you gimped me last time we played >.>

/sarcasm

also, remember, whistle>edgegaurding, upair>edgehogging, di+sdi up>failed recovery range

also, norfair is a really olimar player style based stage, some olis are great on it and others like me would prefer rc, its good and bad for oli, but he has better cps in this match
...yeah...I did gimp you last time we played...

Top Bottom