• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [ACT] Thread: Dancing Blade Aug 18th, Ultimate Wednesday Nights!

Bogoron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bogoron
3DS FC
2406-5420-2675
also for that 1 character tourney I think it would be good if a few other high tiers were banned too, maybe snake and
d3? even things out abit
But not Wario right? ...Right?

Anyway, I've made another effort to attend smash meets and it's turned out well.
I'm good to go but I'll need a lift to get to both Luke's and Isaac's places.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
haha we'll see, wario is currently 3rd on the tier list

anyways I'm sure we can sort something out, what suburb do you live in?

Silfa

Smash Ace
Sorry for the lag today satra. My sister got home just as we started playing and went straight to the computer. GGs. Do you have your wii back now?

I might not be able to make the meet this weekend, but I'll just wait and see what happens.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Sorry for the lag today satra. My sister got home just as we started playing and went straight to the computer. GGs. Do you have your wii back now?

I might not be able to make the meet this weekend, but I'll just wait and see what happens.
Nah I didn't mind the lag although secretly I was raging inside when I would do stupid things :mad:. Such a shame I didn't get to Brawl Luke today, I ended up playing wi-fi all day and now I feel my skill has diminished greatly thanks to the lag in the matches I had today.

I need to build up the kind of endurance that you guys have. I play for like 3 hours and I'm mind******.

Anyways good games Jon, are you like maining Game and Watch now? We gotta do some DI practise, I gotta learn how to DI out of that turtle and punish it, also I want to survive a bit longer. So you gotta teach me all that next time we meet.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Yeah. When I play wifi I feel I get more matchup experience but get slightly worse in my offline play (atleast for the first few games I play offline anyway). Lol at the picture.

Game and watch just seems like a cool character that I've never really played. I just feel like learning to play him a bit. I dunno how to DI out of turtle though (I really have like no knowledge of g&w), but it might be upwards? We can figure it out I guess.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah friday's meet is a meh meet that'll probably just be me and scabe, maybe jambo?
but saturday is the one to make jon, I can give you lifts as need per usual, same for you scabe.

anyways sorry about today scabe, I tried calling you and then went to bed and missed you by like 20 minutes and then I was like half asleep but not really getting much sleep all day and now I'm ****ed.

I wish my internet was working, instead of wifi I had just started watching heaps on matches on youtube closly and jotting down what was and wasnt working and ideas to try out and stuff, but now I cant do that...

I once saw jon di the turtle around G&W and back into the turtle 3 times in the one turtle hitbox, it was amazing ;)

edit- if you guys are planning on coming to mine and need to contact me for whatever reason, you'll have to do it by txt - 0424 846 576 - I finish work at 8 and my internet is broken at home.

I'll also be asleep most of the day ;)

Throwback

Smash Lord
Scabe I dunno if you were playing as Jiggs vs GW, but apparently it's at least 80:20 in GW's favour. Also dunno if you can DI out of turtle, if you can I believe it's extremely difficult.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Thats OK about yesterday Luke. My mom`s taking one of the cars so I won`t be sure if I come but I`m pretty sure my brother doesn`t have work so it`s all good. As for Saturday, I can`t stay too late because I got work the next day. I start at 12.

And I was using Link against Game and Watch. I read somewhere that you can punish the turtle and I`ve seen a vid of someone DI out of it with Link. But I`ll have to try with with Jiggs too.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok well if you want a lift to isaac's place (which is not very far from yours) you'll need to pm me your adress before 6pm

isaac you should have been there last night, jambo was playing samus and he pulled off one of those new dash attack cancel shield moves, straight into a down air spike and wrecked everyone, it was sick, we were gonna save the replay thanks to the infinte replay codes but I forgot...
if only there was a code to make me remember stuff like that.

also balanced brawl is ****, not like that half ***** brawl + ****, I'ma talk about it all night tonight untill you guys rage at me ;)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah it was a mad kill. We should try and re-create it.

Some of the texture hacks were nice, hopefully you`ll have more by tonight.

I didn't really see much difference in Balanced Brawl which is kinda dissapointing to me. But it`ll be very interesting to see how people go in tourneys.

BTW, How did Luke and Silfa get that pink username with pranked on it? :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
pink name? SCABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
pink name? SCABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! It was totally worth that reaction. :chuckle: No reaction from Silfa though... :mad::mad::mad::mad088:

Good night on Smash on Saturday with Bogoron coming along. :)
Is anyone still hyped about Balanced Brawl? I think I'm already over it to be honest. :ohwell:
But recently I saw a Brawl+ vid and now I want to give that a try. :lick:
It's a good watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZBImJv8HbQ&fmt=22 not only for the combos but for the textures as well.

Anyways, I have found my new love...
:samus2: Might consider maining/or using her more after seeing some of the potential she had on Saturday.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
nah I dunno, brawl + looks good but it feels clunky and sloppy.

anyways, scabe if your free this week anyday between 6pm and 9pm let me know, I needs practice.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
nah I dunno, brawl + looks good but it feels clunky and sloppy.

anyways, scabe if your free this week anyday between 6pm and 9pm let me know, I needs practice.
Did you watch that Brawl+ combo vid link that I put up? It looks freaking epic to me :love: And the textures on the stages and characters are win!

Anyways I was looking at this thread: http://www.smashboards.com /showthread.php?t=232139
Here's an excerpt:

Rank A (HOLY ****) (41.79%) [11.11%]
:snake: 1. Snake (2 wins, 5 top2, 7 top4, 5 top8) - 167.53 [14.55%] ~ +1 ~
:metaknight: 2. Meta Knight (3 wins, 2 top2, 7 top4, 9 top8) - 134.52 [11.68%] ~ -1 ~
:toonlink: 3. Toon Link (2 wins, 0 top2, 1 top4, 3 top8) - 92.30 [8.01%] ~ +1 ~
:diddy: 4. Diddy Kong (1 wins, 1 top2, 3 top4, 6 top8) - 86.75 [7.53%] ~ -1 ~
...And it gave me a rough idea on what the Australian scene is like. :idea:
As you can see the rank A characters must be the characters that you'll commonly see in Australian Tourneys. So my goal is to study these matchups in order working my from top to bottom starting with Snake. I'll be taking Sun Tsu (however you spell it) advice on 'Learning the enemy' and I'll be studying the guides of those specific characters. Hopefully it'll help with the matchup. It'll take some time, but hopefully it'll pay off in a months time at Rocky.

So yeah, I need practise against your Snake
(Please no more double entendre/that's what she said jokes >_>) . You gotta help me with hints and stuff, and what I'm doing wrong and hopefully we can save some matches so I can take them home to watch and analyse them.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights look like possibilities for me. But I do have alot of school work to do :urg: I'll text you and make sure to txt me back, so I know I can come! :)

Edit: Btw, I remember I said I'd show you these.

Izaw(Link) vs Calzorz(Snake) Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiNu0dqERIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4VlsaIOtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJRu4_S73vM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NppxHEtrTw

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok cool scabezors, sorry about the not txting you thing, I read all my txts as I wake up half asleep and then forget to reply to them...

I watched that brawl + vid and it was really good, but combo videos are not a real representation of the game, but jon's got brawl + and I can get it too if you wanna play it.

anyways I'll help you with matchup study, and tell you what chars to learn against (toon link is only up there because of crazy perth)

jon's really liking G&W at the moment, I hope he picks him up because we really need the exp against him.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
well i'll be in Melbourne in a few weeks, staying with tibs and Attila so I'll get tibs to show me a few things (unless I'm too lazy and cbf'ed) and you can have a **** diddy to play against.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
double post my thread my rules

so I watched those vids scabe, holy **** I love izaw, he out played that snake by so much yet he had to work really hard due to snakes gayness. (btw is that really europes best snake? I reckon on a good day I could give him a run for his money)

from playing you scabe and watching those matchs I think the best way to play the matchup is kinda like this

step 1. use controlled projectile spam to out camp snake and pressure him (his nades wont work or will backfire and he'll start taking damage and be forced to approach you) - this is someone you can already do quite well scabe

step 2. often once the snake (even I do this sometimes) loses in a camp fest against the link he'll be confused/pissed and rush the approach at you, take advantage of this as long as you can be constantly pushing him back out with projeciles and once he gets closer, zair, zair is really important and can keep you out of tilt range and really pressure the snake and make him start making mistakes that you can punish (with a smash punish when your ready for the kill) - this is something you need to do abit more (the zair part anyway)

step 3. once snake gets in close you should really make good use of jab cancelling and your **** stepdodge, if his damage is high enough just try to hit him out and repeat steps 1 and 2.

step 4. once you get him off the stage this is your chance to really damage him, and this is VERY important because snake doenst die for a long time, he is very vunrable on the cypher (izaw took good advantage of this with bairs, ZAIRS!!! and bombs for when snake was above) you need to do what I call "ground juggleing" and I can show you this in a little more detail but basically you pressure him down to the ground with bombs, empty jumps and faked attacks (sometime you follow through with the attacks to catch him off guard) and then once he lands, thats your opening to attack him. - if you get him off stage at a lowish percent you should be able to gimp him, this is important and we'll go over this in person

step 5. tell him he's **** for losing to the 3rd worst charater in the game with the second best charater.

ALSO - when your damage is high try to stay in the middle to force him to try to kill you vertically, which link is very good at surviving.

ALSO - Snakes really depend on their **** stage control, you can see against izaw, in the first match for example, the snake makes a comeback because izaw let snake get his stage control back and then got ****ed for it, you should be constantly taking away snakes ability to stage control the entire match, its a big focus point, and link does it well him his awesome projectile game plus zair

anyways, thats how I feel, if toby was to come in here, and watch those vids and give you some advice (he is technically an ACT'er - refer to OP -) then that would be awesome, wouldnt it tobes?

also scabe I hate you, WHEN WILL THIS ****ING PINK **** GO AWAY!!!!!

edit - nevermind I fixed it ;)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dont worry jon, I'm pretty sure I know what you were doing wrong, I can help you there

Throwback

Smash Lord
Ok I watched the vids. Luke you shoulda won match 1 for sure.

Jon I agree with shaya's commentary - you didn't do any approach other than bair, and you didn't use bananas. I'm thinking you could 'camp the bananas' so to speak, quite easily with downB and tilts/bair. They are a magnet for both players.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Yeah, thanks Isaac. The bair thing was pretty stupid really. I think I just got overwhelmed by momentum and didn't really have time to think straight, so I just went into spam bair mode. My logic at the time was probably like, bananas = hard to approach by ground, while bair = in the air so no bananas. Very flawed logic though lol.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dont worry jon, I will teach you the skills to suceed, but you must wear and orange and blue gi with my house symbol on the back of it!

Throwback

Smash Lord
Ok so we all know that there are quite a few common (i.e. high-tier) match-ups that the ACT players are unfamiliar with. I propose that every regular ACT player (luke, satra, jon, jambo & me - zier doesn't count cos he can't make friday/sat meets) learns & plays a high-tier character as a genuine secondary.

Learning that character is not for the purpose of switching to that character (unless they want to), but simply so that the other ACT players learn the match-up, which will help them when they go out of state.

Here's how I envisage it so far, but ofc this is completely open:

Luke: Snake (do you want to 2nd another high-tier to help ACT?)
Jon: GW?
Satra: no-one. I personally think diddy would suit you
Jambo: Pika
Me: I'm happy to pick up falco or diddy

What do others think? If you all agree, we really need an MK to practice against. The other key matchup, imo, is diddy.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I like this idea isaac

from the current tier list

S tier

Meta Knight
Snake
Wario
Falco
Diddy Kong
King Dedede

A tier

Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikachu
Olimar
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
kirby

ok so bogo's got wario

jon's really been liking G&W and also ROB, which is good, he's also got a good kirby and can play pika as well so he can be our main source of matchup exp.

satra should pick up no-one higher cause then we'll never win anything anymore :( but I agree with him picking up diddy, his mk is also quite good, he thinks its not but I;m played some of the worlds best and I can see he has the fundamentals right already.

Jambo's liking pika too, but I also feel like MK would really suit his agressive play style (although mk is a too gay for jambo) he also likes playing G&W too from time to time

as for you isaac, I know you like falco, and I'll be honest, I'm not just saying this to make you feel better but last saturday your falco was absoultely destroying my fox (which I think is quite good) and even though it was doubles, when it was us squaring off I really felt like there was nothing I could do.
so I think falco is choice as eh bru?

I've really been liking fox (who will move up and up the list IMO) and luigi as my secondaries and I will use luigi in tourneys, given the right circumstances, fox still needs abit of work before I'm comfortable to use him, but as for high tiers I hate them all except snake.

the only one I dont mind playing is marth so I guess I'll pick him up for you guys, and I'll have a little chat to shaya every now and then so its actually a half decent marth.

Zier will still play with me often and he'll come to sat meets, since we are always out so late I'm simply leave at 930 and return with him around 1030ish, problem solved, and zier's very first mains were olimar and d3.

so imo if everyone went with this is would look something like this

Luke: marth
Jon: GW/ROB
Satra: diddy/MK
Jambo: Pika/mk
piesaac: flaco (see wat I did thar?)
zier: lolimar/d3
bogo: wario
luffy: WHERE THE **** ARE YOU COME TO MEETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
double post because its tradition for me now ;)

meet at yours on sat night isaac?

scabe jambo and jon at mine on friday maybe?

anyways you guys are all going on about diddy, I've played enough diddys in my time to have a general idea of what's up, I know what jon did wrong so on saturday I'll take you all 1 at a time (thats what she said) for some diddy matchup training on the second tv.

tedeth

Smash Master
Oh ACT. You and your crazy antics.

I lierally learned everything about the diddy matchup from watching JJ.

Watch a good player of your character play againt a good player of the other character. Watch what they do. Take note of what they DON'T DO. If there is anyone you know ho might know anything about that matchup, ask them.

eg. Silfa, if you want to learn DK vs Diddy matchup, talk to D0N about it. He's told me he lols at Diddy.

This doesn't just mean keeping it in your own country either. Go to your respective character boards and read the matchups. If you have and questions, ask in a Q&A thread or something.

EDIT: **** luke 3 double posts in 1 page.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Yeah, I got a bit of feedback from the DK boards already on my games. Most of it was stuff I figured out from just watching, while other things that seem obvious I just forgot about at the time (down b). On that page there was another DK who pretty much destroyed a diddy and I feel I learnt a bit from that. Noticing what people don't do has been helpful for me with other matchups in the past, so I should really look into that.

As for the high tier stuff, I seriously reckon Satra should pick up some diddy. He's got that whole projectile placement thing down pretty well with link and I'd imagine he'd just do well anyway. But yeah, we'll probably never win again if he does.

Jambo's pika's pretty good and he plays a bit of G&W too, so that seems pretty g.

I agree that Falco would suit Isaac pretty well.

We've got Snake and wario (and kirby?) covered and D3 and olimar if zier plays those guys. That leaves.. ICs? I don't see any of us picking them up tbh though.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
teds idea is a really good one and you tube is readily available but I always get too bored to study matchups

tbh I find being coached is best, toby and SD taught me alot from coaching, and ted taught me heaps just from playing him, **** ted we need more training weekends, when did you say you wanted to come down to act again? and in 2 weeks time I will have a new car, Sydney road trips woo!

maybe I could convince toby to drive down to act too sometimes, I think making him a magic cd that plays the pokemon theme song on repeat would do the trick.

**** luke 3 double posts in 1 page.
dude I'm hard like that, it impress's the ladies ;)

edit: if you guys ask really nicely I'm sure ted would let you stay at his place sometimes when I drive down there and then you can get pro wolf and wario practice, he also plays good IC's except that he hasn't been able to practice the chinagrab (intentional) for ages due to not owning a wii in a long time.

tedeth

Smash Master
Next time I come to ACT i'll give you all some ICs experience.

About Jambo's pika. I was talking to Foxy about the tourney and he was like "Yeah every match I had was really good... except for the Pika one when I just got CG *****..."

Good work Jambo. :)

Luke you get bored because you have red hair and can't sit still for like 5 seconds.

EDIT: ACT guys are always welcome at my place. :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
that foxy guy was fox is openly decpetive right? I didnt even realise, also didnt he say he was liams brother?

also yes jambo, you sure ***** that 99:1 matchup

Luke you get bored because you have red hair and can't sit still for like 5 seconds.
lol this is so true.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I agree watching vids/reading MU threads is important vs the high tiers, but really you need MU experience for those things to make a difference.

For example, I played my first falco main in Sydney (gopobox). I knew what to do and how to do it, but had never experienced how difficult it is to pay attention to falco AND try to dodge lasers.

Same thing with MK - it's an 80:20 MU against samus, so there's no real way to watch how people play the match. You just have to experience it and figure out what works for you.

tl;dr: vids will only get you so far. MU experience > all

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alright, there's been alot of posting since the last time I was here. That's what I get for not having my own computer anymore :mad::mad::mad::mad088:...:cry: It's good that this thread is picking up, but now I have to go back and reply to all these posts :urg:

First of all thanks for the tips on Snake. Hopefully they'll sink in
when we play.
from playing you scabe and watching those matchs I think the best way to
play the matchup is kinda like this

step 1. use controlled projectile spam to out camp snake and pressure
him (his nades wont work or will backfire and he'll start taking damage
and be forced to approach you) - this is someone you can already do
quite well scabe

step 2. often once the snake (even I do this sometimes) loses in a camp
fest against the link he'll be confused/pissed and rush the approach at
you, take advantage of this as long as you can be constantly pushing him
back out with projeciles and once he gets closer, zair, zair is really
important and can keep you out of tilt range and really pressure the
snake and make him start making mistakes that you can punish (with a
smash punish when your ready for the kill) - this is something you need
to do abit more (the zair part anyway)
I never knew how good it was to spam Zair against Snake. I got to do it
more. I think getting out of his tilt range is definitely important.
step 3. once snake gets in close you should really make good use of jab
cancelling and your **** stepdodge, if his damage is high enough just
try to hit him out and repeat steps 1 and 2.
Do you think if your on high percentages and I'm on low percent
would baiting your grenade counter with a jab cancel be useful against
Snake?
step 4. once you get him off the stage this is your chance to really
damage him, and this is VERY important because snake doenst die for a
long time, he is very vunrable on the cypher (izaw took good advantage
of this with bairs, ZAIRS!!! and bombs for when snake was above) you
need to do what I call "ground juggleing" and I can show you this in a
little more detail but basically you pressure him down to the ground
with bombs, empty jumps and faked attacks (sometime you follow through
with the attacks to catch him off guard) and then once he lands, thats
your opening to attack him. - if you get him off stage at a lowish
percent you should be able to gimp him, this is important and we'll go
over this in person
Yeah Izaw was amazing when he punished Snake for using his cypher
cypher. I find it hard, since Snake always goes up so high.
step 5. tell him he's **** for losing to the 3rd worst charater in the
game with the second best charater.
Best step ever.
ALSO - when your damage is high try to stay in the middle to force him
to try to kill you vertically, which link is very good at surviving.

ALSO - Snakes really depend on their **** stage control, you can see
against izaw, in the first match for example, the snake makes a comeback
because izaw let snake get his stage control back and then got ****ed
for it, you should be constantly taking away snakes ability to stage
control the entire match, its a big focus point, and link does it well
him his awesome projectile game plus zair
Will keep that in mind
also scabe I hate you, WHEN WILL THIS ****ING
PINK **** GO AWAY!!!!!

edit - nevermind I fixed it
FFFFFFFUUU
Satra: no-one. I personally think diddy would suit you
What no-one?
Diddy aye? Lot's of people have been saying that. I guess I
might try him.

I like this idea isaac

jon's really been liking G&W and also ROB, which is good, he's also got
a good kirby and can play pika as well so he can be our main source of
matchup exp.
I think he's knows how to play everyone lol.

satra should pick up no-one higher cause then we'll never win anything
anymore but I agree with him picking up diddy, his mk is also quite
good, he thinks its not but I;m played some of the worlds best and I can
see he has the fundamentals right already.
No one again?! Never win? LOL haha, you guys are too nice. Yeah I think
I might pick up on MK, I think I'll quit learning the Snake matchup
since I can get all my info from Luke.

Jambo's liking pika too, but I also feel like
MK would really suit his agressive play style (although mk is a too gay
for jambo) he also likes playing G&W too from time to time
Yes the more MK's the better!

Zier will still play with me often and he'll come to sat meets, since we
are always out so late I'm simply leave at 930 and return with him
around 1030ish, problem solved, and zier's very first mains were olimar
and d3.
Yes we need an Olimar and D3.
Luke: marth
Jon: GW/ROB
Satra: diddy/MK
Jambo: Pika/mk
piesaac: flaco (see wat I did thar?)
zier: lolimar/d3
bogo: wario
luffy: WHERE THE **** ARE YOU COME TO
MEETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Looks good and lol at Luffy.

meet at yours on sat night isaac?
scabe jambo and jon at mine on friday maybe?
Sounds good.

Watch a good player of your character play againt
a good player of the other character. Watch what they do. Take note of
what they DON'T DO. If there is anyone you know ho might know anything
about that matchup, ask them.

eg. Silfa, if you want to learn DK vs Diddy matchup, talk to D0N about
it. He's told me he lols at Diddy.

This doesn't just mean keeping it in your own country either. Go to your
respective character boards and read the matchups. If you have and
questions, ask in a Q&A thread or something.

EDIT: **** luke 3 double posts in 1 page.
That's some helpful advice, but what do you mean by "what they don't do"? Lol at 3 double posts. :laugh:

As for the high tier stuff, I seriously reckon Satra should pick up some
diddy. He's got that whole projectile placement thing down pretty well
with link and I'd imagine he'd just do well anyway. But yeah, we'll
probably never win again if he does.
Haha you guys are too nice :embarrass. I highly doubt I'll play that good!

Anyways, I've started using Diddy and I've picked up a few basics and I think I'm pretty decent with him. You'll have to wait and see with how I do. :lick: Also, I got my Play Asia controller!! I ordered it like last week and it came today! Fast service, already my third party controller is going nuts again :mad::mad::mad:, but I'll think I'll save the Play Asia controller for Melbourne. Oh and people, rate this thread 5 stars when you post.

Top Bottom