• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A website for waffles channel

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Joe, I recommend writing about a problem you've recently encountered in smash and your solutions to it. It probably won't be too hard to write since it's something that you already have an incentive to think about it and chances are it'll be something that is pertinent to many other players around your level, too.

At least in my case, almost everything interesting I've had to say about the game has correlated with my own development as a smasher. Speaking of which, I might be fleshing out my thoughts on one of my problems in the near future.

joeplicate

Smash Master
haha my thoughts exactly, i wouldn't be writing about anything soon because there's nothing to write about!

i'll probably write something once i get back to santa cruz and start playing again more often.

man i gotta pack!!

WassupJB

Smash Lord
this can be the start of something great. don't let this be an impulse. keep this alive.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Why not have HMW upload to blip.tv also? So he can get paid for what he does.

MacD

Banned via Administration
you'd have to look into the rules of it all

like i know people who do LPs can put them on blip because there is commentary, but they can't just upload them playing with no commentary

i figure smash commentary would be the same thing

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
free money sounds good

the basic idea behind smash commentary+smash videos making them a unique product nintendo doesn't have claim over is solid

Violence

Smash Lord
On their site, they're very vague about uploading video game footage with commentary, and they're also very vague about just how much you can make on their site.

I sent them an email asking about our community, hopefully we can get an answer back soon.

Violence

Smash Lord
Omg ****. Raaaaaaaaaaaaape.

blip.tv support, oct 14 16:53 (edt):

Hi there,

our terms of service ( http://blip.tv/tos ) prohibit the upload of raw game footage to blip.tv. However we do allow gameplay footage to be used within a show as long as there is some additional content: I.e. Commentary or review.

Thanks,
blip.tv

eric lee, oct 14 15:14 (edt):

Hello,

i am part of a community of gamers who play super smash brothers melee.

There are tens of thousands of us worldwide, found in north america, japan,
and europe, primarily.

In all of these places lie a myriad of small, local communities of 20-40
players, who hold tournaments, record matches, and dub over the matches with
commentary.

People love watching the tournament matches to share in the excitement, the
thrill of the moment as they watch their favorite players from all around
the globe take part in competition. There are often larger tournaments, such
as regionals, nationals, and even internationals that have attendances of
hundreds of elite players. Videos are, of course, taken here with commentary
and uploaded soon after.

I understand that you have a policy of no video game recordings on your
site, but looking around, i did see "let's play" videos up, where people
play through a game while dubbing it with their own commentary.

So i was wondering if the ssbm community could also upload videos to
blip.tvas well.

-eric lee

WassupJB

Smash Lord
i am not the don of gangsta any more. eric, you are.

kudos eric.

also eric, hit me up on AIM, jusbeatbox is my sn. hit me.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
i made an account, first video i uploaded

shroomed vs mooninite: http://blip.tv/file/4248463 (quality takes a ****ing nose dive)

just to test it out.

i'm working on getting my uploads synched with youtube. so the videos i upload to blip.tv will look like a regular youtube upload on my channel. that's what you should strive for too brandon. (at least that's what i think the youtube distribution channel option means)

big ups to residentwaffle, and especially to Violence for putting up the research to help his fellow gamers.

edit: my blip.tv channel is: http://wassupjb.blip.tv/

Violence

Smash Lord
Ok, guys, so you can upload onto blip and youtube simultaneously, but it costs money for the extra account.

Also, the ads don't go to youtube, so we won't make any money off of the views that are on youtube.

So I think what should happen is that for every tournament, all the vids should go up on blip, and then you make one Youtube video with some of the clips(like what JB did and Brandon uploaded for the last Ownapalooza), links in the description to the matches, and a short explanation about why we're using blip, and what the money we get is being used for.

If we were to upload on both blip and youtube, I know that we definitely won't get nearly as many views on blip as we do on youtube, we know that people don't like to do things differently without good reason.

If we just upload on blip, we'll get the money from the ad revenue and the full number of views.

A shared account would be a good option, it makes things simpler for everyone else, since everyone only has to follow one channel, and as long as Brandon and JB have the same idea of what to do with the money, it should go smoothly.

I think the general consensus is, in order of priority:

1. Get good players to Norcal
2. Get good Norcal players who are limited financially(like PewFat, for instance) to big tournaments
3. Lower venue fees if they are too high.

But we can't plan out what we're going to spend money on until we know around how much we're going to make.

I think JB is going to use the next Ownapalooza as a test run to see how much we can make from an average Norcal local.

From there, we'll know what to expect, roughly, and we can plan accordingly.

Brandon just uploaded a vid, you can see that things are pretty much the same as youtube, just with an ad at the front.

http://blip.tv/file/4250778

WassupJB

Smash Lord
something is going on with the revenue.

early i had 22 views. 1cent = 4 views. now i have 193 views and 1cent = 31views. i emailed support to ask why this is.

it's about to get gangsta on blip.tv

WassupJB

Smash Lord
No. i found out that if you have less than a 1,000 views you probably wont see a difference in revenue. therefore my 20views in the beginning to currently 263views which is what i'm at now, means nearly nothing.

Top Bottom