• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A useful [personal] discovery (lol not spair related)

Spife

Smash Master
Nair -> Grab

I've never heard of this and have started messing around with it. Anyhoo I was playing my good friend Roman (romy pomy or Ham(z) for short) the other night and he kept blocking my nair to dsmash (I feel like a nub for that being one of my staples :urg:) but I realized it (zomg teh nub has a visable mental gam!?!) and then nair'd to grab. It worked. IT was great. I know about reverse grabbing, and maybe this is obvious to everyone else...But why has this not been drilled into my head that you can nair > grab some people?

...I'll call it the spnair to spab! *is shot*

But no seriously, I personally find one of my biggest problems is that I grab at the worst times (either it's obvious I'm going to or I shouldn't even be trying) and that leading with an attack into a grab is something I need to work on...and I'm iffy about reverse grabs cause the bair is still a little forign to me but hte nair isn't! sooo the nair -> grab is ver nice.

Discuss?

I'll have a vid up soon. It worked best against doc. and a few times against roy/falcon but he shielded so he could have gotten out -__-

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I could see it working, but they'd have to land neutrally for you to grab them, so if they got used to you doing it, they could start buffering spotdodges. I personally think techchase grabs are the best.

Spife

Smash Master
But how do you get that first grab off hmmm?

It does work as a change up. If you're as predictable as I am they wont see it coming :D

Spife

Smash Master
:D I read tech chase grabs as in...you tech chase you're grabs...Which you can do, but that's why I asked how you'd get you're first grab off. I was okay at tech chasing and now I'm pretty bad at it...

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
n-air to grab works lol
it depends who you're facing
it pretty much works against floaties like doc and marth, a lot of mid fallers, and the only fast faller would be falcon
for some reason, using it against falco and fox doesn't work so well for me
they're too fast and stuff i guess

it also works against people that like to shield and crouch cancel a lot

Spife

Smash Master
n-air to grab works lol
it depends who you're facing
it pretty much works against floaties like doc and marth, a lot of mid fallers, and the only fast faller would be falcon
for some reason, using it against falco and fox doesn't work so well for me
they're too fast and stuff i guess

it also works against people that like to shield and crouch cancel a lot
Good to hear, I only can really practice against lvl 1's and well that's not helpful for figuring if stuff work or not >.<

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
I wouldn't really call this a discovery, or a technique--just a strategy. I mean if you know your opponent is going to try to shield grab after you NAIR, then this will always work (granted that you space it correctly, and you're not facing Marth's ridiculous grab range). This won't work at all if they spot dodge or do an aerial, and Link's missed grab lag is not very forgiving.

Spife

Smash Master
I wouldn't really call this a discovery, or a technique--just a strategy. I mean if you know your opponent is going to try to shield grab after you NAIR, then this will always work (granted that you space it correctly, and you're not facing Marth's ridiculous grab range). This won't work at all if they spot dodge or do an aerial, and Link's missed grab lag is not very forgiving.
Mm, I know it's nothing new, I've just never heard it and would have loved some one to post a topic on it telling everyone else...>__> By the by that's why I put "Personal" in brackets.

I see this as a better way to get a grab off then just grabbing because atleast I have a chance to catch some one in a grab due to stun.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Err.. my brother used the spare on me today.
Since it missed and he used the spare instead of fast falling, he ended up eating an elbow of justice

So you should add that to your list of discoveries for the spare
it is punishable

Spife

Smash Master
Hey I just CC'd and spot dodged.
failed...>_>;
So did the dsmash that I would have otherwise used...
Lol you can't CC AND SPOT DODGE AT THE SAME TIME HOMG CAPS

Thanks dud for that discovery

Spife

Smash Master
lulz yes you can. I use marth I CAN DO WHATEVER THE **** I WANT
awwww yea boiii
So if you're gonna spot dodge the grab, why not the aerial? **** spot dodge the entire ****ing match if that's gonna be you're attitude.

Spife

Smash Master
you can't spot dodge links nair, it stays out to long LOL.
That sounds like a challange... that I'm gonna spot dodge
*Spot dodges the challange of spot dodging links nair...and spelling "challenge" right*

Spife

Smash Master
Check the bottom of my post friend, I'd say it's pretty...sperious hoho
EA3k is just jelouse i figured it out first.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Gawd... all these gross mutilations of my screen name.

I really should come up with a four letter gamer tag... I'm torn between X and Rush. I currently use X. Let's see you misspell that!

Spife

Smash Master
ecks
Dont' go with X, how many people go with X? X (the variable) thats how mnay.
If I were you, I'd go with Spelvenarrow3000, named after me, Spife (Spife Elven Arrow 3000) or more seriously EA3K.

I need a 4 letter name. I'm on TGS but I hate that abriviation (The Great Spife) but I'll have to like it cause for everything I have on the internet, about 50% of it is TGS because Spife is taken.
Anyhoo TGS is where I'm at, or STKZ (Steakz), SPF is a no no. Pife was tempting but no. Best part about brawl was a 5 letter name *sighs*

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I just realized my real name is four letters. Maybe I'll just go with that.

EA3K does sound pretty cool though... but I feel like I'll owe you something =(

Spife

Smash Master
I just realized my real name is four letters. Maybe I'll just go with that.

EA3K does sound pretty cool though... but I feel like I'll owe you something =(
I'll come and ask you a favor..yadda yadda can't refuse.
Nah take it, the only thing you can do is sum up Spife (and not The Great Spife). Woah is meh

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
You know just go with rush, I mean I'm going with kaiser... **** son we're like awesome. If you use your real name you're just gonna suffer from identity theft. It's a surprise I haven't stolen your identity yet anyway *shifty eyes* I'm torn between cKsr or cKzr for my actual tag, advices? are you sure that nair to grab works on a shield? it seems kinda laggy to me. to easily grabbed. I've started just jabbing after I land a nair on either shield or hitting someone at low percentages. I have such bad experiences with hitting a nair and then eating a peach nair or dsmash. and you can always jab and then downsmash, makes it more likely to shield stab. Hell when doesn't link's dsmash shield stab? it's like a shield stabbing MACHINE. stab stab stab. Now to steal elvenarrow3000's identity

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Meh. I'll think about it. Ken uses his real name...

CKzr definitely looks cooler, though.

I don't think he meant it for the shield though. It's more the light knockback from the nair keeps them in grab range. Link's grab doesn't come out until frame eleven, so it's pretty slow (three frames slower than everyone elses')

That being said, Link's jab comes out on frame six, so that's cutting it pretty close too. If you can get away with it, fine, jab their shield, but otherwise, I'd buffer a spotdodge. Link has a pretty good spotdodge... invincible on frame two.

Meh. Most of the time I use the nair as a "get the hell off me" kinda move. Offensively, I prefer the fair.

And lay off my identity. Shame on you.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
there ya go, comparing yourself to ken again, that ego is just enormous, quite frankly I don't think I can post here anymore, not enough space. You won't be so glub when you see all the pronz i'ma charge to your credit card

Spife

Smash Master
=( Why must you hurt me with your harsh words?
I didn't hurt you, but I'd like to take a guess. IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE OWAGAMI AND WORDS ARE SUUUUPER EFFECTIVE.

What else is super effective? Going to bed before this time of the night -__-

NB$

Smash Cadet
scraaaaaaaaaah

- Stos i forgot i was in my cousins account gg XD

Roman.

Smash Champion
nair > grab owns and 2 pages of this thread is pointless and/or deserves it's own thread oh yeah and you can't spot dodge nair but you can shield > wavedash out of it and probably get an fsmash tipper

Top Bottom