• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

darkatma

Smash Hero
Also, don't give food. At least not until the meeting ends, in which case I still advise against it. Food distribution tends to attract other people who have NO interest in the subject and only wish to consume your goods then improperly dispose of the trash upon the floors.

Another thing, plan the tournaments a meeting prior to the official thing. That way, you'll have all your materials and tournament brackets set up without having to waste time in the beginning of the meeting to prepare. This also prevents one-time-only "members" from using your systems and never returning for future meetings.

I'd add some more if any more ideas come about. At the moment, that's all I can think of. Hope it helps, and good luck. :3
Mmm thanks for the food warning :p didn't think of that.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
my school only has an anime club...a SSBM club wouldn't be a good idea though....i bet many do play. some of my friends and i get together to play after school (in a classroom) once a week:chuckle:

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The advice on preparing a school tourney is quite helpful too. I wish the orginization people would at least try to act like they planned this ahead and not improvise every 2 minutes. Make sure your president AND vice president are reasonable people. I didn't think the vp was a threat but apparantly he screwed up the tournament at my school set for the 14th.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
hmm. We have a lunch club which is basically a smash club but only during lunch hours. We've split the club in two cuz we have two tvs. One tv for the noobs and the other for pros. The first tv has about 20 people and the second has about 5 including me. Us 6 kinda shun the noobs.

Im in that club. And im one of those 6. w00t/

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
if I tried to make two tv's be like that, people would just go to the leader person and complain about that they are not getting a turn, then when they do finally get on, they would be the first to die. We do 5 stock, 3 min battles, it rarely goes into sudden death, all lives lost.

AzurePhoenix

Smash Cadet
I want to start up a club at my college since we have around 15 people who play there regularly but most of them are noobs and seem to want to remain that way. There are a few who are actually training with me and trying to improve but most of them are satisfied with complaining about their losses and why we don't use items.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Wow. It's good to be back. But anyway, let's talk more about how to establish a smash club in our schools.

For most of the public schools, I guess its easier to make up a smash club than having one in private schools. Usually, you need to find at least 10+ interested students of the school that are already intrested in joining/helping the club. After that, (this is for High schools) you need an adviser. Now, the adviser could be any of the teachers. He/she doesn't necessarily need to be one of your current teachers. And then, you need to fill up a certain forms (a club registration form for my school) for the activities office to approve. In order to get your club to be approved, it needs to have the asst. principle's, principles, and the activities adviser's signature on it. Or else, they will not let you to start up a club. (you might also need to type up a constitution too!)

This is the most basic way of how to start a new club in most of the high schools. In college or Universities, the procedure might be different but I guess its even easier to form a club because we are older.

Finally, the easiest way to find out how to start a new club is of course: ask! Go to whatever offices you have at your school and just ASK! I think they'll be more than happy to answer questions about a smash club.

Hope that helped!

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
teh... I'm in 7th grade..but we do have a small smashclub (3 people). But I really dont care because I am in love with this beautiful girl, her name is Zelda

Westbro

Smash Rookie
Nobody in my school would touch a gamecube, let alone join a club about a gamecube only game. They are all stuck on Halo 2 and Gears of War and the Xbox's. They are good games, but they take it to an extreme.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Hey Smashers!

Do any of you have a Smash club/Gaming club at your school? I was just wondering if there are any of you that has one could share a little about it.

Recently I'm forming a Smash club at my own school and its going to be our first year doing so. Tell me what you think about this topic and give me suggestions! (e.g. Fundraisers during tournaments, activities, tutorials, etc.)

Thanks!
hey cool, me and my friends are also forming a club at my high school. Its not full fledged yet because we just sent in an essay(required in my town) to the Board of Ed. explaining it. Hopefully they will let us cuz they hosted a DDR tournament a little while ago. We were also hoping to add it as an independent extension to the school computer club.

Nobody in my school would touch a gamecube, let alone join a club about a gamecube only game. They are all stuck on Halo 2 and Gears of War and the Xbox's. They are good games, but they take it to an extreme.
I feel your pain, its always "were you on XBox Live last night...etc", however many people at my school do play SSBM in lieu of Halo 2 and Gears of War.

ABCz

Smash Rookie
I'm in a club. We have about 11 members. We practice Monday, Wednessday, and on weekends. Since I know the principal sometimes he lets usplay at lunch, but not usualy.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
I have a video game club, and sometime during this break we're having a smash tourney.
In our club we have quite a few smashers, out of 30, 10 play smash, 2 bring a cube and smash (not at the same time unfortunately).
We pretty much play all video games.
The funny thing is, the president works at Gamestop.

iankobe

Smash Lord
It sounds like there are a lot of smash clubs around our schools nowadays. I was thinking about making a smash club community so that each smash clubs can communicate each other. Maybe we can even have Smash club crew battles or tourneys!! What do you guys think?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Haha, it'd be nice if that could happen. But quite a few parents would have issues with their kids training for video games.

I wish you guys lived in Norcal =/

Oh, and we recently got kicked out of our meeting room because the advisor got pissed at the massive amounts of trash being left behind everyday, and just the general noise level. So just as a warning, be sure to clean up after your members (since they probably won't), and if a select few continue to make a mess or act obnoxiously, just ban them. Since a loss of a member is better than the loss of the club.

Word's going around that we might get our room back though. We'll see.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Hey the thread's back...how nice.
*sigh* I pretty much forgot about our failure club after I won the school tourney. The people I regularly play Smash with are probably considered decent compared to the average tourney-player. There's no one else here in California to bring us up.

~If this game was a school sport then I would have 5 scholarships by now.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I live in SoCal (obviously), where do you guys live anyway?

Back to the topic, if its possible to make gaming a sport, that'd be awesome but at the same time people might propose this idea. But imagine playing smash at CIF? hahaha. Thats' pretty crazy.

Knux

Smash Rookie
Hmm, a smash club..this would be really fun. However, I'm still in middle school, so there's not as much interest, and I think if I created a club, everyone would regard me as nerdy and stuff like that. But in high school...maybe. :D

However, me and my friends kinda have a sort of smash club (not really) and the 10-13 of meet and have parties and stuff, and mostly play Nintendo stuff, especially Smash. We are pretty newbish, but we are all around the same skill level, so our matches are really entertaining.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Yeah, I would want to start a smash club at my school, but I doubt that it's gonna happen considering it would be like me and one other person. Now if it was a Halo club at our school, then it would be a different matter.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I would want to start a smash club at my school, but I doubt that it's gonna happen considering it would be like me and one other person. Now if it was a Halo club at our school, then it would be a different matter.
Maybe you should try getting more smashers around your area. There might be people at your school that plays smash but you just don't know!

During the first meeting of my Smash club, TONS of people showed up and it was just amazing. Everybody was like, "you play smash?" "why are YOU here?" It was fun.

So give it a shot. You'll never know what would happen.

Smeggy

Smash Rookie
My school (MKHS, in Monterey Park) doesn't have a Smash Club, but a lot of us gather around outside of school to have Smashfests. Basically the same idea..

Banksya

Smash Ace
a couple of people I know tried to start a club at their school and the community shut it down because videogames are "bad".

go figure, old people >_>

iankobe

Smash Lord
My school (MKHS, in Monterey Park) doesn't have a Smash Club, but a lot of us gather around outside of school to have Smashfests. Basically the same idea..
KEPPEL!!! LOL. The AZTECS. You guys are my rivals. Guess where do I go, Smeggy. Alhambra! Haha and we have a smash club! (I'm the president) Maybe you can come by someday...

But how come it says that you are from Rosemead? Wait...do you know Azn Chef? We might have seen you before.

p.s. Moors>Aztecs

iankobe

Smash Lord
Moors and Aztecs are ****in weird names for smash crews. but you are from california so you are probly weird.
o.O The freak. You don't even know what we are talking about. Those are the mascots of our schools, smart one. And don't you dare to talk about CA people. We'll hunt you down anytime, bro.

Please make sure you know what people are talking about before giving any comments. You could just might insult people out of nowhere. Besides, why would we "WEIRD" CA people name our smash crews with those names? Watch your mouth.

p.s. We've got In 'N' Out burgers. Do you?

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
a smash club, huh? i'd heard about some group melee events around school so there must be more smashers around than i know of, but my school is filled with antisocial people who are too lazy to leave their dorm rooms. getting an organized club going sounds like more work than it's worth, though it would be really cool to have a schoolwide smash ranking list or something like that

iankobe

Smash Lord
That's what we've been saying throughout the whole thread. Try to get more people around in your area and organize the smash club. An organized Smash club is not a person's job. It is a group of dedicated smashers' job.

And trust me, it's not an easy job to have a club organized. Be thankful if any of you that has a smash club around your community because its a really tough job to organize and operate a good smash club.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Anyone who has a Smash club, or is trying to establish a Smash club, I pray that you'll be able to make it a successful one, and that it continues to run smoothly for as long as it lives. If you find yourself lucky enough to be in a club where there are people you can tolerate day after day and have a good time with, then take advantage of it. Chances are you may never find a group of people like them again.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
and idea for this thread could be making a list of clubs by state so people would know where to look.

We don't have a smash club at my university, but we have a video game club along with anime, comic books, and sci-fi.

iankobe

Smash Lord
and idea for this thread could be making a list of clubs by state so people would know where to look.

We don't have a smash club at my university, but we have a video game club along with anime, comic books, and sci-fi.
Good idea. Why don't we start now?

From now on, you can start listing your smash club at your school by the following:
Club's name, School's name, County, State, and the president's sn on Smashboards.

I'll start off.

Smashizzle, Alhambra high school, Los angeles, California.
Prez: Iankobe

Please feel free to continue to post up whatever you feel like to say.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you could put a list of the states and have sub categories on the first post like.

Club's name; School's name; County, City; representative sn

as the template and where states could be added on in alphabetical order.

California
---------------------
Smashizzle; Alhambra high school; Los angeles; Iankobe

Florida
---------------------
AVACS(Association of Video Games Anime, Comic Books and Sci-fi); Nova Southeastern University; Broward County; Davie/Ft. Lauderdale; Honors

iankobe

Smash Lord
Maybe you could put a list of the states and have sub categories on the first post like.

Club's name; School's name; County, City; representative sn

as the template and where states could be added on in alphabetical order.

California
---------------------
Smashizzle; Alhambra high school; Los angeles; Iankobe

Florida
---------------------
AVACS(Association of Video Games Anime, Comic Books and Sci-fi); Nova Southeastern University; Broward County; Davie/Ft. Lauderdale; Honors

darkatma

Smash Hero
How would you guys answer b!tchy people who will ask during the council:

"what does this club have to contribute to the school that other already existing clubs cannot?"

and also "why smash? who not other games?"

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
My school doesn't have a club, but we had a badly organized tournament a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see at least fifty people filing into the ceramics room to play in the tournament. The rules were 2 lives Doubles on FD only, and I got killed in the first round. The top players were all pretty good, too.

Fountain Valley High School, SoCal

Top Bottom