• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The noob factor is always a problem, but what can you do? They'll always be there unless you cut them off from the start.
The tech teacher would be a wise choice for an advisor. My friends have this cool teacher who they say he would likely support something like a Smash Club. His name is Mr. Huynh (pronoucned exactly like "win"). There is always at least one teacher who would be willing to do something like that. At least, that's how it is here for me.

Yeah, for the Huynh! FTH!

snake gravy

Smash Rookie
there is one every cycle at my highschool, every 7 days during 6th period on the "F" day

there are some pretty good smashers there and the usual who run there mouth constantly but still get their *** beat.

they have two tvs and cubes usually so the more serious people usually head over to one of the t-vs while those who just play everyonce in awhile and dont own a cube play on another one.

i really hate it when this one chump thinks hes hot **** because he and his friend always win at team battles. i wish i could play them but ever since me and my friend only lost one stock to them they kinda snub us during team chalenges :mad: :laugh:

it seems like smash was just meant to be played in huge groups though thats why clubs work so well in my opinion.

Chewbacca35

Smash Cadet
My friend and I actually got one started. Our first meeting is Monday. We will eventally hold a Smash tourney.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The first tourney of my school year will be early November. There's no telling how good/bad it will be...

*Hey Chewy...if you want a nice banner, you can request a custom banner in the Artwork Emporium. :)

iankobe

Smash Lord
SIgh. Unfortunately my smash club is still getting approved... The assistant principal takes forever to finish his paperwork.

All of my friends are all asking me the process.

GONZLAMM

Smash Apprentice
i tried to have a smash tournament but my school said it was a form of gambling which is illegal in texas.

Miharu

Smash Hero
i tried to have a smash tournament but my school said it was a form of gambling which is illegal in texas.
They're incorrect, completely wrong.

It's a tournament. You pay money to enter the tournament. The tournament is based solely on skill, with a minimum amount of luck involved. The prize is merely a cash prize. It's not as if you're "betting" on something, and hoping that it'll turn out that way. You have control over the outcome.

HylianLord

Smash Ace
mmm, anyone have a high quality team match (preferably ken / isai) showing their teamwork...? (no i'm not trying to suck up, this is for the sake of a smash club)

we're going to give a presentation trying to convince them that SSBM is more than c-stick spamming.... (outsiders find it hard to believe) and that the game does require teamwork and such.

thanks in advance (assuming somebody helps ><)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
It's hard getting through to the people to make a Smash club, and it's harder to deal with most of them once it's established. I'm not even part of the Game and Anime club but I still go to play..dunno if I'm breaking rules or not.
But I swear, every time I go in there, my IQ drops 3 points.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I'd say that a tournament counts as a competition more than a gambling thing. It's like entering a basketball tournament. How in the world is that gambling? ...Unless you hope that there will be sucky bball players at the tournament...while you are not good at bball.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
No smash club per say. However I met all my smashing buddies at the Anime club which also consists of gaming. Gotta say, I got into competitive smash that way too because my friends were eager to get better and so was I. We all meet in our local game room and constantly play smash, which in the long run has helped all of us out greatly. I had thought about making a smash or gaming club though before though.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It's hard getting through to the people to make a Smash club, and it's harder to deal with most of them once it's established. I'm not even part of the Game and Anime club but I still go to play..dunno if I'm breaking rules or not.
But I swear, every time I go in there, my IQ drops 3 points.
Rofl, they're really that bad?

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
UMBC has a smash club on facebook. We have on-campus tournaments and ladder competititons every now and then.

University of Maryland College Park really has a lot of stuff goin on, though. Here is the page talking about their ladder:

http://wam.umd.edu/~maddox/smash.html

I also know a lot of friends at Prince George's Community College that play prettymuch every day after school.

I just hang out in the gameroom at UMBC to pick up as much SSBM as possible.

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
uhh well my cous school "lowell high" have a gamers club every friday, everyone plays like ds, or smash. and like 3:30pm -5:00pm was smash with ffa with banned stages+ 4stock 8time limit, and winner keep controler or every keeps if no one wanna play, and i go there like every friday, and silent spectre and myko goes there too , and at 5:01 2 girls plays phantasy star, and today silent spectre was playin with his memory card and his lvl 139 char ksing and geting lost =D

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If they ever came to SmashBoards, there would be soo much advanced stuff to cram into their puny insignificant minds that their head would explode and they would die.

........hmm...........

Hey, we should refer them!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I guess...
They all play more than one game in the club, so they aren't going to focus on getting really good with only one game. When I think about their overall skill, I cry myself to sleep.

Miharu

Smash Hero
UMBC has a smash club on facebook. We have on-campus tournaments and ladder competititons every now and then.

University of Maryland College Park really has a lot of stuff goin on, though. Here is the page talking about their ladder:

http://wam.umd.edu/~maddox/smash.html

I also know a lot of friends at Prince George's Community College that play prettymuch every day after school.

I just hang out in the gameroom at UMBC to pick up as much SSBM as possible.
Lol, they play with Poke Floats on neutral, and items on very low? Items seem so weird to play with now that I haven't used them seriously in about 1+ years.

Oh, and bump.

darkatma

Smash Hero
haha items O_o

darn i dunno if i can get one started, many ppl are averse to the whole idea "its too nerdy" etc -_- I guess i need good contentions and a good constitution and stuff lol.

iankobe

Smash Lord
How in the world can a smash club be NERDY? That's stupid.

Well, if you really want to have a smash club at your school, try your best and find out how you can do it, and forget what ppl said. It only matters if you and your friends around you like it or not. Good luck =]

Miharu

Smash Hero
Lol. Try to get some senior or sophmore to be co-president with you, so they can handle the duties if the workload from your classes gets to be too much.

Our advisor told us that we couldn't have LAN parties unless it was a teacher workday or some ****, since she has a 5-month old daughter. So we've decided to hold a week-long tourney, or however long it takes to finish, during lunches. Thing is, we only have 2 TVs, and there could potentially be 50+ people signing up...

Maybe a monthlong thing? Lol.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Oh man, I should move to Saratoga. Or you guys could come here instead...
Oh but OUR tourneys wouldn't be cool enough for you guys. It only lasts ONE day. And it would only be like, what, 2 hours? Plus we'd only have 30 something people, most who wouldn't challenge you anyways.
Life is hard...

Tron V2.0

Smash Apprentice
hmm. We have a lunch club which is basically a smash club but only during lunch hours. We've split the club in two cuz we have two tvs. One tv for the noobs and the other for pros. The first tv has about 20 people and the second has about 5 including me. Us 6 kinda shun the noobs.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Lol i changed my mind. gonna start the club this year i think :p
Uhh

Anyone give me suggestions on how to sweet talk the school council, or whoever decides about clubs? Like, what would the benefits of a smash club be.

Oh yea, and it it too late to start a club in the middle of the year?

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
So, we ended up taking a lesson from monta vista, and we are thinking about setting up multiple-week long tourneys, that will take place during lunch. This would be a lot easier to run and manage than a LAN.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Lol i changed my mind. gonna start the club this year i think :p
Uhh

Anyone give me suggestions on how to sweet talk the school council, or whoever decides about clubs? Like, what would the benefits of a smash club be.

Oh yea, and it it too late to start a club in the middle of the year?
You're going to NCTII, right?

We'll tell you some bs then; I'm too lazy to type it out right now.

darkatma

Smash Hero
yea so obviously i couldn't go to NCTII red :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :( :( :( :(
im going to blue though.. but thats so far aarg.
I think the only one from our school that went was Zeldafreak (aka masterhands)

Edit: lol hydrokirby, zeldafreak was in your pool :O
Darn i should've told you to tell your bs to him lolol

Top Bottom