• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

Miharu

Smash Hero
our school is unfortunate enough to have the gaming club denied last year. my friends had an advisor and support and everything, its just they weren't convincing enough or something so club council denied them ><. right now a friend is attempting to make a gaming club at my school, so i'm going to try to become officer (if it passes) to spread smash.

but for ppl who are president of gaming / smash club, what approaches did u guys take? the thing with our previous gaming club was that it "wasn't necessary" and could be done after school (sorry no time to read through all 6 pages T_T). so far the only argument i've come up with is to promote strategically gaming opposed to mindless / time wasting / thoughtless cstick spamming etc. like what are some things i can do to convince club council that a smash club is needed T_T?
Go to club council, and bring a cube and a TV. Proceed to **** them all, and afterwards, say "Everyone who joins has the potential of being like this."

Anyways. At our school, we just became a sub-club, if you will, of a larger technology/computer club that already ran LAN parties and such at school. It made it much easier, since we didn't have to find an advisor, nor a room for meetings. And the tournaments will be held at LAN parties, so space won't really be much of an issue, since a room's already reserved for LAN parties.

Just promote the learning side of it, and say you're helping them to improve overall as well, since this also helps to improve their core thinking and reactive processes. That's total BS, but people fall for crap like that all the time XD

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, go talk about how it build's life skills, build character, teach the value of good sportsmanship, and promote a positive and playful outlook on competition. The medium for such noble causes would be SSBM, of course, a game friendly to all groups and ages.

The club will emphasize on the competitive aspect of SSBM. Of course, it is also a place where people of similar interests can get together and relieve stress that comes from an academic environment.

I suppose you can go a branch and point out the other clubs aren't really "necessary' either, and can all be done afterschool. They shouldn't let the negative connotations associated with gaming affect their judgement. Gaming, after all, has been very misaligned as of late, and you should urge the club council to look past their perceived stereotypes of games.

This club, of course, would definitely enrich the atmosphere of the school. Clubs, after all, are not necessarily catered to the general school population, but instead aims at a specific group of people, which accounts for the diverse nature of clubs. Such a target audience for a smash club exists at your school, and to deny a smash club would be tantamount to denying the "necessity" of a multitude of other clubs.

You should also point out that clubs are not formed out of "necessity", but out of interest. Clubs exist not because they are a required aspect of school, but because they help provide for a more fulfilling environment. Modern day high schools no longer focus solely on academics, and clubs are perhaps the most important aspect of the other, non-academic (but equally important) side of high school. There are many reason to not start a club, but "not being necessary" hardly applies.

Give background information about the competitive side of games, etc. And you can point out that you guys have outstanding academic performances, as well.

If worst comes to worst.... you can try to make a general games club, focus on SSBM, and kick out any one who doesn't smash. -.-'

Sooo.... that was me rambling and listing some stuff i woudl say if i were to write to the club council. It's unorganized, cause I just stated what i had on my mind at the moment. Well, i hope you guys are successful in showing the club council the error of their ways.

Sure, a bunch of that is BS, but i'm betting you guys have to not look like a bunch of hobo game addicts trying to get a trip during lunch. :p

HylianLord

Smash Ace
Frozenserpent said:
Sure, a bunch of that is BS, but i'm betting you guys have to not look like a bunch of hobo game addicts trying to get a trip during lunch. :p
haha far from it lol. i'm ditching NCT:2 red version for a school thing. but yea thanks alot for these ideas. I'm not much of a speaker / leader, but i might seriously try to start a smash club. we could organize like an inter-high school tourny for the bay area XD (directed to bay area ppl in CA or course XD)

Miharu

Smash Hero
haha far from it lol. i'm ditching NCT:2 red version for a school thing. but yea thanks alot for these ideas. I'm not much of a speaker / leader, but i might seriously try to start a smash club. we could organize like an inter-high school tourny for the bay area XD (directed to bay area ppl in CA or course XD)
Uhh. We lose. No contest. For crews, at least.

But it'd be a great idea, and the turn out would be pretty huge if we could get the word out early enough, and have a big enough venue with enough TVs and cubes.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
What, no Red Version!? You make me sad. You MUST make and maintain a smash club, and an inter-high school tourney would be great. Besides, it might encourage other nearby high schools to establish smash clubs if they haven't done so, right? :).

As for crews, sure, let's go. We call a ban on Zhu, though. Then maybe we have a chance.

What i'm worried about is next year in college i'll find myself the only smasher in the region and then i can't play with anyone, OR i'll have to train the noobiest of the noob. :\.

Edit: I wonder if we can use the PAL center for a tourney? :D

darkatma

Smash Hero
That would be awesome xD
Lol julian, i call you the Jason of cupertino xD coz fremont's best player plays a ton of characters and is best in our school, and he pwned the other julian(the gdorf one) with tons of chars too xD

inter-high school tournament for bay area would be so good! im hoping i can find a good teacher to become an advisor for our club :p

we should compile a list of schools that would be interested in inter-high school competition so that we can show it to the school council. Would be awesome

in the meantime, high school crew battles, anyone?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Nice to hear these popping up everywhere XD

We finally got our 2nd TV today, and now we can have 2 cubes running, on albiet ****ty TVs, but who cares when you can play SSBM?

High school crew battles would be insane ****. We have to do them. The only problem is with finding a big enough centralized venue that is easily accessible to everyone.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Nice to hear these popping up everywhere XD

We finally got our 2nd TV today, and now we can have 2 cubes running, on albiet ****ty TVs, but who cares when you can play SSBM?

High school crew battles would be insane ****. We have to do them. The only problem is with finding a big enough centralized venue that is easily accessible to everyone.
YES. I've been talking about that since like forever! No one responded... I mean how sick can school crew battles would be like?!

So where's your school at? Hopefully So cal...

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
We have a DDR club at our school and I heard rumours that it has become sort of an anime type club. I might join and spread the news of smash, but I am content with just playing with random students who challenge me at a house =/.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
There is no Smash Club, per se, but there is a Anime Club (very poorly run) that play Smash.

There is only 1 good person, and it is someone that myself and my friends play often. We played him prior to his making the club.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
GAH you guys should just ALL move to Newark so you can go to Memorial High and together we can overthrow all the scrubs and have the greatest Smash Club of all time.

My friend and I have made some wheelin' and dealin' and we are going to prepare a Smash Tourney that will take place next month. Once you have a teacher that supports you, it's easy to make things like this happen. Once the meeting and arangements are done we'll have a school tourney ready to go...

darkatma

Smash Hero
Haha at least norcal works

We have in Fremont: Mission San jose High (our school)
In Newark: Newark Memorial
In Cupertino: Monta Vista High
and im not sure if there's a separate school in saratoga? For hydrokirby and the likes

Looking good xD
Except that our school would do well in crew battles, coz nearly the entire fremont crew is in this high school :p

Miharu

Smash Hero
Ugh. Yeah, there's a Saratoga High; but we'll get ***** in crews =_=

I'll still be looking forward to it though. Who's going to plan it?

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
We can have a series of high school norcal competitions, where the different high schools can take turns hosting tourneys. We HAVE to have high school crews, as well as standard 1v1's and teams. Low tier would be very nice, too. :)

You know, it would be easier to organize this if we talk this over AIM or something. My s/n is EphemeralSerpent, or Frozenserpent.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Bummer. You guys are all up there... There's like no one down here in Socal...

T.T I hope there are schools here that has smash clubs. Do any of you know??

FireBomb

Smash Lord
My crew has been itching for a crew battle for a long time now...

Sorry I don't know of any Smash clubs in Socal at the moment. I may look into it later.

TAMASHI

Smash Apprentice
Arrr...No, my school doesn't, although it would be possible if enough people suggested it, i guess.........................>_>

kubby01

Smash Rookie
la canada CA + Venice/Santa monica CA (rly)
i was gonna, but there are more than 4 guys that are better than me, and it'd be weird if i tryed to teach newbs, then have them come in and 4 stock me. i tryed to get them to do it but there was no follow through.

'guess im stuck in band club lol

iankobe

Smash Lord
Hey! You live in La Canada! That's only 20 min. drive from Alhambra!!

Wanna friendly match sometime?

p.s. Do you know Azn chef? (gary) because I might have seen you before.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
For the people who have been to or just watched clubs, what is your situation:
A) you are a lot better than those people who play Smash in your club
B) they are as good or better than you and it's fun to play
C) almost everyone is just really annoying that you want to kill them all

A and C for me.

Miharu

Smash Hero
For the people who have been to or just watched clubs, what is your situation:
A) you are a lot better than those people who play Smash in your club
B) they are as good or better than you and it's fun to play
C) almost everyone is just really annoying that you want to kill them all

A and C for me.
Pretty much A and C.

There's a small group of us that know techs and stuff, and only 2 of us have any tourney experience at all, which, albiet isn't much. The rest are just a bunch of scrubs that rollspam, and it makes me want to chew their heads off.

Ganon's downB spike is too fun...

iankobe

Smash Lord
Smash club? Pff.. We tried to put up posters for a Smash tournament and they made us take them down.
Well of course you CAN'T just put up posters/fliers of any organizations or activities outside of the school. In order to post up any activity fliers you need to get it to approved at school from your actitives advisor.

I'm not surprised when they tell you to put them down. No offense, what you just did could be vandalism.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Especially if it's money related, yeah. I don't think they really care if money isn't involved.

Anyways, we have our first date set for the 21st. For our flyers, we're putting a pic of Ganondorf stomping Jigglypuff...

Mm, stomp ftw...

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
My smash club has been on since last year at my school Georgetown District High School. Last year it was an everyday thing and still is but since eveybody who is good at the game has a diffrent lunch period then that club we started out own so far its worked out pretty well, the difference with this new club is that we only play on fridays which alot of us prefer.

Another thing is we have 3 gamecubes hooked up so we usually have a FFA station (keeps the nublets occupied) a 2v2 station and a 1v1 station (sadly no 3v1 stations.jk). One of the coolest thing I find is since i started going to the room last year and now to this new room I teach alot of the kids who go there about smashboards and MLG (yes I know this is my first post ,im a forum lurker) and they take it so well. They dont think "ZOMG Wavedash is useless" or "no hyrule is ghey" (granted they do play Hyrule sometimes mostly when its more then 2 players but its all good). They try and learn all the techniques and understand why there importent. A couple of them are better then me, but I like teaching its fun :) .

Sometimes when we have tournaments which I think we might start haveing monthly instead of the class room we get to play in one of our schools confernce rooms. It has all padded "spinny" chairs and a big t.v and a projector. Our tournaments go by MLG rules and are mostly 1v1. We charge 1 dollar for the tournaments which some goes to charity.(how do you think we get away with all of this lol) Plus out lunch is 1 hour and 16 minutes so we get some major playtime in.

Best thing is we only ever have possibly 2 people sitting out and when they are there usually eating or wanna watch so there no complaining :chuckle: .

MattB22890

Smash Cadet
I wish there was a smash club at my school... as far as I know, me and my friend are the only ones who play it.

I go to Fair Lawn High School in NJ in case there is anyone from there reading this... >_>

Sol

Smash Lord
Woah, thats scarily similar to what we have, or had in our school.

It had the same name:Anime and Gaming Club, or AGC for short, and met on the same day every week: Wednsdays. I only went for the gaming part, or in reality the Smash part of it. We had tournaments and crap for the last couple years, but now since the town budget didn't pass, clubs and activities are no longer free. Why bother paying to play smash with n00bs in the first place?
Like n00b Adam

FireBomb

Smash Lord
My smash club has been on since last year at my school Georgetown District High School. Last year it was an everyday thing and still is but since eveybody who is good at the game has a diffrent lunch period then that club we started out own so far its worked out pretty well, the difference with this new club is that we only play on fridays which alot of us prefer.

Another thing is we have 3 gamecubes hooked up so we usually have a FFA station (keeps the nublets occupied) a 2v2 station and a 1v1 station (sadly no 3v1 stations.jk). One of the coolest thing I find is since i started going to the room last year and now to this new room I teach alot of the kids who go there about smashboards and MLG (yes I know this is my first post ,im a forum lurker) and they take it so well. They dont think "ZOMG Wavedash is useless" or "no hyrule is ghey" (granted they do play Hyrule sometimes mostly when its more then 2 players but its all good). They try and learn all the techniques and understand why there importent. A couple of them are better then me, but I like teaching its fun :) .

Sometimes when we have tournaments which I think we might start haveing monthly instead of the class room we get to play in one of our schools confernce rooms. It has all padded "spinny" chairs and a big t.v and a projector. Our tournaments go by MLG rules and are mostly 1v1. We charge 1 dollar for the tournaments which some goes to charity.(how do you think we get away with all of this lol) Plus out lunch is 1 hour and 16 minutes so we get some major playtime in.

Best thing is we only ever have possibly 2 people sitting out and when they are there usually eating or wanna watch so there no complaining :chuckle: .
@_@ This is the kind of organization that most every video game club lacks, and what I am still striving for. We need our own room, because we're all loud and into it and it's a pain to have the anime half saying "SHUT UP!" and the game club yelling back "KEEP THE LIGHTS OFF!!" at the same time (we're forced to play on projector due to anime club watching stuff of TV). They don't even get along so the idea of a club that combines the 2 still bewilders me.

iankobe

Smash Lord
You should really seperate the club. I mean, how can a smash club be combining with an anime club? That's just weird.

Neo s0uL

Smash Cadet
I wish we had a smash club at my school. The closest thing we have is a Halo club. I used to play Halo, but it got really boring after playing it for 4 years. Does anyone here live in San Jose btw? Also, is anyone that is reading this go to Independence High School?

iankobe

Smash Lord
I know that the Halo community is bigger then smash's, but somehow I think that Smash is still a better game in any way you look at it.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I wish we had a smash club at my school. The closest thing we have is a Halo club. I used to play Halo, but it got really boring after playing it for 4 years. Does anyone here live in San Jose btw? Also, is anyone that is reading this go to Independence High School?
Saratoga is close enough to San Jose; it's only about 20 minutes away at max.

We constantly have to tell the noobs to stfu when they yell about random ****, since our advisor gets pissed when we yell too much. It's annoying how scrubs "oooh" and "ahh" and "ohh shiiiiiiit" over some other random scrub's tipper. I want to slap them upside the head when they yell like idiots.

The following's nice, though. But I don't even want to think about the amount of scrubs that will show up after we do a formal announcement in the morning.

Top Bottom