• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A smash club at your school!! (updated, read pg. 24, #356)

Miharu

Smash Hero
Haha, I'm glad I'm somewhat in charge of SSBM going-ons at school, along with a group of SWF-goers. That being said, we plan to do a tournament in about 2 weeks, assuming our advisor decides to let us run it, since we got kicked out of our meeting room =.=

At least there will be standard rules if the tournament goes forward.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
the only thing close to a smash club in my school is our crew, which i guess in a way is like a club because everynow and then we hook up the gamecube in an empty classroom and have a tourney, almost anyone is welcome, however our crew hosts it.

iankobe

Smash Lord
How would you guys answer b!tchy people who will ask during the council:

"what does this club have to contribute to the school that other already existing clubs cannot?"

and also "why smash? who not other games?"
Well, for the first question, you can answer it by saying, "The smash club can provide a gaming environment while other clubs cannot. This smash club is different from other clubs because the Smash community is currently one of the biggest gaming community today, and it's still growing everyday. Also, there are a lot of schools that also has a smash clubs too. That proves that a lof of people likes to play smash and it is somewhat guaranteed that it will not die out."

Hope that helped and smash on.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I don't think we even have a Video Game Club...not sure why...our school is huge.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Oh man. If you have a big school, why not make a smash club? That's a big opportunity to have a smash community around ya. Take a shot because you'll never know the outcome of it!

Izombie

Smash Rookie
We have a video game club at our school. They held a ssbm tourney but there were so many n00bs there it wasn't even funny. If you took out everyone that sucked really bad there would've been only 5 people. They also had alot of n00b Marths I can do good against good Marths but I'm really bad for some reason against n00b Marths :dizzy:

VidKid

Smash Rookie
My School has a Video Game Club but no Smash Club but we play Smash at the Club and other Video Games there too

iankobe

Smash Lord
We have a video game club at our school. They held a ssbm tourney but there were so many n00bs there it wasn't even funny. If you took out everyone that sucked really bad there would've been only 5 people. They also had alot of n00b Marths I can do good against good Marths but I'm really bad for some reason against n00b Marths :dizzy:
...That's funny. If they were really THAT noobish, why would you do so bad against their "n00b" Marths? It doesn't sound like you can really "do good" against good Marths.

I suggest you to actually join them and play with him. There's no excuse of losing to noobs ya know. NO excuse.

foxmccloud233

Smash Cadet
if tried to pull of a smash club at our school all the jockey kids wood prolly make fun of them and they already poke fun at the anime club lol(i'm not in the anime club) and if i started a smash club who wood i pitch the idea to my friend said ask the anime club after school teacher cuz they got a media room. how i shud i start?

iankobe

Smash Lord
if tried to pull of a smash club at our school all the jockey kids wood prolly make fun of them and they already poke fun at the anime club lol(i'm not in the anime club) and if i started a smash club who wood i pitch the idea to my friend said ask the anime club after school teacher cuz they got a media room. how i shud i start?
In my own opinion, approach to the anime teacher if he/she can be another advisor for your smash club. Generally, teachers can have more than one club to be in charge of. So ask the teacher FIRST.

IF, you are not sure, ask around. Go to the activities office, or whatever office that's in charge of the clubs and orgs. Good luck.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Well, for bay area high schools, our region has so far..

Mission
Monta Vista
(Newark Memorial)?
Saratoga
Homestead
Gunn
Aragon

Any other high schools in this region with any smashers? We're hoping to create some sort of network for high school smash/vid game clubs :p

website of monta vista club(which has had it's first smashfest/halo tourney) : http://z11.invisionfree.com/MVGC/index.php?act=idx

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for telling us about it before it happened. >_>

Have another one, SOON. But please, don't invite NMHS, we want to be the only one's there (maybe a bit more). Our school's VG club sucks at everything. EVERYTHING. lawl, jk, invite them if you want. I just don't want my school disgraced. <_<

taylorb9113

Smash Cadet
Alright, time for me to post my story and ask for the advice of all readers..

Well, I am a Freshman (yup, Freshman) who wants to start a Smash Club in my High School. A group of around 7-8 people thought of this a couple days ago. We all think it would be a wonderful idea, but aren't too sure on how we would get it to work.
We need to get an Advisor (or Sponsor) and a written letter (possibly constitution) of why a Smash Club deserves to exist in our school. The problem is, I do not have much of a clue to put in this letter.
We are also wondering what all we should do within this club besides playing it. I figured it would be best to start with teaching of each of the initial members basic/advanced terms, because not all of them know them. I compiled a list of these terms and printed them out for some members, to their enjoyment.
But what else could we do besides playing? Fundraisers? If so, what type of fundraisers could we do?
Feel free to give -any- advice you can on this matter, I really need help here.

Thanks all,

Taylor :)

Sharingan

Smash Rookie
I wish we could get one going there are more than enough people in my school who will go like 12-18 people. But for my school you need to find a teacher willing to watch over the club, submit to the board of ed, etc all other bull before you can get your club going.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I wish we could get one going there are more than enough people in my school who will go like 12-18 people. But for my school you need to find a teacher willing to watch over the club, submit to the board of ed, etc all other bull before you can get your club going.
yea my school needs those too. I still needa do stuff after finals. Then i haveta get it past picky council members.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Just try and try your HARDEST to get the club done. You also need some of your friends to help you if you really want to have the club established.

And again, TRY your HARDEST.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
WOW!!!!, this thread still here?
whoa, well anyways, I actually play smash in school with my bud quaz since I can't even go to his house nor he can't come to mine so I'll there was to play was in school, so sometimes quaz and I meet and play a little bit of smash after school over the week.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I'll always love the idea of a Smash club, whether it's in school or not. Darkatma, I'm hoping to play you soon... the schools are calling.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
I have a video game club at my high school (although the most played game is by far smash since most people are smashers), but I am one of the two people who knows what an L-cancel is (and when I tried to explain it to them they said it was stupid) at said club and I play the other guy regularly outside the club since he lived fairly close. The club is fairly pointless for me.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Where do you guys live, Firebomb?
Our crew lives in Newark, which is pretty much surrounded by Fremont. There's no one else to play out here in the city, so I suppose we're the only ones who can represent Newark in the name of Smash lol.

the problem, we're in the same boat as you. :( Guess I can't lead a club, but leading a crew is good enough.

darkatma

Smash Hero
mm yea after this week (AARG FINALS) I can start writing my constitution to see if my club can get passed. I dont think i played anyone in TTR yet :p

I just know there's 4 of you guys in your crew :p

I'm not part of any crews, but i'm closest to KR3W?! people, which is basically the 4 people from fremont and one Sm00th Cr1minal in livermore. (Karthik is on hiatus, so i guess its more like.. 3 in fremont, + me)

Anyways hoping to get the club stuff in soon, and hoping my school will pass it.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Our crew lives in Newark, which is pretty much surrounded by Fremont. There's no one else to play out here in the city, so I suppose we're the only ones who can represent Newark in the name of Smash lol.

the problem, we're in the same boat as you. :( Guess I can't lead a club, but leading a crew is good enough.
Is that in NorCal or SoCal? Haha. I live in Alhambra which is in LA. I'm just trying to find more smashers around the area. But I don't think I'm near your area, unfortuantely.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
My skool had a videogaming club until the teacher went wild and lazy. When we had a SSBM tourney, I can and wrecked..

Now there's no more tournaments now, and the only way I can smash is if I go to a tourney or practice while playing others..

darkatma

Smash Hero
We're probably centered around san jose, but the schools are more towards the coast. fremont and newark are both 10-15 minute drive to parts of san jose, but about 45 minutes away from cupertino and montavista area.

Miharu

Smash Hero
So it'd be ideal to set the meeting place as somewhere in San Jose, to minimize driving distance for most people.

Neo s0uL

Smash Cadet
There's a 'smash club' at my school. Kind of, it's like part of a Video Game/MTG club. We usually just play during lunch. My school is Independence in San Jose. Any smashers that are close by?

Top Bottom