• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Rest Discussion Thread

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Actually, since Veril no longer updates/discusses Rest anymore, this is a totally legitimate topic.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I can honestly only think of four legit setups for rest.

1. Drill (no ****ing duh)
2. Soft Fair (risky but fun as hell)
3. Reading Airdodges and punishing with rising rest
4. Shielding and jumping out of your shield to rest (mangorape)

Metatitan

Smash Master
Yes but how exactly do you plan to stale it? It's normally set up after a Bair/Fair and a character that doesn't have an amazing air game will not tango with jigglypuff in the air so juggling with it is out of the question.

PND

Smash Champion
U throw. U air x as many as possible, then either bair, fair, or pound them depending on how they react. Or, if they're stupid, rest them. You can ask Jiggernaut about how effective my Uairs are on really good opponents.

Or, utilt into uair. Or pound into uair. So many options!

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Uair can also be staled on the Smashville Baloon (1 time realisticly) Luigi's Mansion (until you break all the pillars) and the shy guys on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (make sure to hit them 1 at at time to stale it the most)

So uhm... yah... thinking outside the box.

PND

Smash Champion
I stale her Uair by, you know, using it. It keeps her other moves fresh, juggles well, and sets up great chase options.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
I can honestly only think of four legit setups for rest.

1. Drill (no ****ing duh)
2. Soft Fair (risky but fun as hell)
3. Reading Airdodges and punishing with rising rest
4. Shielding and jumping out of your shield to rest (mangorape)
Add:

5. Predict a roll, space yourself appropriately, then Rest.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Surely you can also rest after using an edge-cancelled Sing (assuming that your opponent is dumb enough to be there at the time, of course)?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I always stale bair. Dunno why you wouldn't, maybe if it was like... a Jiggs ditto?

Metatitan

Smash Master
I stale bair when possible. The only downside is that the majority of matchups don't exactly allow you to do this so you have to think outside the box (i.e. gw)

PND

Smash Champion
I stale bair when possible. The only downside is that the majority of matchups don't exactly allow you to do this
Waitaminute. . . what? Lol. The majority of matches bair is one of your most useful tools, it's only a token few where it's not.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Anyone with more range than you, you will find that you have to use Fair instead. And that's the majority of the cast.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thinkaman's Law:

The proper ratio of Pound-to-bair usage in any given Jigglypuff matchup is directly proportional to the relative difficulty of that matchup.
MK's ratio is high for an even matchup, Marth's and Wario's are a bit low for their difficulty; otherwise this is completely accurate. Feel free to question it so I can make fun of you in a rude and condescending manner and underlines my personal flaws and insecurities.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Mk is not an even matchup, jigglypuff does not have the right tools to fight him with (namely a potent kill move that isn't risky).

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Please don't make this another matchup discussion thread.

To be honest, rest needs no set up. It's a one frame move and should only be used as a punisher. Drills only work if they are on the ground and in the right position. They're situational and most characters can avoid them.

Just learn how to rest through moves. :X

Metatitan

Smash Master
^
LOL don't tell me how to rest through moves, I've been doing it almost as long as Veril has been (or had been). Point being drill rest is the best setup for rest because a perfect rest is a reflex, which is difficult to get because you cant automatically rest anything at any % or you will get punished hard.

Top Bottom