• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Recall to Back to the Basics: A Guide to What All of You Should Know (Updated)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Back to the Basics

Why am I doing this?

Lets just this thread is a necessity for some of you......

Lets leave it at that..... *cough* *cough*

Overall Character Information

• Jigglypuff is the lightest character, she was originally tied in melee with G&W for second lightest.
  • She is the floatiest character, with one of the slowest or slowest falling speeds
  • She has 6 jumps, 5 midair jumps (IE, running off a cliff uses 1 of your jumps)
  • If her shield pops, she dies
  • She has probably the largest number of "worthless" moves of any character in Brawl
  • She has a slow dash speed
  • She has a fast aerial acceleration and speed
  • She has no Up-B recovery
  • She no longer has a "7th jump" air dodge as she did in melee.
  • She has lower momentum canceling ability
  • Her specials either have high ending lag, low range, low priority, or no hitbox. Generally multiple. 1 fits all 4 criteria.
  • She can interrupt multi-hit moves sometimes with rest.
  • She has a higher ability to gimp opponents than most characters

Ground Moves Information

• Besides grabs, she has very slow ground moves
  • She has fast/average standing grab, but slow running grab. Her pivot grab is average.
  • She has mediocre range at best for her standard and special attacks on the ground
  • Her grab range is above average
  • Her smashes have a long startup time and lower range, with generally less knockback
  • She has no grabs that can kill realistically
  • She cannot combo out of her jab
  • She has relatively bad tiltes, with her Up Tilt being medicore
  • She has a fast but punishable dash attack, however, it has average knockback.

Air Moves Information

• She can rise in the air using pound
  • She has a relatively bad up air
  • She has a very circumstantial down air
  • She can grab a ledge using rollout
  • She has average range or below average range for her aerials
  • She has a very long sex kick on her neutral air
  • Sing has no effect when the opponent is in the air
  • Rollout hitting someone when she is in the air will make her helpless until she lands, and she cannot grab a ledge, and it will knock her slightly back
  • She has medium speed aerials in general, three medium and two faster aerials.

Dodge Information

• She has among the worst dodges in the game
  • She has long vulnerability on her airdodge
  • She has a long roll, with less vulnerability but still substantial
  • She has among the worst spot dodge in the game

Rest Information

• Rest lasts the exact same amount of time as in melee
  • The hitbox is smaller by comparison to body size making it harder to hit
  • It has substantially less knockback and is not affected by where you hit the opponent with it, it always has a vertical knockback
  • Sakurai made it suck compared to melee

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Nice guide, but there are a couple of mistakes I spotted.

she was originally tied in melee with G&W for lightest
Actually, in Melee she was tied with G&W for second lightest. Pichu was lighter.

She has relatively bad tiltes, with her Up Tilt being medicore
Jigglypuff's tilts aren't relatively bad. They're far worse than that (except for UTilt, which is half-decent).

She has a relatively bad up air
What's wrong with Uair? I think it's quite a good move.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Nice finds!

I'll try too keep some of these discoveries in mind when I play. This is just too much to ask for alex :).

Noobicidal

Smash Master
She has a very circumstantial down air
I lol'd.

Dair can shield poke, cancels projectiles almost as well as pound, serves as a decent approach move due to Jiggs being able to weave in and out with it, force tripping (which is useful aside from Rest), it slices, it dices, and you get a complementary set of stainless steel utensils with it.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Nice guide, but there are a couple of mistakes I spotted.

Actually, in Melee she was tied with G&W for second lightest. Pichu was lighter.

Jigglypuff's tilts aren't relatively bad. They're far worse than that (except for UTilt, which is half-decent).

What's wrong with Uair? I think it's quite a good move.
Forgot about Pichu. ****.

I lol'd.

Dair can shield poke, cancels projectiles almost as well as pound, serves as a decent approach move due to Jiggs being able to weave in and out with it, force tripping (which is useful aside from Rest), it slices, it dices, and you get a complementary set of stainless steel utensils with it.
Right but use a falling and nair and thats dumb as hell. IE, you can only use it on the rise. Which is pretty circumstantial if you think about it.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
great stuff, this really makes me want to go back to puff.

oh wait it's the truth.

SDC

Smash Lord
i just want to throw this in there about where you said "no '7th jump' air dodge" which is true (and i like all else was dissapointed to see this had been taken out), however i've seen that the extended ledge grabbing (especially with an ever-so-slight boost from sleep of all things) allows her to have a recovery length similar to her "7th jump" aka air dodge. its not an air dodge, but its nearly as good in my opinion. Also it gives her good edge camping options lol

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Thanks for posting this, Alex. It's always good to to have these facts fresh in our minds.

i just want to throw this in there about where you said "no '7th jump' air dodge" which is true (and i like all else was dissapointed to see this had been taken out), however i've seen that the extended ledge grabbing (especially with an ever-so-slight boost from sleep of all things) allows her to have a recovery length similar to her "7th jump" aka air dodge. its not an air dodge, but its nearly as good in my opinion. Also it gives her good edge camping options lol
What, are you talking about the fact that you get pulled to the edge? That happenes to everyone, though AND they get the benifit of having an upB.

When you say if gets an extention due to sleep, did you mean due to sing? Does sing give her better recovery, if only slightly?

noahbaby94

Smash Cadet
Yes sing gives a slight boost there was a youtube vid but I can't seem to find it right now basically if the offwaves of sing hit the edge she'll pop onto it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Dair and Nair are her best two OoS options. Fair and Bair are good too but its Dair and Nair's combo potential that make them her best OoS options. Dair for grabs and rest or just damage if you think about it, and Nair for the sex kick. They both are just "other aerials" along with uair, so use them as much as you want, itl stale your Bair and Fair which is good (bair cuz it's your main attacking move so y not make it do more %?).

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Can one of ya'll post a youtube vid? Or give me a name(s). I'd like to see some tactics and approach methods by eye. Thanks, I appreciate it.

SDC

Smash Lord
i know i didnt even mention her lack of an up b, hell i wish we had that, thatd be great (thx sakurai, professional *******).

lol yeah sorry bout that mistype, it is sleep that gives a slight boost to jiggz recovery, cant remember the vid, but i think it has something to do with improving her edge-grabbing box or something, dont know the exact reason lol.

ZitchX

Smash Cadet
Im such a Noob but...

Like Her Fair Sex kick and all... well the sex part of it :laugh: after it... the computer footstooled me and did a dair... is this even usable?

God im noob

PND

Smash Champion
Fair? Haven't seen it used like that. I do it out of nair often enough, though. Sourspot nair -> footstool.

Top Bottom