• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A "Psystriking" Discovery: The Mewtwo Moveset Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
My original idea for a new Mewtwo moveset was, looking back on it, kind of bad. While it was different, it didn't feel....Mewtwo-like. It felt more like someone's dumb Hitmonchan moveset than a Mewtwo moveset.
I wanted to keep him from being a direct copy of his Melee self, and maybe make him more competetively viable; so I took what made Melee's Mewtwo work and worked around that as a basis, while revamping him appropriately.

The custom moves were directly inspired by Palutena's (which all are completely different); but the idea of having Mewtwo be more unpredictable is, in some ways, a marked improvement over his Melee incarnation. So the customs became areas where I could insert other moves that some may not have expected from Mewtwo, like ThunderPunch or Aerial Ace. But at his core, he's fairly similar; just heavier, a bit stronger, less floaty and overall better without coming off as.... well, a Hitmonchan wannabe. :p

I also incorporated both Femtwo and Mantwo into the same character, much like P:M did for Dr. Mario and Super Mario. Outside of Final Smash and voices, they play identically.​

General Stats and Information:
Size Class: B (around as tall as Ike)
Speed: Medium (about as fast as Mario)
Weight Class: Light-Heavyweight (around the same weight as Falco)
Power Class: High (around Dedede's level)
Pros: Faster, heavier and stronger (too) than in Melee, more variety to attacks, attacks have less lag than in Melee
Cons: Requires good timing to fully utilize, has problems with being edgeguarded sometimes

Idles:
Idle 1: Mewtwo stands tall, arms at his/her side.
Idle 2: Mewtwo closes his/her eyes and focuses.
Idle 3: Mewtwo crosses his/her arms and glares.

Attacks:
Jab: Mewtwo thrusts an arm forwards.
Double Jab: Mewtwo thrusts the other arm forwards.
Up-A: Mewtwo creates a small burst of psychic power from his/her fist.
Side-A: Mewtwo swings his/her tail forwards.
Down-A: Mewtwo does a leg sweep with his/her tail.
U-Smash: Mewtwo charges his/her psychic power and creates a burst of energy.
S-Smash: Mewtwo slams his/her tail in a half-circle motion.
D-Smash: Mewtwo creates a small explosion of energy on either side of it.
Neutral Special: Shadow Ball (same as it was in Melee, with maybe some added knockback)

Up Special: Teleport (allows Mewtwo to warp a decent distance. Is changed to allow acting out of the move, allowing the move to see use for combos)

Side Special: Confusion (Mewtwo flips a foe, item or projectile in the opposite direction to which he/she is facing. Acts similarly to how it did in Melee but is slightly faster)

Down Special: Disable (Mewtwo stuns his/her foe by glaring into their eyes. Can be used to set up combos or plan counterattacks.

Final Smash: Mega Mewtwo (Mewtwo Mega Evolves into either Mega Mewtwo X or Y, based on which voice/costume is used. Mega Mewtwo X (the male voice) becomes heavier (about Bowser-weight) and stronger (also around Bowser strength), but also becomes slower (just a little faster than Ganondorf). Mega Mewtwo Y (the female voice) is lighter (about as light as Zero-Suit Samus) and faster (about as fast as Captain Falcon), but is slightly less powerful physically. However, all of Y-Forme's neutral specials become fully charged for the full duration of the Final Smash. Either transformation lasts for about the same length of time that Giga Bowser did in Brawl.)

Custom Moves
Custom N-Special 1:
Secret Power (is much faster, but fairly low for knockback. Good for setting up combos)
Custom N-Special 2:
ThunderPunch (has good knockback and causes stun, but is limited in range and easy to counter)
Custom N-Special 3:
Poison Jab (faster and inflicts a Lip's Stick-like status on connect)

Custom U-Special 1:
Aerial Ace (has better distance than Teleport, but has lag where he/she can't act out of it for a second)
Custom U-Special 2:
Icy Wind (damages foes that touch him/her and spikes anyone below him/her. Has a 1/50 chance of causing the opponent to freeze as if hit by a Freezie)
Custom U-Special 3:
Substitute (Mewtwo creates a Substitute and teleports in the direction the analog stick is held. Foes attacking the Substitute do no damage to Mewtwo himself/herself, but can destroy the Substitute if they hit it with a strong enough attack; doing so makes Mewtwo enter the helpless state immediately)

Custom S-Special 1:
Barrier (acts like Fox's Reflector, but cannot be used to attack directly with. Is also slower to get up than Reflector.)
Custom S-Special 2:
Light Screen (blocks physical projectiles instead of reflecting them back, but has similar speed to Melee's Confusion and does not reflect special projectiles like Charge Shots or Blaster shots)
Custom S-Special 3:
Reflect (sends projectiles back at opponnents with higher power and speed, but can leave Mewtwo open)

Custom D-Special 1:
Taunt (instead of stun, causes the foe to automatically enter "rage", but they take more damage and knockback)
Custom D-Special 2:
Torment (Mewtwo fills the target's mind with dark thoughts, slowly damaging them over time. Does more DPS than Nosferatsu, but has less stun, doesn't heal Mewtwo and cannot trap foes.)
Custom D-Special 3:
Recover (Mewtwo focuses it's energy and heals itself. Recover heals 3%/second, but leaves him completely open to counterattack, as Mewtwo is rendered completely immobile and he/she cannot quickly cancel the attack.)

Victory Theme:
Similarly to Bowser's or Meta Knight's, a remix of the traditional Pokémon victory theme.
Taunts:
1: Mewtwo spins in a circle and laughs.
2: Mewtwo growls as his/her eyes glow and he/she glares at the other fighters.
3: Mewtwo levitates in the air slightly and a bright blue aura appears around it.
Victory Animations:
Male:
1: Mewtwo glows with a bright blue energy and laughs.
2: Mewtwo says "You are poorly trained."
3: Mewtwo teleports in and proclaims "I am the world's strongest Pokémon!"
4: Mewtwo snarls, then says "This is my destiny!"
Female:
1: Mewtwo scoffs and crosses her arms.
2: Mewtwo levitates and laughs.
3: Mewtwo chuckles and floats in place with a grin.
4: Mewtwo Mega Evolves and says "Forget this ever happened."

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Well, of course; we don't even have any info on Mewtwo other than "HE IS A DLC THING", so this is just me thinking about what could be a nice change in moveset for Mewtwo to have.

I wish I had the official moveset, but I don't. :p

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
My original idea for a new Mewtwo moveset was, looking back on it, kind of bad. While it was different, it didn't feel....Mewtwo-like. It felt more like someone's dumb Hitmonchan moveset than a Mewtwo moveset.
I wanted to keep him from being a direct copy of his Melee self, and maybe make him more competetively viable; so I took what made Melee's Mewtwo work and worked around that as a basis, while revamping him appropriately.

The custom moves were directly inspired by Palutena's (which all are completely different); but the idea of having Mewtwo be more unpredictable is, in some ways, a marked improvement over his Melee incarnation. So the customs became areas where I could insert other moves that some may not have expected from Mewtwo, like ThunderPunch or Aerial Ace. But at his core, he's fairly similar; just heavier, a bit stronger, less floaty and overall better without coming off as.... well, a Hitmonchan wannabe. :p

I also incorporated both Femtwo and Mantwo into the same character, much like P:M did for Dr. Mario and Super Mario. Outside of Final Smash and voices, they play identically.​

General Stats and Information:
Size Class: B (around as tall as Ike)
Speed: Medium (about as fast as Mario)
Weight Class: Light-Heavyweight (around the same weight as Falco)
Power Class: High (around Dedede's level)
Pros: Faster, heavier and stronger (too) than in Melee, more variety to attacks, attacks are less predictable
Cons: Requires good timing to fully utilize, has problems with being edgeguarded sometimes

Idles:
Idle 1: Mewtwo stands tall, arms at his/her side.
Idle 2: Mewtwo closes his/her eyes and focuses.
Idle 3: Mewtwo crosses his/her arms and glares.

Attacks:
Jab: Mewtwo thrusts an arm forwards.
Double Jab: Mewtwo thrusts the other arm forwards.
Up-A: Mewtwo creates a small burst of psychic power from his/her fist.
Side-A: Mewtwo swings his/her tail forwards.
Down-A: Mewtwo does a leg sweep with his/her tail.
U-Smash: Mewtwo charges his/her psychic power and creates a burst of energy.
S-Smash: Mewtwo slams his/her tail in a half-circle motion.
D-Smash: Mewtwo creates a small explosion of energy on either side of it.
Neutral Special: Shadow Ball (same as it was in Melee, with maybe some added knockback)

Up Special: Teleport (allows Mewtwo to warp a decent distance. Is changed to allow acting out of the move, allowing the move to see use for combos)

Side Special: Confusion (Mewtwo flips a foe, item or projectile in the opposite direction to which he/she is facing. Acts similarly to how it did in Melee but is slightly faster)

Down Special: Disable (Mewtwo stuns his/her foe by glaring into their eyes. Can be used to set up combos or plan counterattacks.

Final Smash: Mega Mewtwo (Mewtwo Mega Evolves into either Mega Mewtwo X or Y, based on which voice/costume is used. Mega Mewtwo X (the male voice) becomes heavier (about Bowser-weight) and stronger (also around Bowser strength), but also becomes slower (just a little faster than Ganondorf). Mega Mewtwo Y (the female voice) is lighter (about as light as Zero-Suit Samus) and faster (about as fast as Captain Falcon), but is slightly less powerful physically. However, all of Y-Forme's neutral specials become fully charged for the full duration of the Final Smash. Either transformation lasts for about the same length of time that Giga Bowser did in Brawl.)

Custom Moves
Custom N-Special 1:
Secret Power (is much faster, but fairly low for knockback. Good for setting up combos)
Custom N-Special 2:
ThunderPunch (has good knockback and causes stun, but is limited in range and easy to counter)
Custom N-Special 3:
Poison Jab (faster and inflicts a Lip's Stick-like status on connect)

Custom U-Special 1:
Aerial Ace (has better distance than Teleport, but has lag where he/she can't act out of it for a second)
Custom U-Special 2:
Icy Wind (damages foes that touch him/her and spikes anyone below him/her. Has a 1/50 chance of causing the opponent to freeze as if hit by a Freezie)
Custom U-Special 3:
Substitute (Mewtwo creates a Substitute and teleports in the direction the analog stick is held. Foes attacking the Substitute do no damage to Mewtwo himself/herself, but can destroy the Substitute if they hit it with a strong enough attack; doing so makes Mewtwo enter the helpless state immediately)

Custom S-Special 1:
Barrier (acts like Fox's Reflector, but cannot be used to attack directly with. Is also slower to get up than Reflector.)
Custom S-Special 2:
Light Screen (blocks physical projectiles instead of reflecting them back, but has similar speed to Melee's Confusion and does not reflect special projectiles like Charge Shots or Blaster shots)
Custom S-Special 3:
Reflect (sends projectiles back at opponnents with higher power and speed, but can leave Mewtwo open)

Custom D-Special 1:
Taunt (instead of stun, causes the foe to automatically enter "rage", but they take more damage and knockback)
Custom D-Special 2:
Torment (Mewtwo fills the target's mind with dark thoughts, slowly damaging them over time. Does more DPS than Nosferatsu, but has less stun, doesn't heal Mewtwo and cannot trap foes.)
Custom D-Special 3:
Recover (Mewtwo focuses it's energy and heals itself. Recover heals 3%/second, but leaves him open to counterattack.)

Victory Theme:
Similarly to Bowser's or Meta Knight's, a remix of the traditional Pokémon victory theme.
Taunts:
1: Mewtwo spins in a circle and laughs.
2: Mewtwo growls as his/her eyes glow and he/she glares at the other fighters.
3: Mewtwo levitates in the air slightly and a bright blue aura appears around it.
Victory Animations:
Male:
1: Mewtwo glows with a bright blue energy and laughs.
2: Mewtwo says "You are poorly trained."
3: Mewtwo teleports in and proclaims "I am the world's strongest Pokémon!"
4: Mewtwo snarls, then says "This is my destiny!"
Female:
1: Mewtwo scoffs and crosses her arms.
2: Mewtwo levitates and laughs.
3: Mewtwo chuckles and floats in place with a grin.
4: Mewtwo Mega Evolves and says "Forget this ever happened."
cons: (sounds like wii fit trainer)
Pros: (you meant to say less start up lag)
custom special icy wind: (1/50 is too low)
custom special taunt: (range?)
custom special recover: (sounds OP please add detail)
More: too much like melee!
Q: Is his idle animation floating and can he dash/glide over bananas like Meta Knight in Brawl?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
cons: (sounds like wii fit trainer)
Pros: (you meant to say less start up lag)
custom special icy wind: (1/50 is too low)
custom special taunt: (range?)
custom special recover: (sounds OP please add detail)
More: too much like melee!
Q: Is his idle animation floating and can he dash/glide over bananas like Meta Knight in Brawl?
1. The custom taunt is actually based on Barrier's anime appearance, so it's not a taunt attack. It could potentially block thrown items, though.
2. Will elaborate on Recover, it is a little too vague.
3. I didn't want Icy Wind to become overpowered, so I decided to make it's most powerful effect (the freezing) a somewhat rare event to avoid any strategies that could be broken (like the Pac-Ladder or Luigi Ladder). I imagine the base damage being similar to Fire Fox, though.
4. The idles are on the ground, yes. Dashing also makes him float, so affirmative there, as well.
5. I was actually thinking of Duck Hunt more than Wii Fit Trainer for the cons, but I guess that works, too. :p

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
My thoughts (and dreams) for Mewtwo in Smash 4:

•Jab: Changed to a 1-2-3 with 3 being a finisher, a dark purple blast (2%, 2%, 3%)

•Dash Attack: runs forward and then does a summersault with the tail hitting all the way around (8%)

•Tilts are the same

Smash Attacks:
•F-smash: same except with a further reach and a sweetspot similar to pikas' (14%~22%)
•D-Smash: Like it was in melee, but with it hitting on both sides (15%~23%)
•U-Smash: Changed to be like Lucas' upsmash from Project M (17%~25%) great at kills

Aerials:
•Nair: Same as melee/project m (12%)
•Up Air: same tail spin (10%)
•Fair: Iconic shadow punch (12%)
•Bair: Same as Project M (11%)
•Dair: new, spins around and blasts out a psychic blast the has a meteor spike sweetspot (13%~15%)

Grabs:
•Pummel: 2%
•D-Throw: 8%
•F-Throw: 10%
•B-Throw: 10%
•U-Throw: 11% good for kills

Special Moves:
Neutral B:
Custom 1:
•Shadow Ball- Normal Shadow Ball, does 25% fully charged (kill move)
Custom 2:
•Shadow Shot: Rapid Shadow Ball like Marios Fast fireball
Custom 3:
•Gravity Shot: Huge shadow ball with gravity affect. Bursts and knocks back opponents when they are brought into it and hit it.

Down B:
Custom 1:
•Amnesia: Raises Mewtwos "Special Defense", so for about 8-10 seconds, any projectiles do half-damage and no knockback
Custom 2:
•Agility: Raises speed slightly for about 7-8 seconds like Palutenas custom
Custom 3:
•Future Sight: Predicts an opponents future move and then strikes when they use it next. RNG chooses what move will trigger the attack, and the affect wears of after 15 seconds if the move hasn't been used, indicated by Mewtwo glowing pink for a second

Side B:
Custom 1:
•Swift: Sends out quick stars that fly at the opponent, and deals good knockback. Can follow opponents to a ceartain extent. Far range
Custom 2:
•Psychic: Similar to Zeldas' Din's Fire, this move doesn't damage until the release. It can be moved around and activated early exactly like Din's Fire, but instead of flames, it causes a psychic power to come over the opponent, lifting them off the ground slightly and stunning them in place for a temporary time, damage dependent. Works on airborne opponents too
Custom 3:
•Psycho Cut: Sends a blast of psychic energy that knocks opponents back towards you in a dark explosion, similar to sheiks custom grenades, good range. However, they only knock opponents back into you at the end of the move, otherwise it goes through people, similar to Greninjas shuriken. Basically its a sweetspot explosion at the end that will knock them back towards mewtwo

Up B:
Custom 1:
•Teleport: Normal teleport, can attack out of it
Custom 2:
•Telekinesis: Uses levitation powers to move freely around in the air, but doesnt last very long (4-5 seconds) similar to Pits up B in brawl but more free moving, leaves you in free fall
Custom 3:
•Warp: A faster shorter distance teleport that has a hit box at the bottom and then releases a powerful punch at the top (good KO move)
Future Sight sounds pretty interesting. Imagine the mind games you could play with that. You use it and the foe will avoid you like the Bubonic Plague, which allows you to go crazy with Shadow Ball. Also, anybody with a multi hit attack (Fox's Jab, for example) would be scared stiff less of even using it.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What do you think Mewtwo's custom moves will be?

Assuming his moveset stays the same, I'm hoping to see a non-wavy version of Shadow Ball along with a Disable version that lets him trip opponents instead.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
IMHO I think that Mewtwo should just be a buffed up version of Melee. I like Mewtwo's tail a lot. I liked Mewtwo's tilts and throws the best in Melee. Buff his side and down-b pls.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
IMHO I think that Mewtwo should just be a buffed up version of Melee. I like Mewtwo's tail a lot. I liked Mewtwo's tilts and throws the best in Melee. Buff his side and down-b pls.
What I'm hoping for is that Shadow Ball will still have a hitbox when charging, making it possible to do a shielded jump cancelled upsmash like you can do with Lucario

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
What I'm hoping for is that Shadow Ball will still have a hitbox when charging, making it possible to do a shielded jump cancelled upsmash like you can do with Lucario
It probably won't be as useful as Lucario's though. Mewtwo's ball isn't as big as Lucario's. Nonetheless, as a Lucario player myself, I'm hoping the same. =)

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Depends on how big it. I hope it has a hitbox though still.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
What do you think Mewtwo's custom moves will be?

Assuming his moveset stays the same, I'm hoping to see a non-wavy version of Shadow Ball along with a Disable version that lets him trip opponents instead.
I hope one of his customs is like his up b in pm where he can attack right after.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
oops. I thought Zelda's waved from side to side. Maybe it was someone else's I was thinking of.
No, you're right. He was talking about the people falling out of it part. Zelda's still doesn't have that much range though, but I see what you're saying.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Do you think he'll have a reveal trailer like BowJow and DHD? Because I can imagine a recreation of Mewtwo destroying the lab like in the first movie. But when Giovanni shows up, he gives Mewtwo a Smash Bros. invitation.

Drgoold

Smash Cadet
Do you think he'll have a reveal trailer like BowJow and DHD? Because I can imagine a recreation of Mewtwo destroying the lab like in the first movie. But when Giovanni shows up, he gives Mewtwo a Smash Bros. invitation.
Check this http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/30/rumour-nintendo-direct-on-april-1st/
Sure its coming out on April 1st, but that could be because its the first day after Mewtwo registration, and we already got a nintendo direct this month

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
But wasn't Mewtwo's U-smash like that to begin with?
Yeah, they were very easy to SDI in Melee. But even then, Mewtwo and Zelda's U-smashes have been important parts of their toolkit since then, long-lasting hitboxes prevented opponents from landing on top, and could be used to rack up damage in combos.

Seeing how it's close to impossible to DI out of multi-hit moves in this game, I hope they get it right this time.

DededeKirino

Smash Rookie
NNID
mkatane
They should change his side smash to where he shoots a ball of energy like Megaman's S-smash. Maybe that could be Shadow Ball and make his neutral special Psystrike.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I hope that his tilts remain the same. The range was good, so was the speed they came out.
Nair was always amazing if memory serves correctly and fair was one very satisfying to land.
Teleport should stay as well, but with less ending lag if you teleport to the ground, allowing for follow ups.

please, ninty :D

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Confirmed buffs:
  • U-smash has wider range, is harder to fall out of and has higher k.o. power.
  • Confusion properly relfects projectiles
  • Confusion has more hitstun, allowing for some followups it seems
  • Jab combo has a finisher with knockback
Other stuff I noticed that might be true:
  • Mewtwo can act out of f-throw more quickly
  • The Shadow Balls from f-throw link better
  • Teleport might have less landing lag and may have quicker startup
  • Disable seems to have more stun
  • Seems to run a bit faster
Can't wait for the 15th!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Funny, they implemented the Mega Evolution idea I thought earlier. That instead of being a super mode like Lucario and Charizard, it would simply Mega Evolve and unleash Psystrike.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Can't tell if Melee's Mewtwo was buffed or not.

Jab looks buffed and less laggy, Dair looks like it has less startup lag, but Up-throw looks a little weaker. Side-B definitely got a buff (now properly reflects projectiles and can even catch counters, well :4greninja:'s at least, maybe a gimp tool?). F-throw and U-Smash look buffed from Melee as well.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well, he's definitely Melee Mewtwo alright. Not that I had a problem. I just hope he gets a few buffs out of this.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
He still has Disable, though....think that'll be any good?

Also, is he no longer in free fall with Teleport?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Confirmed buffs:
  • U-smash has wider range, is harder to fall out of and has higher k.o. power.
  • Confusion properly relfects projectiles
  • Confusion has more hitstun, allowing for some followups it seems
  • Jab combo has a finisher with knockback
Other stuff I noticed that might be true:
  • Mewtwo can act out of f-throw more quickly
  • The Shadow Balls from f-throw link better
  • Teleport might have less landing lag and may have quicker startup
  • Disable seems to have more stun
  • Seems to run a bit faster
Can't wait for the 15th!
And his double jump doesn't seem as wonky.

DededeKirino

Smash Rookie
NNID
mkatane
In the video I noticed one of his alts... It was darkish purple body and lighter tail. I knew ive seen that coloration somewhere before.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I'm very glad that Mewtwo's moveset from Super Smash Bros. Melee seems to have been essentially preserved from Super Smash Bros. 4, with buffs and nerfs possibly being added as needed. Shadow Ball looks gorgeous; the "sparky/sparkling" effects and "dark"-effect embellishments are great (Up Throw looked slightly weaker than the Melee implementation, but maybe I'm just seeing things). Particularly, Mewtwo's moves of Shadow Ball, upward throw (strongest Melee throw, woot woot), forward throw (cool rapid-fire miniature Shadow Balls!), and Teleport were the moves I was looking forward to the most to return, followed by Confusion and an improved Disable. I was hoping for Mewtwo's Up-Smash attack to take the form of Lucas's "PK Love" Up-Smash attack from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but now that Lucas has unexpectedly appearing in Super Smash Bros. 4, I guess I'll be happy with the Melee implementation, whatever it was..

I did not know that Mewtwo's Confusion was a poor man's reflector in Melee (in that Mewtwo doesn't get "ownership" of the reflected item..like, why? :glare:); granting Mewtwo ownership for such scenarios in Super Smash Bros. 4 is greatly appreciated. :estatic:

Psycho Break (Psystrike) initially looked like it lacked some "oomph", but I think it is because I was basically expecting a cosmetically-different "Aura Storm" implementation.. Super-relieved that Mega Mewtwo Y/Mewtwo's Awakened Form is used, because it just looks better while "Mega Mewtwo X" just seems terribly frumpy (I don't know why they bothered designing two forms..) and a "physically-based Mewtwo" just seems wrong.. I mean, Mewtwo's Attack stat is usable/decent, but its Special/Special Attack statistic is what made/makes it a truly terrifying force to be reckoned with (in b4 "Smash" doesn't have to follow 'home series conventions').

In the video I noticed one of his alts... It was darkish purple body and lighter tail. I knew ive seen that coloration somewhere before.
Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. 4 with coloration resemnbling "Shadow Lugia"
The "costume" being described is around 0:46 of Mewtwo's Super Smash Bros. 4 promotional character trailer, for anyone wondering.

For some reason, it reminded me of Shadow Lugia's coloration (I think someone did a Mewtwo alternate costume mock-up on that very concept before), I guess to reflect 'villainy' and stuff.. It seemed too 'forced' for my tastes, but lo and behold, the 'Shadow Lugia-ish alternate costume' prediction was largely spot-on.

Credit to this post for finding the image. The original artist is apparently located at: http://rokkan.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
After seeing that trailer, man am I psyched! Mewtwo seems to have a truly awesome moveset, and while I confess to not being the biggest Melee player (can't remember his Melee moveset too clearly), I certainly remember similarities!
My question is what move Mewtwo is using when he dodges Megaman's attack in the trailer. It looks like Teleport, but it seems almost more like a dodge... Am I just looking too much into it?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
After seeing that trailer, man am I psyched! Mewtwo seems to have a truly awesome moveset, and while I confess to not being the biggest Melee player (can't remember his Melee moveset too clearly), I certainly remember similarities!
My question is what move Mewtwo is using when he dodges Megaman's attack in the trailer. It looks like Teleport, but it seems almost more like a dodge... Am I just looking too much into it?
Yeah, it's a horizontal teleport. I guess it activating faster than usual threw you off?

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I'll probably use the Shiny and Shadow Lugia alts but I wanna talk about combos.
First of all, his d-throw:
http://gfycat.com/DapperDelectableGosling
This move looks like it has a lot of combo potential, It looks like it can combo into up smash at lower percents and every aerial except dair (assuming up air is the same from melee).

His fair:

This move looked pretty different to me and so I looked up Mewtwo's melee frame data and found this

I figured out it was the same move and the camera angle messed me up, from all the combo videos I've seen from melee and pm this move is great for combos.

His nair:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5619967 (I have no idea how to make gfycats)
This move is pretty good now thanks to no SDI and can potentially be a really good finisher.

His dair:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5620042
The startup
, I have no idea what we can combo into this but we have to find something it's just too perfect to not be a finisher of some sort.

Well that's all I can think of for now but don't be afraid to share your thoughts! Can't wait until the 18th!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well hey! Yall got psystrike in Mewtwo's final smash which is MegaM2Y like we all predicted! It looks awesome crushing everyone's mind~ I'm really glad they just slightly tweaked his original moveset though, I love it, ganna feel right at home on the 15th <3

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
His moveset is basically melee but I think there were many buffs since Mewtwo was considered pretty bad in Melee. I think disable is buffed as well as confusion range. Not sure if teleport puts into helpless or not

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Going off what I saw and some comments in here.

Some people said his Uthrow looked less powerful but tbh we didn't know the % Luigi was at when that happened so that is still in the air.

His fair, official site picture, doesn't look like melee levels of bad. That move was really really bad in melee.

His Usmash kill seemed to be legit, though idk what the percent was but I think it looks like a good way to KO now.

Nair no longer has the SDI factor so that helps that out.

All of his specials, except maybe his normal B, look like they got buffed in terms of how viable they are. Legitimately way more solid moves.

You can actually follow up from a disable with more than 1-2 things for a good punish.

He looks like scary on a glance but we can wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom