• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Pit Strategy Guide Final Version (Almost completly redone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Those 3 space animals may pose a threat to Pit players since they each have a reflector. I feel that Fox is the most annoying of the 3 (i faced a noobish blaster-spammin fox so...) and must be dealt with first.

Andrex

Smash Apprentice
Well the space animals and Marth are top-characters, so it'll be hard for anyone to be really effective against them all the time.

Looking forward to each and every update.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
I dont no if I'm being stupid about this but i'll say it anyway. If your pit and your on the ledge on the control stick, jump backwards a bit so your facing away from the stage and then direct pit back to do a bair. Also on battlefield if your opponent is on the ledge and you drop down to hit them with a bair it will bounce them from the bottom of battlefield down into the abyss.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
You just can't spam as much against them. However Pit has something that will be able to combat each one in their specific strengths.

Fox
~Fox is probably the biggest threat. He's fast. VERY fast in the right hands and probably the most dangerous when it comes to his combination of speed and power on the ground. A good Fox will learn to utilize the Powershield as I've been ranting about in every thread back here. However this is where one of Pit's greatest strengths (and also one of the most over looked) comes into play. Most of his attacks have multiple points of attack. Against a character like Fox, the A-A-A combo is very effective in stopping a speedy Fox. A charging Fox that is conditioned to Powershield then counter with a Smash (which is often fatal) will often try to come out of his shield as fast as he can after having powershielded the initial hit. Multi attacks such as A-A-A will interrupt him and throw him back. Another great move for this is the F-Smash. I know, I know you're going to say that it's a kill move and shouldn't be spammed but I disagree. It's a perfect interrupting move and suits it's purpose well. Getting an opponent such as Fox or any of the other space animals puts them at a disadvantage. Which brings me to my second point.

Once Fox is off the edge you can keep them from coming back very easily. Edge Hog until your opponent commits to a recovery. Wait then drop off to intercept any aerial. The Bair is an obvious choice. As is the Fiar. However the Nair is probably the safest. No way they are getting past you and you'll certainly toss them away from the stage if you're DIing away from them. Also keep in mind that you can Uair them for a similar effect if they recover above you. Finally the Dair. Yes it can be used against the space animals very well in this situation. Best used on an opponent recovering from below you, it can be used to again knock opponents away from the stage. Odds are if you're using this as a edge guarding maneuver your opponent will get hit by it while the blade is facing away from the stage. This is throw them away from the stage and up. This is very useful because a panicked opponent will try to recover high with one of their linear recoveries. This will leave them open to punishment.

As for the reflectors just make sure to change the trajectory of your projectile at the last moment to change the angle in which it would be reflected. If you can't do this a simple SH arrow will work too.

Falco
~Falco is probably the easiest to combat. He's not as fast as Fox and his reflector is more difficult to use. Follow similar tips as suggested against Fox and you should be fine. Remember to nerf his lasers by reflecting them and watch out for periodic shots from the laser.

Wolf
~Wolf is the easiest to gimp. Go to town with your Smashes. You won't need them to kill and in the end your only real task against Wolf is to get him off the edge. You can guard the edge VERY easily as Wolf's recovery is very limited. He can't use his reflector to stall off the edge and he can't jump very far. His Up-B is like Zelda's in the sense that he can't DI after using it for awhile. A Wolf will always aim for the edge even if it's being guarded. He doesn't have a choice and once on the edge he's got some moves he can use that are unique to him.

Wolf won't spam as much as the other animals but be careful of his periodic blasts from his gun. A decent Wolf will use the laser to prolong combos on characters like Pit. Likewise be sure to use your Arrows in a similar fashion.

Wolf has some decievingly long ranged attacks. His F-Tilt is one of these AND is a multi-hit attack. Powershielding this attack can be tricky but either waiting it out or reacting quickly with a quick move can overcome this. He F-Smash is a beast of an attack. He'll lunge at you and even if blocked he may end up behind you. Pivot Grabbing is probably the fastest way to punish this attack.

Wolf's Bair is his best move. It has very little landing lag; comes out fast; has great knock-back; and doesn't outlast it's welcome. Just because you Air Dodge it doesn't mean you're safe. The Wolf Wall is a pseudo Wall of Pain WoP and can be very annoying.

Wolf has a few unique abilities on the edge. Most notably Scarring. Scarring is where Wolf is able to use his Over-B to actually go through the edge of the stage and appear well onto the stage. Getting hit by this guarantees a sweet-spot and will send you flying to some extent. Also if done while touching the edge it Wolf will teleport to the edge of the stage resulting in zero lag. If you can predict this it's easily punish. If not it can come back to bite you.

Again many of what I mentioned is interchangeable with one another. Again, getting past the speed of Fox is all I see as an issue. You're faster then two of the three space animals and if you can mix up your attacks with multi-hit attacks you can keep the faster ones off-balance. In particular Fox. Fox can combat you in a similar fashion by holding A for rabid Rabbit Punches. This is mostly an annoyance however.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I dont no if I'm being stupid about this but i'll say it anyway. If your pit and your on the ledge on the control stick, jump backwards a bit so your facing away from the stage and then direct pit back to do a bair. Also on battlefield if your opponent is on the ledge and you drop down to hit them with a bair it will bounce them from the bottom of battlefield down into the abyss.
Hmm, the B-air into the battlefield while they're hanging wouldn't be a good idea, but doing it while they're below the ledge and trying to recover could work. Thanks for the idea.

I knew about the ledge hop B-air. I didn't mention it because it's too slow and predictable. You'll eat an F-smash every time after the first try.

Great move for this is the F-Smash. I know, I know you're going to say that it's a kill move and shouldn't be spammed but I disagree. It's a perfect interrupting move and suits it's purpose well.
When I talked about your use of F-smash in your matches, I was mainly concerned about predictability and punishment. The comment about diminishing power was really just a side note, and actually I wasn't too sure about how great of an affect it would have. But yes, I do agree that the F-smash is a great interrupter, at least in situations where it isn't safer to do AAA. Such situations would be when they're short hopping, or are committed to an attack.

Thank you very much for your huge contribution to the topic! Would it be okay if I directly quoted you on parts?

When you talked about edgeguarding you only talked about using attacks, but how easy is it to mirror shield reflect them? I haven't tried myself yet.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
lol I was just talking about it in general. And you can do whatever you like with my post. I don't mind. And finally it's incredibly easy if they come at any angle aside from straight below. Which is very easy to see coming and Pit has several ways to handle recovery from below.

Icege

Smash Apprentice
First, thanks for the thread. It's helped a lot :)

I'm a veteran fighting game player, but am new to Smash. I decided to get on Brawl since it was as close to a "fresh start" that I could get. Currently, I'm maining Pit and Wolf.

I was having a lot of trouble vs. Toon Link tonight. Primarily with a couple of situations:

1) When in the air above him, his u-smash seems to beat EVERYTHING I do. This frustrated me to no end due to situation #2. I began dodging near the end of the night, but have no clue what I should be doing. I began just smashing in whatever direction he was in afterwards since sometimes I'd land behind him with my back turned. I'm not seeing the game well enough yet to know what the positioning is going to be. Am I doing the right thing here?

2) His d-aerial seems to beat everything I do as well. Whenever he gets above me, he just does d-air. At first I tried beating it out, which did not fly very well since he'd just pogo me afterwards (I didn't try u-tilt, primarily u-smash, u-air, n-air). Then I tried shielding it, but he'd bounce harmlessly off me to safety. I tried moving out of the way, but when he hits the ground, I get pushed out of range to attack him. I starting just shooting arrows or doing running attacks afterwards to get some type of damage in. I thought about possibly running out of the way and short hopping into b-air after I left the place I was playing. I also had a problem with running too far away, sliding, then turning around. I should probably brake with the shield so that it's easier to get back in.

3) Final Smash. I hate it. Luck was definitely against me tonight. Plenty of times I'd hit the ball three or even four times and get nothing. He'd whack it twice, and it was his. Can you shield or roll from the attack? Or once I'm in line of sight, I'm pretty much ****ed? It's ridiculous. Seems that if I'm over 30% and he hits me with it, I'm losing a stock. It got to the point of where I was just desperately holding the ledge hoping for him to take a chance.

The match up is very frustrating to me. Toon Link seems to do just as much damage as Pit while having a better Final Smash, but has better KO potential to me. Again, I'm very much new to Smash, so forgive me if there are some basics I'm forgetting.

Help? Anyone? Should I just pick Wolf instead? >.>

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
First, thanks for the thread. It's helped a lot :)

I'm a veteran fighting game player, but am new to Smash. I decided to get on Brawl since it was as close to a "fresh start" that I could get. Currently, I'm maining Pit and Wolf.

I was having a lot of trouble vs. Toon Link tonight. Primarily with a couple of situations:

1) When in the air above him, his u-smash seems to beat EVERYTHING I do. This frustrated me to no end due to situation #2. I began dodging near the end of the night, but have no clue what I should be doing. I began just smashing in whatever direction he was in afterwards since sometimes I'd land behind him with my back turned. I'm not seeing the game well enough yet to know what the positioning is going to be. Am I doing the right thing here?

2) His d-aerial seems to beat everything I do as well. Whenever he gets above me, he just does d-air. At first I tried beating it out, which did not fly very well since he'd just pogo me afterwards (I didn't try u-tilt, primarily u-smash, u-air, n-air). Then I tried shielding it, but he'd bounce harmlessly off me to safety. I tried moving out of the way, but when he hits the ground, I get pushed out of range to attack him. I starting just shooting arrows or doing running attacks afterwards to get some type of damage in. I thought about possibly running out of the way and short hopping into b-air after I left the place I was playing. I also had a problem with running too far away, sliding, then turning around. I should probably brake with the shield so that it's easier to get back in.

3) Final Smash. I hate it. Luck was definitely against me tonight. Plenty of times I'd hit the ball three or even four times and get nothing. He'd whack it twice, and it was his. Can you shield or roll from the attack? Or once I'm in line of sight, I'm pretty much ****ed? It's ridiculous. Seems that if I'm over 30% and he hits me with it, I'm losing a stock. It got to the point of where I was just desperately holding the ledge hoping for him to take a chance.

The match up is very frustrating to me. Toon Link seems to do just as much damage as Pit while having a better Final Smash, but has better KO potential to me. Again, I'm very much new to Smash, so forgive me if there are some basics I'm forgetting.

Help? Anyone? Should I just pick Wolf instead? >.>
I haven't had much experience against Toon Link. I'll begin experimenting on him, and I'll update the guide with my results.

Final smashes aren't balanced, and aren't considered a part of competitive play. When trying to open the Smash Ball with Pit, use B-air, F-air, and D-air. N-air and U-air don't do enough damage, and send the ball flying away.

Very very nice (^___^)
I liked reading about it (^.^)
Umm.....grats! I appricate your efforts (^_^)
I'm glad you liked reading my guide! I am always worried that my language in it isn't varied enough to keep it from being boring.

2.4 is here. Thanks UndrDog, I directly quoted you on Wolf. You know some stuff about him I wouldn't have found out without doing a lot of digging.

I put in a tidbit about Marth's side-B combo. It's very easy to punish.

J1nx

Smash Rookie
Very nice guide. I was just wondering if you could put in an analysis of Pit's moves.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
The way I looked at it when I first planned this guide, I thought of two different things this could be.

One way is the traditional FAQ that goes like this...
List the attack > Situation where it's appropriate

I choose to do it in reverse...
List the situation > Attacks that are appropriate

Going through the Book of Fire, I mention every attack at least once. I suppose I could still make a section about attacks, and list their data such as damage deterioration, frames, hitboxes, etc. It could be something to consider after I'm done with Wind.

If an attack analysis would be easier for you to think about when considering your options, instead of thinking about your situation. DEHF has already written a traditional guide.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145167

Icege

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response, much appreciated :)

A player I met at my school told me there was a sidestep function (I felt like such a nub not knowing this). I'm not sure how it would work though, since Toon Link's d-air seems to be pretty meaty. I'll give it a try in training mode here in a few minutes.

So tournaments do not allow Final Smashes? That's a relief. I don't mind playing with them in free for alls or when people are screwing around, but I really enjoy the competitive rules and nature of the game. It's just hard to play that way with all of the casual players since they'll get salty over losing.

What's the best way to deal with people that spam air dodge and rolling? I've been utilizing N-air a lot to try and deal with the air dodges (I wish there was a universal air grab that would sling a player straight down) and d-smash to try and catch rollers. Is there a window of vulnerability after a roll where you can get free hits in a la CvS2? Or can you perhaps throw them out of a roll?

What's the verdict on side-B? The move is fairly laggy if it misses, and something about it bothers me. It's good and it isn't. I rarely use it because I'm convinced something is wrong with it and I'll develop bad habits if I throw it out there.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Brilliant work! My Pit will learn this ASAP (maybe i should call him Captain or Commander [Military Rank-related]). On Friday, my Golden Pit will have a rematch with this annoying Fox player. Together, we will prevail!

Now i wait for strategies to kill the yellow rat that we all know as Pikachu. (Sorry if i offended you Pika fans)
Maybe UndrDog can help out again. You can find my post that might help vs Pika located in this link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155512
You may want UndrDog to check it first, to see if it's good advice.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Hmm... I have very little experience versus Pikachu. I won't try to give advice in an area I'm unfamiliar with. Don't want to be the cause of someone's defeat unless I'm their opponent. lol

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I understand.
My eternal grudge against Pikachu is just simple. And it all started by him zapping Team Rocket all the time in the anime, then it was killing my Meta Knight and Dedede, and now Pit falls to him once! Even my Best (Bowser) fell to him before! I wont forgive the yellow rodent for what he done.

Sorry, had to get it outta my system. Either Pikachu, Sheik, or Ike goes next on the list because I did have some experience against Ike and Sheik too (which happens to be 2 other ones i hate). Sheik, just because of her annoying speed and needles, and Ike for Outpowering my Bowser.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Thanks for the response, much appreciated :)

A player I met at my school told me there was a sidestep function (I felt like such a nub not knowing this). I'm not sure how it would work though, since Toon Link's d-air seems to be pretty meaty. I'll give it a try in training mode here in a few minutes.

So tournaments do not allow Final Smashes? That's a relief. I don't mind playing with them in free for alls or when people are screwing around, but I really enjoy the competitive rules and nature of the game. It's just hard to play that way with all of the casual players since they'll get salty over losing.

What's the best way to deal with people that spam air dodge and rolling? I've been utilizing N-air a lot to try and deal with the air dodges (I wish there was a universal air grab that would sling a player straight down) and d-smash to try and catch rollers. Is there a window of vulnerability after a roll where you can get free hits in a la CvS2? Or can you perhaps throw them out of a roll?

What's the verdict on side-B? The move is fairly laggy if it misses, and something about it bothers me. It's good and it isn't. I rarely use it because I'm convinced something is wrong with it and I'll develop bad habits if I throw it out there.
I can help you with Toon Link now. Try to avoid the D-air by spotdodging, rolling, or walking. After he hits the ground he's completely helpless to a smash attack.

Getting safely to the ground is hard for Pit in general. Airdodge to avoid Toon Links attacks since they're single hits. You can try gliding to get away.

The best way to defeat roll abusers is by dash grabbing. There is a point where they stand up from a roll where it's unavoidable for them miss getting grabbed.

The Side-B should be used rarely. Mainly it's for getting through spaced opponents shields, and reflecting projectiles. I have found it useful from time to time for ledge hopping when they expect to shield grab a ledge attack. Side-B is also a safe way of dealing with short hops.

Nice Guide I look at it every time a now version comes out i made a Small stage Guide with Underdogs help if you wanta use its info just copy stuff so all the Pit info is in one place. http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157709
Oh wow, thanks! I'll definitely use this. It's great to know I have a regular reader. :)

Brilliant work! My Pit will learn this ASAP (maybe i should call him Captain or Commander [Military Rank-related]). On Friday, my Golden Pit will have a rematch with this annoying Fox player. Together, we will prevail!

Now i wait for strategies to kill the yellow rat that we all know as Pikachu. (Sorry if i offended you Pika fans)
Maybe UndrDog can help out again. You can find my post that might help vs Pika located in this link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155512
You may want UndrDog to check it first, to see if it's good advice.
You have some solid tips I'll include. Sounds like you've faced him a lot.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pikachu is a big Nemesis of mine. All I would do is kill him even in Melee. All of characters faced him, and like i said, i got an Eternal Grudge on Pika. Thankfully, Pit could counter him if used correctly.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I think I got Pikachu covered now, but please do tell what you know about the Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, and anyone else for that matter.

Pikachu has been put into Wind. There are a few little things I've found out about him as well from playing you might want to look at.

EDIT: I added a trip combo to the guide. Thanks to mugwhump and his research.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm glad I could be of assistance. Thank my brave Pit for taking Pika on. I plan on finding information on Ike next perhaps, since i have a friend who uses him.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Due to the recent discussion going on, Game & Watch has been made into my next subject. His bucket isn't as deadly to Pit's arrows as you may think.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
lol... Game & Watch
Ok now to be serious. G&W is a very light character, and by all means take him out quickly. That does not mean that you can be reckless though. Have a bit of patience when facing him. He isnt completely difficult if you're patient. Memeorize your opponent's movements, alter your approach, be defensive, and he is yours, well for the most part.
His sasuage isnt only dangerous to your Up+B, but to your gliding too. Dont glide often against a G&W, and mix up your attacks to keep the opponent guessing.

Note: My Bowser has had the G&W experience, so I decided to transfer it to Pit experience, where it's necessary.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I haven't said everything I can about G&W yet. I only addressed the main issues people were having.

I saw Gameguitarist's thread about things that should be more well known (this was a while ago actually), and I've tested the specifics of combing the U-air from the down-throw. The damage range that you can do this is very big! I'll quote what I put into the guide.

A down-throw to a full jump and U-air is a guaranteed combo at certain percents. Against Bowser it works up to 70%, and works up to 35% for Jigglypuff. Past these percentages it's better to use the up-throw. It does twice the damage as down, and sends them straight up, making it safe and easy to draw out the bow for a shot.
To test to see if you're doing this right, go to training mode and turn the help info on. You know you're doing it when the consecutive hits counter reaches 7 or 8.

Ronin71

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the d throw up air combo. Between rhyfelwyr and underdog my pit has improved immensely, thanks also to those that contribute but i didnt mention. now, i lose 98 percent of time to my friends olimar he grabs and up airs me to death... what do i do??

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Some1 was hacking into my replies and modified them, Im not pleased! At this rate I might be banned and I will find out who it is if that's the last thing I do!

Back to Topic, I think Olimar should be discussed next, since he does have some range if Im not using arrows, and the Pikmin are stronger than I thought.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
FFAD(or just AD) onto the ground > u-tilt is good =] nice variation from aerial attack approaches.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Thanks for the d throw up air combo. Between rhyfelwyr and underdog my pit has improved immensely, thanks also to those that contribute but i didnt mention. now, i lose 98 percent of time to my friends olimar he grabs and up airs me to death... what do i do??
I'm pleased we've been able to help out your game! I've yet to face a good Olimar, but from what I know all of his attacks, and even the grab can be stopped by attacks. In this match up you have to be really aggressive, constantly throw out quick attacks to stop and kill his Pikmin.

Some1 was hacking into my replies and modified them, Im not pleased! At this rate I might be banned and I will find out who it is if that's the last thing I do!

Back to Topic, I think Olimar should be discussed next, since he does have some range if Im not using arrows, and the Pikmin are stronger than I thought.
Happy April Fools!

FFAD(or just AD) onto the ground > u-tilt is good =] nice variation from aerial attack approaches.
What is FFAD? I'm assuming the FF=Fast Fall, but what does the AD stand for?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Lol April Fools, shoulda known.

Anyways, There is something about Olimar that makes me angry... besides the range that his melee attacks have. And the Lv9 Olimar grabs too much. From the experience that I got from facing Comps, I know I'm going to have a hard time against an Olimar. Suggestions?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
This update includes changing the Close section to include the A infinite, and adding the Wing techs' applications to Edgeguarding.

EDIT: And there are some new uses for the Angel Ring mentioned in Spaced and Below.

I'm going to quote Overswarm who was asked about FFAD uses.

Lol April Fools, shoulda known.

Anyways, There is something about Olimar that makes me angry... besides the range that his melee attacks have. And the Lv9 Olimar grabs too much. From the experience that I got from facing Comps, I know I'm going to have a hard time against an Olimar. Suggestions?
I'll have to do some studying, but something I've heard Olimar players complain about was Pit's side-B's ability to go through their Pikmin.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I rarely use Side-B in my battles. The only time i really use it is if Im trying to reflect Pika's thunder. It just leaves me vulnerable the reason why i dont use it much. I will do this against a projectile spammer though (Snake and his Grenades dont count).

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
well for the AD approach i'm not just talking about straight up jumping at them with it. the way i've been using it is to punish people who shield aerials on reaction too much. the AD isn't really necessary but it makes it safer incase they shield grab or attack right away. so i just jump at them like i'd aerial. ff(ad) -> grab and other mix ups are... fall behind them(so you don't get grabbed) with a delayed f-air into jab to keep pressure on them or ff(ad) -> utilt...

just wanted to tell you my reason behind it. you can disagree and ignore this if you want now :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Now that I think of it, Ness and Lucas, they are the ones that cause even more problems. Ness' bat (or lucas' stick) can reflect my arrows when they swing it, that Psi magnet keeps me from using arrows, thus forcing me to close-combat. Even though Im good in close range, I just dont feel that good when I cant use my arrows against those 2. Like most of them, they often grab me.
Why do they always have to grab me anyways?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
K ill get some stuff up (talk with my friends who main them and from what ive seen )about the IC and poke tranier when i have time ill get it to you on tuesday i think

Hey_its_YO

Smash Lord
MRK head quarters my house SilverSpring MD
when i play against lucas its easy cuz all you have to do is avoid geting smash attkd at high %
in the begining start with jab combos until around 20% when u can d-Throw U-air without him being able to use his Neutral Air.
at higher percents(around 90-100) you have to avoid U-smash and bat because a lucas will use those alot trying to end your stock
try to anticipate grabs because if he misses its very punishable
Hope this helps

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I rarely use Side-B in my battles. The only time i really use it is if Im trying to reflect Pika's thunder. It just leaves me vulnerable the reason why i dont use it much. I will do this against a projectile spammer though (Snake and his Grenades dont count).
There are ways to use the side-B with out being vulnerable. Using it against someone near the ledge is a great tactic.

well for the AD approach i'm not just talking about straight up jumping at them with it. the way i've been using it is to punish people who shield aerials on reaction too much. the AD isn't really necessary but it makes it safer incase they shield grab or attack right away. so i just jump at them like i'd aerial. ff(ad) -> grab and other mix ups are... fall behind them(so you don't get grabbed) with a delayed f-air into jab to keep pressure on them or ff(ad) -> utilt...

just wanted to tell you my reason behind it. you can disagree and ignore this if you want now :D
Now that I think about it more, this is very similar to the empty short hop that was used to some success in Melee. And ESH was where you would short hop and not do anything, and then grab when you land. Most tournament players had instant reactions to seeing short hops by shielding. The problem is that if they catch on, they'll start doing smash attacks or retreating aerials instead.

K ill get some stuff up (talk with my friends who main them and from what ive seen )about the IC and poke tranier when i have time ill get it to you on tuesday i think
Any help is much appreciated.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it more, this is very similar to the empty short hop that was used to some success in Melee. And ESH was where you would short hop and not do anything, and then grab when you land. Most tournament players had instant reactions to seeing short hops by shielding. The problem is that if they catch on, they'll start doing smash attacks or retreating aerials instead.
yup. i tend to do it at most 2-3 times in a row max just to get it in their heads that the oos punish isn't going to work all the time but that's if i see the shield come up while i'm approaching them. =]

therationalpi

Smash Rookie
As I'm sure you know, it is very possible on a lot of stages to go UNDER the stage. Usually this is just a cheap parlor trick, but it can be useful against certain kinds of tactics as a recovery method. Pikachu's lightning spam on the edge can make it hard to approach. If you have enough momentum, though, you can glide under the stage and to the other side for safety before Pikachu can get across.

More than anything else, though, setting it up as a tactic that you use is a good mind-game. The opponent now has to decide if you are going to:
A) Shoot arrows to cover your recovery.
B) Glide in and attack (Glide attack or glide-cancelled Nair, for example.)
C) Glide under the stage and recover on the other side.

For a slow character, the last one means that if they want to cover the other side, they can't stand right by the edge or ledge guard. However, I should point out that gliding under the stage should only be used if you have enough speed coming in, like from a high and long-distance recovery. Otherwise, the other player has plenty of time to see what you're doing, run across and punish/ledgegaurd you. Using Up-B for this recovery is also bad, it's simply too slow for mot practical purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom