• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Pit Strategy Guide Final Version (Almost completly redone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
PIT BASIC STRATEGY GUIDE

Intro

Purpose of This Guide
Smash Bros. is a complex fighting game, if not the most. There are many attacks and techniques at one’s disposal, and it can be hard to know what to do when. This guide is meant to be an insight into most general situations, and tell you what moves are most appropriate. Reading about this in theory can sound easy, but the key is to be able to think about this without hesitation in the heat of battle.

How this guide will work is I'll name a position, list the viable moves, and go on to describe the strategies.

This is not a guide to mindgames. Mindgames are something you learn by experience and changes with every person you face.

Positions

Close

- Jab
- Shield
- Grab
- Short Hop N-air

A common mistake for players is to try spotdodging. Never spotdodge in this position! There is little to no advantage gained from it. If they jab, shield, or sometimes even when they grab, they will still be able to catch you when the dodge is over.

The jab infinite will be your number one choice in this situation. It ties other jabs, and beats grabs, shields, and dodges. The only reason you shouldn't do this is if the opponent's character has a dragon punch (fast move with start-up invincibility, like Marth's up-B). But dragon punches tend to leave them open if you shield it.

If you're shielding against a jab, you may need to risk a grab or roll and hope you get the timing right. Don't wait for them to push you away, as most of the time your shield will shrink too much before then.

If they're behind you, or you're shielding an attack and can't quite reach with a grab, your safest bet may be to jump cancel your shield and retreat with an N-air.

Spaced

- F-smash
- D-smash
- F-tilt
- D-tilt
- Angel Ring
- Short Hop Aerial
- Roll/dodge
- Dash Shield/Grab/Attack

As you can tell from the list, this position is the most complicated and trickiest. They're out of range for your melee attacks, but they're too close to try an arrow.

The F-tilt has best range of any of your normal attacks, and it pushes blockers away enough to prevent them from countering. But this moves is also the slowest of Pit's attacks. It's a good move to throw out when they're out of range to see if they'll go into it.

D-tilt causes your character to crouch, which can avoid some things, and the attack hits low enough for shield stabs. This attack comes out quicker then the F-tilt, making this useful for when they are closer. It also sets up for juggles.

The D-smash is your fastest ranged attack, and also leaves you the most open. It's a good move for taking advantage of openings. Use this when they roll toward you as the second hit is perfectly timed to hit them when they're finished.

The Angel Ring is a wonderful move that acts like a ranged jab. It beats grabs, plus shields and dodges so long as you keep pressing the B button. Despite the size of the ring, the move actually has a very small hitbox and terrible priority, so if the opponent anticipates they can smash attack right through you. It's also vulnerable if they roll past you.

Pit's F-smash is decent in range, speed, and power. It functions well against short-hop approaches.

A short hop F-air can be safe against shields if you DI backwards while striking with the tip. Depending on the enemy's out of shield options, a cross-up done by jumping behind them and attacking, can be very safe.

Whether you shield, dodge, or roll will depend on what attacks you expect from you adversary. Sudden dash grabs are risky, but well rewarded against a shielding opponent.

The dash attack is generally useless, and you should always opt out to jump out of a dash if you mean to attack.

Far

- Arrows
- Close-in

You're Pit, shoot your arrows until you run out. You're at an advantage with your projectiles, there’s no reason for you to try getting closer. Be careful when they approach, and know your range for safely firing. Don't be predictable with your firing. Try charging shots to fake them out. If you need to close in for a kill, do it after you create an opportunity with your arrows.

Juggling

- Aerial
- Arrow
- U-tilt
- U-smash
- Shield
- Angel Ring

Most aerials if you shield them, will cause the attacker enough landing lag for you to counter them.

If they're high enough in the air, you get a free chance to fire an arrow. If they try to air dodge the arrow, you may get your opportunity to attack them afterwards.

Choosing between doing an aerial or an U-tilt/U-smash mostly has to do with timing, and when you think they'll try to airdodge. Try to fake them out with empty jumps and dashes.

The U-tilt has surprising priority, and is fast enough to not leave you vulnerable if you miss, which is likely to happen because of it's narrow reach. Doing a foxtrot into a sliding U-smash can cover a lot of ground, but it can leave you vulnerable.

A favorite tactic of mine is to catch where they land with the Angel Ring. Think about it. Any attacks they do are canceled when they land, and if they try to shield, or roll/dodge, you'll still get them.

Landing

- Airdodge
- Aerial
- Angel Ring

This is a dangerous position to be in. Don't fastfall right away, but save it to trick up the timing of the opponent. Also don't spam your airdodge.

Only try to use an aerial if they jump up to you. If you want to attack them while they're on the ground, use the Angel Ring as it will be able to defeat their shield.

Edgeguarding

- Arrow
- Aerial
- Mirror Shield
- Wings of Icarus

First off if they are far away, try firing an arrow. If your lucky you'll take away their double jump.

Your main goal is to try to meet them with an F-air. Use N-air if they suddenly get close. You have to be careful, and make sure that when you meet them you still have at least one midair jump left. You don't want to use your Up-B to escape and potentially get attacked.

When they are in range to make the ledge with their up-B, it's generally useless to try stopping them with out getting caught in their attack.

Advanced
By using Wing Renewal and Wing Pivoting in tandem, you can fly far out and attack accurately with the B-air, and still have all your jumps for coming back.
Refer to UndrDog's thread in the link section

It can be worthwhile to intercept a striking Up-B with the Mirror Shield to turn them around. The timing is tight though, and requires practice.

Ledge Guarding

When you're waiting for them to get up, be prepared to use U-air if they jump, or D-smash if they roll. If they try getting up normally or use their ledge attack try shield grabbing.

Against a ledge hop attack, (letting go of the ledge, attacking and grabbing again) you can block them with the shield, then drop it and use the D-tilt for a meteor smash. Remember that your feet have to be touching them for the meteor to work.

Recovery
Pit is well know for his ability to recover from insane distances, but he also has options. Use your extra midair jumps to fire arrows at your opponent to discourage him from edgeguarding. If he jumps off after you, be ready to use the mirror shield to block his charge, also use the shield if he uses projectiles off the edge.

A footstool jump is an option you shouldn't forget about when they come for you. Sure you don't need the extra height, but it gets you clear out of their attack range, and can possibly KO them.

When knocked far away, you should always glide first. Don't use all your mid air jumps before attempting to glide. Otherwise you won't be able to use your Up-B after canceling. Stop your glide to attack, or if you think you'll run into something.

When you're higher then the ledge you don't want to use Up-B. You can be easily gimped up high, instead drop and aim for the ledge.

On some stages Pit can use his recovery to reach the opposite side's ledge. Opponents can see you do this and run to the other side in time. Only use this tactic when your enemy is grabbing the ledge and being aggressive.

Ledge Grab
Besides the normal options, Pit has some interesting options he can do when letting go of the stage. By pushing the stick away from the stage and jumping right after, you can draw your bow and then turn around and shoot. Useful for annoying, but they can jump after you.

It's possible to hit someone standing on the ledge with a F-air by pushing down on the stick and jumping immediately. A useful tactic if they don't D-tilt spam. You can do the same technique for doing an F-air with the Side-B, and land on the stage. This is great if they're shielding. Keep mashing the B button to break through their guard.

Miscellaneous

Getting Knockouts
First some data. These are his most reliable KO moves' percentages.

100% - Sweetspot B-air
130% - F-smash, D-smash, Glide attack
150% - F-tilt, F-air, U-smash

The B-air is quite powerful, but you shouldn't start spamming it to hope for a quick KO. Short hopping a B-air goes over a lot of character's heads. Your best hope for landing it is when they're airborne.

Once your opponent reaches 150%, you should stop using weak attacks like side-B and AAA. It's not worth racking up more damage, and giving your opponent more time to hurt you when you can KO him.

Using Throws
The forward and back throws are only good for getting them off the edge or into a hazard. It's almost possible to chain throw these at low percentages (0-40%), but experts can spotdodge in time. In which case you could trick them by doing side-B instead.

A down-throw to a full jump U-air is a guaranteed combo at certain percents. Against Bowser it works up to 70%, and works up to 35% for Jigglypuff. Past these percentages it's better to use the up-throw. It does twice the damage as down, and sends them straight up, making it safe and easy to draw out the bow for a shot.

Links
Glossary of terms and abbreviations.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749
Additional terms are edgehugging (running off the edge and pushing the stick backward to grab), and instant dash attack (done by smashing the control stick forward, and tapping the c-stick down a split second later).

Brawl's new adv. techniques.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164597

The Pit Compendium
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163980

Interesting features of some of Pit's attacks
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4109423#post4109423

UndrWorld - Pit Demonstration Videos
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155928
Descriptions of Pit's unique techs and names are also found here.

Credits
Thanks to...
Admiral Bowser for Pika help and encouragement
Arigon convincing me to take out parts
erickdredd reminding me of glide attack's KO potential
GamerGuitarist7 making a great arrow FAQ, and for his "Things that should be well known" thread
jaycee00 for the tip about using the F-smash backwards
UndrDog for creating a technique video, and for his Wolf tips.
Zeela12 for writing about the history of Pit

Thank you Nintendo for creating Kid Icarus and Smash Bros

Thanks to the creators and moderators of SWF

And thanks to everyone who's given me encouraging posts!

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
*Reserved Space*

Tell me your thoughts, and anything you'd like to be added. The style of the guide is quite different, I hope it works out.

I won't be going into move specifics, seeing as how there are already guides for those.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Looks good so far. The part I need the most help with is actually getting the KO's. A list of moves with good horizontal knockback and spikes (if any aside from the footstool) would be great. Any sweet-spot advantaged moves need to be known as well. So far, the only way I've found to consistently kill opponents with decent recovery is to knock them off the stage, then pester them with aerials by abusing Pit's ridiculous recovery ability. While it works consistently, getting them into the right position (at ledge level or below) for doing this can be a pain, and as always, flying out to the edge of the screen to complete a KO is tricky.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was planning on making a section about changing strategy based on enemy percentage. I'll tell you now that the only KO moves for Pit are F-smash, F-tilt, F-air, B-air, and D-smash. Everything else is too weak, or sends them upward. You shouldn't focus on KOing until they're above 150%.

If people don't like how I give what attacks to use in a given situation, as opposed to what situations to use a given attack (like a tradition FAQ). I'm willing to change it.

Leggo

Smash Cadet
i'm not the best smash player but i've been playing pit lots, and i understand what your saying about the short hop attacking like marth. but i've noticed it to be quite useful when using it properly. Shorthops with neutral airs but not committing till an opening..i like to do that when guys get near me and like to short hop alot...maybe i dont know what i'm talking about hahahahha, but it just seems to work well for me

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You don't have to be the best to see when things work or not. I'm certainly not claiming to be better then most people.

Shorthoping can be good for defensive purposes (Example being a backward hop with F/N-Air). But using this against an opponent that isn't vulnerable is pointless when the tilts are safer and more powerful. I'll make this clearer in the guide.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
I like this guide so far. In addition to the pictures, you could link to a video of the move for each one, to better illustrate timing, spacing, and so forth.

LittleKey

Smash Cadet
Very good start. Pit seems to be weaker than a lot of other characters, but also one of the most versatile. Of course, I might be totally wrong, I don't know very much =P.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
this is a great guide. thanx for putting one up. some of these techniques are really good cause i used them before reading this. i was like wow awesome. thanx.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Thanks everyone for the comments. It's a great encouragement!

I like this guide so far. In addition to the pictures, you could link to a video of the move for each one, to better illustrate timing, spacing, and so forth.
A video illustrating all of the guides techs and strategies would be ideal, but I don't have the equipment to make one. I'll point out good matches when I make the links section.

So that people know, I talk about a great use for the Side-B in the ledge grab technique for Water.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
My Golden Pit will be most grateful to you and your guide. He and I thank you for this guide. Keep up the good work.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
i appreciate the time you put into this guide but i honestly think some of it is stuff that isnt pit specific and not really required for this guide. Also i think that some of your strats could use some work. BUT, it is your guide and you put alot of work into it so nice job. I could never make a guide like that.

P.S-loved the name of each part of your guide.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It may be my guide, but I want it to be the best possible. I'm open to any input.

I see what you mean about some things not being Pit specific, but there are newbies and I don't see these things mentioned else where. Think of it like the terms and glossery section about advance techniques you see in every Melee FAQ. If the guide gets too big I might take stuff out.

What strategies don't you like specifically?

I'm glad you like the names. I wonder if anyone knows who Musashi is when I mention him.

sway15

Smash Rookie
First off, great guide. It has some really good information. Also I would totally second using arrows after a smash sending them away as it has been working great for me to get that extra damage in.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Knockouts has been added. I see questions related to that asked around the boards often. Now that Fire Part 2 is finished, I'll be taking a break from the guide to play the game, and do research for Wind.

Thanks Sway and Admiral Bowser for the compliments. They're always nice to hear. :)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm loving it more, and my Golden Pit does too. The bright light from this guide has touched our hearts and we thank each and every update which brings us knowledge.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'm loving it more, and my Golden Pit does too. The bright light from this guide has touched our hearts and we thank each and every update which brings us knowledge.
Do you think you might be going overboard with the flattery just a little? :blush:

If they're behind you at that distance, you'd be better off forward smashing in the opposite direction.
I've played around with it, and I think you're right. I originally thought the B-air would be a quick powerful counter, but it goes over most characters heads unless you fall first. Thanks for the advice.

erickdredd

Smash Rookie
Great guide thusfar, though I am noticing one omission in the knockout moves section... Glide Attack is not to be overlooked, I'm KOing in the 120 to 140% range with it quite consistently.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Wait one question what exactly is the sweet-spot for his B-air?
It's like Captain Falcon's knee. You have to hit with center of the blade at the start of the attack. The sweetspot does 15% and sends them horizontal. Non-sweespot only does 7% with minimal knockback.

Great guide thusfar, though I am noticing one omission in the knockout moves section... Glide Attack is not to be overlooked, I'm KOing in the 120 to 140% range with it quite consistently.
I forgot about that, thanks. I'll add it right now.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Normally i dont express graditude this big. I'm doing it because it's helping me against my "Nemesis" rivals, which are Marth, Ike, the 3 Space animals, Ness, Lucas, Pikachu, Lucario, and Luigi.

Yes i know, i have too many Nemesis Rivals, but those are the ones who give me problems. In other words I hate them.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It's good to hear that my guide is working. I hope I'll be able to help you further as I delve into Wind.

Speaking of which, Wind is going to be a huge undertaking. I'd appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with facing other characters with Pit. Please give examples of what to watch out for, and what works. All help that I've received thus far, and will gain in the future will be mentioned in the credits.

I decided to follow what Arigon said, and took out several sections in Water that weren't necessary. I also used the opportunity to rearrange some things into better places.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
great guide. Its nice to see a solid guide up so early after the games release. Looking forward to every update :).

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
great guide. Its nice to see a solid guide up so early after the games release. Looking forward to every update :).
My wish is that I can continue to give updates worth looking forward to. Thank you.

book of water, of earth, of fire, lol do you think you are in avatar
I should have seen this one coming. >_>

Because this is a strategy guide, and not a FAQ, I thought it would be appropriate to base my design on the setup of a real life book of strategy. I choose a book from Medieval Japan, by Miyamoto Musashi. Musashi is considered without doubt to have been the greatest swordsman in Japan's history. In his book he named the chapters based on elements in his belief of Buddhism.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
nice improvements i like the pics. Mods sticky this guide its worth it. Sorry i cant really point out exactly what i dont like, just little things. Ill get on and see if i cant add to what you have. Dtilt to Fair is so far my favorite combo but i just noticed you have that on your guide already. In adition to that combo you can dtilt to shorthop dair and repeat. Or just the shorthop dair is cool his dair is powerful. Nice job keep it up =D.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Excellent guide ^^ really helpful.
Thanks!

nice improvements i like the pics. Mods sticky this guide its worth it. Sorry i cant really point out exactly what i dont like, just little things. Ill get on and see if i cant add to what you have. Dtilt to Fair is so far my favorite combo but i just noticed you have that on your guide already. In adition to that combo you can dtilt to shorthop dair and repeat. Or just the shorthop dair is cool his dair is powerful. Nice job keep it up =D.
Please post if you remember what you think needs changing. And thank you for the sticky recommendation!

The only significant changes I made to the guide this time are about short hopping, and spacing. I was too harsh on short hopping, and I've since found good uses for approaching with it. If you were having trouble with spacing even after reading the section on it ("Spaced'), try looking at it now. I have new thoughts on the situation.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The kill percentages were useful. I look forward to the next update and the knowledge it provides. Thanks again.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You're welcome again.

I don't know if anyone has been having trouble with her, but my first character in Wind is Zelda. Again, I'm taking suggestions for who I should do next.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I'd say go with the characters that look like they are going to be top tier first. On that respect I'd like to see Marth, wolf, toon link and pit. Obviously theres no tier list out yet but the characters that look like they are going to be most dominate would be nice to see how you suggest fighting first. Feel free to pm/aim me if you want another point of view I have some experience with guide writing so hopefully I can be of some help.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Zelda hasnt been much of a problem to me, but that's because I rarely fight her. Still, the information is good. I do want to see a way to counter Marth and Kirby though. Again, I appreciate what you're doing to help. Thanks.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I added to the guide about Marth. While I was studying him, I was having trouble countering the f-smash. Later I saw this.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154515

I played around with the technique described in the thread, and found this use.

Often times when shielding a powerful attack such as a F-smash, you get pushed back too far to strike back in time before they can defend again. Not so if you use the instant dash attack after dropping the shield. This is done by tapping the control stick forward, and pushing the c-stick down a split second later. This is incredibly useful against Marth's F-smash.

EDIT: I just want to say that I wasn't planning on going through all the characters on my own. I was hoping the whole Pit community could pitch in and offer any tips and tactics they've found to work.

Dr.Steve

Smash Rookie
yeah i have problem against the 3 space animals as well and marth for that matter too, can't seem to close in on them and rack up damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom