• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Unfortunately Nintendo is a very protective and strict company. They've been taking down all forms of fan made content regardless of what they are, it sucks for the fans and it harms creativity within the fanbase. Next thing you know Nintendo might pull off pfp take downs on twitter like what Shueisha did.
The whole thing with Shueisha was proven to be a fraud. Someone was impersonating Shueisha and targeting bigger accounts and causing panic in the One Piece community.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey everyone, long time no see! I just dropped by to say that while I do think Waluigi may not happen for Ultimate, I did what I thought I wouldn't be able to do and I got to making a Waluigi Challenger Pack that you all can see by clicking here. This was very difficult to make all things considered, and I put a lot of work in to this, so I really hope you all enjoy it!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
want to see the Twitter explosion that would follow his inclusion.
THIS is one reason i want Waluigi in Smash outside of my personal attachment to the character. If there's one thing about Current Smash roster situation i hate the most, is the false and pretentious narrative of "fiRSST PArtY ChARACTeERS AreEN'T hYpE!" bull.

Waluigi would prove otherwise. He's not a pop culture icon like Steve, he's not an iconic Villain like Sephiroth, and he didn't set any genre-defining like Terry and Hero, but he would get.people.talking. he would make headlines in the news articles, he would make reactions up the wazoo, he would make his face permanently fixated on the internet for months. Im not joking when i say that i firmly believe the reaction and impact Waluigi's reveal in Smash would rival Joker, Banjo, Terry, the Belmonts, Sephiroth, Hero, and whatever third party comes next (i already believe his reaction will surpass Terry and the Belmonts and Hero internationally, i mean the Belmonts were overshadowed by K.Rool, Terry was overshadowed by a Mii Costume of all things, and Hero was overshadowed internationally by Banjo, who basically is a Nintendo character under someone else's leadership)

I don't like how Waluigi is seen as a "meme pick", but the ONE benefit about this means that if Waluigi makes it in, his memedom would give him one of THE biggest spotlights any character could recieve in Smash, and if that helps destroy the narrative of First Parties being "not hype", then so be it.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
THIS is one reason i want Waluigi in Smash outside of my personal attachment to the character. If there's one thing about Current Smash roster situation i hate the most, is the false and pretentious narrative of "fiRSST PArtY ChARACTeERS AreEN'T hYpE!" bull.

Waluigi would prove otherwise. He's not a pop culture icon like Steve, he's not an iconic Villain like Sephiroth, and he didn't set any genre-defining like Terry and Hero, but he would get.people.talking. he would make headlines in the news articles, he would make reactions up the wazoo, he would make his face permanently fixated on the internet for months. Im not joking when i say that i firmly believe the reaction and impact Waluigi's reveal in Smash would rival Joker, Banjo, Terry, the Belmonts, Sephiroth, Hero, and whatever third party comes next (i already believe his reaction will surpass Terry and the Belmonts and Hero internationally, i mean the Belmonts were overshadowed by K.Rool, Terry was overshadowed by a Mii Costume of all things, and Hero was overshadowed internationally by Banjo, who basically is a Nintendo character under someone else's leadership)

I don't like how Waluigi is seen as a "meme pick", but the ONE benefit about this means that if Waluigi makes it in, his memedom would give him one of THE biggest spotlights any character could recieve in Smash, and if that helps destroy the narrative of First Parties being "not hype", then so be it.
Yeah I wanna see the reactions to his inclusion too! Both good and bad. I know plenty of people will be hyped (and the Wahrriors discord server might blow up), but I know there will be plenty of salt too.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

I don’t give a monkeys about what’s “hype” or not, I just want good characters from good games with good movesets (keep in mind, my most wanted is a 1st party who hasn’t been in a game since 1996, which was also the game he debuted in, and said game is barely known even to die hard Nintendo fans) - that being said... holy hell, Waluigi in Smash would be HUGE. ENORMOUS. The reaction could possibly be bigger than Steve. It’d be amazing to see.

Also, I dunno where the “1st parties aren’t hype” narrative came from considering how King K. Rool was such a big deal, even among people unfamiliar with the character.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, I dunno where the “1st parties aren’t hype” narrative came from considering how King K. Rool was such a big deal, even among people unfamiliar with the character
After the DQ Heroes got in instead of Geno (who's a third party but still), the fandom started hoping we'd get more and more cases where absolutely unrepresented franchises that are bigger than what Nintendo has to offer got in. Or if the unrepresented franchise isn't bigger than Nintendo's, they can make enough excuses to make it seem like the character is Steve-tier.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I don’t give a monkeys about what’s “hype” or not, I just want good characters from good games with good movesets (keep in mind, my most wanted is a 1st party who hasn’t been in a game since 1996, which was also the game he debuted in, and said game is barely known even to die hard Nintendo fans) - that being said... holy hell, Waluigi in Smash would be HUGE. ENORMOUS. The reaction could possibly be bigger than Steve. It’d be amazing to see.

Also, I dunno where the “1st parties aren’t hype” narrative came from considering how King K. Rool was such a big deal, even among people unfamiliar with the character.
The narrative comes from how Fighter Pass 1, which was mostly Third Party except for Byleth who is seen as the most underwhelming choice from the line up. A character from a very recent game (giving them "shill" vibes like Corrin, although at least this time the game came out worldwide before they got in Smash) and came from a franchise that has gotten a LOT of content in Smash Already while others haven't even gotten an Assist Trophy or Spirit (7 characters, 3 stages, 3 Assist Trophies, and a **** ton of Spirits and 41 songs) so while i don't wanna turn this into a FE mud throwing rant, to pretend Smash hasn't been generous with FE is just naive in my opinion. The only first party more underhwelming i can think in the eyes of the masses is a Gen 8 Pokémon. (doesn't help SW/SH are controversial, while 3 Houses is at least well regarded by the FE fanbase as a great game) It's telling that Sakurai confirmed More DLC on the way before Byelth was confirmed.

Plus the fact that Byelth came from a recent Switch game reinforced the narrative that the only First Parties that stand a chance are "Shill" ones, and Min Min didn't really help matters, the only thing that helped was that she was a Spirit in the base game, meaning that Spirits could easily be "promoted".

Honestly, if FP1 wasn't filled with Third Parties, and snuck a Spirit promotion like say, Bandanna Dee in that Pass, the "First Parties aren't hype" narrative wouldn't exists, or at least wouldn't be as strong, being used an opinion instead of an argument to gatekeep any First Party that doesn't come from the newest hottest Swich game.

Im not even sure we are gonna get more Nintendo characters, i want to be proven wrong but after what has happened with Smash 4 DLC and FP1 and 2 so far, i don't see the likes of Nintendo characters such as Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, etc to be likely.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Waluigi has now appeared in 2 spirit events, granted he only headlined one of them.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Battle_of_the_Bristles Waluigi is one of the spirits in the list.

Not sure what to think about this, part of me wants to believe that the reason he didn't headline the 2nd one was because he's playable and since it didn't have as many spirits as the 1st they didn't want him to headline it. Part of me also believes that because he has showed up in 2 spirit events he WON'T be playable, because maybe they wouldn't want to give you opportunities to earn a spirit for a playable character, maybe they would who knows?

I'm probably overanalyzing this though, Waluigi was kind of mandatory for both of these events, I do think it's weird that he somehow doesn't show up on the poster for this one and a bunch of obscure characters do. Waluigi would definitely require more work because of the fact that he's a spirit, costume and trophy. A lot of readjustments would need to be made, I hope they will listen to the fan requests and make him playable though.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I hope they reveal him before the Mario anniversary is over. Otherwise I’ll be worried. I know it usually doesn’t matter, but it just seems like the perfect time to reveal him. End off the anniversary with a reveal for the most requested Mario character in smash. It’s too perfect!

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I hope they reveal him before the Mario anniversary is over. Otherwise I’ll be worried. I know it usually doesn’t matter, but it just seems like the perfect time to reveal him. End off the anniversary with a reveal for the most requested Mario character in smash. It’s too perfect!
A perfect as it would be, so was Waluigi's 20th anniversary last year, which, as we know, he pretty much got nothing.

Nintendo has a habit of dropping the ball when it comes to taking advantage of perfect timing or lining things up. plus an ongoing pandemic probably doesn't help with them trying to time stuff

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A perfect as it would be, so was Waluigi's 20th anniversary last year, which, as we know, he pretty much got nothing.

Nintendo has a habit of dropping the ball when it comes to taking advantage of perfect timing or lining things up. plus an ongoing pandemic probably doesn't help with them trying to time stuff
The last time Nintendo did a major anniversary thing (before this recent Mario 35th) was the Year of Luigi and... uhh...

So yeah, that’s why they never did a year of Peach or Wario or Daisy or Orbulon or whatever, same with the anniversaries of Zelda, Metroid, e.t.c.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The last time Nintendo did a major anniversary thing (before this recent Mario 35th) was the Year of Luigi and... uhh...

So yeah, that’s why they never did a year of Peach or Wario or Daisy or Orbulon or whatever, same with the anniversaries of Zelda, Metroid, e.t.c.
To be fair that was the Wii U era, and we all know how it turned out.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman

I looked up the article and I think its satire (I hope). Basically it talks about the Wii U's poor sales and says "Well its the Year of Luigi so its Luigi's fault for Nintendo failing. **** him lol". I still wish Nintendo did more of these "Year of" anniversary things, especially for the older franchises / characters that don't get as much love nowadays.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Well it didn’t stop them from celebrating Mario’s 35th anniversary. They did tweet a Waluigi gif at the Pokemon twitter and that was in July, the month of Waluigi’s birthday. I wanna stay optimistic and hope they could be saving him for the Mario anniversary, since it’s about general Mario related stuff and Waluigi (being a Mario character) in smash is Mario related.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I feel Waluigi would’ve been in base SSBU had Nintendo clarified clearly that the Smash Ballot was for a future instalment
Definitely. He lost a ton of votes for that exact reason due to 1) first party DLC not being as “hype” as 3rd party. 2) people thought voting for an assist trophy for DLC was a waste of a vote because they thought he couldn’t win anyways.

even amidst those 2 factors he still did reasonably well, and probably should have been more heavily considered for base roster (assist trophy for the 3rd time amidst fan demand... really Nintendo?) or at least have been the bonus character instead of Plant.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It isn't bad to want a character to get in to have the naysayers be proven wrong. God knows I do that for an echoless Shadow moveset.
It's wrong when you are mean to someone for them saying something deconfirms when you disagree. They're just taking an alternate stance on something, not trying to shut your hopes down.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I had a weird dream last night were Waluigi was announced for Smash. The video starts off with Luigi playing a pinball machine, Mario and Wario are watching him play. Luigi scores a point and Mario cheers him on. The pinball machine had a LED screen that would show the users score, now showing a 1. Just as Luigi goes back to playing, a racket suddenly hits the machine, causing it to glitch out. The one turns into a gamma (Waluigi's symbol Γ ).

Waluigi suddenly shows up with another racket in his hand, telling Mario and Luigi to back off as his splash screen showed up. He pulls out a bob-omb and knocks it toward the machine, blowing it up and sending Mario, Luigi, and Wario flying into the sky. It cuts to gameplay and this is were it really gets weird. Waluigi's moveset had nothing to do with golfing, go-karting, or tennis. It was fully-inspired by pinball. The stage was Waluigi Pinball, one of his moves was a counter were he would hit his opponent with a pinball bumper, and his final smash involved summoning giant pinballs that would run the opponent into the ground (similar to Yoshi's final smash) and end with Waluigi slamming a Giga Bob-omb onto his opponent.

PunkApe

Coolest Monkey in the Jungle
Definitely. He lost a ton of votes for that exact reason due to 1) first party DLC not being as “hype” as 3rd party. 2) people thought voting for an assist trophy for DLC was a waste of a vote because they thought he couldn’t win anyways.

even amidst those 2 factors he still did reasonably well, and probably should have been more heavily considered for base roster (assist trophy for the 3rd time amidst fan demand... really Nintendo?) or at least have been the bonus character instead of Plant.
Don't wanna be that guy but where's the proof that he did well in the Ballot?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Support all the way. Even if I'm not holding my breath on Waluigi's inclusion in Ultimate, I still think he's a really fun character who could bring a lot to the table.
If Waluigi gets promoted to playable in Smash 6 or in Super Smash Bros. From the Future, I can imagine people posting depictions/fanarts of Waluigi battling Goku (Dragon Ball) given that the two characters are highly requested to be playable. However, one merits to be playable, and the other merits to be excluded due to not being of Videogame origin.

Last edited:

PunkApe

I think that if Waluigi were to be included in Smash, no time would be more perfect than now. He's got more support than ever and I think even Nintendo know he's a popular request, as shown by the multiple articles about his inclusion, or lack there of, in Smash

but if not, it was a good run and see you in 5 years lolol

PunkApe

I had a weird dream last night were Waluigi was announced for Smash. The video starts off with Luigi playing a pinball machine, Mario and Wario are watching him play. Luigi scores a point and Mario cheers him on. The pinball machine had a LED screen that would show the users score, now showing a 1. Just as Luigi goes back to playing, a racket suddenly hits the machine, causing it to glitch out. The one turns into a gamma (Waluigi's symbol Γ ).

Waluigi suddenly shows up with another racket in his hand, telling Mario and Luigi to back off as his splash screen showed up. He pulls out a bob-omb and knocks it toward the machine, blowing it up and sending Mario, Luigi, and Wario flying into the sky. It cuts to gameplay and this is were it really gets weird. Waluigi's moveset had nothing to do with golfing, go-karting, or tennis. It was fully-inspired by pinball. The stage was Waluigi Pinball, one of his moves was a counter were he would hit his opponent with a pinball bumper, and his final smash involved summoning giant pinballs that would run the opponent into the ground (similar to Yoshi's final smash) and end with Waluigi slamming a Giga Bob-omb onto his opponent.
Funnily enough, there's a Rivals of Aether mod for Waluigi which does something similar. His recovery is him being propelled upwards by a pinball bumper.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Will Waluigi be revealed tomorrow or will have to wait for the next fighter? Probably the latter.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Huh, so I just checked out of curiousity and Waluigi.com (which used to be Waluigi's home page and most recently redirected to the game page for 1-2-Switch) no longer goes to anything and just infinitely loads. Don't know how new of a change this was, if it was intentional or not or if it was just this URL.

Last edited:
Top Bottom