• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
The trademark is just for sport games in general and maybe they will use Waluigi to represent them.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
He would still represent Mario as a whole, they could just add the sport series with music and stuff.
Isnt Waluigi always competing for a Mario rep? There's no problem of course. My point is the theory above isn't really necessary.

As for sport theme it is also not proven to be Waluigi a trait. From what we know about Mario history, characters with whole sport backgrounds are like Kid and Shirley.

The trademark is just for sport games in general and maybe they will use Waluigi to represent them.
Yet again I've noted it's "double layered theory"

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except for the fact nobody else actually shows up in multiple sports game that actually originated from sports. Toad isn't a sports-only character. He originated in the mainline games(as did Daisy, for that matter. Yes, Super Mario Land is a mainline game. That's Nintendo's official decision and that's how it is), not in the sports games. The only others to originate there were a few Golf characters in the Gameboy Color version who barely reappeared(and not all of them) in a few Golf games at best. There's a few others, like Fire Piranha Plant, but really, are they ever going to appear again? Are they not actually a proper Piranha Plant species at that point who came from the mainline games as is? Regular Piranha Plants don't shoot fire, a sub-species does. And that's... like the closest to the only one to originate in a Sports game in the Super Mario series. When you cover the entire set of OC's from there... none stand out much or actually appear in multiple different ones to be notable. That's what makes Waluigi stand out. He actually is notable in the series and continues to be.

Incidentally he's notable in spin-offs in general, and only Kart gets any recurring characters(like Baby Daisy) or new OC's, which are just revisions of an existing character and barely notable beyond fan complaints for not including the "cool" characters. Party is the only other series to continue to gain OC's(well, RPG's aside, but those are all platformer-related and a different kind of spin-off), who are literally one-off's anyway and sometimes don't exist. They usually had that announcer or whatever character to tell the game's latest excuse plot. They are hardly notable, and might be lucky to get a spirit reference. They're also lucky to even have a reappearance. We barely got anyone from Tennis/Golf as is from the Gameboy Color games, which is the only time general NPC's were thrown in, to be regular humans, instead of the cartoony ones like Mario would be. That was made because they were specialized RPG versions of the game with level ups, and so you didn't only play as Mario in Story Mode.

So yeah, you're going to have to really look hard into a bunch of one-off's/barely notable to the point of making Geno look like a gaming icon in terms of how notable they are(which is saying a lot, as Geno is only somewhat notable nowadays. And I love the guy, but he's pretty obscure) that isn't Waluigi, if you want someone to properly represent the Sports-related games. Mario Sports Mix, for that matter, is not just a Sports spin-off, it's basically its own literal game, but sadly has not had any sequels yet. It's kind of Mario & Sonic at the [Specific] Games in terms of what it's like. It could also be called a Mario Party game, but for Sports alone. It is not the same as Kart, Tennis, Golf, or Strikers, which are all the other Sports genre games. ...It's a weird name to give it too, since it's confusing when talking about the Genre or the actual game itself.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
So if waluigi gets in what would his spirit board be ?

I say it should be the camolot's mario golf & tennis OCs like charly or plum & the rest

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Annnnd it was a mini direct for stuff already announced.

-_-

Mood right now

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Except for the fact nobody else actually shows up in multiple sports game that actually originated from sports. Toad isn't a sports-only character. He originated in the mainline games(as did Daisy, for that matter. Yes, Super Mario Land is a mainline game. That's Nintendo's official decision and that's how it is), not in the sports games. The only others to originate there were a few Golf characters in the Gameboy Color version who barely reappeared(and not all of them) in a few Golf games at best. There's a few others, like Fire Piranha Plant, but really, are they ever going to appear again? Are they not actually a proper Piranha Plant species at that point who came from the mainline games as is? Regular Piranha Plants don't shoot fire, a sub-species does. And that's... like the closest to the only one to originate in a Sports game in the Super Mario series. When you cover the entire set of OC's from there... none stand out much or actually appear in multiple different ones to be notable. That's what makes Waluigi stand out. He actually is notable in the series and continues to be.
Just to note a contradiction, I think common people still regard him as a "main character of Mario series" when talking about Waluigi's chance for Smash. So most aren't aware of Waluigi's exclusiveness to sport titles in the first place.

Even as you say, people care about Waluigi because of his recurring status throughout the games, so they don't dig into the characters who are only talented in specific sport subjects since they don't come to Mario series to find sport talents. Or should say the whole Mario series doesn't look like wanting to cover some sport characters to begin with. The current Mario spinoffs is simply just "Mario and friends doing something else when they don't adventure", not "they're challenging some professionals". Sonic in Olympics and their own spinoffs even further prove that.

In Waluigi's debut Tennis 64, as you note, pretty much NIntendo just pretend that he was just Mario's another aquaintance like Daisy and Birdo, despite the two actually appeared in canonical games, while Waluigi didn't. Nintendo could had just set a backstory that he is a professional companion like Harry and Kate, but they didn't choose to do so for a reason.

The objective reason usually shows that Waluigi's exclusiveness to sports is just an indirect outcome from the lack of his appearances in mainstrema games, not because Waluigi was set to be a sport exclusive. We can use familiar examples: the original Fire Emblem titles were exclusive to Japan, not because Nintendo believe this series means to cater to Japanese, it's more because they didn't plan to do overseas versions back in the time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just to note a contradiction, I think common people still regard him as a "main character of Mario series" when talking about Waluigi's chance for Smash. So most aren't aware of Waluigi's exclusiveness to sport titles in the first place.

Even as you say, people care about Waluigi because of his recurring status throughout the games, so they don't dig into the characters who are only talented in specific sport subjects since they don't come to Mario series to find sport talents. Or should say the whole Mario series doesn't look like wanting to cover some sport characters to begin with. The current Mario spinoffs is simply just "Mario and friends doing something else when they don't adventure", not "they're challenging some professionals". Sonic in Olympics and their own spinoffs even further prove that.

In Waluigi's debut Tennis 64, as you note, pretty much NIntendo just pretend that he was just Mario's another aquaintance like Daisy and Birdo, despite the two actually appeared in canonical games, while Waluigi didn't. Nintendo could had just set a backstory that he is a professional companion like Harry and Kate, but they didn't choose to do so for a reason.

The objective reason usually shows that Waluigi's exclusiveness to sports is just an indirect outcome from the lack of his appearances in mainstrema games, not because Waluigi was set to be a sport exclusive. We can use familiar examples: the original Fire Emblem titles were exclusive to Japan, not because Nintendo believe this series means to cater to Japanese, it's more because they didn't plan to do overseas versions back in the time.
...Honestly? You're not making any sense to me. But I will note that Mainstream and Mainline are two different things. Mario Kart is an extremely mainstream sub-genre of Super Mario. Super Mario Land and Super Mario Run are not spin-offs, but mainline games. Paper Mario is also rather mainstream(though not as known as Mario Kart).

You're also missing why Waluigi would be chosen. It's because he's a massive request and very easy to add into the game. Besides that, Nintendo outright acknowledged the demand for him, which means they have a good incentive to choose him. They're well aware he made the paper and such. ...For bad reasons, but they still are aware of his massive demand. Just like they're aware he clearly has high demand on the Ballot(let's not pretend he lacked it). His moveset however makes perfect sense to be sports related since that's a core part of his character. There's only a tiny slew of NPC's that have that bit, but nothing else going for them(like Plum). They don't have any actual abilities and are just regular people that only exist because of the rpg versions of the game. They also rarely reappear because they don't have anything to their character beyond a few extra easy slots in a Golf/Tennis game. Waluigi reappears cause he has a ton of characterization and massively popular.

What you are also forgetting is that Sakurai himself makes movesets by often selecting a theme/design for the character. Waluigi is very easy to see as "sports-based" due to his origins and actually is important to the character. Sports is not really important to Daisy, Peach, Mario, etc. Those were tiny quick ways to add a more fun Forward Smash, instead of just being the Frying Pan(which doesn't fit for Daisy anyway, so that sticks out a lot in her moveset).

And actually, people don't know Waluigi was exclusive to sports because he never was. He originated in sports and it's a core part of his character, but he appears in a few non-sports games too(Mario Party). That has nothing to do with what makes him notable either. Do you honestly think everybody knew R.O.B. was actually a toy to help sell the Nintendo? No, some only knew him from Mario Kart DS. That's not relevant at all to how basing his movesets and design off of his sports abilities makes a lot of sense. It's able to capture his goofy and crazy animations quite well, since that's where most of them comes from. His crotch taunt? Sports. Air swimming? Sports. His Tennis Racket? Take a guess. Nintendo and Sakurai has already shown he's pretty important to the sports, and he's clearly about sports in Smash too, being a sore loser-style AT that wields a racket through and through. He could do more, but they captured both core aspects of him in the AT from the start. Nothing to go but up from there.

And for the record, he's not in the mainline games moreso due to Nintendo having a special team to sort out Mario games that don't allow certain characters outside of their genre type. This is the real reason why Daisy is in mainline games(albeit, one of them is very questionable, being Super Mario Run, but Super Mario Land is clearly regular Super Mario Bros. just with some vehicle options. ...Which isn't much different from Yoshi's Island in a way), because that's her origin. This is why Paper Mario can no longer have massively different characters based upon other species. They can only slightly change them(which they did since Paper Mario 64). You won't see a unique villain used twice. You don't even get to see a lot of characters cameo often. The biggest cameo Waluigi was allowed is a costume reference in Odyssey, which is pretty eh. On the other hand, they could put a hat on a Goomba despite this special team being able to control the content that gets in games. That's the actual reason Waluigi has never been in a mainline title. Because he was literally not created for one. While the team didn't exist immediately, they also had no real way to easily incorporate him into the Super Mario mainline games just yet. He can't even fully appear in the rpg's either(nor Wario, oddly enough. Daisy neither). And both of them debuted in a mainline Super Mario game respectively(Land 1 and 2).

The quality control team(odd name) is pretty awful for Super Mario, as it doesn't actually control quality but it simply disallows cool appearances. That's why many characters can't escape a spin-off at any point. I'm not sure when it was created, as I didn't read that part, but it's pretty coincidental that every Mario Party OC literally can't ever appear again. Mario Kart is more lucky, as it got returnees like Baby Daisy. Who again, is stuck to the spin-offs too. What a coincidence, right? Because it's not one. It sucks, but yeah, Waluigi never was going to appear in a mainline title. Mario Kart and Smash are his mainstream appearances right now. And he's a very viable AT upgrade right now for DLC. It's easy to time his reveal to also promote the latest Sports Mix game(especially as he's very important to the Sports spin-offs). As long as his moveset has a focus on sports moves, it makes sense. ...And the chance of it not being sports-related is extremely low. Sports to Waluigi is what Jumping is to Mario, to give a clear analogy.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
So after today's mini, I think I've given up hope that Waluigi is getting in, unless he's announced next year (I doubt that though).
This was golden opportunity and Nintendo blew it if they did have him ready, which leads me to believe he most likely isn't happening at all.

But eh, tis what it is I guess. :/

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
So after today's mini, I think I've given up hope that Waluigi is getting in, unless he's announced next year (I doubt that though).
This was golden opportunity and Nintendo blew it if they did have him ready, which leads me to believe he most likely isn't happening at all.

But eh, tis what it is I guess. :/
Mario's 35th anniversary is in September.
We're still in this, it's not over for Waluigi.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Sports. His Tennis Racket? Take a guess. Nintendo and Sakurai has already shown he's pretty important to the sports, and he's clearly about sports in Smash too, being a sore loser-style AT that wields a racket through and through.
I do think Nintendo making Waluigi use tennis in AT is an acknowledement to Mario's sport. But would think this is kinda farfetching to claim Waluigi should be wholy sport-themed. Lets remember Peach also uses tennis while having different non-sport moves. It seems more like a sign Waluigi would go with that route if he becomes a fighter.

On the other hand it feels subjective to say Waluigi being classified as a sport professional is a good idea. Not really all fans agree with that idea, especialy enough voices have shown that they want to see Waluigi go on an adventure with Wario and Mario outside sport games.

As for NIntendo's narrow mind for mainline game canon, it's still something they should manage to deal with within their obligation. Just like Nintendo owe Waluigi supportors a good treat, they also owe Mario mainline games a more proper deal. Just because they don't do what they should do doesn't mean we can justify a different fan theory to cater to our need.

If you ask me, I'm fine with any role Waluigi can have. Just if we really go judge the Mario sport games, it doesn't mean to give Waluigi a clear role when he is merely a participant, so that doesn't make me believe Mario sports have "completed" Waluigi in any degree. If that is the case, we would still need a new title that heavily focuses on Waluigi's sport career like how the original Mario Tennis title focuses on Alex.

Mario's 35th anniversary is in September.
We're still in this, it's not over for Waluigi.
Not saying it's overoptimistic, just would feel strange to think Waluigi's promotion must happen with Mario anniversary. I mean, Luigi's Mansion 3 clearly owe fans a favor despite it was annoucned in 33th anniversary.

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I think we're all good. Even if we don't see Waluigi in September, I've always felt like he would be the last DLC fighter. Regardless, we're in good standing right now. Just gotta give it some time and see what happens

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly all that Waluigi hype felt like a sugar rush - a huge rush of positive emotion, ending with a jarring but ultimately inconsequential return to normality. I'm still holding out hope for the rumoured delayed E3 direct, but it looks just a little less likely that it'll be Waluigi Time, in this game at least.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Anniversaries have never really mattered when it came to new character reveals, I'm struggling to remember if ever had a new character reveal that coincided with an anniversary and I'm running blanks. But yeah I suggest everyone dial back their expectations on Waluigi by quite a bit, I'm starting to believe Geno is one of the next fighters and I don't see him and Waluigi coexisting in the same pass. Waluigi time will arrive someday, but I doubt it will be today.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I think we're all good. Even if we don't see Waluigi in September, I've always felt like he would be the last DLC fighter. Regardless, we're in good standing right now. Just gotta give it some time and see what happens
Agreed. I believe that we shouldn't get hyped up for any rumors that looks favorable for Waluigi like the one from last week. It's important to analyze it and see what comes from it. We just got to be patient. I still think Waluigi has a decent shot of getting in, but we just got to play the waiting game.
Anniversaries have never really mattered when it came to new character reveals, I'm struggling to remember if ever had a new character reveal that coincided with an anniversary and I'm running blanks. But yeah I suggest everyone dial back their expectations on Waluigi by quite a bit, I'm starting to believe Geno is one of the next fighters and I don't see him and Waluigi coexisting in the same pass. Waluigi time will arrive someday, but I doubt it will be today.
It could be possible that both of them can be in the same pass. Granted they are from the same series, Waluigi is first party and Geno technically is third party owned by Square Enix. But we'll have to see.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
there will be 12 DLC characters at the end of SSBU's development including Piranha Plant, there were 11 base game newcomers including echoes - 2 of which were Mario characters (by technicality) - I don't think it's absolutely ridiculous for them to put 2 Mario fighters in Pass 2, especially since there's not that much overlap between what content Geno's Challenger Pack could contain and what Waluigi's could contain. (Not to mention Roy and Corrin were both DLC in 3DS/Wii U)

I would suggest getting Waluigeno in a single Challenger Pack, but the Nintendo website specifically states each one has one fighter - and I don't really know if false advertising laws apply if you get more than you paid for instead of less!

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
Only way I can see us getting both Waluigi and Geno in a single pack is if Waluigi is challenger pack 7-11 and Geno is a bonus, or vice versa. At the same time however I'm really iffy on bonus fighters, I think we could see a few possibly once Fighters Pass 2 is all said and done but not while we're in the middle of the pass, I feel like Sakurai would have told us 'hey, we'll also be releasing a few bonus fighters in between challenger packs'. Theirs also the possibility of Waluigi getting in with Geno as a deluxe, but Geno has so much going for him at the moment that I doubt he's a deluxe and is instead a full-fledged fighter.

I don't think its impossible for us to get both Waluigi and Geno in the same pass, Sakurai has done crazier things before. This is why I'm currently leaning toward Geno in September and Waluigi at the end of the pass, Geno being a fan favorite and to celebrate Mario's 35th, with Waluigi later celebrating Smash Ultimate as a whole and sending the DLC off with a bang if their is truly no more DLC after Fighters Pass 2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't see any bonus characters happening. If Waluigi and Geno is in a literal single pack, that means Geno is a costume and introduced in Waluigi's presentation. Otherwise, they'd both be their own full packs.

They're both highly requested characters, each have their own special niche and abilities that makes them completely unrelated beyond the fact they both "were in a spin-off" and are a Super Mario character. Nintendo does acknowledge Waluigi's massive popularity, which is a pretty big thing of note. Not that it guarantees they'll pick him either. But you can say that for practically every character that is DLC except PP(since Sakurai picked him as a DLC character unrelated to the Passes).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I’m still confused about that Mario sports trademark...
That trademark is like a star of hope for me, even if it wasn't filed by Namco (or Square) like we thought. That being said, I don't think it's most likely to be (directly) related to a Waluigi reveal. Considering the newest Mario Party is called "Super Mario Party", and no previous Mario sports compilation game has been called just "Mario Sports", it's possible they're just calling the next Mario sports compilation that - alternatively Mario Sports is just a brand name to put on the side of boxes, like this:
- basically just to unify all the sports Mario and co. play. Of course, it's not impossible in the slightest for the trademark to have been registered for the "Smash X..." screen in Waluigi trailer, it's not even unlikely, it's just that it's not as likely as those other outcomes (or maybe I'm in denial and don't realise it)

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
That trademark is like a star of hope for me, even if it wasn't filed by Namco (or Square) like we thought. That being said, I don't think it's most likely to be (directly) related to a Waluigi reveal. Considering the newest Mario Party is called "Super Mario Party", and no previous Mario sports compilation game has been called just "Mario Sports", it's possible they're just calling the next Mario sports compilation that - alternatively Mario Sports is just a brand name to put on the side of boxes, like this:
- basically just to unify all the sports Mario and co. play. Of course, it's not impossible in the slightest for the trademark to have been registered for the "Smash X..." screen in Waluigi trailer, it's not even unlikely, it's just that it's not as likely as those other outcomes (or maybe I'm in denial and don't realise it)
Do they really have to trademark it just for a splash screen on a trailer? Also I wonder if Namco is involved with it, that would really help.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Do they really have to trademark it just for a splash screen on a trailer? Also I wonder if Namco is involved with it, that would really help.
I imagine they would have to. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but considering companies (including Nintendo) often file trademarks for things they haven't used in years and don't plan to use any time soon just for protection, it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd have to trademark a name just to appear on a game trailer for 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
I imagine they would have to. I'm not a copyright lawyer, but considering companies (including Nintendo) often file trademarks for things they haven't used in years and don't plan to use any time soon just for protection, it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd have to trademark a name just to appear on a game trailer for 5 seconds.
I’ll be keeping an eye on it, it’s interesting.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Little Mac and Isabelle were Assist Trophies. I wouldn't shed a tear if they stayed that way but I choose to be happy for those that like those characters and I'd appreciate the same respect.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I dunno, SMTV and a Nocturne remaster sure as **** aren't useless. Nintendo's own words say that the partner mini direct is the first of series and we'll see more of it in the future. If anything it seems we won't see a general direct any time soon and the insiders got blown out by this sudden surprise.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Flaming
I do think Nintendo making Waluigi use tennis in AT is an acknowledement to Mario's sport. But would think this is kinda farfetching to claim Waluigi should be wholy sport-themed. Lets remember Peach also uses tennis while having different non-sport moves. It seems more like a sign Waluigi would go with that route if he becomes a fighter.

On the other hand it feels subjective to say Waluigi being classified as a sport professional is a good idea. Not really all fans agree with that idea, especialy enough voices have shown that they want to see Waluigi go on an adventure with Wario and Mario outside sport games.

As for NIntendo's narrow mind for mainline game canon, it's still something they should manage to deal with within their obligation. Just like Nintendo owe Waluigi supportors a good treat, they also owe Mario mainline games a more proper deal. Just because they don't do what they should do doesn't mean we can justify a different fan theory to cater to our need.

If you ask me, I'm fine with any role Waluigi can have. Just if we really go judge the Mario sport games, it doesn't mean to give Waluigi a clear role when he is merely a participant, so that doesn't make me believe Mario sports have "completed" Waluigi in any degree. If that is the case, we would still need a new title that heavily focuses on Waluigi's sport career like how the original Mario Tennis title focuses on Alex.

Not saying it's overoptimistic, just would feel strange to think Waluigi's promotion must happen with Mario anniversary. I mean, Luigi's Mansion 3 clearly owe fans a favor despite it was annoucned in 33th anniversary.
Piss you off, you're not contributing anything of value to the discussion, you're just being contrarian for the sake of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Twirlerena Twirlerena Just to note, your latest image has some swearing in it. ****ty, to be clear. It's probably best you clean up the image and reload it. MSPaint, photoshop, whatever.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Happy 20th anniversary to Waluigi everyone!

Hopefully we can at least get Waluigi trending on twitter for this. I know Nintendo ain't gonna do much but we should still try for Wah's sake:seuss::bluejump::colorful:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Happy birthday Waluigi! Purple boy's two decades old already, that's crazy, never let anyone tell you he isn't a mainstay.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I still got two hours to go but happy birthday to our favorite Purple lad!! Nintendo's meme king and underdog is finally twenty years old! Here's to hoping we get Waluigi in Smash and that Waluigi game sometime in the future!

Staarih

Smash Master
I was today years old when I learned that me and Waluigi share a birthday, cool. Happy 20’s to Waluigi!

Not sure if I’ve ever shown my support here before, but I’ve been actively watching this thread and would welcome Waluigi in Smash with open arms. Here’s hoping to it becoming reality some day!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was today years old when I learned that me and Waluigi share a birthday, cool. Happy 20’s to Waluigi!

Not sure if I’ve ever shown my support here before, but I’ve been actively watching this thread and would welcome Waluigi in Smash with open arms. Here’s hoping to it becoming reality some day!
Happy birthday to you too, then!

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
Happy birthday, you weird little-except-not tennis man. Your silly antics with Wario, hilarious voice, and lovable asshole personality made me love you so much. Here's to a brighter future in your party-crashing career. You earned it.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not sure if I wanted Waluigi in Smash when I could have better characters... however, I definitely want Waluigi (and Wario) to appear in main series games as an alternative villain to Bower or on the Bowser team as bosses.

Top Bottom