• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Wah-volution!: NEW Waluigi Support Thread

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm down for Waluigi being a semiclone of Luigi. Anything to have my big purple boy playable! And now I'm hoping for Whirluigi to be part of the moveset. As an Incineroar main, I can confirm that spin to win is fun!
I've made a brand new moveset for Waluigi recently.

Reminder:
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I actually imagined Waluigi would have a bit of Wario and Luigi in his moveset. Much like how Luigi has some moves that are direct copies of Mario (Side Tilt and Up Smash for example) and Wario has moves that are twisted versions of Mario's moves (Up Smash and Down Smash for exmaple). I imagine Waluigi would have some moves that are variations of Wario and Luigi, perhaps some of their properties would be combined or something. It's an interesting path to take when it comes to Waluigi.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I actually imagined Waluigi would have a bit of Wario and Luigi in his moveset. Much like how Luigi has some moves that are direct copies of Mario (Side Tilt and Up Smash for example) and Wario has moves that are twisted versions of Mario's moves (Up Smash and Down Smash for exmaple). I imagine Waluigi would have some moves that are variations of Wario and Luigi, perhaps some of their properties would be combined or something. It's an interesting path to take when it comes to Waluigi.
To take that further, I feel Waluigi could composite in moves from other Mario characters - specifically Diddy (the whole flexibility thing works for a guy known for being long and skinny), Doc, Yoshi (dair and up smash would suit Wah well), and Paisy. (all those butt-related moves fit sleazy Waluigi way better than modest and innocent Princess Peach)

I don't think anything from DK, Rosa, Jr, Rool, and Plant's movesets could fit Waluigi that well.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Guys, Waluigi is not gonna be a clone. They stated that the dlc are going to be new fighters! I’m expecting Waluigi for #7 and I hope it happens!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Guys, Waluigi is not gonna be a clone. They stated that the dlc are going to be new fighters! I’m expecting Waluigi for #7 and I hope it happens!
I don't remember them ever saying that, and if they did it probably either 1. was exclusively referring to the Passes, or 2. wasn't referring to clones and was just a way of appealing to non-hardcore fans unaware there were no cuts in SSBU. Remember the "new worlds" thing?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be clear, they never used the term "clone" either, which keep in mind clone is not what an Echo refers to. An Echo is strictly a fighter who does not have their own regular number and has the same proportions as another character, using them as a base while having a similar moveset, sometimes almost identical(with often barely any gameplay differences that matter to boot. Do note that they will have a bare minimum of unique taunts and some slight animation differences that can barely affect gameplay too. Those are the lowest effort ones). Sakurai stated that Pass 1 will not have any Echoes.

Clones use a character as a base, but can be wildly different. They still resemble the character. The ones that are the most different are often not labeled a type of clone either, like Ness, who directly used Mario as a base(but got changed up so much you can't even tell anymore after Smash 64). Jigglypuff is similar, but you can tell she's still akin to Kirby. Wolf is an interesting example as that he barely resembles Fox outside of the specials. Whereas Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon more resembled their counterparts(Mario, Kirby, and Samus) closely in comparison. The bigger similarity is the same series.

People don't expect a regular clone, or semi-clone for the same reason as an Echo. Since we're paying full price for that and other content, they expect "pretty much unique". They still clearly often use others as a base either way, but that's just to help start 'em. They aren't meant to be similar to another character. Hero is like the only one that resembles someone, and it's not clear how if he directly used Link as a base or just borrowed some animations specifically. Min Min used Falcon as a base, but they're nothing alike from what I can tell other than an animation or two. I'm likely just not noticing some stuff or it hasn't been talked about enough for me to know.

Technically speaking they could include an echo/clone/semi-clone in Pass 2 and it'd be fine. They didn't say anything about them being barred. There's no false advertising. But it's pretty doubtful as Pass 1 set a precedent. However, seeing as how we just got a Spirit now playable, I wouldn't put any stock into "expectations" in itself.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Something I realised: they took down the Legacy mods, but not Project+, which was built using Legacy TE as a base...

The takedown, assuming it was Nintendo's doing, WAS for Legacy XP, not TE! More likely than not, we're getting SOMETHING - might be Wah, Geno or... ugh, Shadow... either way, I think it's one of those three's time, but I have no clue who.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I tried to make a fan moveset for Waluigi, including music and a Spirit Board.
MTA_Models_Waluigi.png

WaluigiTennis64.png

• Animations and Alternate Colors
    • Up Taunt - Waluigi dons his boxing gloves and pounds them together.
    • Side Taunt - Waluigi twirls his mustaches while looking smugly at the player.
    • Down Taunt - Waluigi takes out a Music Key and laughs while showing it off.
    • Default Color - Tennis uniform, purple, indigo, yellow
    • Alternate Color 1 - Overalls, purple, indigo, yellow
    • Alternate Color 2 - Tennis uniform, red, green, white (Piranha Plant color scheme)
    • Alternate Color 3 - Overalls, green, blue, yellow (Luigi color scheme)
    • Alternate Color 4 - Tennis uniform, green, white, blue (Mario Tennis Aces - Luigi color scheme)
    • Alternate Color 5 - Overalls, brown, beige, yellow (Wrecking Crew - Foreman Spike)
    • Alternate Color 6 - Tennis uniform, plaid red and green, white, yellow (Mario Kart Tour - Bus Driver Waluigi)
    • Alternate Color 7 - Overalls, white, dark-blue, yellow (Wario Land - Wario's in-game sprite)
  • Normal Attacks
    • Neutral Jab Combo - Waluigi dons boxing gloves and performs alternating punches.
    • Forward Tilt - Waluigi punts forward.
    • Up Tilt - Waluigi swings his tennis racket above his head in an arc.
    • Down Tilt - Waluigi performs a leg sweep.
    • Forward Smash - Waluigi stomps the ground in front of him. Can potentially bury the opponent.
    • Up Smash - Waluigi's head grows as he spins.
    • Down Smash - Waluigi performs a split, hitting opponents on either side of him.
    • Dash Attack - Waluigi trips and falls flat on his face, sliding forward a bit.
    • Aerial Neutral - Waluigi spins around rapidly.
    • Aerial Forward Tilt - Waluigi performs a dropkick.
    • Aerial Backward Tilt - Waluigi turns around and swings his tennis racket downard.
    • Aerial Up Tilt - Waluigi performs a bicycle kick.
    • Aerial Down Tilt - Waluigi performs a double-foot stomp.
    • Grab - Waluigi grabs the opponent by the torso.
    • Grab Attack - Waluigi knee-strikes the opponent.
    • Forward Throw - Waluigi sets the opponent on the ground and hits them forward with his golf club.
    • Backward Throw - Waluigi pushes the opponent backwards and kicks them away.
    • Up Throw - Waluigi tosses the opponent upwards and uppercuts them with his boxing glove.
    • Down Throw - Waluigi sets the opponent on the ground and stomps on them with both feet.
  • Special Attacks
    • Neutral Special - Dice Block: A 1-6 dice block appears above Waluigi. Pressing the Special Button a second time will have Waluigi hit it, triggering one of several status effects depending on the number...
      • 1 - Flower (5%)
      • 2 - Slow Motion (10%)
      • 3 - Tiny (35%)
      • 4 - Giant (35%)
      • 5 - Metal (10%)
      • 6 - Curry (5%)
    • Side Special - Fore!: Waluigi takes out his golf club and a golf ball. A sliding bar then appears above Waluigi, and pressing the Special Button again will have Waluigi hit the golf ball, sending it flying and damaging any opponents it hits. The trajectory and speed depend on when the sliding bar is stopped.
    • Up Special - Tennis Serve: Waluigi leaps up high before hitting a tennis ball downwards. The tennis swing can spike opponents, while the tennis ball can hit opponents below.
    • Down Special - Bob-omb X-ing: Waluigi sets a Bob-omb down on the ground. It functions like the Bob-omb item, but it deals less damage and knockback, and Waluigi can only set down one at a time.
    • Final Smash - Drop Rocket: Waluigi performs an electrified kick. If he hits an opponent, they are sent flying and land in front of a soccer net. Waluigi then performs his Drop Rocket Super Strike, making a karate pose before kicking a soccer ball down with both feet. The soccer ball hits the opponent, sending them flying through the net.
  • Music
    1. Waluigi Pinball (Mario Kart DS) [NEW REMIX]
    2. Destruction Dance (Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix) [REMIX]
    3. Jump! Jump! Jump! (Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix)
    4. Waluigi Stadium / Wario Colosseum (Mario Kart: Double Dash!!) [REMIX]
    5. Electrodome (Mario Kart 8)
    6. Mute City (Mario Kart 8)
    7. Big Blue (Mario Kart 8)
    8. Marina Stadium (Mario Tennis Aces)
    9. Bask Ruins (Mario Tennis Aces)
    10. Piranha Plant Forest (Mario Tennis Aces)
    11. Inferno Island (Mario Tennis Aces)
    12. Boss Battle (Mario Tennis Aces)
  • Spirits
    1. Waluigi (Mario Tennis)
    2. Waluigi (Mario Party 3)
    3. Waluigi (Game & Watch Gallery 4)
    4. Waluigi (Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour)
    5. Waluigi (Mario Party 6)
    6. Waluigi (Mario Hoops 3-on-3)
    7. Waluigi (Mario Super Sluggers)
    8. Waluigi (Mario Party 9)

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
1596753974035.png

The beautiful ******* finally got here so I thought it would be a good opportunity to officially throw my hat in with team wah. He isn't my #1 but I love the guy and I can say he's the only character that could actually be added that I would make an effort to force main no matter what. I don't exactly have the highest hopes for him making it this time around but I'd love to be proven wrong. So lets hope our favorite reality breaking cheater managed to swipe a slot and we can put this saga to rest one and for all.

Last edited:

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
When was i
Something I realised: they took down the Legacy mods, but not Project+, which was built using Legacy TE as a base...

The takedown, assuming it was Nintendo's doing, WAS for Legacy XP, not TE! More likely than not, we're getting SOMETHING - might be Wah, Geno or... ugh, Shadow... either way, I think it's one of those three's time, but I have no clue who.
When was it taken down?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You would think they would have taken it down earlier because of Ridley. Why now?
That I don't have a definite answer to, but it's likely because Ridley is part of the base game, and as such nobody is paying for Ridley in specific. If Waluigi, Geno, and/or Shadow become DLC, people would be paying for that character in specific.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
After hearing watching the whole legacy xp debacle go down I would be extremely surprised if one of it's smash originals didn't make it as dlc. Now I think geno feels a lot more likely then waluigi and especially the sonic characters who I frankly think don't have much of a chance at all, but they could always double dip. Also they decided to fill up those extra slots as a new pass or just standalone characters then waluigi probably goes to being one of the most likely newcomers in my eyes.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
After hearing watching the whole legacy xp debacle go down I would be extremely surprised if one of it's smash originals didn't make it as dlc. Now I think geno feels a lot more likely then waluigi and especially the sonic characters who I frankly think don't have much of a chance at all, but they could always double dip. Also they decided to fill up those extra slots as a new pass or just standalone characters then waluigi probably goes to being one of the most likely newcomers in my eyes.
When it comes to Waluigeno, I think both will get in, but they won't be treated equally. Most likely Geno as a full fighter and Waluigi as a Luigi semi-clone.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
When it comes to Waluigeno, I think both will get in, but they won't be treated equally. Most likely Geno as a full fighter and Waluigi as a Luigi semi-clone.
I agree with that sentiment though I don't see waluigi being a clone of luigi any more than wario being a clone of mario. maybe pull some special moves like smash flash did if they want something more subdued like older smash designs but as long as they don't try to make him the "sports" character I think whatever sakurai cooks up will turn out really good.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
I think Waluigi as a fighter and Geno as a costume. That’s not a prediction, that’s what I’m hoping for.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
well an indie is dropping so more than likely were in for a direct next week. Hopefully they don't make us wait a year for another direct lol.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Wah in this Direct, especially if he's a bonus fighter released alongside Geno like the theories claim. That aside, I still stand by my assumption of Waluigi having a 50/50 chance for Ultimate, and a 99% chance to appear as a fighter eventually if Smash continues after Ultimate.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna get my hopes up for Wah in this Direct, especially if he's a bonus fighter released alongside Geno like the theories claim. That aside, I still stand by my assumption of Waluigi having a 50/50 chance for Ultimate, and a 99% chance to appear as a fighter eventually if Smash continues after Ultimate.
I don't think wa is in this direct either, but it's going to be something and at this point I just want to get this over with and end the wait honestly.

Purpleztars

Smash Rookie
I really Don’t think those theories mean anything...In any case, I have hopes for Waluigi becoming a fighter as he rightfully deserves it!

BZocky

Smash Ace
I was looking through the Play Nintendo website for some juicy bits of Mario lore (as any self respecting person would do) when I noticed something missing from Waluigi's page that the rest of the Mario cast has; the "Friends" tab

nofriends.png

He is the only character in the Mario series to lack this tab, which displays other characters from the series, and after looking back he doesn't appear in "Friends" for any other Mario characters. He's even missing from Wario's Friends list. The only exception randomly enough is the Koopalings, who were neglected by Nintendo for decades before making a resurgence in the Wii era. Although, judging by the fact Waluigi does not have them on his page, it seems he does not return their friendship.
So the takeaway here is Waluigi has no friends and the only people who want to be his friends he doesn't care for.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I was looking through the Play Nintendo website for some juicy bits of Mario lore (as any self respecting person would do) when I noticed something missing from Waluigi's page that the rest of the Mario cast has; the "Friends" tab

View attachment 282714

He is the only character in the Mario series to lack this tab, which displays other characters from the series, and after looking back he doesn't appear in "Friends" for any other Mario characters. He's even missing from Wario's Friends list. The only exception randomly enough is the Koopalings, who were neglected by Nintendo for decades before making a resurgence in the Wii era. Although, judging by the fact Waluigi does not have them on his page, it seems he does not return their friendship.
So the takeaway here is Waluigi has no friends and the only people who want to be his friends he doesn't care for.
I love the fact that site lists every single character as a "friend" regardless of morality, like the kids reading are gonna want to hang out with a genocidal looney like Ganondorf.

It's also a little weird which characters they include and exclude, each Pikmin is classed as its' own individual friend, and the amount of Yokai Watch characters takes up the entire screen when scrolling through the list - but somehow there's only one Pokemon? Tingle gets an entry but not Impa? Ever Oasis has friends but not Sushi Striker? Gorons have a shared friend page but no other Zelda species?

Another thing a little interesting to note about that site is that they promoted SSB 3DS/Wii U quite heavily until the EXACT day Bayonetta was announced. Don't ask how I know or remember this.

Purpleztar

Smash Rookie

View attachment 282714

He needs someone that does care about him. I would be that someone.

Purpleztar

Smash Rookie

View attachment 282714

Also you forgot to mention that they don’t have the amiibo tab on his page. Even though he does have an amiibo figure and cards...

BZocky

Smash Ace
Here's an interview I found with Toshiharu Izuno on the Japanese Nintendo website from 2000, which discusses Waluigi's creation, personality and style of play. Excuse the extremely rough/hilarious google translation.

waluigi izuno.png
Link

From what I've been able to gather:
-Waluigi's design was altered very little from Camelot's initial design to final product (Miyamoto changed his hat emblem, Shoe color)
-Izuno describes Waluigi as "a slightly unpleasant type of player"
-Even though it was the first time it was shown, Waluigi's rivalry with Luigi started long before Mario Tennis
-Apparently a Nintendo of America staff member suggested the name "Ginny" for him

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interview I found with Toshiharu Izuno on the Japanese Nintendo website from 2000, which discusses Waluigi's creation, personality and style of play. Excuse the extremely rough/hilarious google translation.

View attachment 282850
Link

-Waluigi's design was altered very little from Camelot's initial design to final product (Miyamoto changed his hat emblem, Shoe color)
-Even though it was the first time it was shown, Waluigi's rivalry with Luigi started long before Mario Tennis
-Apparently a Nintendo of America staff member suggested the name "Ginny" for him
Great find !
I never knew this existed.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

View attachment 282850
Link

I wonder what the hat emblem was before they settled on gamma? I'm guessing a WL, like the proto-Waluigi from that manga.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

View attachment 282714

I mean it lists Ganondorf as friends with Link and Zelda so I'm not sure how reliable this is.

At least they haven't put Ridley up there as friends with Samus.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I mean it lists Ganondorf as friends with Link and Zelda so I'm not sure how reliable this is.

At least they haven't put Ridley up there as friends with Samus.
Yeah, this is totally unreliable. Wario is friend with Peach and Toad, but Yoshi isn't? Toad is friend with Koopa Troopa, Goomba and Bowser and also with Yoshi, but Yoshi is not friend with Toad? What?

Top Bottom